Ironguard: Collegiate Arcanum

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ironguard: Collegiate Arcanum

#1 Post by Spearmint »

Collegiate Arcanum.

This large stone building of gothic arches and cloistered rooms is set in a prominent position in the Citadel for it draws scholars and apprentices from a variety of trades and background who study within its confines. Above the everyday academia of algebra and modern science (the arts of physics and music), the Collegiate is the principal centre for wizardry and arcane study.

Different campus halls deal with select 'schools of spell craft' and characters may elect to come under tutorage to learn or study

The building houses permanent residential mages and those students still waiting to graduate. Characters may attend here to gain an audience with the sages and more experienced mages.

First stop is usually a reception hall. A large oak panelled and tiled room that hustles and bustles with students and Maesters going to and fro, papers and books or experimental research scrolls in hand.

please date your arrival in the Reception Hall.
Attachments
Collegiate Arcanium
Collegiate Arcanium
winchester-college-cloisters-hampshire-medieval-monastic-school-arcade-B27M73.jpg (316.59 KiB) Viewed 555 times

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ironguard: Collegiate Arcanum

#2 Post by Quonundrum »

May 30th 1066

Moriartus hobbles into the reception hall of the Collegiate Arcanium in the early morning, much as he did many times before. This time he arrives not as a student or aide in magic, but as an explorer of faith and divine providence. The manner in which he approaches an attending acolyte of Arcantryl still resembles that of an unsure neophyte, however. "Excuse me, I would like to make a donation ... perhaps more accurately, a tithe ... to the chapel."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

May 30th 1066

Sven
eagerly awaits his tour of the grounds from his respected fellow traveler.

I wasn’t sure if I should invite myself along or if this was a solo endeavor.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Quonundrum »

He's quite welcome!

Before his awkward approach bearing tithes to Arcantryl, Moriartus spends a few minutes giving the young mage a tour of the Arcanium, pointing out the various lecture halls, libraries and labs as befitting an institute of magic and learning. "Please feel free to explore while I attend to my business." A suggestion he hoped Sven would accept as he was feeling a bit apprehensive and unsure of himself at the moment.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#5 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven sees the abnormal discomfort from his new friend, allowing the man all the time he needs.

“I very much appreciate the tour! Ask for me once your business is concluded. I think I will be around here for a while.”

With a new spell idea stuck in his cranium, Sven immediately gets to his research, contemplating his thoughts with any of the more experienced wizards he has a chance to cajole for aid.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth wanders around with Sven, feeling distinctly out of place in the Arcanum.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is glad for the extra company of his large friend.

“There may be writings here about the Barrowmaze, Ossithrax, Cromm, Cults, anything. If you can think of anything we should look up while we’re here, we should.”

He leans in closer. “We could pay to have these things researched as well, to save time, since we should be swimming in gold soon enough.”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Maybe I can find something on Cromm Cruach. Plus I want to visit his shrine here at some point. And we need to do something with the Gold Drakes. I also have a couple of gems to have appraised. I need to come up with a little more coin for my armor."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Cromm Cruah ye seh? I'm coming with ye, Orgoth."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Sure, are you a follower of Cromm too?"

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Well. I'm not the deeply religious person but, when I offer some prayers alone in the woods, it's definitely tae Cromm."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"That is good. If there is time I will donate some labor to whatever projects they are working on here."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Working around the time the group is doing the selling (which he plans to be present for), he will spend approximately 1 full day at the Church of St Ygg and another day at the Chapel for Arcantryl. He will volunteer to do work on the grounds and the end of the day of service, he will donate 50 gp to each church. While he is there is will try to talk to anyone that will listen about the evil Necromancer that is gathering forces near Helix and try to gather any rumors that he can about this topic.

Marked off 100 gp

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

An interior view.

Attachments
Interior of Collegiate Arcanium library
Interior of Collegiate Arcanium library
BqAVReu52k8x5ntRsSuEBq-3uI7eRJ10lvVr8GZwnWA.jpg (421.05 KiB) Viewed 414 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Spearmint »

Moriartus hobbles into the reception hall of the Collegiate Arcanium in the early morning, much as he did many times before. This time he arrives not as a student or aide in magic, but as an explorer of faith and divine providence. The manner in which he approaches an attending acolyte of Arcantryl still resembles that of an unsure neophyte, however. "Excuse me, I would like to make a donation ... perhaps more accurately, a tithe ... to the chapel."
Moriartus is received in the Chapel to Arcantryl. Amos is familiar with the place also as a convert to the mage faith whilst being in prison. Unlike St Ygg's with a multitude of Saint statues, stained glass windows, it's ordained ministers in dog collars and mitres; Arcantryl faithful have no specific dress code or votive intercessor. Around the chapel are alcoves with orbs and wind chimes, caduceus carved from tusk or bone, decorated stars and much more 'new age' foci.

Elders in the ministry are recognised generally from tutorage or just the aura they walk with. One, Merlund receives the mage at his desk.

"Of course, Thanksgivings and benevolences are duty bound but also joyfully received. May grace and knowledge abound to you Moriartus for the gift."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

Sven & Orgoth & Dougal & Fydmar.
With a new spell idea stuck in his cranium, Sven immediately gets to his research, contemplating his thoughts with any of the more experienced wizards he has a chance to cajole for aid.

“There may be writings here about the Barrowmaze, Ossithrax, Cromm, Cults, anything. If you can think of anything we should look up while we’re here, we should.”
The trio set about checking in at reception and getting a small tour of the library, knowing which shelves contain volumes on history, biographies, research. There are more specialized archives in a vault, not available to the general public. These might contain more ancient tomes though the access is restricted to authorized staff or scholars. (Taking a few months over winter as an intern might be an option to consider).

Roll a d6 please, that will indicate the possible information that you can find among the volumes at hand. Any specific interest or just general information on those topics mentioned?
Last edited by Spearmint on Thu May 12, 2022 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Arcanum roll [1d6]=5

Orgoth is interested in The Anganach, specifically Cromm Cruach.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Spearmint »

Cadeweed

Working around the time the group is doing the selling (which he plans to be present for), he will spend approximately 1 full day at the Church of St Ygg and another day at the Chapel for Arcantryl. He will volunteer to do work on the grounds and the end of the day of service, he will donate 50 gp to each church. While he is there is will try to talk to anyone that will listen about the evil Necromancer that is gathering forces near Helix and try to gather any rumors that he can about this topic.

Marked off 100 gp
Cadeweed take +100xp as a trade for the donations.

The conversation about Necromancers in Helix is a strange topic. Some scholars and clergy just scoff at the idea and few here in Ironguard would have much regard for 'fables from the peasantry' as they view those who live in Helix. Of course the Barrow Mounds are a matter of much speculation and your stories, however blagged and embellished they seem are received in a good nature. One guy, himself an adventurer takes your details regarding where you stay so that he might catch up with you later, interested in seeing the barrows for himself. (He introduces himself as Tibermory).

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Karaunios »

Rex wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:14 am Orgoth

Arcanum roll [1d6]=5

Orgoth is interested in The Anganach, specifically Cromm Cruach.
Dougal will give Orgoth a hand Arcanum roll [1d6]=3

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

To Dougal, "So what brought you along on this journey?"

Return to “Settlement: Ironguard Motte”