Chapter 1 - In Without Knocking

jemmus
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 1 - In Without Knocking

#201 Post by ateno »

jemmus wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:36 am The judge replies, Judge Doos. I will concede that you are correct. But I seem to detect-- and I don't mean assume anything and be impolite-- a coastal south accent in yer pattern of speech? Hays County is not Houston or Corpus Christi, Judge Doos. You all have been long settled even before the Alamo and the establishment of the Republic of Texas itself. But we'll git back to that.
"I expect that my 'pattern of speech' comes from experience, not birth. Not that it has anything to do with law, I come from my family farm north and west of Baltimore Maryland. And I don't hide that I started my residency in Texas on June 19th 1865. Again nothing to do with the law, but I will allow you some leniency, given you’re the local judge."

History; that was the date the Union army came to Texas to enforce the freedom of slaves, which Texas was lax on.

<snip>
That is why the county is empowered to set its own penalties, Judge Doos. The old adage says, “Let the punishment fit the crime.” Well, in these western frontier Texas counties, the adage is modified. We annex an addendum to it. “Let the punishment fit the crime, and also deter some other wicked fella from repeating the same crime. Or any other crime."
"I have run into my share of troublemakers during my stint as judge, but my feelings or community feelings never influenced my duties as judge. As a judge we have to follow the law even stricter, for if we give a crack, our reputation falls apart and we are looked upon as a lieing man and not a impartial judege. Also we cannot impose stricter penalties on people in hopes that furture people, who have not commitied crimes wont. That is not the Americian way. They do that in the Middle East I hear. Wanna be like them?"

Yes Doos is preaching fairness to the judege.
Now, if you were eligible to serve as these defendants’ counsel for the defense—and I’m not sayin you are—you would have something to consider if you want to invoke Federal law. And that is that the U.S. judge for the Western District of Texas has a pretty big circuit to ride. And it’s not a very safe one either, I’ll add. But be that as it may, if your clients—and I’m not saying they are your clients—if these defendants want to wait the four, five, six weeks for the U.S. judge to be in San Marcos again, they can. In the stockade, while awaiting trial. I know the judge personally, it’s likely that he would credit them the time waiting for trial toward any term sentences. Of course, if they were sentenced to just a week incarceration, but they already waited six weeks, that would just be their loss. If any of you gentleman would like to wait for a trial by the U.S. court, so declare now. Or face trial by jury.
"Your honor, I request a recess, so I may talk to these gentlemen in a unofficial manner and discuss thier options, if they want to wait for the federal judge or not.

Assuming it is given, Jonathan will tell them the truth of potential sentances, given thier crimes and what thier chances are with this judge vs. the federal judge. Given the current judge seems pissed that he is being stood up, might be worth it to wait, but Doos will be impartial and fair and try to help these gentlemen come to a good plan. It could be that some, like the young kid at the door as for a settlement now, given all he did was watch, but its up to each cowboy. Does Doos know the federal judge, that can influcence his advice.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by jemmus »

Doos doesn’t know the Federal judge. But he has heard that he’s pretty new to the job. They tend not to last very long. The rough and violent characters in the courtrooms intimidate them and they quit, or they get drygulched by convicted defendants angry family and friends. (This is historical).

Since the PCs are still stating things, we’ll rewind and have the jury not have left the room for deliberations yet.

The judge replies, Mr. Sebastian, the court and the jury duly note your statement in your defense. It will be for the jury to decide whether it was reasonable to start shooting under the circumstances described by the sworn witnesses.

Mr. Doos, I’ll do you one better than letting you have a recess. I’ll tell the defendants what the charges will be, as well as the penalties the court will impose if they're found guilty. Then they can decide if they want to try their luck with a U.S. Court. Please bear with the court while we reduce the information to writing.

He writes with a quill and ink on several pieces of paper, which takes some time. He then reads the names of each of the cowboys who fired weapons. Which is all of them, except for young Dan Rucker. The charges and penalties against them are the same for each of them.
Drunk and disorderly. $3 fine, 1 day imprisonment.
Reckless disregard for public safety. $8 fine, 2 days imprisonment.
Discharging a firearm indoors. $12 fine, 4 days imprisonment.

