Game Thread: Onreon

Hvalreki
dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

Re: Game Thread: Onreon

#81 Post by dongriffiths »

Alphonse will take advantage of this short respite to visit a couple of bars and appear to overindulge while bemoaning the horrors of the scummy natives

Only been here a couple of hours and I got set upon, look split my head open the swine

If I knew where they were I'd get out there and get some payback.

Hoping to get some meaningful intel he also drops 100Cr to help loosen tongues.

Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by Hvalreki »

Onreon

Feb 12 2745 OER

Alphonse chats up the locals and learns some things of note.

1. Tusker hunting permits are available at the security forces offices allowing Rifle, Shotgun, Revolver and bladed weapons to be carried while in the wild outside the city.

Permits are CR 50 per person and good for one month. The same weapons must be shown at the end of the permit or there is a heavy fine.
Presumably this is to prevent weapon transfer to the indigenous human tribesmen.

2. The locals generally mistrust and fear the tribesmen. There have been attacks on outlying farmsteads and there have been reports of trucks disappearing on route to the further settlements.

Character Actions?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by Thumper »

Dmitri:

“Well guys…want to go Tusker hunting? I do.”

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Thumper wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:36 pm Dmitri:

“Well guys…want to go Tusker hunting? I do.”
And why not.

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#85 Post by dongriffiths »

Sounds good to me too, anyone know where this security office is?

We should register all our kit and see about hiring some sort of vehicle for a week or so.
Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#86 Post by Thumper »

Agree.

Do we have enough radios and guns for all? We could go by air if we want to try to find the map’s location. Or if we are to find that local kid, best to rent a truck. I’m going n favor of the latter for now. Seems this kid wanted us to find him.

I’d like to go buy a tent and camping gear. I have all the weapons and radios I need.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by BackworldTraveller »

dongriffiths wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:26 pm Sounds good to me too, anyone know where this security office is?

We should register all our kit and see about hiring some sort of vehicle for a week or so.
1000km - no good road - It'll take longer than a week - especially if it rains.

And check the fuel consumption over rough ground. 1000km range is 10 hours at 100km/h 10 hours at 20km/h uses the same fuel (or worse) but you only do 200km.

And spares. Tyres, wheels, bearings, etc. There are none out there.

Long distance cross-country logistics are not a minor issue. They can kill. Is there a local riding beast? Refuels on local fodder; goes slowly; gets there.

Or are there nice pit-stops on the route? Then a vehicle makes sense.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by Thumper »

Hmm! I’m kinda liking the idea of riding mounts…if there are any.

He does a search on space Google.

He’ll also investigate digital maps for labels of nearby native villages. Failing that, he’ll look at raw imagery to see if he can identify any in the direction the boy had pointed.

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#89 Post by dongriffiths »

Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. If that box is a sort of invitation we shouldn't need to find the kid, he and his people will be looking for us leaving town.

Perhaps we just need to head out in the general direction of the thing on the map and they'll contact us. So long as we don't have any of the local townies with us.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by Thumper »

Great point, Alfonse

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Hvalreki »

Onreon

Feb 12 2745 OER

Our intrepid travellers spend the morning prepping for a camping trip. You can purchase anything in book 3 standard prices up to local tech level 8. Please update your credits & character sheets accordingly.

With no beasts of burden to be found renting a truck seems to be the only option.
Onreon's wildlife consists mainly of birds, fish, insects and small mammals. The lack of species variety is considered by some as evidence that Onreon was engineered. Tuskers were introduced and have run roughshod over the local competition. Farm raised Tuskers are generally safe to be around but once they escape into the wild they become feral and can be quite dangerous.
The roadmap shows a relative straight run from the city to the mountains with some farmsteads along the way. There are fuel and rest areas every 300 KM or so. Vehicle range is listed at 500 KM of normal driving.

Purchasing a hunting license at the local police station is straightforward affair. Only Rifle, Shotgun, Revolver, Knife/Blade may be registered. Weapons must be reviewed at the same station in 30 days with heavy penalties for failing to do so.

The group with Rando behind the wheel (ATV rated), gear loaded, pulls out onto the road heading out of the city.

Character Actions?

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by Thumper »

Dmitri will register his weapons and get his hunting license. He’ll rent a locker at the spaceport to store his ugly space suit and clothing he won’t need in the sticks.

Having picked up a tent, cold light lantern, IR Goggles and a few outdoor items, Dmitri will try to nap in the back so he can be prepared to set up camp tonight and stand Mid-watch.
Last edited by Thumper on Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#93 Post by dongriffiths »

Alphonse recharges his taser and registers it along with his revolver and sword with the authorities.

He then buys a tent, sleeping bag, filter/breather mask, cold light lantern and 4 personal survival kits, giving one to each of his companions as he boards the truck.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by Tamerlaine »

Sam is irked. "I sure ain't hunting nothing, boys. But I'm paying for a license just so I don't get into trouble down the line if I have to use my guns."

She rents a locker for her Vacc and protective suit before registering her revolver and shotgun and shelling up 50 cred for a hunting license.

"I don't have a tent," Sam mutters as she clambers into the ATV. "Someone's sharing their tent and I cannot stress enough that there will be no 'accidental' spooning or cuddling of any type or body parts will be severed, capische?"

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#95 Post by dongriffiths »

"Are we all loaded up?"

"Let's get moving, no point wasting daylight."

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by Thumper »

No worries, Sam...you're cute...just not pretty enough for that.

Load 'em up and truck 'em!!

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by Hvalreki »

Onreon

Feb 12 2745 OER

Rando puts on a set of mirrored sunglasses and stops the truck, turning around in his seat to address the party.

"So where are we headed?"

Character Actions?

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Tamerlaine »

Rifling through her bag, Sam looks at everyone. "Well, I think we should take the most traveled route to this settlement Last Chance, the place closest to the area indicated on the artifact. From there we see how far the ATV can go from Last Chance. Walk in on foot the rest of the way if we have to, you know...for tuskers." The last she gives both a wry smile and an eyeroll.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by Thumper »

Sam has it right. How long to get to last Chance? If we see indications of natives, we can stop and try to make peaceful contact.

dongriffiths
Guide
Guide

#100 Post by dongriffiths »

Yes, head along the main road but keep to a reasonably slow pace for the first few hours to give the locals a chance to make contact.

Alphonse will scan the countryside as they go, looking for signs of the locals.

Return to “Space 1977 (Classic Traveller)”