Paladin - Have Gun, Will Travel

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Paladin - Have Gun, Will Travel

#81 Post by jemmus »

The men look at each other, and one of nods to the others. Folla us. The group rides toward a large tent, which two men are standing in front of. One holds a large paper and points something on it out to the other. They look up as the guards and visitors approach. Mr. Smith, this fella says that Mr. Cummins sent him to talk to ya. The man addressed is a tall, thin man with an educated, intelligent look about him. He looks at Paladin a little warily, and possibly with a little dread. Please see to it, Mr. Balfour, he says to the man with the paper. Keep them at a good, solid pace.

Sir, did Mr. Cummins provide you with some document giving you permission to discuss the railroad’s business? When Paladin presents his document signed by Cummins, Smith examines it and says, This gives me permission to talk to a Mr. Paladin. I assume that's you, sir. But it doesn’t mention your associates. Please step into the camp office, alone. He leads Paladin into the large tent. Inside are crates, a portable table, and light chairs. Have a seat, sir, he says.

So, Mr. Cummins sent you to find out about the delays with the project. Well, we’ve had our share of breakdowns, mishaps and just general trouble. See that machine on that farthest flatcar, Mr. Paladin? It’s fer drivin pilings into the earth. We have to build a little trestle bridge to span dry creek bed gully. The machine has a clever design, it runs off off steam from the locomotive’s boiler. But there isn’t any water in the boiler. Why? Because a drain cap wasn’t bolted on properly and the water leaked out during the night. Was that because of negligence or incompetence. Or did the bolt nuts just work loose from vibration? Er was it tamperin? I suspect it was tamperin-- sabotage. Whatever the cause, we can’t move forward with the bridge until the locomotive’s tank is filled. And we have two options for that. Wait for a water tank car to bring water from Austin. Those kind of cars aren’t common, Mr. Paladin, it could take a while to come. And for that, we’d have to build a side rail, to uncouple the current train cars and move em to it, so the tank car can couple next to the locomotive and transfer the water.

The second option is fill the engine by hand, with buckets. That would mean carrying 8,000 two-gallon buckets from the nearest pond, which is a half mile away. And getting the landowner’s permission to do that.

I won’t go on with more about the details of operational side of things, but I wanted to give ya an example of how a little thing going wrong can cause serious problems. And problems mean delays, and the Waco & Northwest Railroad Company doesn’t have much patience at all for delays. We got to get this project goin smoothly, so we have to eliminate these mess-ups.

I’ll let ya know that the trouble started around a week ago. An Irishman foreman slapped a Chinaman, name of Chen, for some reason. Chen’s a big fellow, and good at drivin stakes. Chen went after the foreman, punchin and kickin fast. They say he was like a whirlwind. He knocked the foreman flat, and at that the other Irishmen all jumped on him and pummeled him hard before the camp guards could separate em. After that, Chen was all sulky, and walkin around the camp lookin like he meant to git his revenge someday.

It was around then that we started having breakdowns and accidents. The first one was a lantern fire burned up a workers’ tent and some men’s belongings. Then a crane came loose from a flatbed and dropped a steel rail on a Negro fella. Poor man was lucky to only lose part of his leg. Compensatin him for that will throw us even more off-budget. There were some other things, like tools and drill bits bein broken and not reported, or tents blowin away and havin to be chased down when a wind come up. A Mexican worker reported his clasp knife stolen, and there were speculations and accusations. The made hard feelins among the crews, which hurt their efficiency at workin together. Little things, but the interruptions to operations add up. Chen has still going around lookin sulky and givin the Irishmen black looks, so a couple of days ago I confined him to the Chinaman’s tent. And now we still got this engine drained of its water. Which doesn’t mean Chen didn’t do it. He isn’t tied up or anything.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin nodded and said quietly to Gideon: “Wait outside, don’t antagonize anyone.”

Paladin listened to Marlon’s account. It was a lot to chew over. Paladin watched the man, from his initial expressions on first meeting, to his body language and face during the conversation. A reading-a-man’s honesty type roll? - Intuition? [1d20]=6

Composing ideas… an interesting mystery… If there are other characters here, I’d welcome there input or afterwards after the trial time.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by jemmus »

[oocI did a secret GM roll for Paladin's Observation score. Please disregard the results of his US roll above.[/ooc]
While Smith speaks, Paladin observes expressions, movement, posture and way of speaking. The man seems a little nervous, and more than a little careworn. It may be that he's on edge from having to report to an agent specifically sent by Cummins to check on the situation. Cummins is not an easy-going man, and being nervous while reporting to a hired investigator would seem to be pretty natural. As might being worn down by worry, considering the daily setbacks and how delayed the project already is. But could it be something else? Or something else, in addition? There's no way to tell from just observing the man's mannerisms.
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Grognardsw »

”I see..." said Paladin to Marlon. "Well, you and I have the same goals, and so does Cummins. This operation needs to get back on track, and I want to help. Getting and keeping things on schedule this week can mean a bonus for you.” Paladin knew money was the biggest motivator.

