Game Thread: Onreon

Hvalreki
Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

Game Thread: Onreon

#1 Post by Hvalreki »

Jon Stenvallez

After a week of travel the ship exits hyperspace arriving in the Onreon system. There is some tension among the crew when they encounter another vessel but once communications are established turns out to be a noble's yacht just in from Reisbeon and stopping here for resupply before heading out to Port Royal.

About 20 hrs later the Jon Stenvalez touches down and passengers begin to disembark.

Rando, please roll 2d6 (5+ succeeds) in your next post to survive low passage revival

Feb 9, 2745

Onreon

Onreon is a low G world with a thin atmosphere which is breathable and untainted. The temperature is humid and warm.

The Travellers stand on the arrival bay with their luggage deciding what to do next.

Character Actions?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Game Thread: Onreon

#2 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rando somehow survives the ordeal!

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Thumper »

Dmitri sought to say a semi-formal goodbye to the Captain, Triggs and each member of the crew. One never knows when acquaintances will again be met, and he’s of a mind to build a network of friends in the shipping business.

He surveys his surroundings as he catches up with Terry, Alfonse and Rando.

Find us rooms yet? Let’s get settled…then I’m buying everyone a steak dinner. Triggs recommended a place. Afterward, maybe a pub crawl while putting out feelers for a job. I’m buying the night.

I’ve been thinking, Mielo made no apparent moves on us leaving Port Royal, Fendon’s been neutered. I’m thinking we may be clean to start afresh here. Thoughts?

Totalguest
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by Totalguest »

Sounds good. I wouldn’t mind putting a bit more distance between us and that last place. Maybe we can find a job that sends us out a little further. In the mean time, I’ll take you up on that steak offer.

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#5 Post by dongriffiths »

Alphonse checks traffic schedules at the starport to see if any suitable berths would be available for the team. He also picks up a local guide book andtries to find out something about the local scene, who the major traders are and what groups might be stretching the limits a bit.

Streetwise

Steak sounds good to me, hopefully we can find something for everyone here and avoid trouble.
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rando
Why does waking from Coldsleep always feel like you haven't slept and are just recovering from being run over by a starship?

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Hvalreki »

Thumper wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:21 am Dmitri sought to say a semi-formal goodbye to the Captain, Triggs and each member of the crew. One never knows when acquaintances will again be met, and he’s of a mind to build a network of friends in the shipping business.

He surveys his surroundings as he catches up with Terry, Alfonse and Rando.

Find us rooms yet? Let’s get settled…then I’m buying everyone a steak dinner. Triggs recommended a place. Afterward, maybe a pub crawl while putting out feelers for a job. I’m buying the night.

I’ve been thinking, Mielo made no apparent moves on us leaving Port Royal, Fendon’s been neutered. I’m thinking we may be clean to start afresh here. Thoughts?
Unfortunately Dimitri didn't quite gel with the crew. The captain wasn't one to intermingle especially working passengers. He got along well enough with Leon the medic and Suarez the Pilot but both men encouraged him not to sign on. They did recommend a place called Kintz Barbecue for good meats and also advised caution outside the port city as the locals don't take too kindly to offworlders.

Totalguest
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by Totalguest »

Alright, lets hit Kintz BBQ and help get Rando put back together, and then see if we can find some job postings. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm eventually going to need to have some credits coming in.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Thumper »

Dmitri would part as politely as he could under the circumstances, knowing it was futile…

Ya, Terry. I think that’s wise to get a bit more distance given the right set up. Let’s go then…find rooms in which to drop our gear then a good night out. Can’t wait after having to deal with that uptight crew. Worse than even the worst Captain and crew in the Navy! These guys need to rethink their lives…some seriously unhappy dudes!
Last edited by Thumper on Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Totalguest wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:55 pm Alright, lets hit Kintz BBQ and help get Rando put back together, and then see if we can find some job postings. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm eventually going to need to have some credits coming in.
Me too - those low berths are low-quality and dangerous! I never thought I'd be using one. Who won the lottery?

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Hvalreki »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:58 am Me too - those low berths are low-quality and dangerous! I never thought I'd be using one. Who won the lottery?

Rando - please pick a number between 1 and 9

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Hvalreki »

dongriffiths wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:41 pm Alphonse checks traffic schedules at the starport to see if any suitable berths would be available for the team. He also picks up a local guide book and tries to find out something about the local scene, who the major traders are and what groups might be stretching the limits a bit.

