Saag 01

ateno
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Saag 01

#261 Post by ateno »

Garett sits down for some quality time at her computer to see what she can dig up ( :D ) on the winery and on Boduke (Bo Duke?? Is he making wine or moonshine, and does he have an orange air car?).

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner, your right I took name inspiration from that series, though not the character, you (and Garret) win a free reroll in the future.

The winery was owned by a husband and wife, the husband was a older lawyer interesting in wine making and made enough money to start his own winery and work in town only 3 days a week. The ‘Gannet’ was know as a friendly though rural winery for anyone who wanted to come by. The location is about as perfect as one can expect with a view of the ocean and greenery everywhere.

The wine was sold under the Gannet label and was well received and liked locally with a few dozen cases picked up as speculative cargo every so often.

It was sold about 13 years ago, rebranded and renamed. After several months the ‘ Kaiyō Seiei’ opened to much fanfare. It is a large winery with a wedding venue and private meeting room and small housing on site. It is advertised for discriminating clientele (ie rich).

The tasting room is a inside open air style with seating of 4 to 8 person tables with a long and short bar, which holds about 120 tasters. There is a kitchen that serves high end pizza and other expensive snacks. On this level is also a private 30 seat meeting room in the back. On the upper floor is a small apartment just right for 2 people and the basement is the storage room for bottled wine. Experienced human servers staff the room and kitchen. Just east of the tasting room is a terracotta floored outdoor tasting area with umbrellaed tables and a sonic shield for bugs.

The house (previous) is about 75 meters north of the tasting room, across the parking for air ships and small craft. There is no road traffic here.

The other two main buildings are barn like, they are 50 yards west of the tasting room and share a flat gravel area in front with large and small doors. One is the maintenance and vehicle storage, the other is the winery brewing and barrels.

The wine fields are to the north and east of the tasting room and house. With a small field south where there are experimental plots. There are 7 ‘tiny houses’ equally spread among the fields where a small group (no more than 4) can spend the night. In what would be the eighth position is a wedding venue with seating area and gazebo. There are robots that care for the plants routinely: a ‘farm hand’ style that monitors growth, moisture and prunes and a ‘anti-pest’ robot that monitors and takes care of the burrowing and foraging animals.

The staff is housed at a ‘college dorm’ style building 1 kilometer west of the tasting room. There is also a community building and shared kitchen. There are no vehicles except kids grav scooter. there is a bricked path leading to bridge over a fresh water stream that ends near the barn buildings.

Looking at the schedule, there was a wedding last week, this week is the forth week of the winter wines. Dessert wines, white ports, Prosecco and Hearty Chardonnays. They also have a new wine, Tokkie which is billed as ‘lemon-lime flavors, spiked with a bit of ginger, green apple, and even mild peppercorn’. It seems to be a hit.

With some digging:

‘Thane Security’ provides protection for the winery. They hire police and military veterans. ‘Safety for You and Yours’ is the tag line. Veterans in body armor with low profile handguns matched with drone surveillance seem to be their product.

Garrett matches influxes of ships from the capital district with an increase in security at only the winery.

Peachy Clean Cleaners is a deep clean company that comes in about once a month for 12 hours and deep cleans the tasting room, house, tiny houses and wedding venue. Meanwhile the winery is closed and staff have the time off in addition to their regular schedule.

There is a kilometer restriction to incoming flights, they must be prearranged or a ship must be precleared to send down a small craft. There is one traffic lane for in and out of the airspace.

From this you can infer:

The winery hosts some sort of meeting of Nobles of Hiro’s home out of the eyes and spys of the planet.
There is no overt illegal things happening
Boduke has some sort of connection with Peacy Clean
They treat their staff well
The sister ‘Ayako’ is spending to much on security for a winery and has a friend on the air security board.

On to Boduke

Boduke was born and raised as a member of Hiros supporters. At the age of seven he was witness to the fight and even then, he knew something was wrong with it. About 8 years later, he was summarily fired with several others that witnessed the fight and was sent low passage to Saag, leaving his mother behind. He was lucky to get work in the Starport, but being small and experience with intricate cleaning techniques got him i. He worked himself up and got accreditation in the baggage area and was then mentored by the old dangerous cargo transporters. He got the training and was able to get in the next spot when it opened. He has worked it efficiently and clean for many years, making the group he is with his family of choice. Each member of the crew was chosen and trained by him, and they seem very loyal to Boduke. Yes the specialty cargo does not come along very often but they are always ready day and night to work. They also do four hours a shift with the normal baggage people when there is no specialty cargo. Boduke has never been in police trouble, but two of his people have been in a bar fight a few years ago. A fine was accessed and they were on parole for three years.

In the local workers spaceport bar, Hiro gets the idea that Bodukes team are a bunch of haughty rascals, but they are elite at what they do and get paid for jobs they don’t want to do. But when they work with the ‘normal’ crew they keep to themselves and seem to good for the work.

