Barrowmaze V: Expanding Dark Horizons

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Barrowmaze V: Expanding Dark Horizons

#561 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Since we don’t even know if the dude will continue attacking us or not yet, I guess we better leave it up to the DM. :D

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#562 Post by Spearmint »

wow, so many posts very quickly. I will try to answer these next.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#563 Post by Spearmint »

A Harrowing time for the Hallowed.

The first thing to resolve is the continued combat.
Bucko lands a solid blow upon a giant toad, -6hp. Orgoth and Peaches repeat their last actions, combining to injure the second toad, -3hp. Both amphibians keel over and hop no more.

The gnomes are suddenly terrified of the zombiefied man, reloading their crossbows but failing to hit him as he feasts upon Truro. Amos tries to Turn Undead, but he ignores the command and continues to feed.

Sven has more empathy, rather than slaying Deucalion, he is pulled away and together you can restraint him from further arm. (pun intended).

Peaches tries to invoke a blasting from the gauntlet but as with Sven's ring, both items seem to exercise their power only when undead are around, clarifying then that the accursed man is not undead.

In the aftermath of tragedy, a post mortem takes place. Truro may be laid to rest here, the NPC's who might otherwise be intent on murder, sent to dig a grave instead.

There certainly should be no blame apportioned though role-playing dilemmas is always welcome. Easy to overlook things and hindsight is an easier decision maker. I chose to follow the decision to cast one CLW spell and keep the second for emergency use and randomly selected Amos who in preference boosted the fighter. Only healing minimally which may not have helped Truro if applied to him anyway. I too forgot any mention of the Palanthus healing trait.

The giant toads ambush randomly assigned. Such are the fates of dice.

You can reasonably suspect Deucalion will spring into a frenzy during any battle or should a character take an injury.

You spare his life, wrapping him securely and masking his appearance so folk cannot see his face or features. Decide what you do with him.

and with that the expedition can trek the last miles and hours solemnly into Helix.

So post here any further expeditions actions and I will get around to an Experience Awards summary and you can consider how to divide plunder and use downtime.

great trip once again.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#564 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ooooops!

I somehow assumed the toads were already killed.

Sorry about that!!! :oops:

I will put up a final action post here shortly.

I will also finish up the rest of my list so we can get treasure sorted out.

Spearmint wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:58 pm great trip once again.
Not so much for Truro. :lol:

Thanks for another exciting delve! :D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#565 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Slays/Plunder

Kills
10 Black Hand Skeletons
1 Troll
3 zombies
2 fighter bodyguards
1 halfling assassin
Tri-Ghast Abomination
de Ogilvy
2 Giant Obsidian Statues
Dust Witch (huecuva)
Palanthus' banished Super Wraith
Swarm of Giant Fireflies
3 More Huecuva
6 Ghouls
Fire Crab
Green Slime
Ravenous Zombie
3 Giant Toads

Befriended Gabby
Traded for Moo-Moo which eventually saved our assess
(Bring back Catnip for Gabby)
Found Other Party
Saved Peaches
Found Main Entrance
Tasked 7 undead pirates to aid us and trapped them in the dungeon
Figured our way out of the endless maze
Accidentally discovered secret door to Gauntlet room
Located the area of the gnomes map fragment
Found another exit stairway out of the maze
Collected ghoul parts for Mazzah
Freed Deucalion
Quickly regretted that we freed Deucalion

So far the names behind the items are only suggestions. We can discuss who wants what as we split this up. Nothing has been etched in stone, so feel free to make suggestions or switch stuff around.
Loot
* = Magic Detected
A scratched ruby ring from a dead man's finger
A carved owl about the size of a hand made from a blue-green fluorspar

*Scroll- Chant Amos?
*Minotaur Skull (can't get lost) Orgoth?
6 Sapphire (shards 1/2 value)
*Wooden ring made from dark ebony and inset with a large orange fiery tiger eye gemstone *CURSED* Sven's Finger
*Troll in the Box? Sven?