And then Charlie, whom the judge glances up at and hastily appraises, who then looks down again and continues his writing.
Upon entering Hays County, Texas, to report the sheriff of said county and present a signed letter of employment, signed in ink by a resident of Hays County, within 24 hrs of crossing its border. Without the accompanyment of any Comanche, Kiowa, or Apache Indians confederates or companions. Including any from the specified and named by the Federal government as members the Seven Civilized Tribe, north of the Red River and the State of Texas.

And finally, Sebastian's charges and sentences.
Assault with a weapon with intent to cause serious bodily harm. Three counts. $20 fine per count, 8 days imprisonment per count.

Doos has heard of some of these offenses before, but not others. Discharging a firearm indoors seems like it might be unique to this county’s court.

There’s also the matter of the jurors‘ wages and the court costs. That will be $35 total, $20 in court costs and $15 for jurors pay. Divided by the number of defendants who are found guilty on any charge.

The jury will determine the defendants‘ guilt or innocence for each of these offenses. Mr. Sebastian's last-named one will be decided on the basis of whether the jurors determine that a reasonable man would have started shootin in this particular situation or not. I'll mention that all of the jurors live in Texas, many parts of which are generally lawless. It's a place where a man will draw a gun and shoot just to watch the other man die. They're honest citizens, not gunfighters. But they've seen and heard enough about gunplay to know that when a man draws a gun, it means serious business for the other man to consider. Real quick.

On the other hand, the court presumes that they also know that a man who draws a gun to use as a clubbin weapon might ought to consider that fingers might go to triggers, rather than around gun barrels. It works both ways for all parties, when it comes to drawing firearms. If you see the logic of it.

The jail terms are cumulative. That means that the days all add up. The court will reduce the terms by the one and a half days you all already spent imprisoned.

Now, all you defendents have a choice of being tried for these charges, or waiting for the U.S. judge to try you for Federal offenses. Anyone who wants to do that, go ahead and declare it. But I would bear in mind that there are two dead men involved if I were you. This court has not directly addressed that fact with these relatively mild charges. But a Federal court very well might.

Does anyone have anything else to say before the jury retires for its deliberations? If so, make it quick and brief, so these honest jurors can get back to their work.

Behan quietly mentions something to the judge and hands him a sheet of paper. The judge says, Oh yes. This is not a matter of guilt or innocence to be decided by the jury. This a matter of compensation for damages to property that you all owe. Because the number of shots fired by each shooter within these premises is difficult and impracticable to discern, all defendants who discharged firearms within these premises will reimburse the owners equally. $2.19 each for repair 18 bullet holes shot into the walls and floor of the interior of the structure. I expect it would be more, if, sadly and tragically, human bodies hadn’t stopped some of the bullets.

The court will repeat: If any defendant wants to wait for a trial by a U.S. Judge, say now. And if you have anything to say-- that the court and jury haven't heard before-- now is yer chance to say it. Former judge Mr. Doos, with all due respect, the court will not tolerate more stallin and drawin out this trial by an amicus „friend of the court.“ This court has heard and well considered your arguments as neither a witness nor counsel for the defense, and proceeded with the due course of criminal trial procedure in the State of Texas.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by jemmus »

The judge glances down at his papers and up at Charlie, and back down again. If you bring any of your Comanche friends into the county of Hays, Texas, you will be shot on sight. Ya do understand that, don't ya? The court has showed extreme clemency. If yer feet cross the courtroom again, we'll have to assume that ya brought Quanah Parker himself and all of his Comanche raiders with him. Ya goet one warning, Mr. Charlie. And that was the one.

Last edited by jemmus on Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Rex »

Charlie

"Yes sir I understand."

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#205 Post by ateno »

Judge, I'm happy and gave the accused my advice, I wish to continue to advise them, if they will have me. But I feel they are ready to respond to your question,"

Judge Doos

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#206 Post by Bluetongue »

Sebastian

To be honest, a lot of this goes over his head. He says nothing.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by jemmus »

It seems that no one wants to avail themselves of waiting for a trial by a Federal judge (possibly more impartial but also able to try more serious crimes. And impose more serious sentences,
The judge brings his pistol butt down with a soft thud on the thick book on Hoffman's back table. The court is recessed while the jury deliberates. Witnesses, feel free to stretch yer legs, get some air, relieve yerselves. Just don't y'all run off, we're not quite done yet today. He stands up himself and ambles over to the bar. Mr, Hoffman, what kind of beer do you recommend today? Ye got any new ones? The judge lays his single-action Colt .44 on the bar counter in front of him and sets down on a high barstool before it. From his actions, it seems that the judge might have a crick in back today.

