Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This expedition thread is set up for the trek to investigate the mound used by the Saurons' which was built to house a tomb for a famed knight if Nergal known by the monicker, Blossom of Death.

The group is headed by paladin Sir Dewey and includes Vann Hector , mercenerary Sundance, the lizardman Soothsayer Bharazd'had , six conscript militiamen from Lord Krothos, cleric of Arcantryl Moorheath and any others who may wish to confirm places.

Cosmo? Yhtgar's character? Sigrid if she returns in time?

The expedition will be dated as leaving Helix upon May 26th 1066.

I will open this thread once loose ends are confirmed.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Helix Village, Duchy of Aerik.

May 26th 1066.

After days of preparation and discussion, the morning comes when the expedition back to the Sauron Mound is scheduled to leave.

Bolstered by hired hands, conscripts and foolhardy or brave volunteers, the group set off. There is little fanfare, normally the town crier tolls a bell naming names and exalting their prowess but this time he is ominously silent. Not that the group have any bad reputation, rather Lord Krothos would not draw notice to the group including a lizardman Soothsayer. It would not go down well with the general public and guild merchants to see such a murderous convict be given liberty. Yet the mitigations of paladin and mage has stayed Bharazd'had's execution on the grounds he pledges allegiance to the joint cause of prevailing against the hordes of hell that reside within the tomb's unexplored depths. He arrives alongside the conscript militia. While they bear spears fluttering with Duchy pennons and march in time, the Sauron shuffles each step, shackled between ankles by a heavy iron chain. It seems some restraints upon his freedom are still in place.

Sir Dewey takes a head count. The eclectic team must suffice the unknown difficulties ahead.

everyone on this expedition please post.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Vann Hector Open Locks attempt vs 29% [1d100]=88

Arrives from the chapel having spent time in the church graveyard praying for the grace and favour needed and burning his luck with the Golgarth votive candle.

remember Sigrid, Cosmo, Sir Dewey to post your prayer in the chapel thread to gain the blessing from the tribute.

The first thing he sees is the hooded Bharazd'had and the shackles he wears that restrain him from running away. He wonders how the lizardman receives his divine blessings, surely no such 'god of dragons' exist? He hopes not to meet one and find out.

Once out of the village patrol area and upon the moor, he will insist on halting so he can have a go at releasing the locks on the Soothsayer's ankles.

"Our expedition is based on mutual trust and co-operation. That is undermined should we treat him as a prisoner.

That being said, Bharazd'had , if you run away or betray us, I will kill you."

Despite having artisan lock picking equipment, it seems Lord Krothos has disable the lock and he cannot open it. He tried at least, not happy but shrugs. We have no blacksmith to crack it so will have to deal with it. At least if there was any attempt to escape, he wouldn't be able to run too fast. He also figures his threat is unlikely to persuade the Bharazd'had to do anything he would otherwise consider having accepted his fate to be gibbetted in the town square, so a blade in the back might just get a "whatever" response.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The lack of Fanfare suits the Paladin just fine. The shackles do give him concern, but he resolves to let it lay until they get out of town.

"Hello again Bharazd'had. Thank you for your assistance with our mission. I have a few questions if you would. What can you tell me of the door and the cults? Second, are you able to cast and act while restrained?"

The Knight nudges Vann Hector to help translate if required.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid spends her short time in town mostly relaxing and studying her spellbook, after a rather brief visit to the chapel. When the market opens she will leisurely walk through it searching for any components she might have need of, if available, and spending a fair amount of gold on foodstuffs concentrating on things that will last at least a bit as well as some that won't. She buys an assortment of vegetables, fruit, nuts, a loaf of bread and even a few pastries and candies. (Coins deducted from my sheet.)

On the appointed day and time, she arrives early and observes Sir Dewey and Vann speaking with the shackled lizardman. She hangs back not wanting to interfere. She hums softly patiently waiting for the group to set out.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth

After staggering up to his room after a night of strong drink, Moorheeth wakes in the morning thinking of the web of threads that he’s heard so far. One early idea that he clings to is that he needs to understand more about what fire he is falling into…

He meets up with Cosmo and spends a bit of time examining his notes surrounding the pentagram and various inscriptions. Ah yes, excellent work! There must be something to these inscriptions here! And those there….

Head buzzing with all the different ideas and possibilities, and with no small bit of nerves, he does make it on the appointed day fully equipped.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

in his inebriated state, feels a bit "Naaah.." about wobbling over to the chapel for that tribute & blessing. He'll take his chances anyway, muttering to himself "I'm, I'm shure...to pick up on the swings what I lost on the merry-go-round. Hic"*

*all Swedes on this forum will know what this means :D

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

it is late past midnight now, I will update this scene later. Thank you for your patience.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, Duchy of Aerik.

May 26th 1066.