“From the letter, you see I’m authorized to give orders. I’d like to think they’re not orders, but just plain sensible precautions you’d agree with. We’re partners in this, not competitors.” Paladin hoped this cooperative tone would reduce Marlon’s worry.

“I have a group of men who will be eyes, ears and enforcers. I’d like your help determining where to assign them.”

“Some items…

1) Which pieces of big equipment are critical to the job? I’ll have them guarded.

2) What is the effect of missing deadlines? Do employees get penalized, or get less bonus? If there is no impact, then Chen (or whoever) has motivation to sabotage because why not? If there is financial impact, then Chen would seemingly be hurting himself.

That would imply the saboteur is getting paid separately, to offset wage losses from Cummins.

3) Are there other agitators or malcontents?

4) If competing companies are behind the sabotage, with one of your employees acting as a spy… do we know from work records or scuttlebutt if anyone worked in the past for Caine or Ettiene?

5) I’d like to set a lure for the saboteur. Announce a certain shipment or piece of equipment that would be a prime target. Put this fictitious thing in a certain tent that is made known. The tent is watched discretely and someone is inside. Maybe we catch the varmint.

Now about the water need. How about a six-horse wagon bringing out cisterns?”

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by jemmus »

Smith replies, Everything out here is crucial. Mr. Cummins runs a tight ship, we don't have any duplicate equipment except for some a couple of sledge hammers, picks, and hand tools. But at the moment, we move on we have to build a trestle bridge over a gully. For that, we need the piledriver. That's that piece of machinery on the front flatcar. And for that, we need the locomotives steam engine runnin.

As for missin deadlines, the workers don't git penalized. They don't git a bonus for beatin deadlines either. Mr. Cummins believe that every man should do an honest hard day's work for his pay. If the delay is because of the workers, the foremen git a warnin. If there's a consistent pattern of the men lolligaggin around, it could mean the foreman's job. Whatever the cause of the delay, it could mean the Project Manager's job, at any time.

But yer right, Chen doesn't have any reason to want the job not to slow down. I'd like to just fire him and eliminate his a possibility for mischief. But he works for a contractor, and the contractor has already been paid for a month's work. And I don't have any extra budget for replacin him. And as I said, he's a good steel driver. Drives around 14 spikes to another man's 10.

I already got four guards watching the camp all night, in shifts. They were hired to watch for outlaws and Comanches, but now they're doing double-duty. Watchin outside the camp, and inside it too. That doesn't make me feel too good. I ain't so worried about robbers. We got a 39 men here, and they're strong and salty. We can arm about half of em with rifles and shotguns pretty quick if we need too. I don't know of any robber gang in Texas that's that big. The Comanches, though, that's a concern. They naturally don't want railroads extending west closer to the Comancheria country and the buffalo herds. I ain't herd of a big bunch a Comanche riders comin this far east in a long time. But you never know about Comanches. That war chief Iron Shirt has got em stirred up and actin bold.

I don't know of any other malcontents. But the foreman can't understand half of what's bein said among the crews. Mexicans and Tejanos speaking Spanish to each other, Chinamen speakin Chinese to each other, and Irishmen speaking Irish to each other, when they don't want to speak English. The Negro men have a kind of slang they use among themselves that can be hard to make out. Bottom line is, if there's another malcontent, the crew foremen either don't know or ain't saying. Everybody's malcontent in rail-layin camp. It's back-breakin work, and the pay for basic labor isn't that good.

At the mention of Caine and Etienne, the worried, haggard man seems troubled and afraid for a moment, before he pulls himself up. As for "Caine" and "Etienne," Mr. Paladin, I just don't know the names. I guess I ought to, if Mr. Cummins mentioned em to you. I may have seen Etienne's name in the paper before. If I recall, it was something about some grand ribbon-cuttin event or other in Austin. I didn't pay it no attention, I don't much about those kind a stories.

The self-trained track construction engineer's eyes light up at the suggestion of moving water for the locomotive by wagon. Mr. Paladin, here's something no many train engineers of tank constructors. One gallon of water at this low sea level on the plains weighs 8.5 lbs or more. Tons of weight haf to be moved....

Smith thinks for a minute at Paladin's suggestion about setting up a baited trap. It seems to Paladin that he thinks a little too long, as if considering past events and a variety of permutations of possible future outcomes. And then his face goes stone-cold poker faced. It seems that the nervous man arrives at a decision. We could try that, Mr. Paladin. But I don't have any budget for it. We could call it... a saddlebags letter from headquarters. And a crate labeled "STEAM ENGINE I797 PARTS AND TOOLS. Somethin like that. We'd need the crate delivered, filled to appropriate weight. By tomorra.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by jemmus »

Smith says, Let's give that idea about a wagon some thought.... He thinks a little, then starts writing down figures on a paper. The locomotive takes right around 20,000 gallons of water. An eight-horse team can pull.... He does some calculating. 24,000 lbs. That's 2,891 gallons of water. I don't know if we could find a tank that big that would fit on a wagon. If we could, we'd need 8.3 round trips to fill the loco. The trip from the nearest overhead water tower would be around 1 1/2 hours.
A day and a half, if we push it. Then using two two-man pumps, pump maybe 1,000 gallons of water into the locomotive per hour. Around 2.9 hours to empty the tank. So around 4 1/2 hours for the inbound trip and pumping, then around a 1 1/2 hours again for the outbound trip. Six hours per cycle. Time 8.3 cycles equals 49.8 hours. Over four days-- if we do it around the clock.