After around 20 minutes, which to some observers seems kind of short for deliberations hanging by the neck until dead (especially from any kind of standing tree or nearby telegraph pole in San Marcos), the jury tramps back into the dining room in Hoffman's. Meanwhile yet another armed drifter or transient traveler has entered the courtroom. He seems to be just innocently entering as if for a meals and lodging. The sheriff, deputy sheriff, town marshall, and town policeman all lower shotguns at him. The lawman beside the judge's table says, State yer piece, stranger! Who are you for, and who are you against? We're finish an honest trial here! Don't move yer hands toward yer guns.

He quiclkly glances around to armed men in the room, who are all lawmen, and then back at Moore. And puts his finger inside he shotgun's trigger guard. Fella, I don't know who's side yer on. But in a quick second you'll be on the devil's. If you move a hand downward, toward the location of a gun.
PCs

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#208 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson remains seated where he is.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Charlie remains seated and silent.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by Bluetongue »

Sebastian

Is this a trial by jury or is the judge, actually judge, jury and executioner. I am a bit lost. It seems pleading guilty will give me a fine and a few days in prison, pleading not guilty might be being absolved altogether or found guilty of two manslaughter charges and a rope if I appeal to another judge.

$80 fine and 30 days in prison.
And finally, Sebastian's charges and sentences.
Assault with a weapon with intent to cause serious bodily harm. Three counts. $20 fine per count, 8 days imprisonment per count.
For Sebastian, his best action might be to follow suit and say nothing.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by jemmus »

I think I introduced redwarrior's PC (the stranger who entered the bar) before he was ready. It's been a few days since a GM post, so I'll continue. Let's proceed and give him some time to get set up.

The jury members come back in to the dining room and one of them hands the judge a stack of papers. Everyone take your seats, he says. He reads through the sheets, and when he gets to one of them, he pauses a second, as if it was not what he expected. The jury has decided on its verdicts. He reads.
Andrew Shaw: Guilty of all charges.
Robert McBain: Guilty of all charged offenses.
Clay Harwood: Guilty of all charged offenses.
Charlie: Guilty of all charged offenses.
Andreas Larson: Guilty of all charged offenses.
Charles Meuller: Guilty of all charged offenses.

Sebastian (GM doesn’t have his last name): Guilty of all charged offenses., except one. Not guilty of three counts of assault with a weapon with intent to cause serious bodily harm.  Surprisingly, three jurors decided on a verdict 0f not guilty. Which means that they believe a reasonable man would also shoot under the circumstances. I suppose that might mean that they believe that, if a man gets all liquored up, wantonly shoots his pistol around town, and rides his horse into a hotel… well, it's possible he might do anything. Including, after drawing a pistol to use as a bludgeoning weapon in a fistfight, putting it to a man's gut and pulling the trigger. Maybe that might be a lesson to all of y’all. Three of five men of Hayes County, Texas believe it was reasonable to kill two men and grievously wound another under the described circumstances.

He says, rather pleasantly and apologetically, Now, I know y'all boys were probably just out to have a little fun in the middle of a hard drive up to Kansas. But like with Belshazzar, the writing might be on the wall. A warning and a word to the wise. Texas is currently wild and savage, full of villainy and every kind of depravity and wickedness. The good citizens of this state and this county don't want it that way. Minding yer manners a little might pay off along the way.

You can pay your fines to the bailiff and begin serving your sentences immediately.

One of the cowboy spectators says, What about Ike Little’s and Gabe Lawson’s pocket money? And their horses and guns? The judge replies, The county will hold the possessions of the deceased in escrow until their lawful heirs can claim them. In other words, their family members. The cowboy says, But Ike’s family is all the way down just about on the Rio Grande, and Gabe’s family is in North Carolina. You mean to say they got to travel all the way to San Marcos to collect their stuff? That’s correct, the judge replies. And the heirs will need to present documents to establish the family relationship. The county can’t just hand the deceaseds’ possessions to the first drifter who comes along claiming their his.

The cowboy scoffs. Like either of them boys was born in a hospital and not in dirt-floor cabin. I guess their daddies wrote up birth certificates fer em.

If they came from Christian families, the church will have records.

So how are the families goin to know their boys is dead in San Marcos, Texas?

Announcements will be duly published in the legal section of the Austin Statesman.

