(10) Aramis’ Caravanserai

OGRE MAGE
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

(10) Aramis’ Caravanserai

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Situated just inside the Old City along the main caravan route, the Caravanserai of Aramis is an impressive complex to behold. Surrounded by 10’ high sandstone brick walls, this three story building has deep balconies wrapped in decorative wrought iron railings. Smaller balconies dot the upper floors private rooms, and huge iron gates seal off the entire courtyard after the eventide bell has been rung.

381771B6-6D70-4631-957F-1B1D8C1A2510.jpeg
381771B6-6D70-4631-957F-1B1D8C1A2510.jpeg (198.34 KiB) Viewed 795 times

The Outer Courtyard (10-A) is filled with hardy palm trees, colorful blossoming flower gardens, and fine statuary depicting lotus women and other exotic creatures. Benches and hidden sitting areas are scattered throughout the foliage along the many winding cobblestone paths. The guards who patrol the courtyards are instructed to respect the privacy of paying guests and their many indulgences.

A Terminus (10-B) of cobblestone pavers serves as an area for wagons and carts to be parked and stored.

The Stables (10-C) house horses, camels, oxen, and woolly mammoth for a fee. A young ostler named Dahlie oversees the day to day dealings of the stables.

Inner Courtyards (10-D) harbor many other variety of trees and plants suited to the shifting climes of the Zakath, where small birds and lizards flit around flowing stone fonts that spill into decorative basins. Private bath areas and spas are tended by comely slaves who see to the many needs of their guests. The upper floor guest room balconies overlook these lush courtyard canopies.

An impressive Dining Hall (10-E) with several tables, a bar, and private booths for rent fills the ground floor of the main building. Normally crowded with merchants, travelers, and wealthy locals looking for business opportunities, the hall is well lit with fire braziers that keep the place warm and inviting both night and day.

A Common Sleeping Room (10-G) sits just off the main room, lined with musty bunkbeds. Staff sometime sleep here when they work past the eventide bell. This is also the area offered up for one free nights rest to any official guards of Yithorium’s monthly caravan.

EFEAB58F-F6C8-4787-8B03-CFEB4DC791BF.jpeg
EFEAB58F-F6C8-4787-8B03-CFEB4DC791BF.jpeg (78.87 KiB) Viewed 795 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: (10) Aramis’ Caravanserai

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

For those of you just arriving, the time of day is early afternoon. There are still a few hours before the dreaded eventide bell is rung, so go ahead and explore what the city has to offer if you like. You haven't seen much here yet besides the road through the Old City, since this is one of the first complexes you come to along the trail.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Besides the impressive mansion and complex of the Satrap you pass along the trail, and the huge Arena, statue/temple of Helios, and other towers in the distance, you havent seen much of the inner area yet.

You can ask around about the main structures or attractions, using this map as a reference point to the most prominent areas.

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 55#p618855

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kainaxarthos

Kain enters with the group, mildly impressed with the complex and especially appreciative of the grounds and paths. "This is the benefit of the desert. All the emptiness really allows you to appreciate luxury and finer things. Without struggle, there is no enjoyment."

His good mood continues until he recognizes where the free room is. "Ah. Very well. A taste to whet one's appetite. This only serves to redouble efforts to afford this place." Kain doffs his armor and weapons, intent on exploring the grounds and baths. He makes note of the apparent lack of stairs for the upper rooms, suspecting them to be behind lock and key.

He gathers the group to talk. "It seems we have an afternoon to enjoy. Let's make the most of it, and then gather again tonight to discuss more profitable plans. Agreed?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm
Urson wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:45 pm Maxon
Maxon nods. We can also discuss trading spells...
"Perhaps tonight, within the safety of the Caravanserai of Aramis, I can copy out one of your dweomers," said Biblo. "And the next morning we visit the Astrologers Tower, then be on our way that afternoon."
Urson wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:39 pm Maxon
Maxon grins slightly. They say the best adventures happen by accident. Tonight, I want some decent wine and feminine company. Tomorrow will be soon enough to start.
”Then I can commence the arcane exchange, transcribing while you carouse. Your spell book will be safe in my hands in my room, where wily wenches and pilfering thieves cannot reach.”

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Urson »

Maxon
Maxon looks skeptical when Biblio casually mentions holding on to his spell book, but says nothing. He leads the way into the dining hall, and takes a seat. He orders a pitcher of imported wine and two basic meals. -11 sp.
Let's discuss the exchange. I have Burning Hands, Grease, and Sleep. What can you offer?
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will wait until we see the details of this exchange, but you should know that copying a spell from another's book isn't something that can be done in a few hours time.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by hedgeknight »

Ceana

Road weary and dirty, the Kelt follows the caravan into Xambaala. Her companions talk of exploration and copying spells, but really all she really wants is..."A bath. I need a bath. I smell like the ass end of a horse or worse. Nothing fancy, just some soap and water. Then I'll be ready to hit the town with you fellas."
She asks around where she can get a bath, trying to keep in mind she doesn't have a lot of coin.
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Urson »

Maxon EDIT
Maxon frowns. I apologize. I don't have Grease. Wishful thinking, Isuppose.
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Settling Inn

Maxon eats and drinks his fill after the long journey, excited to explore this new chapter in his young life. He and Biblo discuss a possible trade off of their precious magical writings, though Maxon is understandably cautious about leaving his most prized possession in the hands of a man he’s known for less than a week.