By that time, we might have the water tank car brought from wherever the company can find one. But that's an uncertainty. I think we need to try the wagon-hauling idea while we're waiting, instead of just setting on our hands. I'll git on it. Thank you for the suggestion, Mr. Paladin.

Any errors in the math are GM's, not Marlon Smith's. :)
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Grognardsw »

At the mention of Caine and Etienne, the worried, haggard man seems troubled and afraid for a moment, before he pulls himself up. “As for "Caine" and "Etienne," Mr. Paladin, I just don't know the names.”
Paladin tried to judge if Marlon’s expression signifies he is lying and knows of Caine or Etienne. He had some suspicions.

Put a guard on the piledriver and pump. If that pump can fit in your tent here, move it in.”

“How many foremen do you have? Do you trust them all?”

“Is there another project manager besides yourself?”

“Is there a Mexican, Chinese, and Irishman who you really trust, that you offer a private reward to if they give leads about who saboteur is?”

“If that doesn’t work, go more broadly and post notices for reward for information leading to the capture of saboteur?”

Regarding laying a trap…“We could try that, Mr. Paladin. But I don't have any budget for it. We could call it... a saddlebags letter from headquarters. And a crate labeled "STEAM ENGINE I797 PARTS AND TOOLS. Somethin like that. We'd need the crate delivered, filled to appropriate weight. By tomorra”

Paladin got the weight details. “I’ll bring it back either tonight or tomorrow morning. With more men for guards. Leak word out about the ‘important delivery.’

Paladin noted the numbers and weights for the water wagon and horses. He was having difficulty with the math… The horse wagon idea was time consuming and an additional expense vs. waiting potentially longer. He’d let Cummins make the call.

Then he remembered…
That would mean carrying 8,000 two-gallon buckets from the nearest pond, which is a half mile away. And getting the landowner’s permission to do that.
What if we use that pump you mentioned to fill the wagon tanks with the pond water? That would be a lot faster than going back and forth to Austin.”
This is probably not necessary and is easier to hand wave for the sake of moving the game along, but Googling “how big is a 20,000 gallon tank” and “how much volume is 2,891 gallons of water,“ and using that equation, I’m not sure a wagon tank is practical enough, but also no 1875 train tank car either for 20k. Perhaps two rail tanks on two cars. By that same logic, two horizontally laid cistern water tanks (like those in water towers) in two wagons drawn by two teams.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by jemmus »

Earlier in the day of the trial, in the late morning....

Paladin, William, and Gideon McLaury get directions to the First Baptist Church. They arrive to find a nice high-ceilinged red brick building with a whitewashed steeple. But it being a Baptist church, it has no belfry or bells, as would a Catholic church or mission. It's surrounded by pecan and live oak trees and a nice mowed lawn. But the doors are locked, and no one responds to Paladin's knocks on them.

After more inquiries, they find the Silver Dollar Saloon. The doors are closed at this time of the morning, but not locked. It's not as nice as the Iron Front Saloon or even the modest Drowver Hotel, but it's decent enough. A man with a vest and string tie sits in a chair, his head lying on his folded arms on the tabletop before him. He snores with a peaceful and contented-- but horribly loud-- regular rhythm. A man with a handlebar moustache and goatee in moving clean beer glasses and shot glasses from under the counter to upside down on a patterned cloth on the bar. He looks up and checks the three strangers over. The riders notice he looks at their gunbelts and the handles of their firearms with an at least... educated interest. Good mornin, gentlemen. Is it still mornin? He makes a show of looking at a standing pendulum clock at the far end of the room. If I can make it out right... it's Beer:30! But my eyes aren't that good. It might already be Whiskey:30. He smiles, then looks at the passed out man. Sorry about him. He's a regular, and a good ole boy. Seems like last night he just couldn't round up boots and drive em toward where he wanted em to go. What will you gentlemen have?

Gideon says, Ah'm alright, fer now. The Silver Dollar Saloon. I just came in to take a look. He puts a quarter dollar coin on the bar and looks around. This is where the famous Poker Alice runs her tables, am I right? The man leaves the quarter on the bar for now, nods to McLaury, and says, Yer right about that, sir. The lady is here regular, and she runs a tight game. A high stakes table-- some game are two bits ante, one dollar limit on a raises. "Poker Alice" is what hicks who don't know the wida's real name call her…. He twists the ends of his handlebars and smiles with a twinkle in his eye. Gideon hauls out another quarter and lays it on the counter and eyes the man back. The man says, We who know the wida Mrs. Alice Iver well call her "Mrs. Iver." She appreciates that, from among her friends. She's confided with her most trusted friends other confidences.... He smiles and strokes his goatee.

