OOC Discussion

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Discussion

#21 Post by tibbius »

The background informs what your character would know and could accomplish: "All characters are familiar with certain basic skills
relating to their respective backgrounds." I think it could give advantage to rolls on certain skills, e.g., a Rural character might roll Agriculture with advantage. That's just a mechanic I'm inventing right now, haven't tracked down anything that specific in the text.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by cybersavant »

ffilz
Arimite Knife Fighter
Arimite Revenant
Thiasian Performer

doppelganger
Zandir charlatan

cybersavant
Cymrilian Swordmage Aeromancer
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by ffilz »

Tossing between Armite Knife-Fighter and Thiasian Performer. The one would be more combat oriented, the other would be more charismatic and thiefly.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by cybersavant »

don't think anyone really has any thieving skills, yet
gaming since 1980

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by ffilz »

cybersavant wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am don't think anyone really has any thieving skills, yet
OK, Thiasian Performer it is then.

Should we have a characters thread or how would you like us to start posting characters?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by tibbius »

ffilz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:43 pm
cybersavant wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am don't think anyone really has any thieving skills, yet
OK, Thiasian Performer it is then.

Should we have a characters thread or how would you like us to start posting characters?
made a Characters! thread.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

doppelganger
Guide
Guide

#27 Post by doppelganger »

tibbius wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:16 pm
ffilz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:20 pm On step 5 of personalization, skills, where are the list of background skills? And the pick 2 general skills is from the first batch of skills? What ranking do these skill picks have?
Background skills are listed at the start of chapter 4: urban, rural, nomadic, wandering.

Picking skills from the list under your archetype, if it offers a choice.

Then picking 2 more "Common skills" from that list in chapter 4.

Rankings for the Common skills are ... hm. I'll get back to you! How about Competent, +5 and then add attribute?
For the archetype, it gives me a choice of spellcasting modes and a choice of weapon, so that's pretty clear. Then the other skills are just everything listed there, right? Then add 2 common skills and background.
For background skills, we're saying the background gets listed as a skill?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by ffilz »

tibbius wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:15 pm If people have Google Docs / Drawings, here is a link that will be helpful:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1KLX ... sp=sharing
This will let you make a copy of the character sheet. Then "publish to the web" and copy the link for your copy, so that using the "imgurl=" tag should let you post a live version of the sheet, like this:

Code: Select all

[imgurl=https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1KLXctxaYpzX2ytvei3mWT_grOvd29DDwB2d4-f4Opw8/edit?usp=sharing]https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/e/2PACX-1vQFtesPQVxzNleRWlMhu3PcYd1JuqEN2tnA7PRTrRidsdRsxatQdQs9f814i7CvKlwBnOtVkU9YBcwk/pub?w=1373&h=868[/imgurl]
NOTE IMPORTANT: make your own copy, otherwise you will not be able to edit. DM if you would like more help.

Hmm, I played with this a bit. You need to insert a text box for each place you want to add text...

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by ffilz »

I have two thieves skills at +2 to pick. I already have Legerdemain +5 and Traps +2

Tossing between: Deception +2, Locks +2, and Stealth +2

Also looking at things, I'm not sure our two General skills should be at +5, +2 might be more appropriate.

My character is going to be a bit of a face character as well as a thief, so maybe Deception and Locks.

Seduce and Bribe would also be nice skills, but I want to have a decent B&E skill set as well as the face stuff.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by tibbius »

doppelganger wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:16 am For the archetype, it gives me a choice of spellcasting modes and a choice of weapon, so that's pretty clear. Then the other skills are just everything listed there, right? Then add 2 common skills and background.
For background skills, we're saying the background gets listed as a skill?
Yes.
ffilz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:59 am Also looking at things, I'm not sure our two General skills should be at +5, +2 might be more appropriate.
Let's say +3.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by cybersavant »

How do you want to do spells?

There is another book with alternate options.

