Castles & Crusades "C&C"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Castles & Crusades "C&C"

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

So seeing the revival of another topic I think I've mentioned this in the past in the "Interest Catch-all what would you like to play" thread/topic. But I have had a pretty big interest in playing C&C but never knew anyone in person that has any books or knowledge of the game. I had or maybe still have some very basic pdf versions of the PHB though I have no idea what version at the time of typing this is most current version.

So my main subject or question is do we have any others on this forum/in this community that knows C&C and might possibly be able to run a game in that system?

Are there any really big hangups to be forewarned about with C&C? How different is it from old school D&D & Newer D&D? Is it at all similar to Swords & Sorcery?

Are any others out there interested in actually playing C&C?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Castles & Crusades "C&C"

#2 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:30 pm So my main subject or question is do we have any others on this forum/in this community that knows C&C and might possibly be able to run a game in that system?
Are any others out there interested in actually playing C&C?
Yet another game I own, but have never bothered to actually read or use.
C&C.jpg
C&C.jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 427 times

I have historically been adamantly opposed to trying anything non-D&D, which is a stance I now regret.

I can't say what is in each, but I've still managed to accumulate something from 40+ non-D&D games (including the above C&C)... that have been largely ignored.

My SnagIt is being stupid and not capturing a scrolling window, but these are the games I own at least something for:
  1. ACKS
  2. Basic Role-Playing
  3. Burning Wheel
  4. Call of Cthulhu
  5. Castles & Crusades
  6. Chivalry and Sorcery
  7. Dragon Age
  8. Dungeon Crawl Classics
  9. Dungeon World
  10. Electric Bastionland
  11. FATE
  12. Five Torches Deep
  13. Game of Thrones
  14. GURPS
  15. HackMaster
  16. Harn
  17. Index Card RPG
  18. Into the Odd
  19. Into the Unknown
  20. Ironsworn
  21. Knave
  22. Lamentations of the Flame Princess
  23. Low Fantasy Gaming
  24. Maze Rats
  25. Mazes & Minotaurs
  26. Mork Borg
  27. Myth & Magic
  28. Mythras
  29. Numenera
  30. Old School Hack (thanks, tibbius)
  31. Pathfinder
  32. Pendragon
  33. Red Markets
  34. RuneQuest
  35. Shadowdark
  36. Talislanta
  37. Ten Candles
  38. Top Secret NWO
  39. Torchbearer
  40. Traveller
  41. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
  42. Zweilhander

I'd be open to trying any of them at this point. Ideally for even just a mini-session where characters will be created and a group is run through at least one combat and one social encounter... just to see how these other games handle those situations.

I think it's extremely unlikely that I will ever fully switch from D&D as my core game, but hopefully gaining exposure to other games will provide useful ideas/mechanics that could be used in D&D.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'd be open to trying any of them at this point. Ideally for even just a mini-session where characters will be created and a group is run through at least one combat and one social encounter... just to see how these other games handle those situations.

I think it's extremely unlikely that I will ever fully switch from D&D as my core game, but hopefully gaining exposure to other games will provide useful ideas/mechanics that could be used in D&D.
I'm game for that and that is partially my intention I like taking some alternative rules and mechanics and applying them as a "house rule". But yes a new system just a simple as I'll call it "demo" in the manner you suggest a social encounter and combat encounter I am all for "dipping my toe in the water" in that manner.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

I am in for a dip. I am willing to see how it goes. Like Dave I buy and look at lots of games mainly just to see how they handle things differently for there potential use as house rules. Every time we try something new in my FTF games we end up back using HarnMaster or D&D 5E, with an occasional house ruled Holmes Basic D&D mixed in depending on who is DMing.

Sorry for the side track Ed but,

Perhaps a character generation, combat, and social interaction game would be a good way to judge interest in me running a HarnMaster game here.

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Oh, I've had interest in C&C for many years now. Just never found anyone to run a game. Not wishing to run a game and play solo. But I did help a guy out years ago with creating his own custom rules for C&C to an extent. He would hit me up when he was trying to see if something was right or sounded good. I recall talking through several custom subraces he was making for the game system. We were going to run a game of it but then RL happened. I haven't heard much from the guy since the last 2 times he had to relocate due to landlords selling the place he was living in.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:30 pm Ideally for even just a mini-session where characters will be created and a group is run through at least one combat and one social encounter... just to see how these other games handle those situations.
Oh! I just had an idea.
Shocking, I know.
Okay, thoughts on this:

I can create a new game forum.
Inside the forum, I/someone will create a single scenario that will require both social interaction and combat.

Then...

We can run any or every game system against the same scenario to truly be able to compare how the different systems resolve it.

Thoughts?
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

That sounds like an interesting idea Dave.... now who is a good writer?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

That sounds very interesting to me. You could put up a looking for players/DM's and once we got a few people we could work on the scenario in forum as a group. Then we could switch out DM's as we try different systems.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:17 pm That sounds very interesting to me. You could put up a looking for players/DM's and once we got a few people we could work on the scenario in forum as a group. Then we could switch out DM's as we try different systems.
Working on this now.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:37 pm Working on this now.
Here: Scenario Simulator (All the Rules!)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “General RPG discussion”