Gideon puts another silver quarter dollar on the bar top and says, Alright, what’s the rest of it? The bartender says, She’s lost most of her accent, but she’s originally from England. Come over with her family when she was a girl. Her American husband used to take her along to games, and she picked up on gamblin quick. When he died, she was left with nothin, so she took up gamblin herself.

Gideon says, Ya ended yer sentence with a period that time, so I expect that’s the end of the story. I’ll tell ya what. You watch my back when I’m in the Silver Dollar and I’ll watch yers. Deal?. He flips a quarter onto the counter. The man takes the quarters and says, Surely, partner. Welcome to The Silver Dollar Saloon!

When Paladin asks about hiring guards, the bartender says, I can help ya out with that. Pay for guards is $3 per day. And a one-time finder’s fee of $2 for one to three men, higher for more. Experienced gunfighters call their own price, starting at around $4 a day. As ya might imagine, some of them fellas ain’t innocent Sunday school boys, if ya know what I mean. Finder’s fee is $3. It might take two or three hours to hire guards, longer fer gunmen. What’s yer order?
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Grognardsw »

Earlier that morning…

At the church, Paladin wasn’t surprised to find no one home.

“William, do you have a pen or pencil and a piece of paper?”

If so, Paladin wrote a note to Mrs. Potter: “Dear Mrs. Potter, you come recommended as a Chinese translator. I can make generous fee or church donation for your service. Inquire with Paladin, Dowser Hotel. Thank you.” He stuck the note in the seam between the church doors where it couldn’t be missed.

At the Silver Dollar Saloon, Paladin hoped that Gideon’s expanding gambling habit didn’t get him in trouble.

Paladin listened to the bartender. Imagining Cummins grumbling about money, he felt obligated to negotiate.

“I’ll take three men for $2 each for three days to start, with possibly more time. If the job is successful, there is a $3 bonus. I’ll need them by 4:00 pm. If we have a deal, I’ll take a beer.”

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by jemmus »

In the late morning at the Silver Dollar Saloon in Austin
The bartender replies, I don't know what kind of men I can get at that pay. But I'll try. He draws a beer for Paladin. That'll be 5 cents.

Around 1:20 PM at the rail construction camp
Marlon Smith replies to Paladin's questions.

“Put a guard on the piledriver and pump. If that pump can fit in your tent here, move it in.”
I have four men guarding the camp. All night too. But I'll tell them to pay special attention to the piledriver. We don't have a pump, it will have to come from Austin.

“How many foremen do you have? Do you trust them all?”
We have four foremen for four crews. The crews tried to divide themselves up by Anglo, Negro, Mexican and Chinese. That didn't work, cause the ones that speak another language was all speaking, and nobody knew what they were sayin. And they were startin to act clannish to each other. She we had to split em up and make mixed crews. The foremen are all Anglos, three Texans and one Arkie. They haven't given me any reason not to trust em.

“Is there another project manager besides yourself?”
I have a assistant project manager. John Behrens, I've known him for years. You seen him and me discussin when ya rode up.

“Is there a Mexican, Chinese, and Irishman who you really trust, that you offer a private reward to if they give leads about who saboteur is?”
No, I don't really mix with the workers. It's against company policy for company officers to fraternize with the workers. Kind of like in the military, if you're familiar with that, and expect about every able-bodied man around our age is. Got to stay a certain distance from the workers to keep their respect. Railroad camp mutinies have happened.

“If that doesn’t work, go more broadly and post notices for reward for information leading to the capture of saboteur?”
Smith ponders that for a bit. I think that would be a last resort. That could be an embarrassment to the company, admittin to the crews that we got a problem. He starts to say something else, but reconsiders.

“What if we use that pump you mentioned to fill the wagon tanks with the pond water? That would be a lot faster than going back and forth to Austin.”
That would save some time on hauling water from Austin. But we'd have to pump the water by hand twice. From the pond to the wagon and from the wagon to the engine's tank. But there's a bigger problem of gittin the landowner's permission to take the water. People know the railroad's involved, they want top dollar for anything. Mr. Cummins could git it done, but it would take time. And that's what we don't have enough of.
This is probably not necessary and is easier to hand wave for the sake of moving the game along, but Googling “how big is a 20,000 gallon tank” and “how much volume is 2,891 gallons of water,“ and using that equation, I’m not sure a wagon tank is practical enough, but also no 1875 train tank car either for 20k. Perhaps two rail tanks on two cars. By that same logic, two horizontally laid cistern water tanks (like those in water towers) in two wagons drawn by two teams.
I think it's interesting enough that we can keep it in and not handwave it. It's a calculation that Smith would do.
Smith does some calculations, then takes out Waco & Northwest letterhead and drafts a letter. He seals it in an envelope. Mr. Paladin, you're ridin back to Austin, correct? Could I ask you to deliver this to Mr. Cummins? Or if he's not in, leave it with his secretary?
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Grognardsw »

Earlier at the Silver Dollar Saloon...

