Chapter 11: Year 300, Day 009

BackworldTraveller
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 11: Year 300, Day 009

#1 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Nālani, Noor, Thaco and Pranit
The new day sees the group heading north. There are only two vehicle routes North out of the crater but there are also routes South, West and East plus the possibility that you haven't moved at all. You are heading, with Hebden and his un-named friend, up one of these routes with the intent of collecting Pranit's car and getting off world.

The earlier discussions didn't really resolve anything, but did allow a peace of sorts. Pranit is resolutely sitting on the seat that has the weapons under it and everyone else is taking turns at sleeping with the unnamed woman driving. At some time, she'll need to stop for sleep. Nālani has slept like a cat; Noor has slept fitfully with Thaco standing (sitting) watch over her. Hebden is sulking up front.

Indrani and Reven
The night has been long. The landing party have clearly vanished and the search for them by the local security firm becomes more desperate, until the arrival of members of the Task force from up north causes them to abandon it. The ship from New Heaven remains on station, moving not a hairs breadth from where they agreed to remain. Maggie and Assana pair up with Indrani and Reven respectively and each pair grabs 6 hours of sleep before returning to watch.

The search of the camera systems didn't result in any hits on the ground team, and they seem to be on radio silence and whatever hole they are in is well hidden. What the ship did manage to find out is that the software that took out Yaoley's systems (and, by implication, those at the south pole) was very similar to that which the queen was subverted by.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 11: Year 300, Day 009

#2 Post by joertexas »

Indrani uses the passenger galley to prepare breakfast for everyone before she resumes her watch, putting together some breakfast tacos that everyone can eat at their stations.

"Breakfast," she announces as she enters the bridge. After handing out the tacos and canned drinks, she settles into her command chair (which is the nearest open station that she reconfigures to her own preferences). "Status report, please. Reven, you're first."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by cybersavant »

Reven Stiilpahth stretches and then reaches for the food. "That smells good, thanks. I needed that sleep. So, to report - the Queen is as functional as i can get her with what we have onboard. Fire-control is ready; range-finders are off. No sign of the others. SO far i think we'll have a good day. Just a feeling." Reven chomps down on his taco.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by joertexas »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:46 am Reven Stiilpahth stretches and then reaches for the food. "That smells good, thanks. I needed that sleep. So, to report - the Queen is as functional as i can get her with what we have onboard. Fire-control is ready; range-finders are off. No sign of the others. SO far i think we'll have a good day. Just a feeling." Reven chomps down on his taco.
"Thank you," Indrani says with a lurking smile. She turns to Maggie. "Maggie?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by The Bindoner »

Nālani uncurls from her restorative nap.

Looking around, she fixes on Pranit: Ah, Pranit. I owe you an apology. Your impulse to help was noble, and I insulted you when you made a mistake. Forgive my rudeness.

Stretching luxuriously, she offers: We should exchange places, you ought to sleep before we reach your vehicle.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ateno »

"Its nothing, high stress times, all forgiven. We make a good partnership think.

In a low voice
Are we going to keep H?"

Afterward Pranit will take a nap afterwards.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by BackworldTraveller »

joertexas wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:38 pm
cybersavant wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:46 am Reven Stiilpahth stretches and then reaches for the food. "That smells good, thanks. I needed that sleep. So, to report - the Queen is as functional as i can get her with what we have onboard. Fire-control is ready; range-finders are off. No sign of the others. SO far i think we'll have a good day. Just a feeling." Reven chomps down on his taco.
Maggie is looking rested, and well turned out. From Captain to Chef. This is more my style than yours, but thank you. What is your plan for today?

She looks out of the vessel's windows. The darkness is lit by the distant stars, the Veil, and the lights of the asteroid stations and the ships in orbit. The nearest, the New Heaven vessel, is still exactly where it was left yesterday. Pulling up the camera image, it looks innocuous at that distance.

I see our "Friend" is still there. I wonder what they want?

Assana, fiddling with her computer, responds Intimidation. And it's working on me. Now - Has someone got time to show me how that laser of mine really works? I don't want to melt my foot by accident and I was worse than useless when those borders came aboard.

And I suppose shopping is out of the question? There is no washing powder.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by BackworldTraveller »

ateno wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:46 am "Its nothing, high stress times, all forgiven. We make a good partnership think.

In a low voice
Are we going to keep H?"

Afterward Pranit will take a nap afterwards.
The van heads ever northwards. It manages 100km/hour (when moving quickly in a good tunnel) and the journey is going to take at least 20 hours total - another 15 hours from now.

The driver, Hebden reveals accidentally as he chats away, is called "Sof...". More than this he declines to reveal, and "Sof..." is more cautious, rebuking him for his mistake.

"Sof..." breaks the ensuing silence:
There is a drift up ahead. We need charge and supplies - we are low on drink. Anyone want to contact anyone? They have a phone they'll hire out, but be careful who you talk to - lines can be tapped and traced.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ateno »

"We should be careful, espically given what happened. But I might search out some info on it. Grab a bite and stretch my legs."

Pranit

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by The Bindoner »

We ought to try and contact the Queen. If the ship was attacked, we might have to look for a new destination. If the ship is safe, they will want to know where we disappeared to.

I will try to think of a secure way to call. This rental comm will be traced easily enough, there must be an intermediary step...

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ateno »

The Bindoner wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:28 am We ought to try and contact the Queen. If the ship was attacked, we might have to look for a new destination. If the ship is safe, they will want to know where we disappeared to.

I will try to think of a secure way to call. This rental comm will be traced easily enough, there must be an intermediary step...
"If you feel safe, go ahead. Walk with me."

"Are we taking H with us? We are defiently taking his stuff. Hefts bag he took with him.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by The Bindoner »

Noor, Thaco, keep watch here and call if there is trouble. Your turn will come when have checked it is truly safe.

