Ironguard: Taverns and Hostelries thread.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ironguard: Taverns and Hostelries thread.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This thread is for your character to use when stating in Ironguard or needing liquid refreshment, food or just a good fisticuffs or wenching.

Please indicate which tavern, (outlined in the Ironguard setting thread) that you attend.

Taverns info:

Peregrine Falcon Tavern.

The tavern is a large stone detached property opposite the Old Market. It has a couple of bar areas and runs a fine rural carvery, with speciality dishes of pheasants, rabbit and other game meats.

It also has a private members room and hosts a faction of the local rangers corps.

The tavern is run by Madeleine Laramie, a middle aged, raven haired woman. She manages the tavern in the absence of her husband. When questioned about his whereabouts she simply says he is 'away on business'. Affable and charming she is also authoritive and commands respect. The actual bar is run by Grignon a half-orc warrior retired from arena fighting. Common in the tavern, roosting in the rafters are several birds of prey which give the tavern it's name. The wooden sign outside pictures a hooded falcon perched on a gauntleted arm one side and a spread eagled winged hawk about to pounce from the clouds on the reverse.

The Last Dance:
Signpost: a dwarf with a noose around his neck balancing on an overturned barrel,

Warehouse quarters. Run by the Costners' clan. Ness Costner is rumoured to be a backstreet black market entrepreneur.

The Royal Halberdiers
Sign post of crossed weapons by a Keep. The
tavern is close to the Keep main gate and is commonly known as 'the Royal'. A rough house of mercenary types. Run by Ardvark.

Desert Orchid
Signpost. Flower with purple blossoms and vines growing in a sandy environment.

Not so much a tavern as a higher class hotel with pianist and crooners entertaining the bourgeois in the noble district.

Red Dragon
Signpost. A red dragon obviously.
In the markets area. Had several tenant landlords. Most recent a halfling family trying to make good.

The Sphinx and Naga.
Signpost. A lion faced winged Sphinx sitting with his paws on top of a snake like creature made of bones with a reptilian skull that drools venom.

Based in the residential district close to the Collegiate. Run by a clan of dwarves who migrated from the Moon Peaks. Not much is known of them, they seem to have adopted untraditional practices and beliefs at odds to common MoradinIan orthodoxy.

Attachments
Inside the Red Dragon Tavern
Inside the Red Dragon Tavern
DeanSpencer-Tavern-drivethrurpg.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 589 times
Last edited by Spearmint on Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ironguard: Taverns and Hostelries thread.

#2 Post by Quonundrum »

Desert Orchid
May 29th 1066

Moriartus leads Two-Birds to the high class inn, pausing outside the entrance first to make a confession. "This is the main reason I hired you for this trip ... to relax! After that close scrape with those scarabs, I thought you could use some time away from the barracks. Your room and meals are on me, and while we're in town you are free to do as you please." He then ushers her inside and inquires about accommodations for three nights.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by gurusql »

Red Dragon
May 29th 1066

Cadeweed will attempt to get a private room for three nights in the Red Dragon once he hears that it is run some halflings. His hope is to get some real halfling type food, heavy on the vegetable and grains.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Red Dragon
May 29th 1066

Sven
slaps his long time pal on the shoulder as they walk into the tavern.

“Care to split a room again, Orgoth? I have grown quite accustomed to your rhythmic snoring by now.”

Once they have ordered drink and sup, the young mage immediately scours the room for intrigue or mystery, listening for any new gossip he can get while inside these walls.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by scottjen »

Red Dragon
May 29
Fydmar
He will get a room for 1 night. And will hang out with his fellow travelers that night enjoying what the tavern has to offer. (not sure what $ to deduct)

Will be checking out The Sphinx and Naga tomorrow night.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Red Dragon
May 29

"I am in need of a place for the night maybe more. Some food and drink perhaps included please. Depending on the cost mind ya."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal joins most of his friends in the Red Dragon, gets a room for one night, beer and a dish of whatever hearty is available.

"Well. It wasn't a bad trip. Let's relax fer tedeh whale aur leeder caurts Two-Berds in the classie tavern... He, he, he." Jokes the ranger.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

Desert Orchid Hotel

The plush interior, of grand walnut panels and carved reception desk. The entrance door has a unique rotating door of frosted glass panes. Above a candelabra of rosy quartz bulbs shed flickering pastel lights. The appearance is grand and the staff likewise adorned in tailored livery.

Single rooms can be taken for you both and your luggage is carried to your rooms by porters.

"We have a vault Sir for more delicate items of a business or private nature." the receptionist says.

Left to her own devices, save perhaps group soirees in the evening, she will busy herself with usual ladies stuff. (Getting her hair done, visiting the Silvanus shrine, going to a show and crafting the Weirwood quaterstaff).

I will roll any random patrons, gossip, encounters.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Yes I prefer splitting a room Sven."

He wanders around checking things out.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

Red Dragon

Most of the group head towards the markets. Sven taking Smokie into the city on a tight leash and permit to book him into the Kennels and Bestiary. He rejoins the group in the hospitable halfling run hostelry.

Dougal, Durgo, Fydmar, Cadeweed, Orgoth, Amos & Sven settle at a table over a few beers and brunch. Accommodation sorted for the evening,

just deduct a suitable amount to cover your upkeep.

The food is rustic but plenty of Tallfellow or Stout cultural delicacies abound. Pastries, pies, sweets and savouries. The staff are mostly halfling though the long bar also has a high bar for the taller races to lean upon. Cask ales seem the order of the day.