Paladin paid the nickel and drank the beer.

“If they make the bonus, it totals the $3 your asking for. It just motivates them to do a good job. Like a bartender provides good service for a tip,” Paladin said with a wink. “I’ll be back at 4:00 for the men, and your tip.”

At the rail spur site...

Paladin listened to Marlon’s answers, none of which helped shed light on the matter. The technical problems the crew faced meant meeting Cummins three-day deadline for resuming work would be an expensive challenge. Maybe that water tank rail car would come and they could forego the complicated but necessary wagon water tank and pump idea. But it still meant building a side rail for the cars. Cummins would hopefully have that water tank rail car schedule.

Then there was the saboteur(s) to deal with. Paladin pondered what he had learned. With workers not getting penalized for missing deadlines, that meant at best they didn’t care about delays, and at worst could be causing them. More days on the job meant more pay.

Cummins would have to change his pay philosophy and put in place penalties and bonuses. That way workers would get angry if others cost them money, and as a group work harder to get the bonus. The net effect would hinder saboteurs; other workers would be more likely to not tolerate it or to turn them in.

In the current model, the foremen could get punished, which likely meant they weren’t the saboteurs (unless one was a spy saboteur for Caine or Etienne.) Paladin was still troubled by Marlon’s reaction to those two competing rail barons... “At the mention of Caine and Etienne, the worried, haggard man seems troubled and afraid for a moment, before he pulls himself up...” That will call for more exploration.

Another troubling thing about Marlon was his hesitancy about the saboteur trap..”Smith thinks for a minute at Paladin's suggestion about setting up a baited trap. It seems to Paladin that he thinks a little too long, as if considering past events and a variety of permutations of possible future outcomes. And then his face goes stone-cold poker faced. It seems that the nervous man arrives at a decision”. Could it be the project manager was just nervous? One would think someone in charge like him, with his experience, would be past nervousness.

Anyway, with the language barrier, the foreman had their work cut out for them. Cummins should require a trusted translator serve with every crew; another recommendation Paladin would give.

“I’ll deliver it to Mr. Cummins,” said Paladin, accepting the letter. He made a mental list of other things:
- three pumps, the extra in case the of sabotage
- the saboteur lure-trunk, weighted contents, a tent for it
- more men
- a Chinese translator
- water tanks, big wagons, horses. Exact numbers to be determined.
- telling Cummins the current situation, wagon vs train water option, cost analysis, and worker pay model recommendations
- when back in camp, talk to foreman who got beat up by Chen
- talk to the other foremen
- look into Marlon Smith more

Cummins would hate these mounting costs. Would they be worth it? Cummins would have to decide.

“I’ll be back tonight” he said to Marlon.

Paladin left, collecting Gideon and William. He briefed the two men on the conversation. “Did either of you see or hear anything unusual in the camp while I was in the tent?”

They rode back to Austin for the trial. Along the way, Paladin opened and read Marlon’s letter.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by jemmus »

Paladin left, collecting Gideon and William. He briefed the two men on the conversation. “Did either of you see or hear anything unusual in the camp while I was in the tent?”

William listened in on the main business at hand: Paladin's conversation with the project manager for the Waco & Northwest Railroad's construction of a line west from Austin to Fredericksburg: Marlon Smith. He saw that the construction camps' workers were divided into four crews with members of mixed ethnicities and languages. He also saw the man who'd been discussing holding a large paper-- apparently some kind of plan-- and discussing it with Smith approach a crew's Anglo foremen. The man is missing a part of an arm, from the elbow down. Rail injury or old war casualty, it's impossible to know without asking. Yer gonna have to push yer boys today, Jerry. We can't drive the piles for the bridge over the gully. But we can start layin the line on the other side of it. But we have carry everything over to the other side by hand. The survey is already done, but given the circumstances of hauling by hand, I want to make sure it's perfect. I'll do it again and start laying down guide markers. We want to get two miles of track laid today.

The foreman slowly replies in a Cajun-ish accent, Two miles, Mr. Behrens? Humpin creosote and rails up and down on foot through a six foot gully? In this hotdamn hot Texas June sun? My wife gave me a piece a a** and this kinda order for my birthday, Mr. Behrens. And they was both too big. He smirks. Mr. Behrens gets it and laughs a good laugh. But the foreman gets serious. Somebody might just drop dead like that, Mr. Behrens.

Behrens's brows furrow. That won't happen, Jackie. Assign one man from your crew to carry buckets of water for the crew. And have him keep food from the mess comin to them. Keep going with the track layin until 9:00 PM tonight... 10:00 if you can. It will be cooler then, and the workers will have gotten their second wind.... It's like back in the war, Jackie. March, fight, march some more, dig a trench all night, sleep. Next day, do it again. We all did it back then, yer men can do a little of the same today. The orders are from the top. We have to move.

The man moves on to the next crews and discusses with their foremen.