The cowboy scoffs again. Yeah, I'll bet them boys' daddies have that newspaper delivered to em at their Rio Grande and North Carolina cabins ever Sunday. It's a nice little racket you fellas got here, judge. The sheriff brings in the customers and you ring up the till. He launches an arcing expectoration of tobacco chaw spit at brass spittoon by the bar. It hits Hoffman's newly scrubbed floor. And don't y'all worry about having to auction off the boys' horses to pay fer puttin em in a gunny sack and throwin em in a hole. Us boys will see to their funerals. The turns to the defendant cowboys. We'll see you dangerous convict goat ropers when you get out of the jail tomorrow and rejoin the herd. He touches the brim of his hat to them, turns, and stomps out of the bar. His comrades also touch their brims and say their good-byes.
Be seeing y'all tomorra, boys. If the judge don't charge ya fer loiterin in a stockade.
Thanks fer leaving all of the night herding to us, you desperate desperados.
Don't worry boys, look at all the money yer saving with the free lodgin in the calaboose.
I guess the company won't be as pretty as you jailbirds had hoped fer when you come to town. But lookin on the bright side, it won't cost you a dime nor ten dollars.

More long arcs of tobacco juice nearly miss, or widely miss, the little brass spittoon on Hoffman's floor. The cowboys tip their hats the all of the defendants. Young cowboy Dan Rucker says, I'll donate what pay I have for Ike and Gabe's funerals. I don't know how to do it, but I'll try to contact their families. He looks down, thn courageously looks the judge and the sheriff dead in the eye, long and frank. The lawman and the jurist have no response in the uneasy silence. The cowboys hang their heads, the strained jocularity out of them. They depart the dining hall, mount up, and walk their horse out toward the west.

The judge doesn't bat an eye. Justice has been served under the rule of law and in the interest of civilization and public order. Court is dismissed, he says. Sheriff, please begin executing the sentences and collect the fines, jurors' pay, and repair charges from the prisoners' possessions held by your office.

Behan, sawed-off double-barreled shotgun in hand, says, Gentlemen, put your hands before you again. The deputy and town policeman lean their shotguns against a wall and start to put handcuffs on the men. But a woman appears at the doorway of the dining room and demurely but swiftly enters. Behan looks first surprised, then concerned. Sheriff, she says, I'm sorry to bother at this time, but it's a matter of urgency and importance. Yes, Mrs. McCollum, he says and walks over to her. She says something to him under her breath. Behan thinks just a second, and says, Deputy Riney, please don't leave just yet. Marshal, officer, I'd appreciate it if you'd stay just a minute too.

A man in work clothes and a cowboy's hat appears in the doorway and levels a long doubled shotgun at the sheriff. Don't ya move, Johnny Behan. Judge Campbell, I waited patiently until yer trial was done, but now I'll serve a little justice on someone who deserves it more than them unlucky cowboys and strangers. I come here specifically for you all to serve as witnesses that I'm exercising my rights as a husband under the laws of the State of Texas. Virgie, stand aside and well out of the way

Charlie must pay $28.02 in fines, court fees, and repair costs and serve 6 days, reduced by 1 day already served.
Sebastian owes the same, and has to serve the same sentence. He's all shot up and low on HP at only 2 left. But in Boot Hill, his wounds only hurt his gunfire accuracy. It takes a random Mortal wound to actually kill a character.
Per the rules, prisoners earn $30/month for hard labor. So $1/day.

It's possibly a harsher outcome than Charlie, Sebastian, and the other visitors to this town might have expected.

Doos and Paladin owe 75 cents for a night in a hotel and 75 cents for three cheap meals. Or $1.99 for the hotel and three good meals. $2.99 if they want to splurge on deluxe meals. Or if maintaining their Reputation demands it. (And it might-- and probably does).

To be continued shortly. Sorry, this part of this episode has been long on storytelling and short on meaningful decisions for PCs. It sort of just turned out that way. Any actions?
PCs

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#212 Post by redwarrior »

Yeah, totally didn't realize that was my que!
William looks at the several shotguns pointed at him, tilts his head, and raises an eyebrow as he considers and then starts to speak Well, it seems that y'all are a mite jumpy. Don't mind me. It appears that you've got a judge and a bailiff and all, so that's according to Hoyle. I'm fresh into town, and don't know anyone from Adam, let alone the complainants or the defendants. I'd not contest all your shotguns with a pistol, even if I did, which, as I said, I don't. I've studied a bit of the law, and as long as it's followed, the law is the law.