501sp
A silver bladed Poniard, the slim dagger has a pommel with inset masked face design, like a bandanna wearing highwayman
Coloured glass vases and several ceramic figurines

A rolled up leather parchment bearing a 'Last Will & Testament', stamped by the Rosy Quartz We will inspect this once back in Helix
A dozen bolts suitable for a light or hand held crossbow. Gnomes
25gp
Plain ring 20gp
35gp
V Mask Gnimmish?
*Short Sword Treyvor?

150 Gold Drake Doubloons might have to take these to Ironguard again
Pouch of several jaundiced looking pumice stones which have a briny yet pungent whiff I assume these should be appraised by a professional, maybe in Ironguard?

6 Gold Earrings
*Spider Climb Spell
*Gabby's Scroll Tube (2 new spells?) Sven/Peaches?
Incense Burning Mace
2 vails of Huecuva bone marrow

**Palanthus Gauntlet Amos?
Ceramic Vase, sealed with an airtight stopper, varnished in white and blue patterns, still glossy after the years buried Bucko?
Bronze Death Mask Yardie?
400sp
*Broken Longsword Orgoth?
*D13 Knuckle Bone Die Peaches
Shiny Apple
*Terracotta figurine, a simply crafted leprechaun caricature etched with the words 'ask and you shall receive' Orgoth?
Ghouls gold wedding ring which carries an inscription, 'love from Penelope' :(
Ancient egg timer with sand in turnable glass vial that flows for one turn of time (Circa 10gp)
three arrows that have phosphorus covered barbs anyone use a bow?
a flask of preserving fluid for anointing dead bodies

Kali Statue Chandelier I assume this should be appraised by a professional, maybe in Ironguard?

Did I miss anything?

EDIT:

Sven will cast a Detect Magic on everything once back, in case we missed anything.

Can we get a quick coin value from the underlined items? If anything would require further investigation, Sven is happy to oblige.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#566 Post by Spearmint »

Oh! Forgetful as we are, especially regarding magic gear, abilities and stuff ...

Sven: you have a potion of unknown effervescence which you figured ooc has some restorative powers. Would you like to use it on Truro?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#567 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I thought you said it would restore lost levels.

If it actually restores life to a dead person, I think I would rather save it for a PC. (especially if it’s mine) :lol:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#568 Post by Spearmint »

Truro gets buried. Amos marks his grave.

yes, you are correct. It restores levels rather than life. Sorry, I had to check my scattered notes. I am trawling the thread to cover any missed stuff. After all the combats and mishaps, I am surprised only one died.

I will edit here a summary and work out the XP awards.

None of your underlined stuff is magical. I will give a 'Treyvor's beady eye' value. With any sales, you might get more or less.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#569 Post by Spearmint »

Summary of Experience Awards.

Creatures Encountered

Exploding Skeletons x 11 +550xp
Troll +813xp
De Ogilvy & crew. +300xp
Zombies x 3 +120xp
Pirate skeletons x 7 +150xp
Huecuva x4 (including Fire Crab) 552xp
Gauntlet room wraith 725xp
Giant Fireflies and Green Slime +100xp
Crystal Statues x 2 +660xp
Ghouls x 6 +510xp
Abominable Barrow Ghast +510xp
Giant Toads x 3 +276xp

Total A: 5266xp I am going to add +10% due to several of these being near fatal encounters. So 5792xp

Exploration and Encounters

Meeting with Gabby and trading keys and Minotaur skull for more spells. +200xp

Locating 'Main entrance' and corridors on Gnome map, blood god area and stairwell. +200xp

Rescue of Deucalion and his repatriation rather than killing him. +50xp

Locating Palanthus Gauntlet. +500xp

Ad-hoc information gathering and extending your Barrowmaze Map knowledge. +100xp

Total B: 1050xp

A + B = 6842xp divided by three full shares and five surviving npc half shares. Equals 1244xp per full character share.

Added to this is any prime requisite bonus.
Sven: no prb = 1244xp
Orgoth: +124xp = 1368xp
Peaches: no prb = 1244xp

Roleplay and participation:

Every player character also gets +100xp for participation and for surviving no less than six delves, a Barrowmaze
Veteran
award of +300xp goes to Sven & Orgoth too and Sven (or rather OM for the continued mapping, treasure and archive record keeping which is a great help), +200xp

Shout out moments: twice collapsing unstable portions of rubble to nearly kill half the team.

