[002] Up the trail in search of the tiger

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[002] Up the trail in search of the tiger

#1 Post by ffilz »

Kiyoshi leads the way up the trail. It is a good trail, and leading the horses is no problem.

You arrive at a smaller shrine (the next "hut" on the trail). This is a simple trail-side shrine (it's not in an urban setting, but this was an image I could fine that I could directly link...):

It is a shrine to the Kami of the small mountain you are close to the summit of. There still has been no sign of a tiger or oni, however, you do see disturbed undergrowth surrounding a narrow trail heading down the backside of the mountain towards the stream. This trail will not be suitable for leading horses on. There is a foreboding silence and stillness in the air.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [002] Up the trail in search of the tiger

#2 Post by Marullus »

Bankei holds the rope of his donkey. "If you wish, I can hold your horses while you go a bit further on foot? Or, perhaps the mountain will help us with the pest on its surface."

Can Bankei pray at the shrine to request the kami's favor, that it brings the oni/tiger to us?
Assuming the kami also wishes this fixed.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:55 pm Bankei holds the rope of his donkey. "If you wish, I can hold your horses while you go a bit further on foot? Or, perhaps the mountain will help us with the pest on its surface."

Can Bankei pray at the shrine to request the kami's favor, that it brings the oni/tiger to us?
Assuming the kami also wishes this fixed.
From what i see in Bushido or Land of the Rising Sun, Buddhists only deal with Buddhist spirits and not Kami (and Shinto Priests the reverse).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

Fair enough. His offer to be the porter and tend the mounts still stands. Logistics are a b*tch.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by jemmus »

Bankei-san, I am obliged. If you'll hold this horse-- which is worth more money than any of us in the village- you would have my thanks. But what do you think about this shrine? I haven't seen many shrines.... But I don't like leaving behind me as I go up a mountain chasing a tiger described by a scared ghost. Bankei-san, you are priest. Who was that the ghost of, even? The big shrine's priest, or some ordinary peasant servant's ghost? Kiyoshi looks around at the forest trees and the mountainside shrine.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

If the tiger really is an Oni, you wouldn't want to leave your priest behind... The donkey can navigate the trail, and you could send the horses back to the village (no one would dare take them). Or you could try leading the horses, but the trail does look a bit treacherous for a horse.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

Bankei waits upon the decisions of the Bushi, as it is their horses which must be left to wander free in a place where a tiger is suspected.

"The ghost is of the frightened farmer, who slew the priest in his fear, and cannot rest believing the tiger can still harm him," explains Bankei. "To help the shrine we must set the ghost to rest so he can pass on to his next karmic cycle. To set the ghost to rest, you must be able to reassure him that the tiger has been dealt with. Fortunately for the good priest, he was at peace with himself and was not waylaid by his unfinished business upon his demise."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by jemmus »

Thank you for that, Bankei-san. So it is killing the oni tiger that must be done. Kiyoshi ties his horse to a tree near the shrine. I brought the horse out of concern that the tiger would kill it while we search for it. But now that we're on the mountain, I think we will hear the horse if the tiger attacks. Of course I don't want to lose my horse. But at least we will find the tiger. To Ezo, And at least it can't be stolen by anyone walking down the road by the shrine.
PCs

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Starbeard »

Ezo appears hesitant. "In truth, I am somewhat reserved about sending the horses down before us." Looking around, he fails to come up with any other ideas and draws a sour face. "But if there is no other way to protect them, then we mustn't keep ourselves from it. If it is a live tiger, hopefully it isn't hungry, or hungry enough to attack three mounts at a go."

Ezo gathers up his weapons from the horse and stalks over to the trail cutting through the underbrush. He tries to guess how big the creature making it must be.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by ffilz »

It's a shame no one has Tracking, however, Hawking covers the noble hunt, so...

Ezo doesn't have much of a feel for the trail, however, Kiyoshi examines the trail, which appears to be primarily a human made footpath, and while it would be large enough for a tiger (humans tending to make larger trails than absolutely necessary), he does not that it does not appear to show the passage of a creature as large as a tiger in hot pursuit of prey (a calm tiger might well be able to walk the trail without breaking branches and such). Further, he sees no signs of tiger foot prints in the soft ground, yet does see human foot prints (without tracking it would be difficult to discern details from the tracks or follow them across varied terrain, however, the presence of footprints in soft earth is rather easy for anyone to ascertain).

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Starbeard »

"I can't make out the trail past this little bit right in front of us," Ezo says as he squints into the underbrush, "but we do know it is heading more or less down to the stream. Let's check there."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by jemmus »

Agreed, towrd the stream then. Kiyoshi walks that way, dai-kyu in hand.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Bankei encourages them to put their necessaries on the donkey instead of their horses, then watches the horses go down the trail. He leads the much smaller donkey by its rope, following behind the Bushi.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

Who is in the lead? Everyone should make an Alertness check (including the donkey). Make a chance adjustment roll (d1000 and lookup on table) and add to Alertness.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Starbeard »

Ezo will take the lead, sword ready.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong here:
[1d1000]=860
That looks like a +7 to me, correct?
Add to Alertness 11, so total of 18

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

Alertness: Bankei [1d1000]=75 Yagi the long-eared donkey [1d1000]=241
I think my ALT is +3? Not sure the donkey stats.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:47 am Alertness: Bankei [1d1000]=75 Yagi the long-eared donkey [1d1000]=241
I think my ALT is +3? Not sure the donkey stats.
In this case it's the ALT attribute not the Adjustment. So 075 is -10 + ALT 16 is 6. Yaggi's ALT is 13 - 5 (241) for 8.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:36 am Ezo will take the lead, sword ready.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong here:
[1d1000]=860
That looks like a +7 to me, correct?
Add to Alertness 11, so total of 18
Yes, now waiting on Jemmus.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by jemmus »

Sorry for the delay. I don't know which chart to reference, so rather than delay further I'll just roll.

[1d1000]=902

That's either a great roll or a terrible one.

Kiyoshi follows two paces behind Ezo, dai-kyu in hand.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:42 pm Sorry for the delay. I don't know which chart to reference, so rather than delay further I'll just roll.

[1d1000]=902

That's either a great roll or a terrible one.

Kiyoshi follows two paces behind Ezo, dai-kyu in hand.
902 is a +8 so ALT 10 + 8 = 18.

I'm running out of time, so I'll have to post results tomorrow or possibly Saturday.

Return to “Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron)”