Public Speaking 12 target [1d20]=8 So probably a better speech than I wrote! :-)

As the woman, then the man, with yet another scattergun enters the tavern, William moves out of the way of both the man at the door and the lawmen. Once that's done, he'll attempt to get the deputy's eye to see how this is going to be played out.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Rex »

Charlie

Charlie watches on in interest to see what happens.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#214 Post by cybersavant »

jemmus wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:24 pm The judge then calls the other defendants, starting with Sebastian. But when he gets to Andreas, he says, Mr. Larson, the court is satisfied that you did not fire your gun. But you did fail to obey a peace officer's orders. As much as I admire yer gumption, especially you bein a foreignor and all, by disobeying, you created a tense situation and put lives in danger. $5.00 fine. Plus $1.11 for your share of the jury members' compensation. Ya can pay the sheriff at the end of the proceedins.
You can pay your fines to the bailiff and begin serving your sentences immediately.
Any actions?[/ooc]
Andreas Larson stands up, takes out the $6.11, places it on the table; then asks, "Is der a local office vor Waco und Northwestern railroad?"
gaming since 1980

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#215 Post by Bluetongue »

Sebastian

Sure the sheriff has already taken his wallet into custody so can deduct what he sees fit.

He tries to serve out his five days, mindful of vengeful cowpokes.

If and when released he goes back in to town.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by jemmus »

redwarrior wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:08 am Yeah, totally didn't realize that was my que!
William looks at the several shotguns pointed at him, tilts his head, and raises an eyebrow as he considers and then starts to speak Well, it seems that y'all are a mite jumpy. Don't mind me. It appears that you've got a judge and a bailiff and all, so that's according to Hoyle. I'm fresh into town, and don't know anyone from Adam, let alone the complainants or the defendants. I'd not contest all your shotguns with a pistol, even if I did, which, as I said, I don't. I've studied a bit of the law, and as long as it's followed, the law is the law.

Public Speaking 12 target [1d20]=8 So probably a better speech than I wrote! :-)

As the woman, then the man, with yet another scattergun enters the tavern, William moves out of the way of both the man at the door and the lawmen. Once that's done, he'll attempt to get the deputy's eye to see how this is going to be played out.
Rewinding in time to when William Moore entered the saloon.
The sheriff simply nods. The judge says, You can understand why these law officers might be a little jumpy, sir. More than one trial has been the scene of a violent attempt by a defendant's friends to free him.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by jemmus »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:41 am
jemmus wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:24 pm The judge then calls the other defendants, starting with Sebastian. But when he gets to Andreas, he says, Mr. Larson, the court is satisfied that you did not fire your gun. But you did fail to obey a peace officer's orders. As much as I admire yer gumption, especially you bein a foreignor and all, by disobeying, you created a tense situation and put lives in danger. $5.00 fine. Plus $1.11 for your share of the jury members' compensation. Ya can pay the sheriff at the end of the proceedins.
Any actions?[/ooc]
Andreas Larson stands up, takes out the $6.11, places it on the table; then asks, "Is der a local office vor Waco und Northwestern railroad?"
Thanks for catching that about Andreas's fine.
A man in his 30s with the look of one who has known hard work answers, Well, I wouldn't really call it an office. He has an alert, intelligent look on his face, but from his leathery skin, it seems he's no stranger to hard work. Andreas notices black coal dust under is fingernails. It's more of combination toolshed and post office, sittin by the tracks and the water tower. Which is pretty hard to keep full, because of the one engine leakin steam and constantly needin more water. Burns coal like the fires of Gehenna too. The 10:31 train from Austin already passed, the train up from San Antonio is scheduled for 3:09. He pulls out a plain glass-faced railroad-issue pocket watch attached to a brass chain. The man admires the mechanical precision second hand going around its face for a second. If yer goin to Austin, ya got a couple a hours yet. No need to buy a ticket beforehand. Ya can buy a ticket on the train, we don't keep cash here in San Marcos. And my wife and mother are glad we don't, and I cain't say I'm displeased much about it either.
PCs

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#218 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson nods to the man. "Danke .... thankz. He gathers his gun and steps outside. He untethers his horse, mounts up, and rides over to the shed/post office; where he ties up his horse and walks inside.

gaming since 1980

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by jemmus »

Sorry, I wasn't clear.
The man says to Andreas, If you have business with the railroad, I'm the one to talk to. I'm the only W&NW employee in town.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by jemmus »

The woman hesitates a second, then steps away from the sheriff, to his right toward the bar. The man in the doorway, long "goose gun" double-barreled shotgun still leveled at the sheriff, takes a step forward from the doorway into the room. Judge Campbell, you'd best step away too.

