The Caravanserai

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: The Caravanserai

#41 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Ugly Visitors
Midnight

Kain continues moving into the makeshift corral, shielding the closest animal with his body and weapon.

When Khalid causes the nearby torch to flare up to twice its original size, the oncoming lizard takes notice.

Once it's stuck with several more arrows and bolts, it finally gets the message that this meal isn't going to be as easy to obtain as it hoped. The monster lizard spins around in a flash, whipping its tail in the direction of Kain as it hurriedly scuttles back up and out of sight over the dirt ridge.

The captain of your guard squad shouts at the fleeing beast in the darkness. "And dont come back ya ugly bastard!"

He then turns to check out his team. "Is anyone hurt? Did the other one run off as well?"

He looks around at each of your faces with a guilty look on his own expression. "I dont suppose anyone wants to stay out here tonight and patrol in case those things come back, eh?"

Actions?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Urson »

Maxon
Maxon spits in the direction the beast fled. Of course. I will take whatever shift I am given.

And to answer the question from earlier, I will join the group in Xambaala.
FA FO

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#43 Post by tpj »

Khalid

Pleased that his flame spell worked, Khalid responds to the captain, I will also help patrol should these foul beasts return.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kainaxarthos

Kain almost gets his head smacked by tail as he is distracted by Khalid's work. "That's handy." He remarks while moving to retrieve the torch.

He swings his morning star around while admiring the various ranged weapons on display. "I know better than to complain, but sometimes gods work in mysterious ways. Where did the other go, by the way? Did you see how they worked in tandem? Sneaky bastards."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by hedgeknight »

Ceana

The druidess watches the lizard scurry off into the darkness, scowling that the beast took two of her arrows with it. She knows she'll never find the third one in the darkness and decides to wait until morning. "We can work in shifts. I'm awake right now and can help. I doubt I'll be able to sleep anyhow after this."
Winter is coming...

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Grognardsw »

Biblo retrieved his arrows.

"I'm happy to take a watch, though it seems others have the night covered?"

He was hoping to get back to his journal before retiring.

"Impressive fire display, Khalid."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#47 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Final Leg

The clever horned desert beasts do indeed attempt to return, about an hour later, but they are quickly driven off again by the many willing nightshift guards out on patrol.

The remainder of the night goes by uneventfully, and the weak rays of a dying Helios slowly light up the distant horizon the next morning.

Getting the caravan moving again after a quick breakfast, the excitement for the trip to be over ripples through the train of carts, wagons, humans, and animals. As the morning rolls on, the group draws ever closer to their destination, watching as the skyline of a distant Xambaala grows before their wind sore eyes.

B65496F4-E2FE-4EB6-8A38-C67F6876A654.jpeg
B65496F4-E2FE-4EB6-8A38-C67F6876A654.jpeg (109.05 KiB) Viewed 617 times

The captain of the guard joins your group on the final leg of your several day journey, thanking each of you individually with a sincere and appreciative handshake. "Once we hit the Caravanserai you folks will be free to do what you will inside the city. As I already told you, your first night stay there will be paid for. If you intend to stay on and return with us to Yithorium, let me know before we part ways today so I can take a proper head count."

He stares at the distant city as you close in on your intended destination. "Do any of you have any questions or concerns about the place before we arrive?"

Actions?

Last chance for action posts or dialog before we hit *Aramis' Caravanserai*, another main location I will detail individually once you arrive.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Urson »

Maxon
Maxon studies the skyline of the city, his face calm. He chews a piece of biltong, radiating an air of confidence.
FA FO

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Grognardsw »

...intend to stay on and return with us to Yithorium, let me know...
In how many days is the caravan headed back?

Biblo trode the desert sands, his mind occupied with what he may find in Xambaala. The Astrologers Tower sounded intriguing, an opportunity to acquire new knowledge and meet like-minded folk. And less dangerous than cannibal plagued haunted ruins beyond the city gates. Though such places often contain forbidden knowledge, which Biblo prized.

Along the way, the arcanist chatted with the Moors Khalid and Maxon. “As fellow practitioners in magick, shall we see what secrets the Astrologers Tower holds?”

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kainaxarthos

Kain nods in appreciation to the captain of the guard. "You did an excellent job here. I'll be sure to keep you in mind in the future. Where is the Caravanserai located in the city? Have you made an outpost in the Old City?"

He turns to the others in the group. "Remember to keep your wits about you in town. The slavers are always looking for new stock." Kain warns the group ominously and moves to talk to Ceana.

