Pulpatoon
Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Adventure Log 001: Welcome to Port Verdigris/Mutiny on the Serena Dawn

#321 Post by Ythgar »

Goran

Stay conscious: [_3d6]=(2+3+5)=10

Goran tries to fall unconscious in such a way that his equipment is accessible . . .

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Rex »

Kallina

Kallin frees herself and goes for Skur Von and administers a Stm Does.

In case a roll is needed.

roll [_2d6]=(4+5)=9 A/D [1d6]=1

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#323 Post by cybersavant »

Skur Vonn mutters "Must get to front - find manual controls. .... ."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kallina pulls out a stimdose and holds it in her teeth. She unbuckles her safety harness, and pauses, counting with the rhythm of the escape pods wild tumult. At the right moment, she releases herself from the harness and lets the momentum of the pod fling her across the interior, executing a neat somersault and landing with her feet planted on the wall of the capsule, to either side of Skur Vonn’s torso. She threads one arm through Skur vonn’s harness to secure herself, and with the other she jabs the stimdose into Skur Vonn’s neck.

The capsule lurches jarringly as one of its dorsal projectors suddenly wakes up and tries to avoid a giant scrap of ragged metal. Kallina is flung around like a ragdoll, but retains her connection to Skur Vonn’s harness.

Skur Vonn snaps back into clarity as adrenaline surges through his system. He knows where the auxiliary controls are, but how will he get to them?
Kallina: 2 of 5 Hits remaining.
Bertie: 2 of 4 Hits remaining. (unconscious)
Sku Vonn: 5 of 4 Hits remaining. (stimdosed)
Goran: 2 of 4 Hits remaining. (unconscious)
Jeeves: 0 of 1 Hits. (deactivated)

Passengers: Fungal Creature, Stripey Vrusk, Elderly Vursk (Kallt'kan & Chrt'kltal). (all unconscious)

What do you do?
Next Update: Wednesday!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Rex »

Kallina

yelling over the noise, "How do I help get this thing under control?"

If needed:

if needed roll [_2d6]=(4+5)=9 A/D [1d6]=4

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kallina hangs on to Skur Vonn’s harness as the capsule veers dangerously through space.

Skur Vonn is awake and amped, but hasn’t gathered himself together to answer Kallina’s desperate question, yet.

On the functioning sections of the pod’s holoskin, they see the beleaguered Serena Dawn explode. A brilliant sphere of incandescent gas fills the rear view, and a new wave of shrapnel overtakes the pod. The sharp rat-a-tat-tat of tiny objects striking the pod’s exterior briefly drowns out the blaring alarms.

:: Alert: Exterior radiation has increased beyond this capsule's mitigation parameters. Prolonged exposure can have negative health outcomes. ::

Then they see something that freezes the blood in their veins: a massive section of the ship’s prow tumbling behind them, along the same trajectory, slowly but steadily overtaking them. If they don’t figure out a way of accessing those manual controls immediately, they and the rest of the pod’s passengers are doomed.

Bertie and Goran may attempt rolls to see if they can rouse themselves.

Kallina: 2 of 5 Hits remaining.
Bertie: 2 of 4 Hits remaining. (unconscious)
Sku Vonn: 5 of 4 Hits remaining. (stimdosed)
Goran: 2 of 4 Hits remaining. (unconscious)

Passengers: Fungal Creature, Stripey Vrusk, Elderly Vursk (Kallt'kan & Chrt'kltal). (all unconscious)

What do you do?!
Next Update: Friday!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Rex »

Kallina

"Time to get to work Skur!"

Kallina frees him and tries to help get Skur to the auxiliary controls.

help Skur [_2d6]=(2+4)=6 A/D [1d6]=4

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by shaidar »

Bertie tries to shake of the effects of the pods motion:

Roll: [_2d6]=(4+2)=6, dis/advantage[1d6]=4

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#329 Post by cybersavant »

Skur Vonn "Too many people in my way - i need to get to the front. There's an auxiliary panel." Skur Vonn pushes up to the ceiling and tries to pull himself forward.

gaming since 1980

Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

#330 Post by Ythgar »

Goran

Roll for trying to regain consciousness, a mighty 4!!!:
[_3d6]=(2+2+5)=9

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Pulpatoon »

Bertie, Goran, and the passengers remain unconscious.

