IC - UtVoV - Killing Kiddaw

tibbius
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC - UtVoV

#81 Post by Pulpatoon »

Urson wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:23 pm Chones
I... can't read. Not much, anyway. Didn't really need to.
"Oh, there's no need for that to slow you down! Several of these are purely pictographic. Like, over here, Proletariat's Journey. Or The Titan's Eye, that's quite good. And... hrm. Captain Explodo doesn't have much political or literary value, but I gather it's popular."
tibbius wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:57 pm Near the bookstore you saw a couple of cafes. And of course, the famous Black Lotus Club. Where do you choose to while your time?
Foulqueret is happy to follow Chones' lead on this one. They're just hoping for a quiet spot to sit and read.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Urson »

Chones
Chones takes a copy of Captain Explodo, his eye caught by the colors and the exaggerated cleavage of Mistress Doom. He leads the way toward a small cafe. Never been to the Black Lotus- but I'm sure it's wayy too expensive for us right now. maybe when we get paid for this job, we can celebrate there.
FA FO

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by tibbius »

Time passes. Chones revels in the exploits and romantic tension conveyed by the lurid illustrations of his new comic. After a while, it's time to check out the Brass Balls.

The bowling alley is dingy and smells like the smoke from cheap cactus resin. The beige and blue diamond-patterned carpet looks like it was obtained second hand from a cheap hotel that had been condemned. It has suspect splotchy stains. About a dozen people already are in here, as if they'd been bowling before the official open.

The bored teenage cacogen behind the counter mutters, "A fragment apiece, folks." Her hair has been shaved on the sides, and dyed or maybe naturally pale green and curly. It hangs down her back and flops over her eyebrow piercing when she tilts her head. "Synth, huh?" The brief sparkle of curiosity fades from her toadwart face. "Ya need shoes?"

Meanwhile the sounds of rolling balls and crashing pins and clacking setting machines provide a lulling background noise.

You notice that most of the patrons are cacogens, about half male and half female in two separate groups, but there are a couple of true-kin who stand out by their finer clothing and more erect postures - a younger and an older male, who are bowling as part of a male threesome against the other three males.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Pulpatoon »

Foulqueret: "Shoes? I am not in the habit of wearing them, but if the intention is preserve the condition of your floors, I will certainly comply with whatever manner of dress you would prefer. I am very new to this sport. Are you available to give us some brief instructions? Perhaps a tour of the facility?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by tibbius »

The girl behind the desk giggles. "Sure, a tour, gentlepeople. Here, you are in the foyer. There, to your left, the restrooms. Facing that way, you will see the lanes. The snack bar opens at six. The shoes are here behind my desk. The balls are at the lanes." Her tone throughout is flippant. You have brought a moment of amusement to her boring day! She taps a finger on the desk. "A fragment to bowl. What size shoes do you wear?"
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Urson »

Chones
Size 10. F, you can ride my shoulder so you won't need shoes.
We're lookin' for a fella named Kiddaw. Is he around?
Chones smiles broadly, as if the cacogen girl's face is the best thing he's seen in weeks.
FA FO

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by tibbius »

How old is Chones - relative to the teenager at the counter?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Urson »

I hadn't thought about that- I'm going to say he's 22.
FA FO

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Pulpatoon »

Foulqueret begins scaling Chones' back, in order to reach his shoulders, oblivious to the fact that this would be beter done after the conversation with he counter-girl.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Urson »

Chones
URV, the cybernetic hawk, glares at F from his perch on Chones' horn. He ruffles his feathers, then calms and goes back to his silent watching.
FA FO

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by tibbius »

The girl at the counter watches Foulqueret clambering up Chones' back, and begins to giggle uncontrollably. She's also blushing, probably in response to Chones' overly-friendly facial expression.

The bowlers continue to roll.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Pulpatoon »

Foulqueret: This was an excellent suggestion, Chones. I have fine vantage point from here for observing the entire premises.

To the girl behind the counter: Yes, as my friend says, we're looking for one Kiddaw. Can you help us?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by tibbius »

"Sure," says the girl with a bright smile, "he's the cutey with the long red hair." Following with your eyes the tilt of her head, you see that one of the true-kin males is tall, triangular torso, muscular arms and legs in tight elbow-length shirt and knee-length pants ... his bowling shoes appear to glitter with sequins. He releases a ball that rumbles swiftly down the lane, concluding with a clash and clatter of pins struck aside. His team-mates shout elation: "STRIKE!"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Pulpatoon »

Foulqueret: Ah, yes. Adorable.

Chones, do you think he will be more positively inclined to interact with us if we wait until after her has finished his set? He appears to be doing well, and would surely resent a premature end to the game.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Urson »

Chones
Now, honey- why you wanna lie to me? I heard Kiddaw is a caco like us- not a true-kin. Despite his words, Chones keeps his tone light and bantering.

EGO: 18 [1d20]=13+6
FA FO

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by tibbius »

"Hah- no," the counter girl answers sincerely. She fluffs her mohawk with her fingers. "Kiddaw likes to hang with our kind, is all. He's a really nice guy, not stuck up at all. You should meet him ... look, the score panel says he's done with his set. Why don't you walk over an' say hi?"
Last edited by tibbius on Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Urson »

Chones
Chones hesitates a moment. Ok, maybe I heard wrong. How much for a beer here?
FA FO

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by tibbius »

The girl names a feasible price.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Urson »

Chones
Chones nods, buys the beer, and adds a fragment for the girl. Beer in one hand, shoes in the other, he heads for Kiddaw.

Excuse me- Kiddaw? My name is Chones, and I'd like to speak to you for a minute. He nods toward an unoccupied table.
FA FO

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by tibbius »

"Oh, hey, dude," drawls Kiddaw. "Wut kin I dew yew four?" he exaggerates his words as if for comic effect. Then he smiles a big ridiculous smile and swings himself into a seat. "Who are you little one?" he asks while staring into Foulqueret's sensor. "I'm Kiddaw," he tells Chones, and holds out his hand.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Under the Vaults of Vaarn (UtVoV)”