Rik Dzhoovet has little luck, he is allowed to talk to a cargo PR man who leads him to a admin person who search for your cargo but finds nothing. When searching for other missing dangerous cargos;
Admin guy
The only thing is the ruckus of about 10 years ago when a collection of bonsi was shipped to the Baroness Ayako, they arrived dead. There was an investigation, and the Specialty cargos division was found without fault and it was blamed on poor initial packaging. Insurance paid Ayako her money paid. But that’s not you.

Hiro knows better than to ask about the staff, but one of the administrators who woks in accounting has a full credit marker of 2000 credits, which they will happily sign over to you. Basically, they give you a receipt show a empty marker and a separate paper showing a clean marker. They do have to send her a e-mail if you want to do this
Cage Clerk ” Its end of the shift, and the weekend is coming up, if you don’t make up your mind soon, it might wait till First Day Monday

Any Follow ups?

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#262 Post by bsongy »

GM said:
one of the administrators who woks in accounting has a full credit marker of 2000 credits
Hiro declines to purchase the accounting admins debt at this time.

Back at the ship, Hiro gathers the ships officers to share what has been learned.

After everyone has shared what they fount out, Hiro asks "So, what is each of your opinions about robbing the winery?"

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#263 Post by cybersavant »

Gunnar Thunarssen "We need closer intel first. A small group to go in and scout the location."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by joertexas »

bsongy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:40 pm GM said:
one of the administrators who woks in accounting has a full credit marker of 2000 credits
Hiro declines to purchase the accounting admins debt at this time.

Back at the ship, Hiro gathers the ships officers to share what has been learned.

After everyone has shared what they fount out, Hiro asks "So, what is each of your opinions about robbing the winery?"
"Until we have a chance to look around, I don't have an opinion to offer," Garett replies.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by The Bindoner »

Monte:

I'll want to know a lot more about this place, who owns it, what it does, before I agree to robbing it.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#266 Post by ateno »

If you wish to talk to Boduke about 2 trips, that's possible, He has one in basically at your beck and call, though you might travel with civilians.

He will need a day to see what he can come up with.

Remember you have the steak dinner this evening, would you like me to narrate it out with what goes on so we can move on otherwise?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:02 pm Monte:

I'll want to know a lot more about this place, who owns it, what it does, before I agree to robbing it.
Knowledge is power.

And is stealing really the only option? This seems somewhat more serious than just coveting the neighbour's ass. If this goes ahead, there will be consequences.

Happy for you to narrate unless critical to the story

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by The Bindoner »

Monte:

I certainly hope there is a way to do what we need without resorting to theft. Recovering someone's property, as we did on the last world, is one thing, but I'd prefer not to outright steal. he smiles: So, let's prove these are illegal resources, the profits or enablers of crime.

Narrate away, until there is some reason we need to interact with the scene.

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#269 Post by bsongy »

GM said:
If you wish to talk to Boduke about 2 trips, that's possible, He has one in basically at your beck and call, though you might travel with civilians.

He will need a day to see what he can come up with.

Remember you have the steak dinner this evening, would you like me to narrate it out with what goes on so we can move on otherwise?
Hiro agrees that further scouting would be prudent. He would like to go in this first time as civilians, unconnected to Boduke, if possible. It would be best not to be connected to Boduke during this scouting mission, if we intend to return later under his cover story, but will call upon Boduke to make the scouting trip, if necessary.

Hiro look on his hand computer for signs of winery tours, or social events, like balls, galas, wedding, or whatever. Something that they either purchase tickets or use social means to gain access. If he finds something promissing, he offers it to the group. If not, he will resort to using Boduke to gain access.

Later that night, Hiro listens uncommitingly during the steak dinner to the proposal.
Yes, please do narrate the outcome of the steak dinner.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#270 Post by ateno »

Hiro & Nevyn

Roch Jasper gives you the name and address of the Secret Hideaway. Over the comm "Its a place that does not advertise and only caters to those that know the place; I eat there every chance i am on this planet.

Arriving to the address by taxi, the area is a few blocks off a upscale downtown like area.

The number is painted brown into slightly etched brick above a slightly clean alleyway which appears to be cleaned routinely.

Almost 15 meters down the is a dark wood door set into surrounding brick. From the right side a large man steps seemingly ouf of the wall. "Evening gentlemen, I don't recognize you?"

Giving the name of Mr. Jasper and you are let in. You note a small alcove to the right where the bouncer/front door man can stand unobserved.

All the liquors are exquisite, rare and expensive.

The choices of steaks are grass, corn or grain fed. Medium or large size in all cuts.

Roch wants to conform that you will take his cargo in 4 days, he seems a bit anxious for a transport. He will approach you expertly and smoothly at a point when everyone is happy and jovial.

"If you agree now, I can promise several private mailings and shipments from my friends for separate payments."

The rest of the night is quiet and relaxing, Roch gets you a luxury flier to take back to the port.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#271 Post by ateno »

Boduke can set up space on the next trip.

Unfortunately, people cant fly in, only chartered vehicles can go in, unless your friends of the Baroness.