As far as patrons go, the crowd is mixed. This close to the market there is an open door practically as customers come and go about their affairs. It is noisy, mostly with good natured banter and folk shouting orders above the crowd. Listening in to local gossip, adding your own to the rumour mill you hear news from the east, of Duchy skirmishes in the frontier, poor weather freezing much of the spring harvest, papers for a new opencast mine being permitted on gnome farmlands.

Closer to home and focusing on the Barrow Moor region, you hear of a disappearances. A local boy to Helix wandering over the ridge and far away with a warg in tow. "Warg ate him. Never trust a wild animal", one offers."Met a basilisk and turned to stone, parents recovered the body and stuck him in the garden. Built a shrine over him, covered in pigeon shit now" laments another.
"Cover story, fled to Bogtown with his goblin girlfriend."

It is usual banter, no one really seems to know but you do spot a poster on a wall asking if folk have seen the youth named Fapp Bublu.

There are also two men inspecting several daggers at a table. One sticks the points in the table and looks at the carved bone hilts, the other balances one on the tip of his finger.

By the hearth a man sits, four upturned cups on the table before him and a stack of shiny coins.

After your day travel, there is as much activity as you want.

actions anyone

Attachments
Inside the Red Dragon tavern
Inside the Red Dragon tavern
600_469945825.jpeg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 516 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven returns from the stables quickly, sadly, without his usual sidekick Smokie in tow. He does carry a new soft cloth covered satchel that he appears to have purchased recently.

After settling in with his friends, he looks over the barroom, reading closer the poster about a halfling named Fapp he heard about in Helix. He inquirers where to find those who posted the note. Concerned kinsfolk, he assumes.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

-12gp for three nights. I figure good rooms are a bit more expensive than the Premier accommodations in Helix.

He thanks the receptionist and after checking into his room he returns to relax, enjoy the music, and observe the other patrons. He first inquires about the local venues ... "Excuse me, do you know of any local historical museums or dealers of antiquities?"

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
The rumor mill here seems like who can tell a more outlandish tale. Goblin girlfriend? Who would ever believe that?
Surreptitiously, he keeps an eye on the men playing with the daggers.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth just glares at Fydmar after his goblin comment.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Deducts 3gp for the night, food and drinks (?).

"This cud be ganging aut of aur weh but, shuldna we help faind the puir lad?" He ignores the games offered at the different tables and concentrates on the food and drink.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Karaunios wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:14 pm Dougal

Deducts 3gp for the night, food and drinks (?).

"This cud be ganging aut of aur weh but, shuldna we help faind the puir lad?" He ignores the games offered at the different tables and concentrates on the food and drink.
Sven lowers his voice.

“The poor lad is likely dead. I heard about this Fapp back in Helix. Didn’t sound like it ended very well for him.”

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"That boy could have been me. Thankfully I got my head on straight and mind my own business and listened to my parents. I'm glad I signed on with you lot too.
I can learn a bunch with you all. My father told me to never start a fight you can't win.

Durgo deducts 3 gp for 3 nights stay Ale and food included?
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Hm... Puir lad. After sae much tame then it's suirly dehd."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

The Red Dragon

May 29th 1066.

Evening.

The tavern is in full flow during the busy market afternoons but by early evening as merchants put away their wares and barrows are carted back to warehouses and homes, the outside streets quiet.

Sven pockets a poster, the black and white portrait fading, almost as much as the hopes of the smiling visage being seen again. The boy local to Helix, the concerned parents supply the kitchen of the Foul Pheasant with food stocks.

"He was last seen departing the Mercenary Guild but alone into the woods not with a group. Fascinated by stories of the wilderness. There is a reward I understand, for information." the barkeep says. "He had a companion friend, the butcher's apprentice, huge broad shouldered fellow. But he joined that outfit. Perhaps the missing lad felt he didn't quite measure up and struck out for himself?"

You can chat a bit about Helix, festivals and places. The reward of 50gp seems quite a sum (at least for low level characters). He gives you an extra flyer asking if you can post it on the village Bulletin Board.
There are also two men inspecting several daggers at a table. One sticks the points in the table and looks at the carved bone hilts, the other balances one on the tip of his finger.
Fydmar is keeping a close eye upon the two men catching their eye on a few occasions. You can tell by the sleight of hands and general postures that one is quite the dextrous type, nimbly moving a dagger between his fingers in practised flourishes.

"Want to play Five Finger Fillet? that one asks, calling you over. "You can take a dagger of choice if you win, I take a fat, sausage finger if you lose?" he taunts trying to provoke you to accept.

https://youtu.be/wRmcguxNADM

Elsewhere, Dougal, Durgo & Orgoth engage in their own game, out drinking each other under the table while Cadeweed enjoys some fine fayre and familiar Halfling cuisine.

further actions in the Red Dragon.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Spearmint »

Desert Orchid Hotel

May 29th
Excuse me, do you know of any local historical museums or dealers of antiquities?"
Moriartus enquiries regarding the more affluent merchants and places of curacy. There are a few, depending on specific need. The Collegiate being the most logical place for information. You collect three recommended business cards; 'Junior' Fandango a halfling entrepreneur: importer, exporter of exotic goods.

Xander Fairburn: pictographer and cuneiformist.
Olde Worlde: historical acquisitions.

You can contact each via the Business thread.

Return to “Settlement: Ironguard Motte”