The group follow a familiar deer path that meanders around boggy pools and overgrown thickets, heading south and west across the Barrow Moor from the Ironguard trade route. By now you are familiar with the dangers that could lurk in every pool and thicket, so you make your progress on a high state of alert. One false step could send a man to a multitude of dooms.

Despite Vann Hector's best lockpicking efforts, it seems the Duchy jailers have seen fit to jam the shackles on Bharazd'had's ankles and the rogue is unable to free him from the restraints. His threats to slay him for any betrayal a moot point. The Lizardman Soothsayer just shrugs. He is happy to still be alive, is so due to the mitigations brought by the paladin and mages but he is no fool, suspecting that the conscript guards at least might have an unfulfilled agenda.
What can you tell me of the door and the cults? Second, are you able to cast and act while restrained?
Responding to Sir Dewey, he nods. "I will need to see the door and the inscriptions myself though I understand your mages and sages have taken notes and enquired such things. While I am only bound in step, I can somatically trace the arcane weavings necessary to invoke various rituals."

Cosmo, Moorheeth, Sundance & Sigrid make a strange spellcasting quartet but each has certain skills to test against any ritual still in effect.

The trek across the Moor goes without major incident. A bull charge by a large buffalo intent on shepherding his brood mares is the only alert though easily swerved by moving out of the territorial breeding patch.

Barrow Mounds & Moor random [1d6]=1[1d6]=4[1d6]=2[1d6]=6[1d6]=5

Eventually, you break ground into the eastern portion of the Barrow Mound meadow and can assess your actions before you tackle whatever dangers lurk in the mound.

actions and comments please.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Darkmane »

moorheeth

During the trip Moorheeth keeps a close watch on the lizard man soothsayer. Over time his interest has become peaked, and he wonders how lizard man magic might work….

At some convenient moment Moorheeth will pull aside Van and also Cosmo with the goal of understanding what magic they’ve seen the lizard man wield.

Once the arrive at the mounds, Moorheeth will follow the more experienced delvers and see to where they might start.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

has not seen the lizardman perform any magic and is therefore not in the know about this.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He halts the party at the border of the meadow. "Keep an eye out, I don't expect much trouble with a party this size, but animals do get desperate. So stay together. And watch out for those pit creatures!"

The Knight moves to Vann. "You have a good sense of direction. Lead the way. Let's try to avoid any mounds that aren't our objective, for now."

He asks Bharazd'had a question. "Have you been out here? What do you know of the mounds?"

His plan is to find the mound, then scout and prepare nearby.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Stirling »

The Knight moves to Vann. "You have a good sense of direction. Lead the way. Let's try to avoid any mounds that aren't our objective, for now."
Vann Hector

I would like to avoid the neighbouring mound that seems to be filled with the buried, undead Legionnaires. No point in awakening more critters to our presence if we can avoid that area. My understanding of that mound is of one huge mass grave with a handful of corpses rising to the surface, crawling from graves or digging their way out of the interior mound tomb? He wonders how many still lie in state and what if any armoury, treasures lie within any central burial chamber.

So I will try and approach the former Sauron Mound, climbing the hill from the north side and walking over the crest to get above the entrance and lintel stones that were once covered by the scale curtain. I will spend a good few turns listening and studying the area. Are new guards, lizardmen or undead by the entrance? Is the seal open, are the braziers lit?

After being able to gather a report, he returns to the group then advises them accordingly.

Vann Hector tries to move silently vs 20% [1d100]=24Vann Hector: Hides in Shadows vs 20% [1d100]=11

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

As they pause to access things, Sigrid takes a moment to chat with each of the small group, offering some of the fruit she carries as a small snack as they decide upon a more permanent camp or destination. She stops briefly to talk with Cosmo, since she knows him from their previous excursion and asks how he fares and what his thoughts are on the current expedition. She didn't really know Moorheath having only met him at the inn, but she did make note of his fascination with the lizard creature and she takes a moment to ask Moorheath a bit about his past. One could never know too much about their companions as their very lives might depend on them. Which brought her to the other newcomer in their group, Sundance. As the other female in the group and another mage to boot, she was hoping they might get to know one another better. She also approaches the lizard man with the name she didn't think she could even begin to pronounce, and offers him some fruit too. She didn't know what to make of him, since she had never seen a creature quite like him before. She doubted lizard folk like the cold northern environs so of course she wouldn't know much of his kind.

After Vann leaves to scout, she approaches Sir Dewey and wanting to make him feel less stressed out, offers him some of her grapes. "They're a bit sour, but then so am I sometimes," she grins up at him. "I brought along some food for when we make camp and part of it won't last long out here, so I thought I'd cook us up a proper meal for our first night. Do you have requests?" arching a brow as she asks.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo to Sigrid

"I was warned that I should not harbour much hope of survival on treks like these, but half the strength is in the teamwork, as you might agree from our previous mission. True, when faced with all the ghastly entities from beyond that haunt these mounds, and especially when locked up in the nefarious mound with ethereal vultures and whatnot hacking away at the door, I did chew my gnomic fingernails a bit. But I had full trust in our comrades returning to save the day - and they did. I can vouchsafe: this is a most trustworthy group. In that lies our continued success."

