Ironguard: Travels and Encounters en route.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ironguard: Travels and Encounters en route.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This thread may work a little different. I am trying to put in a 'fast travel' element so folk leaving Helix or Bogtown to trek to Ironguard don't have to roleplay each mile they travel, creating unnecessary delay, especially if no specific encounters in the road are met.

So what I suggest is each group gets to post here the date they leave a neighbouring settlement. I will then roll for any random (or set) encounters, which can be dealt with here rather than setting up an expedition thread.

Upon safe arrival in Ironguard, characters roleplay in the location threads and use this thread again to cover any reverse journeys.

Hope that is simple enough.

Let us go forward then with a current example:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ironguard: Travels and Encounters en route.

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Trade route Helix to Ironguard.

May 29th 1066

A combined group, remnants of two completed expedition teams have joined a convoy of wagons heading east from Helix towards Ironguard.

The trade route is a narrow track of stony ground, much pitted by boggy pools and deep rutted furrows cut into the earth by heavy wagon wheels. The trail winds itself around many a large boulder and thick trunk, the deep forest on either side and high verdant canopy of leaves filtering the sunlight in few warming sun rays, mostly the travel is done in shadow and dark.

It is approximately 18 miles and takes 6 hours on a good day, hauling wagons at a steady pace by large draft horse.

The Silver Standard have hired you guys as guards for a one way trip. It cuts costs and for a large part, you are guarding your own precious cargo.

Sven and Orgoth chat in basic goblin, you have a lined casket with the completed Ossithrax tapestry inside and chests containing other interesting objects.

Amos sits alongside Two-Birds engaging in blagging expedition stories and debating the Arcantryl / Silvanus theology missives.

Moriartus travels with Dougal, chatting future plans. You have a few small locked strong boxes containing your valuables

Cadeweed, Fydmar and Durgo spread out as guards upon the other three wagons driven by the Silver Standard crews.

generally each wagon receives a [1d100] vs 15% breakdown roll during the journey. In winter time, that would be for each hex travelled. A breakdown may also initiate an extra random encounter roll while you take time to repair a wagon.

the groups also face potential random threats, indicated by a 1-2 d6 for each hour travelled. Some encounters might be 'peaceful', such as a Duchy patrol or trade wagons travelling the opposite direction. Others might be wandering creatures or one of a number of volatile situations ranging from a bandit holdup, lizardman band, froglings, even environmental problems such as landslip or treefall.
So in this instance, apart from a wagon axle busting out and the convoy halting a few turns while you guys bash a new wheel in place, no intrusion harasses your travel.

You arrive safely, with lives and cargo intact mid afternoon on May 29th.

each person should make a post in a location or general thread

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

May 29th 1066

Once the group arrives in the citadel, Sven makes another suggestion.

“Having this larger group saved us from trouble on the road. Perhaps we should take advantage of that in the city as well. I propose we remain together in the markets and shops, to deter any attempt at thievery of our wares.”

Understanding his odds do not favor the group, he awaits their decision before getting excited.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"A wise suggestion. Our arrival will certainly pique the interest of thieves. I have business to conduct at the Collegiate Arcanium tomorrow morning, but we can meet in the Silver Standard trade depot at noon, collect our treasures and visit the market. This afternoon I'll point out the different areas and places you can rent a room."

At an opportune time, he ushers Sven aside for a private conversation. "You can join me when I visit the Arcanium, if you like. Give you the grand tour, so to speak?"

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

May 29th 1066.

"Sounds good to me. Strength in numbers I like. I'd like to visit the local bowyer to see if they have any good Hardwoods I can purchase to take back to the bowyer in Helix. Just let me know what you need."

Durgo helps the group wherever needed.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

"I agree as well"

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Having never been here before, I also agree Sven's proposal makes sense. At least until we get our "treasures" sold, and become familiar with the place.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Makes sense Sven."

Whispering to Sven only when he can be discrete, "I intend to stick close by you no mater what."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is happy for the offers to stick together.

“Thanks everyone! Hopefully we all fare well with the merchants!”

He nods to Orgoth, breathing a sigh of relief.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal grunts and nod, looking wearily around him. He doesn't feel comfortable here with so much noise... and the talk of potential thieves doesn't help either.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Well, I for one am glad to be with you lot. Anyone care to room with me is welcome to.

Durgo stays alert and doesn't over indulge in ale.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

Ironguard to Helix

June 3rd 1066

Sven, Orgoth, Amos

Moriartus, Dougal, Two-Birds
Cadeweed, Fydmar, Durgo.

So in the same way that I ran the initial travel from Helix to Ironguard, I will do the reverse for brevity. It will be easy enough to sign on to a Silver Standard wagon train again and even have the luxury of perhaps commissioning a stagecoach between you rather than riding shotgun on merchant wagons.

The roads seem good and despite many deep ruts and occasional flooded patch, all the wagons make the trek without incident of breakdown. Smokie and the Wolfhound are kept apart, the lupine and canine breeds not really geared up for familiarity.

As far as encounters go, the wagon train has two stoppages worthy of note.

The first is with 'a group of pilgrims'. About two dozen men and women, mostly human are trekking along the roadside. Some in the front ward the group with bows in hand though most walk with just staffs in hand. They wear long habits or plain clothes, simple linens with little extrovert colour or accruments. None of the women wear jewellery save wedding bands. At the rear of the group, a large black bear waddles, tethered in a lease and ridden by several children.