Streetwise

Steak sounds good to me, hopefully we can find something for everyone here and avoid trouble.
Kintz Meats specializes in Tusker, a porcine derivative common on many worlds where there is human settlement. The starport, startown and surrounding farmsteads are claimed and controlled by Port Royal. City dwellers have limited contact with the indigenous population, competing tribes of low tech humans.

Most trade goods are imported and taxed heavily. Exports are primarily agricultural foodstuffs destined for Port Royal or other wealthy systems. Alphonse picks up there is a lot of resentment from the locals against their offworld colonizers. Current law levels reflect Port Royal's desire to keep more advanced weaponry out of the hands of the colonized.

Players may chose to explore on their own or actively search for a Patron that might point them towards a more unusual opportunity (one roll per week of game time to for an active Patron search). You may also choose to do something else entirely or having found a Patron turn them down and spend another week looking for a different one.

What's also going on in the background are potential Random Encounters:
Daily check vs Law Level for Legal Encounters
Daily check for random encounter
Animal or other encounters if travelling on the world's surface
Space encounters when moving between worlds.
Routine encounters (clerks, officials, etc. as needed)
Adventure encounters, as they occur depending on what the players are doing

Character Actions?

Totalguest
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by Totalguest »

First thing Terry would like to do is find a decent room to bunk up in. After that he would head to Kintz for some Tusker with anyone that would like to join him. The next day, Terry is interested in seeing if he can locate a patron with an interesting job.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Thumper »

Same for Dmitri

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#15 Post by dongriffiths »

Alphonse will also find a decent room for starters then join the others for some Tusker.

Guys if you try to find us something we can make decent money from I'll see about using my stewarding skills to get something basic to give us a few credits to help cover ongoing costs. It'll also help me get a better idea of how things work around here
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Thumper »

Sounds great, Alfonse.

Dmitri checks the starport and local e-boards to see if there are any existing job postings for ship crews, relic hunters, security teams, etc.

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by dongriffiths »

Following a very pleasant meal and a good nights rest Alphonse will begin looking for employment in one of the local establishments. Whilst doing so he also continues tying to gather information and an understanding of the power dynamics of the area and identify the major players and any of the indigenous people who may frequent the town.

Streetwise

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Thumper »

Dmitri will also look up the common library data on the Atcevein and Reibeo systems. He’ll also research those system’s cultures.

He’ll also conduct research into any old archeological sites on Onreon. He’d be interested to learn of any potential exploration opportunities.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Hvalreki »

Thumper wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:42 pm Dmitri will also look up the common library data on the Atcevein and Reibeo systems. He’ll also research those system’s cultures.
Local Region Map Updated
Added Atcevein & Reisbeon UWP and Map to Library Data
Details to follow

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Hvalreki »

Onreon

Feb 11, 2745 OER

The group spends their first day setting up shop and settling into their Startown lodging. A fine meal at Kintz Meats hits the spot for the carnivores among them.

The low gravity takes a bit of getting used to but open skies and breathable atmosphere are a welcome respite from recycled starship air. After a restful night the crew decides to seek out a patron and get to know the lay of the land. Alphonse has his eye out for local job opportunities.

Onreon it seems is not a "natural" world in the regular sense. It was either highly terraformed or carefully placed in the goldilocks zone of the main star presumably by the long gone Old Empire. Port Royal has been on the scene only in the last 100 years or so and has setup a series of farmsteads to take advantage of a climate perfectly suited to growing human friendly crops.

A wall surrounds the city proper, like a medieval town. It is pierced by a few main roads carrying a steady stream of tucks laden mostly with agricultural products from the surrounding farmsteads that are processed in and shipped offworld.

Stepping off the main road the group wanders into narrower alley and encounters the following:

A thin young man with whipcord muscles in native dress is surrounded by a group of jeering men blocking his exit from the alley. He carries a long stave, taller than he is and is keeping them at bay. His nose is bleeding .

Next poster please roll 1d6 for initiative. Characters who possess armor are assumed to be wearing it. Characters with short bladed weapons are assumed to have them. If anyone who owns a concealable weapon wants to have it on them may say so in their post.

Return to “Space 1977 (Classic Traveller)”