Doughnut of the Day, Peaches eating an obviously poisoned Hag-fruit.

The Whims of Fate: being saved from losing your life and shadows in the maze crypt by using, not your head but Moo-Moo's.

Setting the spilt oil on fire behind the coffer that put ash upon the secret door outline.

Obtaining mystery messages from beyond the grave.

Tragedy striking Truro down.

Final Experience Awards summary.

Amos: 623xp
Yardie: 623xp
Bucko: 622xp
Gnimish: 622xp
Treyvor: 622xp

Orgoth: 1768xp
Sven: 1844xp
Peaches: 1344xp

meaning your character sheet total should reflect as follows:

Sven: 7062xp/8001xp.
Orgoth: 7090xp/8001xp.
Peaches: 3845xp/4001xp.

Remember using downtime to create expedition tributes, raise memorials, investing in class skills will give another bonus xp return. Let me know if I have missed any bits out.

and in a few weeks, a Christmas and New Year bonus.

Comments and questions please.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#570 Post by Rex »

Looks good so far. Thanks for another great adventure. We are both closing in on 4th level now.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#571 Post by Spearmint »

working on your treasure list appraisal now.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#572 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is still devastated, but not surprised when the others continue their attack on the zombified elf. He is glad to see they are eventually willing to let him try to save the poor bastard, despite the fact he just killed their friend.

"Deucalion will be bound and covered before we take him to see the wizard along with all these stinking undead body parts. If Mazzah doesn't know what to do about this, perhaps the priests in the temple will."

Aiding Amos with the burial, Sven ponders the situation for a long time at the grave of their friend, promising himself and anyone listening that he will do whatever he can to make this situation right. (He takes whatever valuables the cleric had so they aren't lost to the moors forever.)

"Does anyone know if Truro had family or friends outside of this group or the church? I think his share of the spoils should either go to family, or be used to purchase a memorial stone or something like that."

With his head hung low, Sven marches the rest of the way into Helix with the others, heading directly to the wizards tower first. "Let's all reunite in the tavern later to go through our stuff. In the meantime, I will get some better appraisals on the odd items."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#573 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"All sounds good and we should give his share to his family for sure, he was a good man. I will take care of our room while you go to the tower Sven, I won't be much use there."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#574 Post by Spearmint »

Loot
* = Magic Detected
A scratched ruby ring from a dead man's finger: 150gp+
A carved owl about the size of a hand made from a blue-green fluorspar. 150gp+
*Scroll- Chant Amos?
*Minotaur Skull (can't get lost) Orgoth?
6 Sapphire (shards 1/2 value) 50gp x 6 300gp.
*Wooden ring made from dark ebony and inset with a large orange fiery tiger eye gemstone *CURSED* Sven's Finger
*Troll in the Box? Sven?

501sp
A silver bladed Poniard, the slim dagger has a pommel with inset masked face design, like a bandanna wearing highwayman. Silver daggers retail around 35gp. This may be from a rogue guild weapon.
Coloured glass vases and several ceramic figurines. 120gp as decorative trinkets.
A rolled up leather parchment bearing a 'Last Will & Testament', stamped by the Rosy Quartz We will inspect this once back in Helix. belongs to 'Jonas J. Dunhill Snr.
A dozen bolts suitable for a light or hand held crossbow. Gnomes. assigned to gear
25gp
Plain ring 20gp
35gp
V Mask Gnimmish? need to check this find but if assigned it probably has basic value.
*Short Sword Treyvor? gladius short sword etched in Latin type script. Assigned.

150 Gold Drake Doubloons might have to take these to Ironguard again.
Pouch of several jaundiced looking pumice stones which have a briny yet pungent whiff I assume. assume correct. Value per gram/quality.
These should be appraised by a professional, maybe in Ironguard? Mage College, 2000gp?

