Scenario Simulator (All the Rules!)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Scenario Simulator (All the Rules!)

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Inspired by a discussion about the Castles & Crusades RPG (and other non-D&D equivalents, here), an idea was floated where a single scenario -- involving both role-playing and combat -- could be drafted, and any/all rule set people are interested in could be used to play through this same scenario.

The purpose is, to try different games, in a somewhat controlled simulation, to potentially discover new rules. Rules that could potentially be ported back into D&D as a house rule... or, you just play the new game you discovered and enjoyed by itself.

All of this will be handled/managed under a single new game forum -- Scenario Simulator (All the Rules!) -- with each different rule set being organized in its own "private" sub-forum. I have already set up sub-forums for 19 different non-D&D rule sets (and five different D&D editions) so far, but more can easily be added by request.

This is still a new idea so the exact details on how this will all work are still kind of undecided, but, from an organizational standpoint, the main forum/sub-forum structure should work nicely.

At this point, we will be looking for people interested in running/playing in the different games, so express your interest here in this topic. Maybe specify the game or games you're interested in, as well as whether you're interested in just playing in the game, or willing to run it.

We'll also need to create the "scenario" all the games will be using. Ideas in this regard are also welcomed!

Let's go!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Scenario Simulator (All the Rules!)

#2 Post by Rex »

I am in. I can run HarnMaster if anyone is interested in giving it a try. Also Top Secret SI (from the 80's), Holmes Basic, 1e, or 2e D&D.I have played in a lot more but those are the ones I am most familiar with.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm in but not likely the best bet for typing up the scenario.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:57 pm I can run HarnMaster if anyone is interested in giving it a try.
Created a sub-forum for this.
Rex wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:57 pmHolmes Basic, 1e, or 2e D&D.
I do have sub-forums for both 1e and 2e individually, but didn't break out "basic" D&D into its different versions (BX, BECMI, Holmes, etc...); instead, I just created a single "Basic" sub-forum. Are the rules different enough between these versions to warrant individual sub-forums for each? It's no problem.

Rex wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:57 pmAlso Top Secret SI (from the 80's)
I did not include any sci-fi or zombie apocalypse or current day spy games (at this time) only because it might be more difficult or challenging to create a single, shared scenario that would apply to these non-fantasy genres.

This is just a playground, though. If we want different scenarios for other genres -- that's fine! I will wait to create any forums for these non-fantasy games until enough interest has been generated for them.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I can run 2e or 1e thats about the extent of my gaming experience with the most years dedicated to it. Other than that I'm mostly new to most of the other options we have in the simulator.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

As for the scenario... maybe it could be something as simple as a negotiation going wrong.

The group (maybe just consisting of just simple/base characters?) is tasked with negotiating... something? The release of a prisoner, perhaps? This will test the social interaction rules.

If the negotiation is successful, maybe a rogue group could attempt to ambush the party after the successful negotiation?

This could generic scenario could be expanded to include more than just the fantasy setting.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Really diving in and learning the rules well enough to run a game is the objective of this whole experiment in my mind, so I would be willing to run any of the non-D&D games that I own or have access to the rules.

If people want to play something, I can (try to) run it. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Pulpatoon »

I love the idea of this as an experiment in comparative gaming!

I'd be up for running Knave (or Maze Rats or Into the Odd).

I haven't run TinyDungeons 2e before, but I've run other Tiny D6 games, and have a copy of TD2.

Oh! and Tunnel Goons! (Does Nate Treme still play on these boards? If so, he should obviously be the one to run this.)

And, of course, I want to play in just about all of these.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Pulpatoon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:30 pm I love the idea of this as an experiment in comparative gaming!
And, of course, I want to play in just about all of these.
Awesome! This is exactly the type of reaction I was hoping for.

I have always been a D&D-exclusive player; never even dabbling with anything else (except Pathfinder, which isn't that much of a stretch).

I've been suffering a bit of an identity crisis lately because I can't pick a favorite edition.

I like how one edition handles this situation, but I prefer how a different edition handles a different situation.

I've reached the point where I'm finally willing to look outside of D&D. Not to jump ship and switch which game I play outright (most likely), but to find rules from other games that really resonate with me that I can scrape and bring back into D&D.

Or even create my own clone of D&D with what I think are the best mechanics to resolve different aspects of gameplay.

Plus, it will be great to finally (finally!) start looking at and using all these different sets of rules that I've purchased over the years but completely neglected. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

I have run or played in Black Hack and Tiny Dungeons. I have Knave but haven't played it. As far as Basic D&D goes Holmes was the original and in some ways it is closer to 1e (no race as class for example). I am willing to give anything a try.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Leitz »

Hmm...it seems like the scenario needs to have a combat, with at least spotting and surprise options in place. Maybe disengagement/fleeing as an option. Dialogue? Something interpersonal to push those sorts of actions?

What are you thinking about scenario? I might be able to help with that, if I know the direction you're going.

