Looking to Join 5e Game!

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Looking to Join 5e Game!

#21 Post by sastaz »

Marullus wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:22 pm
Sastaz, I am curious your feelings as a Swede? I appreciated that Sveiland was published from Norway and more faithfully inspired than an American concoction...
I think the creators are from Turkey? I mean looking at their names, and also I seem to remember they mentioned that in the comments on the DriveThru-page. The game seem to hit very close to the tales we read here. The gods and monsters according to the vikings were pretty "high fantasy" out of the box, so I think the setting would work great. It seems more "high" that let's say HBO Vikings, more like the PCs actually participated in the stories and legends themselves. Which is cool :)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Stirling »

Italians I think produced Ragnarok. It looks very good and quite a Table Top epic to play through.

Not seen Sveiland. I think both need a creative GM and plenty of work producing maps and visuals.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

I think the creators are from Turkey?
I would have sworn they said they were Norwegian, but I went back and looked at their bios on the Kickstarter and they say Ankara. :shock:
The game seem to hit very close to the tales we read here.
I appreciate the assessment! :D

...this is already giving me the impetus to delve into the books on my shelf, which I appreciate.

It really puts in the work to reskin basic D&D classes to fit the cultural theme, which is tremendously interesting. Here's the Kickstarter pitch if you want a synopsis.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:22 am If you are patient until the New Year, then Hedgeknight might be accepting new players into his Baldur's Gate setting?
I appreciate the plug, Spearmint. :)
However, I am moving away from 5E once we wrap up some scenarios in Baldur's Gate. Like Dave said, it's just too much for me.
Winter is coming...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

Thanks all for the interest - I'll open a 5E game to explore Sveilland, a Norse setting.
Svilland is a Norse Mythology inspired D&D 5E campaign setting; it is designed to bring the valour, brutality and drama from Norse tales to your roleplaying games. The game is compatible with 5E, but its theme and dynamics are very different than your usual high fantasy game. Sure, there is magic in this realm, plenty of it even. Yet, it is given in a way that reflects omens, spirits, runes and Norse deities with their true forms in the mythology. In Svilland you will learn the true meaning of blood, magic, raids, and wrath of the gods.

This will be a game with dark and horror themes, an adventure set in the cold, harsh lands of the north with literal struggle between the forces of life and death. The adventure adds a corruption mechanic called Hel points to emphasize this struggle.

I will ask that you make a 1st level character using the rules in the Svilland Campaign Setting book. and the standard Player's Handbook. The setting is highly modified and tremendously thematic, so most other D&D material won't apply. You'll need a copy of the Campaign Setting book, but if that's a hardship please PM me. There's a wealth of custom options in this book - I'd like to playtest this material, so I'll set you fairly free within it to see what elements you gravitate to.

We'll accept 4 to 6 players. I'm looking primarily at running Freya's Tears, so please don't read that one. (We might modify based on the direction of play.)

I intend a slow, immersive playstyle. I will try to commit to a major story beat post as DM once a week, with 1-3 posts a week from players as your roleplay and interact with each other within the beat. I'm looking for players to be narrative and to color freely within the theme with your posts (which is my preferred DM style).

Please post here for interest. I'll request the forum be opened and once it is, I'll post some summaries of the changes the setting provides and what the start-points will be for the story. (Roughly, you'll be 1st level characters who are young folks in villages at the foot of the mountains and the edge of civilization who are coming to testing themselves at the Day of the Hunt festival to be proven worthy of joining the warbands of the region against the threats of the untamed wilderness beyond.)

You can have a few weeks time to explore the book, make characters, and for me to set up the forum, and I'll hope to launch by mid-October.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

I am in if you will have me.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Darithe »

"Better to fight and fall than to live without hope."
Volsunga

I received the Svilland book as a birthday present and I am quite interested.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Stirling »

I note the new forum is up.

Once I get a Svilland Setting book I will take a look at what character classes are in or out, tweaked.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

Could you add the Campaign ID number to your Character Creation thread.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

Lucky number! We are campaign 1000!
:)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

We are campaign 1000!

Wow, that is amazing and something the forum should celebrate, a thousand games starting up in what, thirteen years.

Surely not that many?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Enoch »

I am interested. A lot of interesting things in that book!
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

We cannot yet reply in the forum proper.

I am considering a Barbarian with berserker archtype.

Also edited with this question? Are you using the Human race +1 to all abilities or the Variant rule (preferred) gaining an extra skill and a starting feat.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Enoch »

I suspect we're not using either: if we want to play humans we have to use the ones in this book. (There is one human option that gets a free feat at 1st.)

I'm leaning toward either a local Seidr or an Oath to Freyja Alle from the town with the temple.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Stirling »

Playing Ralfwin, class unknown but some good stats.

Ralfwin ability scores [4d6c1]=10[4d6c1]=10[4d6c1]=17[4d6c1]=17[4d6c1]=10[4d6c1]=12

Reading through the Svilland Setting, the Dvergar and half-Jotunn are not so widespread as a race. As I consider things, would picking one of these cause too many problematic encounters. You know, not being welcomed in the village or such like.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

Part of being demihuman would be wonder/suspicion in human lands. But it is a narrative element not an impediment to play.

Yep, humans should choose from the human variant races listed in the source book and referenced in the forum.

I will go open the forum now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

We have confirmation from Enoch, Rex, Spearmint, Stirling, Darithe, and a new player.

That's a six person cap... I'm inclined to try to hold to that.
Sastaz and Scott308 have access to the forum and are back-ups. If someone else declines, you're welcome to join in, or we may yet fit you based on the way this evolves.

Return to “Looking for players or games”