6 Gold Earrings basic 50gp x 6 300gp
*Spider Climb Spell
*Gabby's Scroll Tube (2 new spells?) Sven/Peaches?
Incense Burning Mace. more ceremonial than weapon functional. Check with church.
2 vails of Huecuva bone marrow. taken as spell components

**Palanthus Gauntlet Amos? (relic, priceless? 5000gp+ if sold?
Ceramic Vase, sealed with an airtight stopper, varnished in white and blue patterns, still glossy after the years buried Bucko? has ground body parts within.
Bronze Death Mask Yardie? fierce warrior face, functional to mask but not magic.
400sp
*Broken Longsword Orgoth?needs repair. Shards radiate enchantment. Reforge for +1 weapon?
*D13 Knuckle Bone Die. Peaches.
Shiny Apple. eaten
*Terracotta figurine, a simply crafted leprechaun caricature etched with the words 'ask and you shall receive' Orgoth?
Ghouls gold wedding ring which carries an inscription, 'love from Penelope' :( 50gp
Ancient egg timer with sand in turnable glass vial that flows for one turn of time (Circa 10gp)
three arrows that have phosphorus covered barbs anyone use a bow? strike to make fire arrow. , adds +1 damage and sets combustibles alight.
a flask of preserving fluid for anointing dead bodies. unused on Truro ... keep in team supplies for future use?
Kali Statue Chandelier I assume this should be appraised by a professional, maybe in Ironguard?
six arms, glass orbs, slight chips on body but otherwise good condition. 600gp?

Did I miss anything?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#575 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Cool!
Thanks!

So far we are looking at a total of...
895gp
901sp

These items are not included yet, in case of higher possible values.
A rolled up leather parchment Jonas J. Dunhill Snr. 'Last Will & Testament', stamped by the Rosy Quartz Does anyone else want to tackle looking into this one?
A scratched ruby ring from a dead man's finger
A carved owl about the size of a hand made from a blue-green fluorspar
150 Gold Drake Doubloons
Pouch of several jaundiced looking pumice stones

**Palanthus Gauntlet**
Ceramic Vase, sealed with an airtight stopper, varnished in white and blue patterns, still glossy after the years buried
Bronze Death Mask
Kali Statue Chandelier

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#576 Post by Rex »

I think the Gauntlet is the biggie we need to consider as group treasure at this point. Orgoth considers himself a "Holy Warrior of Crom" but obviously isn't really and lacks the scores to be, but maybe picking up Cleric (he has a 9 Wis so just makes it) would make it usable.

Excellent stuff. Peaches may be a better option then the half-orc fighter on helping Sven with most of this. Orgoth will deal with the broken sword when he checks on his armor that the Dwarves are making for him (should be done June 22nd if on schedule).

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#577 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Agreed!

The best person to use the gauntlet was probably Truro, sadly.
Ghouls gold wedding ring which carries an inscription, 'love from Penelope' 50gp
If there are no objections, Sven will buy this item from the group and keep it with the other Penelope trinkets. (not sure why) :lol: He’ll buy the egg timer too, if nobody else wants it. (10gp)

Since we should be getting a decent amount, I am totally cool with sitting on some of these items until we can return to IG so we can reap the greatest rewards. No point in taking half value if we don’t need to. Is that cool?

(Especially the 150 Gold Drake Doubloons
Pouch of several jaundiced looking pumice stones
Kali Statue Chandelier)

Before I finalize the sale, does anyone else want to claim anything specific? Or would you rather have it converted to gp?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#578 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

That all sounds good to me.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#579 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Rex wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:46 am Orgoth

That all sounds good to me.
Me too.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#580 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Cool! Thanks!

I will record the Ghouls gold wedding ring which carries an inscription, 'love from Penelope' 50gp and
Ancient egg timer with sand in turnable glass vial that flows for one turn of time 10gp on my sheet. -60gp added to total from sheet

901sp
80gp
(+60gp from Sven's purchase of ring and timer)
6 Gold Earrings basic 50gp x 6 300gp
6 Sapphire (shards 1/2 value) 50gp x 6 300gp
Coloured glass vases and several ceramic figurines. 120gp as decorative trinkets.
A silver bladed Poniard, the slim dagger has a pommel with inset masked face design, like a bandanna wearing highwayman. Silver daggers retail around 35gp
V Mask
Bronze Death Mask

If nobody wants to hold onto any of this, I will try again to sell.

A scratched ruby ring from a dead man's finger: 150gp+
A carved owl about the size of a hand made from a blue-green fluorspar. 150gp+

I think we should set these two items aside with the other stuff to bring to IG with us.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”