I quoted some so i have it all in one area - can modify posts
gaming since 1980

doppelganger
Guide
Guide

#32 Post by doppelganger »

For spells, the rulebook seems to imply that spells are made up on the spot when you cast them..? I'm reading this:
OVERVIEW: CASTING
SPELLS FROM MEMORY
The following is an overview of the procedure for
casting spells from memory. Each of the steps is
explained in detail below.
1. Player states Intent (what is the spell’s Mode &
intended effect?)
2. Player chooses Spell Level (how powerful will the
spell be?)
3. GM determines bonuses or penalties (based on the
character’s Mode rating, spell level, and other
factors)
4. Player rolls to cast spell
5. GM judges result.

CASTING SPELLS FROM
MEMORY
1. Stating Intent
Decide what kind of spell you want to cast, based
on the Modes your character knows; if your character
doesn’t know the Mode, you can’t cast a spell of that
type. Keep in mind your character’s magical Order, how
its members cast their spells, and whether or not they
use material components or rituals of any sort.
Once you’ve done this you can describe the type
of spell the character is casting and it’s intended effect.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by tibbius »

doppelganger wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:12 am For spells, the rulebook seems to imply that spells are made up on the spot when you cast them..? I'm reading this:
OVERVIEW: CASTING
SPELLS FROM MEMORY
The following is an overview of the procedure for
casting spells from memory. Each of the steps is
explained in detail below.
1. Player states Intent (what is the spell’s Mode &
intended effect?)
2. Player chooses Spell Level (how powerful will the
spell be?)
3. GM determines bonuses or penalties (based on the
character’s Mode rating, spell level, and other
factors)
4. Player rolls to cast spell
5. GM judges result.

CASTING SPELLS FROM
MEMORY
1. Stating Intent
Decide what kind of spell you want to cast, based
on the Modes your character knows; if your character
doesn’t know the Mode, you can’t cast a spell of that
type. Keep in mind your character’s magical Order, how
its members cast their spells, and whether or not they
use material components or rituals of any sort.
Once you’ve done this you can describe the type
of spell the character is casting and it’s intended effect.
Yes, this is a quirky aspect of Talislanta. The player can make up spells on the fly, but in the fiction, the character is presumed already to have learned and memorized those spells.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by cybersavant »

BUT, in the supplement, the creator states that PC creations goes against the searching for old lore, and so came up with sample spells in that book.

Califax would fall into the explorer/ ruin robber category, so i listed this spells that fit his character; of course, i can just them as guides to create my own spells - that's why i listed those

is there a GM imposed limit for starting number known?
gaming since 1980

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by tibbius »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:17 am BUT, in the supplement, the creator states that PC creations goes against the searching for old lore, and so came up with sample spells in that book.

Califax would fall into the explorer/ ruin robber category, so i listed this spells that fit his character; of course, i can just them as guides to create my own spells - that's why i listed those

One spell for each + in a mode, so for Move you would have 5 (+2, and then the +3 from being an Aeromancer) and for the other modes you chose you would have 2 each.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

doppelganger
Guide
Guide

#36 Post by doppelganger »

tibbius wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:29 pm
cybersavant wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:17 am BUT, in the supplement, the creator states that PC creations goes against the searching for old lore, and so came up with sample spells in that book.

One spell for each + in a mode, so for Move you would have 5 (+2, and then the +3 from being an Aeromancer) and for the other modes you chose you would have 2 each.
OK, I put a list of spells into the character creation topic.
It's an interesting magic system, but sure makes it a lot hard to create a magic user.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by tibbius »

Very Well!

I believe we have made our characters.

Now to begin. What sort of adventure would we like to have, here in these gods-haunted, witch-infested Western realms of Talislanta?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by cybersavant »

exploring/searching for old lore fits Califax's background
gaming since 1980

doppelganger
Guide
Guide

#39 Post by doppelganger »

How about an urban/town/city setting?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by tibbius »

Ok. The dystopian states of Aaman and Arim are not quite to my taste. Let's pick a city of Zandu. Lists of three preferences from each of you, please.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Would Be Legends (Tal 4e)”