The judge rises from his chair with dignity, and paces the floor toward the jury's chairs to the sheriff's left, while saying oratorically, Daryl McCollum, you are correct. The State of Texas does not convict a man for murder of another man found with his wife. But that is if the man kills the other in the heat of hot-blooded, uncontrollable rage. Not if he does it calmly in cold blood, as you propose to do now.

Behan's gun barrel is toward the ceiling, as is the town marshal's scattergun's barrel. The deputy's and town policeman's scatterguns are leaning against the wall and they have handcuffs in their hands. Behan glances over to the marshal, as if to sign to him about a plan. The marshal studiously ignores the look and remains stonefaced. It seems that he doesn't have much sympathy for Behan and his personal predicament. The two other lawmen in the room don't seem inclined to try to intervene either.

McCollum answers, Ed Campbell, that's your opinion, not the law. I have a letter in my pocket from a lawyer in Austin that says the law lets an aggrieved husband kill a lecher any time and any way he wants to. I'd show it to ya, but I'm a little busy right now. No disrespect meant, Mr. Campbell, but you may be a judge but you're no licensed lawyer. You studied a couple of years at Baylor College up in Waco, but the war came and you didn't finish. I don't fault you for that, the war made things rough for most everbody. What I do fault ya fer is fer makin up laws to fine everbody who passes through Hays County, like yer tryin to do now protect yer business partner Johnny Behan. And fer pocketin--

Behan suddenly snaps the stock of his scattergun to his shoulder and fires it. The report is deafening. An instant later McCollum's long 10 gauge erupts and the sheriff is caught hard in the abdomen and chest, rocking him back. He gasps, regains his balance, and takes more careful aim, but unsteady, aim. The second barrels of the scatter gun and the shotgun roar simultaneously. The sheriff drops backward to the floor, another wound in his chest. The vengeful husband stands unharmed, looking over the end of his barrel and the felled opponent.

The woman shrieks, puts her face in her hands, and cries loud, fitful sobs. McCollum lowers his gun barrel and breathes a few unsteady breaths. A bead of sweat runs down his brow. I don't know if he's alive or dead, he says in a shaky voice. But I ain't gonna shoot him again. He can go on livin his miserable life, if that's the good Lord's will. The big deputy and the town marshal quickly move over to the still, bloody body. The deputy crouches by it and says, He's alive. Jim, git the doctor, would ya? The policeman hurries out of the bar.

Virgie, yer comin home with me, McCollum says. The woman looks up from her crying and slowly gets control of herself. She looks at Behan's bloodied prone body, then at the farmer-rancher. Yes, Daryl, she says and slowly walks over to join him. The deputy, marshal, judge, jurors, innkeepers, townspeople and travelers quietly watch them depart.

Here's the gunfight mechanics. It wasn't really the outcome I expected. But McCollum already having the drop on Behan was big. His first roll was a Steady shot, which cut his chance to hit in half compared to McCullom's Careful shot. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.
I considered Behan as Surprised, since he had to shoulder his firearm and aim, compared to McCollum already aiming at him.

Behan - Steady shot, Count 3, -2 Surprised. Weapon speed is Average, no modifier. Count 5. Steady shot, chance to hit is Coordination/2. [1d20]=17 Misses.

McCollum – Careful shot, Count 6. Chance to hit is Coordination. [1d20]=14 Hits. Number of shotgun hits, Short range (Table 13) - [1d6]=3
Two hits. Wound location, severity - [1d20]=9[1d6]=5 Left shoulder, serious wound. The range is Short for the weapon, so McCollum can move the shot by his Rifle (Shotgun) skill. He moves it to abdomen. [1d20]=14[1d6]=1 Abdomen, light wound. McCollum moves it to chest.

Behan – Careful shot, Count 6. One serious wound, -4 to hit. [1d20]=13 Misses.

McCollum – Careful shot, Count 6. [1d20]=1 [1d6]=1
1 hit. Location, seriousness. [1d20]=14[1d6]=2 Abdomen, light. McCollum moves it to chest, serious.

Behan has Strength 9 and took 10 damage. Goes unconscious, but not dead.
PCs

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”