Paladin William, and Gideon push their horses to get back to Austin in time for the 2:00 PM trial. Paladin slows to a walk for a minute and opens Smith's letter to Cummins.
June 9, 1873
Dear Mr. Cummins:
I hope you are well in this hot late Spring weather. The Company's investigator Mr. Paladin visit the Construction Site today, along with two other men. One seemed an educated gentleman, the other a common gambler or drifter type who does not work with his hands. All three men were well-armed , Mr. Paladin with two pistols and the other men with pistols and rifles. I did not make the other men's acquaintance, and they were not invited to participate in my discussion with Mr. Paladin. As instructed by your Letter, I answered Mr. Paladin's questions and shared full information about the current progress on the Austin-Fredericksburg Rail Project.

We are making progress, but are delayed in construction of the trestle bridge over the Gully leading to Spring Creek by mechanical problems with the Locomotive. The Engine is inoperative and the Piledriver cannot be put to use. While we are resolving the problem, construction of track on the other side of the Gully toward Fredericksburg will be done. Upon the return of functionality of the Engine, the trestle bridge over the Gully will of course link the two.

Please confirm that Mr. Paladin is indeed an agent in the employ of the Company. It would be appreciated if you might provide a physical description of the gentleman, for verification purposes. I am sure, Sir, that you will understand my appreciation for the need for Prudence. Upon such verification of identity, I will further cooperate with Mr. Paldain in his inquires.

With highest regards,
Marlon Smith
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin listened to Gideon and Williams account with interest. “We’ll ride back tonight, set our saboteur lure, and embed ourselves in the camp to watch, guard, and move this rail forward.”

Paladin put Marlon’s letter back in the envelope. He didn’t try to hide he opened it. Paladin had some doubts about Marlon’s nervousness. Perhaps, as the letter implied, Marlon didn’t entirely trust Paladin hence his moments of hesitancy. Still…

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by jemmus »

Paladin checked his mail at the U.S. post office for western Austin. The was no letter from the Bexar County Cattlemen's Association. But there was one from Miss Mary Elizabeth Potter with an Austin street address. It says:

June 9, 1873
Dear Mr. Paladin,
I would like to thank you for your message, and for your sympathy and care for the Chinese railroad workers. I am afraid that my knowledge of the Chinese language is to poor for me to be of any assistance to you. I can say a few words, but they are only about daily life things such as food, clothing and household items. And I can speak on matters of the Soul to some extent.

If you would like to visit us at the First Baptist Church of Austin, Sunday early service is at 8:00 AM and regular service is at 10:00 AM. Evening service is at 6:00 PM. Wednesday service is also at 6:00 PM. I am there at all of the services, if you would like to make my and the other members of the congregation's acquaintance. I would humbly submit that getting to know the members of the church is a good way to make abstemious, upright, and caring friends in Austin.

Sincerely yours,
Mary Elizabeth Potter
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin sighed at the lack of response from the cattlemen.

While respecting others’ religions, Paladin wasn’t a devout man himself. He pocketed Miss Potter’s letter and made his way to the Marshall’s office. There he checked the Wanted Boards for the picture of John Westin Harding, Sam Bass, James Brown Miller, and any other local criminals. Paladin studied their faces, and asked if there were extra copies of the notices for him to take for future reference.
jemmus wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:38 am Current rewards, June 10, 1873 Austin Statesman

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE - $300 REWARD
Train Robber SAM BASS
Last seen on March 19, 1873 in Round Rock, Williamson County
UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD COMPANY, Congress Street, Austin, Texas

$350 REWARD
is offered by the Bexar County Cattlemen's Associate, San Antonio, Texas,
for the capture or elimination of notorious horse and cattle rustler King Fisher.
Known to operate with a gang throughout South Texas and beyond the Mexican Border.

$250 REWARD
For the the body, alive or dead, James Brown Miller. Also known as Killer Miller and Deacon Jim.
WANTED FOR MURDER of his Grandparents, Brother-in-Law, and Former Deputy U.S. Marshal Gus Bobbit, et cetera.
Known to habitually attend Methodist Church Services. Formerly served as Marshal of the City of Waco in McLennan County, Texas. Rumored to wear an Iron Plate under his jacket. Last seen in May 1873 in Belton, Bell County, Texas.
Report claim of reward to the Texas State Police Office in Austin City, Texas

REWARD -$50 CASH- FOR ARREST AND CAPTURE OF JOHN WESLEY HARDIN
For the cold-blooded murder of Nasty Jim Talbot outside of the Traildust Saloon, Austin, Texas.
June 9, 1873.
Last seen headed north in Austin on a bay mare with white blaze and stockings.
Known to be from out west, El Paso area.
Caution - Already has a reputation as a dangerous killer. If you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t get yourself killed or wounded. Just report to the nearest legitimate law enforcement officers and see if they can get you your reward. We don’t have the time.
Warning – A false report is a crime. A serious one.
A drawing of the criminal’s face is in the Marshal’s office.

Then Paladin went to the Texas Rangers office and inquired if the rangers had returned from San Marcos, and if so what happened.