Kain and Ceana learn that the bath areas are also offered complimentary for their service on the caravan. One bath comes free with each musty bunk. Both the male and female slaves appear eager to help wash the comely duo when they make their way through the private spa area.

Khalid stays with the captain, helping to get the last of the animals he worked hard to protect safely into their stables before it’s gets dark out. Both the captain and the stable master notice his extra effort, thanking him in customary Moorish fashion. The young ostler praises his extra effort once the task is complete.

“Usually guards aren’t concerned about the animals well-being once they get here. Most just want to clear the dust away with wine. I appreciate and respect the extra hand, friend. I haven’t seen you before, have I? I’m called Dahlie.”

Actions?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kainaxarthos

Kain is pleasantly surprised to find the baths are complimentary and quickly makes use of the spa. "This is how one should live Ceana." He calls over to her as he allows the slaves to prepare him. "Luxury benefits are the reason to go treasure hunting."

"What do you think of the others? Do you find them trustworthy to include in a hunt?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Urson »

Maxon
After dinner- and any further negotiations about spell-sharing- Maxon heads for the Inner Courtyard. He spends the evening taking advantage of the amenities; getting bathed, having his beard trimmed and oiled properly, admiring the comely servants, etc...
Eventually, he'll find his way to his bed and sleep. He snores loudly.
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Courtyard Baths

Kain gets no answer from Ceana through the palm fronds, but judging by her unladylike grunts and moans, it sounds like she is enjoying whatever the slaves are doing to her, just as he enjoys his long awaited bath.

As the comely dark priest is about to make his move on one of the prettier slave girls, Maxon enters the bath area next. He hops into one of the heated pools, smiling at Kain as the clean water slowly turns brown around him from the several days of dust build-up on the man.

Once the baths and pampering is over, and dinner is eaten, there is limited daylight left before the Eventide bell is rung.

Actions?

Hedge mentioned to me that he would be off the boards till after Labor day weekend, so I will NPC Ceana until he returns. Hopefully the others are still here and will be posting again shortly.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Grognardsw »

Urson wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:15 pm Maxon EDIT
Maxon frowns. I apologize. I don't have Grease. Wishful thinking, Isuppose.
“Ah, I have heard of sorcerous somnolence. That is a useful hex,” said Biblo to Maxon. “Transcribing takes some time, but as it is only late afternoon, I believe I could sequester myself while you and the others sightsee, dine, and gratify base desires. I could have it to back to you upon your return to the Caravanserai in the wee hour. As for my spells, I can impart the wisdom of curing wounds and commanding voice.”

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I guess I need to mention this again.....
OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:56 pm ...copying a spell from another's book isn't something that can be done in a few hours time.
It takes 3 full days, per spell level, in the appropriate setting (lab, library, writing desk, etc.), to copy spells from one PC's book to another. And that can only be accomplished by using the appropriate writing materials and inks. (which I am willing to rule that Biblo would already own, due to his unique class situation)

Also, any trading of spells would need to be a fair compromise between the two PC's. No respectable spellcaster would be willing to give away their hard earned magic secrets unless under the most extreme conditions, or there was something valuable in it for them.

Biblo appears to be offering to trade spells to Maxon that he cant even learn. (2 Cleric spells?) I don't see that being much incentive for him either.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

Maxon (to Biblio)
I'll keep your offer in mind, for some future time when we have a week or so.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kainaxarthos

Ah. I forgot about Hedge. I knew that. :D

He nods as Maxon enters, letting the slave girl know he will call on her later. Some chit-chat is had during the bath and before dinner. After dinner, he goes looking for the others.

"I must confess, I am curious as to what happens after the bell is rung. Are you interested in taking a look around after dark? Maybe around town? Or checking how they restrict access?"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Grognardsw »

Urson wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:49 pm Maxon (to Biblio)
I'll keep your offer in mind, for some future time when we have a week or so.
Biblo nodded.

“Yes of course, another time then Maxun. I know us busy adventurers have packed calendars, so many meetings, conferences, one-on-ones, deadlines for the boss. Ha! It’s any wonder we find time to sharpen our blades! Anyway, don’t be late for your 10:00 with the saucy courtesan on the corner.”

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

With one player MIA now and another on break for a full week yet......

I guess I was hoping to see a little more here.

MR: If Kain wants to go out alone after dark, and cant get any other takers, hirelings are always available.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kainaxarthos

Kain checks in with the others before they tuck in. "I'm going for a walk. I should be back by morning or so. You can leave word here if you leave before I get back. I'd really like to work together in this new city."

He gathers his gear and lets the front desk know to save his room for the night. "If I need to hire someone to carry things for me, or use a shield, where would I go to do that?" He eventually heads out into the city aiming for the offered destination.

Return to “Wandering Windswept Wastelands (HYPERBOREA)”