The Search For Xambaala

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Search For Xambaala

#41 Post by shaidar »

My previous statement was really just me having Xenos assess the situation just in case, angling for OGRE MAGE to give an indication of what we might need to adjust for this part of the desert, as it is near the coast. Xenos also has scale mail and will remove it if deemed a bad idea for the situation.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by sastaz »

Ok, cool. So Tuurma will probably keep hers on then.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#43 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Most warriors who travel the desert in armor wear a loose fitting cover-all of some kind over their armor to protect openings, joints etc. from being infiltrated with blowing sand which can cause great discomfort and severe chaffing of skin.

Since none of you likely have this option currently, you could drape yourselves in a bedroll or extra clothing or whatever until you reach town to equip yourselves properly.

It wont be a big deal on this one day of travel, so we wont worry about it at the moment.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by sastaz »

sastaz wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:06 pm "Any idea of what to expect in the desert? Marauders?
Tuurma will ask this out in the open instead, to anyone who would listen.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"Marauders, yes, and creatures hunt the desert wastes."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus gets ready for the journey, drinking water like someone who won't be able to do it again for days... And filling his waterskin.

Once he's ready he looks at the ship in the distance. "Fine. Those cutthroats you talk about left and didn't came back. Perhaps they're carrion for the desert denizens... Tuurma, do you remember them having a lot in their hold? We surely can make use of anything of help. Food, specially."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by sastaz »

Tuurma

"Those that swam ashore with me didn't carry a lot. Some personal belongings perhaps, but all of the goods, as well as food and water, was left on the ship. And even that's not saying much. We were running short on supplies anyway and were more or less forced to harbor. But then again, a lot of them were arseholes and I wouldn't be surprised if each and every one of them had a secret stash."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"It sounds like there is little reward for the risk of attacking the ship. Xambaala is a few hours away. It may be the gods will provide us with a chance to hunt on the way."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Not sure I want to be on a ship for a little while anyways."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

"I've heard that various undead types crawl the desert fringe seeking stragglers to devour. May they cast their eyes upon those other pirates than us.

But never fear. I have been practising new discordant melodies that strike fear of holy wrath as divine as any priestly utterances."

She blows a few bone chilling, out of tune, clashing blasts with her flute. "I call that one, 'Charming the skin off a dead snake'."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#51 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The group cleans up any freshly dropped fruits for breakfast and fill their water supplies for the final trudge to civilization. Deciding to leave the cutthroats aboard Tuurma's transport alone for now, it isn't long before they are walking along the desert sands again. The air is dry and the winds gradually increase as the day wears on, but at least the growing heat from the slowly rising rays of Helios aren't hot enough to cook you at this time of the year.

The dry, cracked ground under your feet shows little sign of moisture and the sand blowing around makes you long to get back out of it as soon as possible. Any tracks the scouts from the ship might have left are long gone, already covered by inches of blowing sand. Visibility varies as the day rolls on, but as long as you keep the sea to one side, you know you cant get lost.

At around midday, the group crests a high ridge and catches their first sighting of the distant city ahead. Though they still have a couple of hours walk in front of them, it becomes clear that they will easily reach Xambaala well before nightfall. Unless.......

As they look out over the distant area before them, Drest spots movement from the side. About 200 yards out into the desert, a pack of 10 or so wild dogs appear to be fighting over something man sized in the dusty dirt. Though the action looks quite rough, the barking and yelping of the animals can barely be heard over the whipping winds. As they take a moment to watch the action, the danger doesn't seem to be getting any closer, though it is impossible to deny the minor curiosity of what the wild canine may have discovered out here.

Actions?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rex »

Drest

"What do you think? Should we check it out? I am up for it if everyone else is too."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"Sure, but carefully. We should stick together, the pack should back off if they see our pack as stronger."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by sastaz »

Tuurma tries to get a better look at the body, but can't distinguish anything useful.

"Probably one of the scouts. We have to pass here anyway, I don't want to wait for them to pick the last bone. I agree, let's make a first impression and try to scare them off. Sorcerers, any dark arts you want to prepare? Otherwise I say we go in a tight formation and try to get a quick kill, hopefully we can single out the leader of the pack."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

"Let's keep moving. That way, out of sight and down wind of these critters. They can tear apart the victim in peace and we can be left alone."

She doesn't understand the tall Hyperboreans desire to interfere with animals feasting on their prey. The man, the figure is dead (or soon will be). Why offer ourselves as extra nibbles? Surely going 200 yards around is no big difference to us.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by shaidar »

Xenos shrugs

"We may learn something from the body, and it may have something useful on it, like money or food. It's a shame I lost my crossbow."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by sastaz »

Tuurma looks back and forth between Xenos and Valkrina.

"It's your call."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

Drest

"I say we take a look, as Xenos said maybe there is something there."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by sastaz »

Tuurma

gets ready to move in.

"Well then."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Looks like a split decision so far.....

I will update here once we see if Akhilleus wants to help or not.

Return to “Completed Missions”