Skur Vonn unbuckles his safety harness, determined to make it to where he hopes to find controls, but is immediately bucked out of his seat and flung across the interior of the ship, knocking loose a canister of fire-suppressant. (Skur Vonn takes one hit of damage, and there is now a loose projectile in the pod, which may hit and damage others.)

Kallina counts her time and springs over to where Skur Vonn has been flung, grabs him, and leaps to the front of the pod, letting the capsule’s bucking momentum carry them to where they need to be! Unfortunately, she does not stick the landing, and crashes hard into the front panels. (Kallina and Skur Vonn both take one point of damage.)

Skur Vonn, battered and bruised, loses no time in using Kallina’s multitool to pop off the likely panel, and is gratified to see a manual control rig unfold and lock into position.

The pod must be of vrusk manufacture—the controls default to vrusk hands. But Skur Vonn’s link has already sent his specifications to the machine, and the controls quickly reconfigure themselves for his yazirian hands.

:: Auxiliary controls deployed. Piloting qualifications acknowledged. Switching to manual override. ::

:: Notice: Taking manual control of an automated craft implies acceptance of legal responsibility for the wellbeing of the craft’s passengers and the material state of the craft. Would you like to purchase supplemental liability insurance? [Y/N] ::

While Skur Vonn is busy with the controls, Kallina snaps him into the safety web connected to the auxiliary controls—not as comfortable or protective as the crash seats and harnesses, but it will prevent him from being flung around the cabin.

Skur Vonn takes control of the pod. One of the dorsal projectors is still not working, but he is pretty sure he can compensate for that. Using the rear controls, the port dorsal projector, and overclocking the altitude compensators, he pulls the pod into a hard upward parabola, escaping the path of the massive section of the Serena Dawn’s prow. The hunk of starliner rolls past the pod, still venting fiery gasses and arcing electricity.

Unfortunately, the sharp turn sends that lose canister spinning through the pod’s interior like a shot!

Who gets pelted?
  1. Bertie
  2. Kallina
  3. Skur Vonn
  4. Goran
  5. Stripey Vrusk
  6. Fungal Guy
  7. Kallt'kan
  8. Chrt'kltal
  9. Nobody
  10. Nobody
  11. Nobody
  12. Nobody
[1d12]=3
The flying cannister cracks Skur Vonn in the back of the head, filling his vision with stars and making him lose control of the pod again for a second. (Skur Vonn takes yet another hit!)
In time, Skur Vonn is able to get the pod under control, and heads out of the debris field. He sets a course for the Volturnus, although he knows that he will need to keep a constant eye on it, as the pod is in rough shape. Unfortunately, he can also feel that a stimdose-crash is coming his way, and that sometime in that hour he is going to need to sleep it off. He and Kallina are able to catch a breath and rouse their companions.

A deeply satisfying silence settles over the cabin, now that the alarms are quieted and the hull is no longer being pelted with shrapnel.

You have about an hour before you reach the planet. What do you want to do with it?

The elderly vrusks have two medkits between them.

Kallina: 1 of 5 Hits remaining.
Bertie: 2 of 4 Hits remaining.
Sku Vonn: 2 of 4 Hits remaining. (stimdosed)
Goran: 2 of 4 Hits remaining.

Passengers: Fungal Creature, Stripey Vrusk, Elderly Vursk (Kallt'kan & Chrt'kltal).

Actions?
Next Update: Monday!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by shaidar »

Bertie checks on the environmental systems:

Roll: [_2d6]=(4+6)=10, dis/advantage[1d6]=6

At last a decent roll. I think she should have advantage on this due to her skills. Hopefully she can resolve any issues.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Rex »

Kallina

"Does anyone have any med kits, I am pretty beat up."