"It looks like we will have some time before our dinner. Care to explore the town after getting settled? I'm sure we could find something to do."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by hedgeknight »

Ceana

The young druid listens to captain of the guard and her companions, before saying, "If I find answers to my visions, then yes, I will return to Yithorium with you. So please put me down as a 'maybe.'"

When Kain invites her to explore the city, she smiles and replies, "I was hoping I wouldn't have to explore it all on my own."
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Urson »

Maxon
Maxon nods. We can also discuss trading spells. But I don't want to spend too much time- i need to begin my search.
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Final Leg

As the caravan slowly encroaches nearer to the city ahead, questions are asked of the guard captain.

"The caravan will return exactly one week from today. It runs once a month, but takes close to a week on the trail, so we aren't able to stick around here any longer than that in order to keep up our schedule for the next run."

"The Caravanserai of Aramis is located just inside the inner city. No, we do not hold any outposts in the Old City, and neither does anyone else. That area, as you will soon see, is nothing but windblown sand dunes covering old, abandoned buildings. The indomitable Zakath will always have her way, as we often say. Nothing but slaves, snakes, and scorpions live there now."

Kain warns the others to keep their wits about them if slavers are present here, lest they be the next victims of that morally questionable trade.

Bonds are strengthened and discussions about spells and towers are breached.

Maxon mentions a search he needs to partake in, though he gives no further details.

Actions?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by hedgeknight »

Urson wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:45 pm Maxon We can also discuss trading spells. But I don't want to spend too much time- i need to begin my search.
Ceana approaches Maxon and says, "Apologies, but I guess I missed your earlier conversation. What are you in search of? In my dreams, Yoon'Deh sends me visions of snakes and a ruined tower swallowed by sand. Perhaps I can accompany you on your search."
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Urson »

Maxon
I appreciate your offer. My mentor asked me to find someone... considering how such things usually go, I may need to gather some wealth before I make much progress. Information is often expensive.
Maybe I should go with you, first.
FA FO

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Grognardsw »

Urson wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:45 pm Maxon
Maxon nods. We can also discuss trading spells...
"Perhaps tonight, within the safety of the Caravanserai of Aramis, I can copy out one of your dweomers," said Biblo. "And the next morning we visit the Astrologers Tower, then be on our way that afternoon."

"Will you join us Khalid?" the libriomancer said to the other Moor.

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#57 Post by tpj »

Khalid

"I am not yet certain what I seek here. I come longing for something different from the simple life of a clothier." Khalid acknowledges.

"Ahead of us there seems to lay the promise of riches and adventure, so for now I will follow the path which takes me there. I will join you."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by hedgeknight »

Urson wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:41 pm Maxon I appreciate your offer. My mentor asked me to find someone... considering how such things usually go, I may need to gather some wealth before I make much progress. Information is often expensive.
Maybe I should go with you, first.
Ceana shrugs and leans in closer to the Moor warlock. "I'm not even sure where I'M going. Blind leading the blind, eh?" she smiles and then says a little louder. "Kain, you gonna throw your hat in with us?"
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Urson »

Maxon
Maxon grins slightly. They say the best adventures happen by accident. Tonight, I want some decent wine and feminine company. Tomorrow will be soon enough to start.
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Entering Xambaala

The caravan slows even more as it closes in on the city ahead, the tired members of the guard remaining awake as the day rolls on. There is more discussion about what they might find and where they will go once inside Xambaala.

The hard packed dirt trail that suffices as the road between the two desert settlements narrows as you enter the Old City. Here you see half buried buildings and other dilapidated structures as you pass along the sunken trail, while dunes of blowing sand cover entire blocks in other areas. You don't see any walls or gates surrounding any portions of the city, so this abandoned outer area must act as the buffer zone between the wilds of nature and the civilized folk within. There is very little of interest to look at in the Old City, but the captain urges you all to stay on full alert until the wagons are parked and the animals stabled, giving the impression this area isn't as safe as you might think.

There are no issues as you pass into the settled inner portion of Xambaala, and the complex you seek is right at the outskirts of the settled areas of town, where your captain finally lets his guard down. "I am glad to have any of you back on board with our return trip, but I understand if the calls for riches and adventure are too strong to resist. I myself have searched these desert dunes before, looking for any excitement or coin I could find. But that was years ago now, and my wanderlust has settled some since then."

Once the entire caravan is inside the walls of the caravanserai, the guards are free to do as they wish, though there is still plenty of work to do with the wagons and animals for anyone willing to lend a hand.

Actions?

This will end our intro portion of the adventure, so if there is anything else any of you would like to do beforehand, please do so here. If not, we can move this action into the correct location thread where you can all decide what to do next in comfort.

Welcome to Xambaala!!!
https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 13&t=12189

Return to “Completed Missions”