Then Paladin went to the Drover Hotel for lunch.

Inside the Drover Hotel…

Getting there earlier then the others, Paladin ordered a beer while he waited.

"Anything interesting happen the last few days?" he asked the bartender.

He glanced about for any fine ladies of distinction with whom to engage in clever repartee.

Paladin looked at the newspaper at the end of the bar, looking as usual for opportunities to offer his services.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by jemmus »

One of the men in the Marshall's office replies, I don't think we have any extra posters, but let me check. He goes over to a desk and rifles through papers. He takes one and brings it over to Paladin. Sam Bass. Hit the jackpot and robbed $10,000 from a trouble. You can have it. Good luck, lot a men lookin for that boy.
Somes for the reward, somes for a piece a 10 grand, and somes hopin to join up with him.

One-armed Rangers Captain Wilson is alone in the Texas Rangers office, doing paperwork at his desk. Good morning, Mr..... It takes him just a moment to recall. I'm sorry, Mr. Paladin. At Paladin's question about the Rangers' and William and Gideon's trip to rustlers' farmhouse, he says, Your friends ably guided the detachment to place. They're all good trackers, and the were able to find two tracks. An older one of a rider who-- or whose horse-- was bleeding profusely. And a later one of three horseman. The followed those tracks a ways to the north. But the light began to fail, and the needed to escort the witnesses Mr. Moore and Mr. McLaury back to Austin for this mornin's trial.
By the way, how did that come out? Please fill me in later.

The group was takin a short route to Austin from that old farmhouse in Blanco County. They come across four Comanches a few hundred yards away, sittin their horses and watchin. Often when ya see a small group of Comanches doing that, they're actin as bait for a bigger group. This was not much more than 10 miles west of Austin, by the highway to Blance.
Lieutenant Kyle sent Mr. Moore and Mr. McLaury on to Austin, then the Rangers charged the Comanches. The focused fire on one of them and dropped him. That run the others off. But in the action, Lieutenant Kyle took a serious wound to the chest and Private Denton get a serious wound to an arm. We sent out some other Rangers who'd just come in from weeks in the field dog-tired. A Comanche raidin party just 10 miles from Austin-- that ain't somethin ya ignore for long.

It looks like Kyle and Denton will survive, but they're weak. They won't be good to ride for a couple of months. We'll try to get together another attachment to go after the stage robber gang. But that will depend on what happens with the Rangers who went after the Comanches. If it's a choice between outlaws and Comanches, generally we have to go after the Comanches. Outlaws are generally just after money and property. But Comanches will massacre all the men and boys, abduct the women and girls, kill all the cattle and burn everything down. They're generally by far the more serious threat requirin manpower and immediate attention.

At the Drover, the bartender replies to Paladin, Fella name Nasty Jim Talbot got hisself shot dead outside the Trail Dust Saloon night before last. Fella name of John Wesley Hardin did it. They say he's killer. Killed his first man when he was 16 years old. You can read about it in yesterday's paper. He gestures to a newspaper lying at the end of the bar. https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 69#p678969

The bartender continues. They're also some excitement about a shooting contest this evenin. We got some gentlemen guests with their ladies staying here to watch it.

Last seen headed north in Austin on a bay mare with white blaze and stockings.
Known to be from out west, El Paso area.
Caution - Already has a reputation as a dangerous killer. If you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t get yourself killed or wounded. Just report to the nearest legitimate law enforcement officers and see if they can get you your reward. We don’t have the time.
Warning – A false report is a crime. A serious one.
A drawing of the criminal’s face is in the Marshal’s office.
Paladin can roll separate Observation rolls to try to commit the wanted posters' images to memory. With any successes, could you add a note to your character sheet for our future reference?
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Grognardsw »

“Thank you Marshall,” said Paladin, taking the notice for Sam Bass.

Observation 13 [1d20]=11
Paladin set the wanted criminals pictures in his mind.

At the Rangers office, Paladin listened to the account of William and Gideon. Comanches that close to Austin was concerning.

When asked about the trial, Paladin explained that the two criminals were convicted for buying stolen horses, receiving sentences of several years.

“Their relationship with other rustlers, up to that Harry Adler who is moving them, was helpful in gathering evidence. I suspect the murderer rustlers your looking for have interacted with them. My guess would be there are ties to that King Fisher fellow too. That letter I found, which you now have, should hopefully lead to some arrests.”

“Captain, I know the Rangers are stretched thin. If you’re looking for paid help to take down the stage robber gang, or the horse rustler operation, I may be able to help.”

At the Drover Hotel, Paladin listened with interest to the bartender’s story about John Wesley Hardin. He was one of the posted wanted criminals he had read about earlier. The night before last; that could mean Hardin could be a long way from Austin if he ran after the shooting.

“I’m thinking of participating myself in the shooting derby,” commented Paladin.