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth to Sigrid

Well met, we weren't able to discuss much the night in the tavern. I had spent some time at the table with Vann and well you can guess what state I was in. I'm a cleric of Arcantryl, lord of magic, so I'm very much interested in the how they cast spells. I think we could learn much from how some of the dragon races can cast natural magic. Perhaps a new way of using magic is obtainable for men as well?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He takes the grapes with thanks. "I'm sure that I don't know. I gladly welcome anything you choose to make. I would, however, be interested in something native to you." The Knight lingers and offers to help Sigrid with anything she needs.

His attention is split between Sigrid, and keeping a lookout for the returning Vann.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid listens thoughtfully to Cosmo's words. He had the right of it, the teamwork of this group was essential to their survival. She would definitely take his word for the reliability of the small eclectic band, some of whom were strangers. She thanks him for the information and gives him a bit of hard candy she bought in the market. She says, "The merchant assured me it would taste like a sunny morning," though she wasn't exactly sure what that tasted like.

Her chat with Moorheath was most enlightening. "So this lizard can cast spells?," she asks rather amazed. "I can see why you are interested then," resolving that she would keep a closer eye on that lizard man wondering what type of magic he might cast.

She gets the wrapped cod she purchased at the market out of her backpack and puts Sir Dewey busy scaling the fish. "In my homeland, fish like this is cut into thick chunks and boiled in water as salty as the sea. Then we cut rye bread and spread melted butter and mustard over the fish and eat it on the bread." She slaps her hand to where Sir Dewey's belly would be under his armor, "It fills the kviðr! That I can tell you," laughing as she gathers more ingredients from her backpack. "Oooh, I've got an onion too, we can add that."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, Duchy of Aerik.

May 26th 1066.

A little wild camping is made on the edge of the Barrow Meadow. The smelly fish is ripe for eating and while some stealth elfs scout ahead, Sigrid dig a pits to take a few cut logs balancing a little mess running salted water over a tripod. Skewered portions of ripe tomatoes, gathered mushrooms and onions rings are added over the embers to frazzle . It is a welcome respite on the eerie moor, despite the unseen dangers. (I will give each character a +1 to any morale check). A few feast, a skewer offered to Bharazd'had also. "Careful Ma'am. He'd prefer to nibble your arm." warns a conscript. The guards watch him eat then make sure the skewer, though just a sharpened stick is taken from his hands. Clearly they have doubts in his regard and regiment his freedom cautiously.

"It is known. The strong survive, in times of famine it is from the weak." the lizardman comments, referring to a rumour that elder hatchlings may predate upon the litter runts if food becomes in short supply. "We are an evolving people. Only in the last generations did we forsake eating two-legs." he says regarding human consumption, still for effect he gnashes his teeth at the guards.

Vann Hector & Sundance sneak around, edging around a couple of barrows to avoid the mass grave site of undead Legionnaires. Reaching the Sauron Mound, you scale the hillock and get to above the sealed entrance. There is no scale tarpaulin covering the exposed capstone. The carved skull and crossed roses of the Black Legion radiating a baleful aura. It makes both of you nauseous. save vs spells please.

Looking down from your spot you can see no stationed guard, either lizardman or undead. The line of braziers that once illuminated an area of patrol remain unlit. The bodies once feasted on by scorpions and vultures alike have been scavenged clean and scattered over a wide area. Silence reigns.

You note the entranced, pushed closed and spiked by the group previously is narrowly ajar though no torch light radiates any glimmer from inside the mound.

You take a good hour to listen, watch, make notes. Eventually you conclude that nothing predatory lurks nearby and no undead wander the area. Reporting back the group can make a decision to enter the mound.

actions please.

everyone who passes within sight of the capstone, effectively anyone who enters the mound, needs to add a save vs spells please.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Reports back, concerned regarding the effect of the evil aura radiating from the capstone above the entrance. That is an ill omen but could be a good forewarning.

Having lit a candle earlier, he mentally rehearses how we are 'candles in the darkness'.

Vann Hector: save vs Spells 15+ [1d20]=19

"No fear Sundance. We have faced death before and prevailed. We shall do so again!"

He tries to sound convincing (and macho) in front of the mage maiden.

Once we go back to the mound as a group, he will sneak to the entrance to check out the area and once convinced the coast is clear, wave others to follow him.

Vann Hector: Move Silently vs 26% [1d100]=61 Hides in Shadows vs 20% [1d100]=97

or come to his rescue, whatever the case may be ...

Return to “Completed Expeditions”