Scenario Simulator (All the Rules!)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Scenario Simulator (All the Rules!)

#141 Post by ffilz »

I opened a recruiting thread for Cold Iron. I hope some folks will find it worthwhile to give it a try.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#142 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, looks like we have three games rolling. Is the idea more fun to think about than to actually try? Or do we just not have enough folks offering to run things that people want to play?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Pulpatoon »

It is a reasonable bandwidth issue. I don't think the intention was ever to run thirty games at the same time. Three or four is probably about the right number to have up at any given point.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Rex »

I agree, I don't think we ever had a chance to run everything at once. As some wrap up I hope that some more will start up.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I was partially waiting to get the scenario settled, which it is now, as a format. (So I need to get my own scenario planned out. No time to think about it presently though. )

And I need another couple of players for the Black Hack 2e but didn't want to clog the LFP thread up.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#146 Post by tibbius »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:04 pm And I need another couple of players for the Black Hack 2e but didn't want to clog the LFP thread up.
I'll happily get in on that.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#147 Post by tibbius »

ohey, would anyone else be interested in trying Cairn?
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by ffilz »

tibbius wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:07 am ohey, would anyone else be interested in trying Cairn?
Tell me a bit about it. I should try one or two systems that I haven't played before.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#149 Post by tibbius »

https://cairnrpg.com/cairn-srd/ has the all of it.
Cairn SRD wrote:Cairn is an adventure game for one facilitator (the Warden) and at least one other player. Players act as hardened adventurers exploring a dark & mysterious Wood filled with strange folk, hidden treasure, and unspeakable monstrosities. ...

Abilities

Each of the three abilities are used in different circumstances (see saves, below).

Strength (STR): Used for saves requiring physical power, like lifting gates, bending bars, resisting poison, etc.

Dexterity (DEX): Used for saves requiring poise, speed, and reflexes like dodging, climbing, sneaking, balancing, etc.

Willpower (WIL): Used for saves to persuade, deceive, interrogate, intimidate, charm, provoke, manipulate spells, etc.
Saves

A save is a roll to avoid bad outcomes from risky choices and circumstances. PCs roll a d20 for an appropriate ability score. If they roll equal to or under that ability score, they pass. Otherwise, they fail. A 1 is always a success, and a 20 is always a failure.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#150 Post by ffilz »

tibbius wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:43 am https://cairnrpg.com/cairn-srd/ has the all of it.
Cairn SRD wrote:Cairn is an adventure game for one facilitator (the Warden) and at least one other player. Players act as hardened adventurers exploring a dark & mysterious Wood filled with strange folk, hidden treasure, and unspeakable monstrosities. ...

Abilities

Each of the three abilities are used in different circumstances (see saves, below).

Strength (STR): Used for saves requiring physical power, like lifting gates, bending bars, resisting poison, etc.

Dexterity (DEX): Used for saves requiring poise, speed, and reflexes like dodging, climbing, sneaking, balancing, etc.

Willpower (WIL): Used for saves to persuade, deceive, interrogate, intimidate, charm, provoke, manipulate spells, etc.
Saves

A save is a roll to avoid bad outcomes from risky choices and circumstances. PCs roll a d20 for an appropriate ability score. If they roll equal to or under that ability score, they pass. Otherwise, they fail. A 1 is always a success, and a 20 is always a failure.
How do the traits come into play for PCs? Are they just guidelines for role play? Seems like a bunch to roll during chargen.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#151 Post by tibbius »

ffilz wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:16 am How do the traits come into play for PCs? Are they just guidelines for role play? Seems like a bunch to roll during chargen.
Yes, they are roleplay guides and (imo) optional flair - which may add interest for some, or aggravate others.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Pulpatoon »

Cairn is derived from Maze Rats, isn't it? I'd be up for trying it!

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#153 Post by ffilz »

Pulpatoon wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:53 am Cairn is derived from Maze Rats, isn't it? I'd be up for trying it!
It sounds like it's worth a try, so sign me up also.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#154 Post by dmw71 »

tibbius wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:07 am ohey, would anyone else be interested in trying Cairn?
A sub-forum for Cairn has been created.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#155 Post by dmw71 »

I don’t know if this will spark any interest in the game, but I just discovered that Troll Lord Games is giving away free copies of the 7th (most recent?) printing their Castles & Crusades game:

Players Handbook (7th Pr) -- FREE -- Digital

They might have just released an 8th printing (I don’t follow the game so I’m not familiar with it), but getting a free set of rules (even if now it’s slightly outdated) is pretty awesome!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Rex »

Thanks Dave!

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Norjax »

Thanks for the notice, Dave. I own the 4th printing and will compare the two.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by tibbius »

I would quite like to playtest my Boring Hack of The Black Hack.

Premise: Last Ones Left Alive / Only Humans Who Survive. A bleak game set in a world where the Fey have returned for vengeance. You are members of the resistance, the few of the surviving humans who dare to strike back against the cruel whimsies of the oppressive Lords. Your first mission is a prison break - you each have family or a friend who is trapped in one of the Lords' Work Study Programs.
Sample of Game Play wrote:It's raining. The water drips through the broken glass roof of the aviary, soaking Saranac and Lysandra as they watch a hummingbird try to shake the rain from its wings, under the shelter of a leafy branch. The Lords are coming. There is no exit. Saranac fingers the wyvern stuck in his waistband, hesitantly pulls it out. He's a little bit scared to use the weapon; sometimes they unleash their fiery breath on the wielder, rather than the target.

Abruptly, a third human bursts into the area. Arvur. He's holding a dragon, one of the Lords' long guns. "I got it from a Lord," he gasps. "Cut her throat. Dropped on her from the roof. She never saw me." He passes the weapon to Saranac, who hands his wyvern off to Lysandra. Lysandra puts away the sword she's been absentmindedly gripping, takes the gun.

The Lords announce their arrival with a blast of gunfire that shatters the etched glass wall of the aviary. Flying shards strike Lysandra and Arvur, knocking them onto their faces. Saranac pivots to face the onslaught, leveling the dragon and squeezing the trigger ...
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Marullus »

With apologies, I'm coming to this late and I haven't read all eight pages of the discussion.

I'm happy to help elucidate the differences in certain games and how they would handle a scenario. If people then want to test-run the scenario, I can commit to a single scene for each (though perhaps one at a time, for bandwidth).

...where do I find the scenario?

Also, to make sure I understand:
* A thread to introduce the game to those unfamiliar
* A thread to introduce the game systems used in this specific scenario
* Are we developing consistent pre-gen characters, or are players immersing in individual character creation for each game?
* Run an instance of the scenario using the game

...is that the process?

Of the games with no posts yet, I can do:
* Blades in the Dark
* Burning Wheel
* Bushido
* Shadowdark
* Torchbearer

...please advise. :)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#160 Post by ffilz »

I'd definitely be interested in taking Burning Wheel or Torchbearer for a spin. I guess having Blades in the Dark and having heard about it, I'd for for that also. I'm already playing Bushido, but there were some folks interested and another player would help I would go for that (I could also help coach players rather than actually play). I don't know Shadowdark so I'm not sure about that one...

Return to “Looking for players or games”