Paladin, noting the Wells Fargo situation in the newspaper...
REWARD OFFERED
$250 in Silver Dollars and Bank Notes
For information leading to the arrest and conviction of Stagecoach Robbers and Murderers on the Austin - Fredericksburg highway.
WELLS FARGO OVERLAND COACH LINES COMPANY
Commerce Street
Austin, Texas
... jotted a note on the back of his business card, put it in a Drover Hotel envelope, and left it to be mailed to Wells Fargo in Austin.

He then saw his colleagues come into the bar.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Grognardsw »

8:15 am, Saturday, June 13
Austin, TX

Paladin walked out of Cummins office, fed up with the man. Now he could get on with the Wells Fargon job.

He stopped off at the bank, then decided to find his friends, checking the Drover Hotel. If no one is there, Paladin will leave notes for his friends that he is not going to San Marcos, and to meet him at the Drover for lunch.

Next, Paladin visited the town doctor to see if DT is there. He knew doc was looking for business there. Paladin left a message for DT to the same effect.

Paladin heard the whistle of the 8:54 train and saw it rumble away. Good luck Virginia.

Last edited by Grognardsw on Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin went to a horse seller to see the going rates for a strong horse, and the trade in value of his current horse.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by jemmus »

At the Austin train station and rail yard, a train waits with a locomotive with a good head of steam already up. The palpable feel of the intense heat and pressure within the boiler and the power of the great, tall, heavy steel machine creates a kind of expectant and tense excitement on the platform. Four railroad guards with pistol belts and shotguns and scatterguns stand at different areas of the platform, watching over the waiting passengers. There are a good number of them, maybe nine dozen or so. Paladin notes that the consist is the engine's coal tender, a first class coach, three third class coaches, and livestock car, and a caboose. Two conductors mill about with quick steps, inspecting the interior of the coaches and readying the livestock car. The lead conductor stands on the steps of the center coach, looks at his pocket watch, and calls out in a clear voice, The train will depart in 15 minutes. Livestock will be boarded first. Horses must have bridles and be hitched to an internal rail. Dogs and cats must be in pens. Swine, sheep, goats and chickens can be free in the car, but the railroad bears no responsibility in the event of escape, injury, or loss of life. No animals are allowed in the coaches. No exceptions. Prepare to board livestock, horses first.

Men walk horses up a slatted wooden ramp the second conductor (who seems a little countrified rancher or farmer-like in his mannerisms) has set up for the livestock car. The only other animals are a litter of eight weaned piglets that have been decorated with blue cotton ribbons tied around their necks. A family of six in their Sunday best oversee getting the intelligent little things up the ramp. A girl of around 11 shyly presents a request to the conductor. He says in a loud voice, I'm sorry, miss, passengers cannot ride with their livestock in the livestock car. No exceptions. If we let one passenger do it, we have to let all of em do it. The lead conductor calls, Board! and the passengers file to present their tickets and board the train. It seems that the Waco & Northwest Railroad has done a pretty precise count of the number of customers and seats needed, while allowing for any last minute purchases. The seats in Paladin's third class coach are narrow and pretty elbow to elbow for the passengers. And almost every seat is filled, so that the waste in fuel of pulling another coach is avoided. The family of six with the herd of piglets has to split into four separate groups to find seats. And at, that a long 4-year-old boy has to sit on his mama's lap. Paladin sees through the window the rail guard boards watch the conductor close and latch the coaches' doors, then casually take up a canvas bag labeled "U.S. Mail" and a pine crate with rope handles and board the caboose. The locomotive's whistle blows, it steel wheels on steel rails slip and through sparks, and it moves forward, the coaches lurching first back, then again forward as the rhythm of the wheels speed up in a smooth progression. The passengers look out the windows as the buildings, houses, gardens, yards, clothes lines, chicken coops, and horse corrals of Austin pass by.

The train makes good time, reaching speeds of up to 20 miles an hour in places. It passes through the southern half of Travis County, and the passing lead conductor says, We'll cross into Hays County in around five minutes. Next and first stop, San Marcos. At the southern edge of Hays. The train starts to slow, and the rhythm of the wheels on the tracks smoothly goes into reverse from quick to stultifyingly slow. San Marcos! All out for San Marcos! Wake up any sleepin passengers, and don't forget yer livestock and luggage. The time is 9:42, we're on time. Next stop-- Comaltown. Followed by New Braunsfel. Then San Antonio, final station for this train.

Paladin and his horse are the only passenger to detrain with at San Marcos. Two of the train guards disembark and the San Marcos station master comes out onto the platform, exchanges greetings with the two rail guard who bring the mail bag from the caboose. Around five minutes later, the station master reappears with the white canvas bag, the guards accept it and board the caboose, and the train steams away to the south. No one at the San Marcos station on Saturday morning boards the southbound train.

Did Paladin give Cummins the additional $50 deposit? And buy a better horse in Austin before boarding the train? And change into different clothes? (We'll say that the PCs have at least a change of shirts, socks and skivvies on them. But left in luggage in a hotel or farm/ranch house, unless you say otherwise and load them into saddlebags. They're light, compared to rations, ammo, , dead outlaws' bodies, etc.
PCs

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”