When I ran F2F games, I had a small village mapped, with a simple line map of the larger area. In the course of a decade I used the same location in eleven different game systems, with each subsequent game being affected by what happened before. Mostly due to laziness on my part; why create a bunch of worlds that don't get used?

Might want to add something like Basic Role-Playing (BRP; the parent of RuneQuest, CoC, Pendragon, etc), Cepheus Engine/Traveller, 7th Sea (R&K version; the d20 is just D&D), and maybe the actual Star Wars? I have it but never played it. Boot Hill or Savage Worlds?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:36 pm Hmm...it seems like the scenario needs to have a combat, with at least spotting and surprise options in place. Maybe disengagement/fleeing as an option. Dialogue? Something interpersonal to push those sorts of actions?

What are you thinking about scenario? I might be able to help with that, if I know the direction you're going.
I shared the possibility of a negotiation. Where dialogue/discussion is the objective... which can devolve into combat if unsuccessful, or lead to disgruntled parties unhappy with the results of the negotiating ambushing the group afterward in order to also guarantee the combat rules be tested.

But, really, anything is possible. And I'm not sure the scenario absolutely has to be identical for every single game; especially when the games are likely to be run by different people. Maybe the "scenario," whatever it will be, will have guidelines or a template that all games will need to adhere to (like a tournament module).
A1.jpg
A1.jpg (161.93 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
This would obviously be on a much smaller scale, but perhaps a template of objectives could be hashed out that each game would need to include:
  1. surprise
  2. combat/initiative
    * melee & ranged
    * spellcasting
  3. social interactions
    * deception, intimidation, persuasion
  4. other situations/scenarios (trap resolution, etc...)
Leitz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:36 pm Might want to add something like Basic Role-Playing (BRP; the parent of RuneQuest, CoC, Pendragon, etc), Cepheus Engine/Traveller, 7th Sea (R&K version; the d20 is just D&D), and maybe the actual Star Wars? I have it but never played it. Boot Hill or Savage Worlds?
I created a sub-forum for Basic Role-Playing, and am happy to create sub-forums for any game there is an interest in.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Leitz »

Maybe add a "Scenario" thread, and a "Scenario: Q&A" thread. The former is just the scenario, with updates made in place by whomever is writing it, and the latter is where everyone else asks questions and provides the usual raucous discussion.

Addendum: I think a simple scenario could be written loosely enough that each DM could then add flavor. My brain is already trying this, by the way.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:54 pm I created a sub-forum for Basic Role-Playing, and am happy to create sub-forums for any game there is an interest in.
I also created sub-forums for Dungeon World and Dungeon Crawl Classics.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

A template of objectives sounds good, some flexibility is going to be needed to accommodate both the DM's style and the system itself. HarnMaster's skill systems is a descendant of the original RuneQuest's skill system, but it's combat system is not. I have played BRP, RuneQuest, and CoC too.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Leitz »

There are multiple things to consider in the scenario design. Not just game mechanics, but genre (fantasy, sci-fi, etc) and level. The latter might best be dealt with by the DM, but the scenario draft needs to be open enough to allow a variety of PC capabilities.

We have some Mini6/D6 and Hero system folks here too.

If you like, and if you don't mind starting small, I could draft up a scenario description and we can see if it grows.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:56 pm Maybe add a "Scenario" thread, and a "Scenario: Q&A" thread. The former is just the scenario, with updates made in place by whomever is writing it, and the latter is where everyone else asks questions and provides the usual raucous discussion.
Done.

There might be permission issues before people will be able to start posting in the game, so let me know if you do have any issues. If so, I will just need to add all interested parties into the group created for this game... in which case, just drop a response that you want to be added (this permission should then be inherited by all the sub-forums as well so this will hopefully just be a one-time thing, per user).
Leitz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:56 pmAddendum: I think a simple scenario could be written loosely enough that each DM could then add flavor. My brain is already trying this, by the way.
Love it!
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:04 pmIf you like, and if you don't mind starting small, I could draft up a scenario description and we can see if it grows.
I think "small" is the ideal in this endeavor. In my mind, the goal here is not to create 30 different long-running campaigns. Instead, present a scenario that is just large enough to get a feel for how the different games and sets of rules handle the common scenarios that a group will run into during a typical game session.

Do we consider:
  • All the various types of spell casters in fantasy games?
  • Low level? High level? Somewhere in the middle?
I don't know?

A perfect scenario in my mind would be short and sweet, and vague or general enough that it can be used across genres.
Leitz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:04 pm We have some Mini6/D6 and Hero system folks here too.
Throw a specific rule set/edition at me and I'll create a forum for it. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:00 pm A template of objectives sounds good, some flexibility is going to be needed to accommodate both the DM's style and the system itself.
Agreed!

Rex wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:00 pmHarnMaster's skill systems is a descendant of the original RuneQuest's skill system, but it's combat system is not. I have played BRP, RuneQuest, and CoC too.
Creating a sub-forum for RuneQuest.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

I would like to be added Dave.