Walking with Pranit:

We are definitely keeping company with Hebden, he has a lot of answers, some of them to questions we have not thought of yet. We cannot just take him, though, we must persuade him we are safer working together.

We want his friend to become our friend too, she seems to know more secrets, and she is quite capable.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Hebden stays with the vehicle while "Sof..." potters about, hooking the vehicle up to the charger, looking into various external hatches.

The main building is split into 3 parts:-
  • A workshop
  • The reception for the workshop which doubles as the shop and payment point for recharges
  • The diner.
The workshop seems closed. The reception has someone sitting on the stool behind the counter, and the diner has three people in it: The Chef, A Steward and Customer. The overalls suggest he might be the workshop's mechanic, but closer inspection shows a mining company logo - so maybe not.

The forecourt has (other than your van) a small electric buggy and a large truck carrying a piece of mining machinery.

The Steward looks up as you enter and comes on over
Welcome to the Suntrap. (OK, the proprietor has a poor sense of naming things) What can I get you all?

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by joertexas »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:11 pm
joertexas wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:38 pm
Maggie is looking rested, and well turned out. From Captain to Chef. This is more my style than yours, but thank you. What is your plan for today?

She looks out of the vessel's windows. The darkness is lit by the distant stars, the Veil, and the lights of the asteroid stations and the ships in orbit. The nearest, the New Heaven vessel, is still exactly where it was left yesterday. Pulling up the camera image, it looks innocuous at that distance.

I see our "Friend" is still there. I wonder what they want?

Assana, fiddling with her computer, responds Intimidation. And it's working on me. Now - Has someone got time to show me how that laser of mine really works? I don't want to melt my foot by accident and I was worse than useless when those borders came aboard.

And I suppose shopping is out of the question? There is no washing powder.
Indrani smiles. "All things in good time. For now, we sit here and stay safe until Pranit and the others contact us again. We're not using the lasers this close to the habitat, we'd do more damage to it than to any attacker. The sandcasters and missiles will do the job just fine. Assana, keep monitoring the media and the Net. The Queen can help you sort the data."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Assana
I'm watching. Nothing so far.

Oh yes, there was a call from someone looking for Noor. They left a number. Said they were secretary to someone at some PR company or something. The Queen has the details.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by The Bindoner »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:57 am
The workshop seems closed. The reception has someone sitting on the stool behind the counter, and the diner has three people in it: The Chef, A Steward and Customer. The overalls suggest he might be the workshop's mechanic, but closer inspection shows a mining company logo - so maybe not.

The forecourt has (other than your van) a small electric buggy and a large truck carrying a piece of mining machinery.

The Steward looks up as you enter and comes on over
Welcome to the Suntrap. (OK, the proprietor has a poor sense of naming things) What can I get you all?

Nālani walks in beside Pranit, looking tired despite her nap. Her couture kimono/coat is rumpled, her dress creased, and her make-up smudged, but she is still overdressed. Play into it.

Looking slightly bewildered at the Steward: I don’t know, what is on your menu today?

Grinning at Pranit: You know these places, you choose, I need to freshen up. Something for energy. It’s your turn to drive next. And get something sweet too. .

Turning back to the Steward: Where is your Ladies Room? We have been driving for hours.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by ateno »

The Bindoner wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:39 pm Grinning at Pranit: You know these places, you choose, I need to freshen up. Something for energy. It’s your turn to drive next. And get something sweet too. .

Turning back to the Steward: Where is your Ladies Room? We have been driving for hours.
Looking at the board hopefully

After she leaves, "I'll take 6 sweet potato burritos with soybean tortilla, 6 bowls of skyr or dahi with whatever fresh or dehydrated fruit you might have and.." looking around "these." He grabs several bags of pumpkin seeds.

He moves up to the bar, "6 ice teas with some sweetner."

Pranit digs into his pockets and brings out a 50 credit coin and places it on the table. "to go." slump a bit

Pranit is playing the put upon traveller in a beta position in his own family of sisters and cousins

Woot!

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by BackworldTraveller »

What do you make of the News these last few days? I'd hoped we were in for a time of peace, but what with the attack on the spaceport and the shootout down the road, the Pirates seem to be just as bad as before. What we need is a strong leader - the current bunch seem to be incapable of defending us.

She starts pouring the beverages and doling out the other portions.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ateno »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:34 am What do you make of the News these last few days? I'd hoped we were in for a time of peace, but what with the attack on the spaceport and the shootout down the road, the Pirates seem to be just as bad as before. What we need is a strong leader - the current bunch seem to be incapable of defending us.
All it takes is a few people willing to not follow the rules to make a big splash. Its hard to bring terrorists to heel when they plan things out well. Show up, shoot 5 people in a specific place, juimp in a car and go. Also there are many definitions pof a strong leader. " Smiles.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by BackworldTraveller »

ateno wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:37 am
BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:34 am What do you make of the News these last few days? I'd hoped we were in for a time of peace, but what with the attack on the spaceport and the shootout down the road, the Pirates seem to be just as bad as before. What we need is a strong leader - the current bunch seem to be incapable of defending us.
All it takes is a few people willing to not follow the rules to make a big splash. Its hard to bring terrorists to heel when they plan things out well. Show up, shoot 5 people in a specific place, juimp in a car and go. Also there are many definitions pof a strong leader. " Smiles.
Well, Jailing all the pirate supporters seems a good start. Getting rid of the Cavalheiros is good. Forcing the low-lives into the factories and mines might be better than Prison, I reckon.

She natters on for a while, looks closely at Pranit as she hands over the drinks.

I'm usually good at faces - I sort of recognise you. Have you been here before?

Return to “A new Heaven? A new Earth (Traveller)”