Smiles lightly at Hiro

"When you recon and come back, the next day or so I can have a second charter marked down for emergency maintenance after the passengers board and cancelled. A hour later after that I can signal it available, and you can board. It's a bit dangerous for me, but I am willing, unless you have another idea?"

Boduke

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#272 Post by bsongy »

GM, would the large low berth onboard The Train to the Stars be able to handle one of the large animals Jasper wants us to transport, in case of failure of one of the transport cases?

GM said:
Hiro & Nevyn at the Secret Hideway

All the liquors are exquisite, rare and expensive.

The choices of steaks are grass, corn or grain fed. Medium or large size in all cuts
Hiro orders a simple, 7 year old Bourbon, skipping past the more complicated, pricier and older vintages.
Similarly, rather than order one of the dry aged or premier marbleized steaks, he orders respectable grass-fed, T-bone steak, rare.
...confirm that you will take his cargo in 4 days, he seems a bit anxious for a transport...
"If you agree now, I can promise several private mailings and shipments from my friends for separate payments."

"We are men of action, to mince words does not serve either of us. Whether or not you offer us private mailings and shipments does nothing to persuade us to carry these animals for you. What is necessary for us to agree to take on this freight, is for you to let me know why are you so keen to have us take on these animals quickly. What are you so concerned about?"

Hiro gives Jasper time to answer the question at his own pace. Then, pausing to think, Hiro goes back over the story, repeatedly, insuring that Jasper is telling the complete truth, not leaving anything out.

....LATER....
The Officers of The Train to the Stars, and Boduke at a Neutral Location in the Starport

Smiles lightly at Hiro
Hiro ignores Boduke's quip.
"When you recon and come back, the next day or so I can have a second charter marked down for emergency maintenance after the passengers board and cancelled. A hour later after that I can signal it available, and you can board. It's a bit dangerous for me, but I am willing, unless you have another idea?"
Hiro has Boduke explain the details of the craft we will be traveling in to do the Recon, including flight times, what the cover story for the The Train to the Stars personnel will be, what gear we can bring along, what security is like at the destination and hpow far we will be permitted to roam during the recon.

Hiro also encourages the other Officers of The Train to the Stars to ask Boduke any questions that they can think of.

...Later...

Back onboard The Train to the Stars, away from Boduke, Hiro asks for everyone's coments about going on the recon.

"Do you think we should go on the recon of the winery? If it is not unanimous, we do not go."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by BackworldTraveller »

No harm in a recon. Shall I break out my book?

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by The Bindoner »

I think I would rather enjoy a visit, it sounds like my kind of place.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#275 Post by cybersavant »

Gunnar Thunarssen "Recon is sound, but we should divide up into smaller groups to do that."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#276 Post by ateno »

bsongy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:37 pm
GM, would the large low berth onboard The Train to the Stars be able to handle one of the large animals Jasper wants us to transport, in case of failure of one of the transport cases?
YES, excellent observation

"We are men of action, to mince words does not serve either of us. Whether or not you offer us private mailings and shipments does nothing to persuade us to carry these animals for you. What is necessary for us to agree to take on this freight, is for you to let me know why are you so keen to have us take on these animals quickly. What are you so concerned about?"
"I am concerned about you backing out, I have had 3 other private carriers back out due to either that its 'too dangerous' or they see the crate and say that its 'too big' or just plain scared. I know they are safe in cold sleep, but the longer they are the chances become more than zero."

-Later-
"Do you think we should go on the recon of the winery? If it is not unanimous, we do not go."

Sounds like a yes.

Boduke recommends going out for a nice day, "This is the tourist flight, ".

The brochure includes 8am breakfast in the starport, 45 minute flight, 1 hour tour after check in. Followed by a hour on your own and then lunch and wine at 11am, which lasts until 4 pm. A siesta while catered food is brought in. A dinner and more wine, and flight back at 9pm. The flight includes the meals and 2 glasses of wine, that's paid for.

Bring a stack of cash for everything else."

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#277 Post by bsongy »

"I am concerned about you backing out,
"I can not back out, if I was never in; I have not said 'yes' yet. But you are in luck that we are a risk acceptive group. Lets talk details."

---Later---

Hiro gathers his usual carry items, excluding any weapons that may be illegal, including 2KCr, any join the recon.

Gunnar suggested:
we should divide up into smaller groups to do that."

"Good idea. Gunnar, split the recon into teams of two."
Last edited by bsongy on Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I thought the premise of the recon was an inspection of the venue by the prospective bride, paying parent and vicar?

Are the others sneaking in? If so, how? Under a different cover or just totally covert?

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by joertexas »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:58 pm I thought the premise of the recon was an inspection of the venue by the prospective bride, paying parent and vicar?

Are the others sneaking in? If so, how? Under a different cover or just totally covert?
We can do the bride recon later, if we need it.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#280 Post by ateno »

Who is on what team?

Return to “Koninkrijk - Adventures in a Pocket Empire (Mongoose Traveller)”