In the middle of the group, people share the burden to carry two litters. One has a plinth and a statue of a saint, the other carries a veneered sedan with black curtains draped closed over the windows.

Your wagons pass by, the group's meet and you discover they are a farming commune heading towards some land on the other side of Helix.
The second stoppage is on the cusp of the Helix boundary. This is a group of adventurers who are returning from a trek across the Barrow Moor. They carry on a pole several lizards and a large sacks stuffed with crispy fried locusts, frog legs and salted fish. They tell you that several 'frogling groups' are marauding along the south bank of the Moorwash but have yet to cross the river.

With a breakage free journey and two peaceable random encounters generated, the Ironguard excursion can return to the lesser comforts of Helix.

Please everyone post you next actions in the Settlement: Helix thread or expedition planning.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

Travelling to Ironguard

June 1st 1066

Leibish an elven archer and priest-in-training treks to Ironguard from the commune of The Wyrdwood, accompanied by an elven ranger Phaeus.

He carries an introductory letter to the Silvanus Temple from Patriarch Vivaldius which enables him to gain accommodation during his research sabbatical.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

Silver Standard stagecoach. Helix to Ironguard Motte.

June 26th 1066

Deucalion, in possession of several pieces of treasure recovered from Barrow Crypts, is assigned to travel to the citadel and offer pieces to the appraisers for sale or consideration at the next auction catalogue listings.

He joins as 'deluxe' standard passenger aboard a guarded coach with other notable merchants. As always checks are made. Though the way is usually secure; brigands and other predators or even natural mishaps do haunt the highways and byways of the settlement trade routes.
There is one stop but thankfully not an unpleasant one. Trade wagons from the Moon Peaks travelling in the opposite direction, their consignments of iron ore and coal destined for the forges and hearths of the settlement.

After a few hours the citadel is reached. Deucalion resists any temptation to run away with more than a life's worth of treasure and dutifully spends a couple of days in stewarding the BRAG trove and scoping research questions.
A scratched ruby ring: hawked for 135gp
A carved owl about the size of a hand made from a blue-green fluorspar: valued at modest 50gp value. Kept unsold to use as gift or bribe.
150 Gold Drake Doubloons: can be exchanged at the Ironguard Bank for three times their value, minus 10% commission, so +405gp.
Pouch of several jaundiced looking pumice stones: appraised as Ambergris nuggets. The fragrant whale vomit, taken firstly as hoard by the Barrow Mere pirates and then by Sven. The pieces need individually assessing for granularity and composition before a true value can be made. Discreet notices are issued to Collegiate Arcanum bursary bureaus to provoke interest in their acquisition. Pays appraiser's fee to assess. -30gp

While there, he intends to do research into Palanthas, the ecology and upkeep of rust monsters, and anything pertaining to the Blood God. engages a scholar on one focus issue and takes a couple of days to research other himself. Discoveries subject to random rolls.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Spearmint »

Helix to Ironguard.

July 11th 1066

Golgarth, Gunter, Sidkrake & Selina
. The quartet commissioned by Lord Krothos to follow up the rumours of a secretive Nergal cult meeting in a 'unholy sanctum' known only to Shadows. They are tasked with bringing, Talos, a fugitive priest 'to justice' and to thwart plans by a Nergal patriarch known as Yannarg, who is seeking a new 'Warlord of the Chosen Legion'.

The trade route is a narrow track of stony ground, much pitted by boggy pools and deep rutted furrows cut into the earth by heavy wagon wheels. The trail winds itself around many a large boulder and thick trunk, the deep forest on either side and high verdant canopy of leaves filtering the sunlight in few warming sun rays, mostly the travel is done in shadow and dark.

It is approximately 18 miles and takes 6 hours on a good day, hauling wagons at a steady pace by large draft horse. Unencumbered on lighter riding horses, you can possible gallop along and at least halve that time, encounters prevailing.

Helix to Ironguard: random encounters vs 1: [1d6]=2[1d6]=1[1d6]=3Trade route random encounter: option [1d10]=6

It seems a normal 'trade' day with an accompanied trio of wagons crossing your path from the opposite direction; a dozen herbalists wave from a meadow, collecting exotic stems, buds and seasonal fungi. A hunter with a pack mule loaded with braces of turkey and a deer carcass across its haunches. He warns about 'hobgoblin brigands and warg riders' causing mischief in the Northwoods.

About an hour's ride outside the Helix settlement fringe, you come across an area of boggy churned up ground that bisects the trade route. A few fellow travellers have stopped, gawping at two large insectoids, the carcasses of the juvenile Ankhegs (slain the previous evening by Moriartus, Dalin & Co). Out in the wilderness, most corpses become food for carrion very quickly. Death has a stench that draws carrion critters from the surrounding forest or even the ravenous hordes of the nearby Barrow Moor. You can give a casual inspection yourself and hurry along. The merchant travellers bidding you "Good day." as you pass by, you can warn the inquisitive merchants not to hang about too much.

A timely warning then to encourage them to move on as another mile down the trade road come a pair of 'grizzlies'. Tall and aggressive brown bears, they sniff the air looking for an east meal. Sooner or later they may latch on to the large bounty of crunchy insect. They will have no trouble opening up the chitin plates and feasting in the meat inside. On horseback, skittish as the mounts are, you can bypass these bears without provoking a fight with some detour into the forest and a quick jerk of the reins to gallop on.

With that settled, you arrive in Ironguard Motte, Citadel if the Duchy of Aerik.

Actions to take place in the Ironguard: expedition thread.

Return to “Settlement: Ironguard Motte”