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#334 Post by cybersavant »

actually, Skurvonn is listed as taking 3 hits

Skur Vonn works the controls and tries to pre-program a flight plan in the event he's incapacitated. "Anyone back there have any piloting skill? I could use some help up here."

gaming since 1980

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by Pulpatoon »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:40 am actually, Skurvonn is listed as taking 3 hits
Skur Vonn had been up to 5 Hits as a result of the Stimdose, so taking 3 Hits left him with 2 remaining.

Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

#336 Post by Ythgar »

Goran

Goran blinks and sits back up and cracks his neck with a grimace and a sigh.

I’ve got a toolkit and sensor kit is someone knows how to use them to get him working again. he says looking at Jeeves.
I don’t know gore much of my mad pack is left, but you’re welcome to it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Rex »

Kallina

Kallina will check out Goran's med pack.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Pulpatoon »

:: Current Time: 08:12:06, Serena Dawn Ship Time, March 25 ::
:: Location : Emergency Pod 01 ::
:: Notice: Emergency Pod 01 is under manual control. ::
:: Estimated time to reach the planet Volturnus: 00:52:33 ::

Bertie uses her link to interface with the pod’s environmental systems, and is immediately glad she did—they were on the point of catastrophic collapse. A key compression filed had been shredded by debris, and the osmotic filtration system was actively leeching air out of the cabin and venting it into space. She quickly shuts down the system to prevent further loss and cleverly re-routes the life support through the catalytic capillary system—something that would horrify any safety inspector, but an extraordinary piece of lateral engineering. Taking her multitool, she configures it into a vibro-awl, and then traces the capillaries through the pod’s interior until she finds a couple likely spots, and punches a series of holes through the interior skin. The sweltering cabin quickly fills with sweet, cool air.

No one responds to Skur Vonn’s request for a co-pilot, and he confirms that the ship’s auto-navigation is fried. It occurs to him that he has a rough choice to make: he can try to stay awake and pilot the pod through the stimdose-crash, he could take another stimdose to stave off the crash (this, he knows, will wreck hell on his system), or he could take a soporific now in order to catch a nap before they’re in the vicinity of the planet.

Goran collects the available medkits: two from the elderly vrusk couple, and his own. He suspects that there are probably medkits and emergency supplies stored on the pod, but a quick link-inquiry reveals they are under the crash seats, and will be most easily accessible after everyone has disembarked. Still, three medkits should go a long way to patching up this battered crew.

Anyone who would like to roll medicine checks with the medkits may do so, although Bertie has advantage on this.
  • Critical Success: Heal 2 hits
  • Success: Heal 1 Hit
  • Moderate success: Heal 1 Hit but exhaust the medkit
  • Failure: Exhaust the medkit

Either Bertie or Skur Vonn could attempt to repair Jeeves, but they may both be too busy healing and piloting for the remainder of the journey.

The terrified passengers catch their breath and slowly accommodate themselves to the idea that they are not about to die—at least, not immediately. Not until planetfall, at any rate, which is a solid fifty minutes in the future.

The vrusk in the stripey pajamas first introduces himself to Kallt'kan and Chrt'kltal in Vrk'tliktl, and then to the rest of the crew in PanGal. “Greetings and thank you for your heroic efforts in what were certainly trying circumstances! I am Interlocutor Kdantk, appointed through the Tskan Information Exchange, but lately serving in residency on Truane’s Star. Tell me, does this pod have a functioning ansible? It is extraordinarily important that I update my research with the information banks on Tskan. If anything should happen to us, my research must be preserved.”

The pod does not have an ansible, a piece of faster-than-light communication equipment that would be larger than the pod itself. Kdantk takes this news with a thin veneer of calm, but most of you can see that he is fairly vibrating with panic.

The fungal creature introduces itself with a series of high-pitched squeals and puffs of spores which its polyvox translates as: “I state my welcome/appreciation for and to the otherness of you within our network of interdependence and communication. I am the communicating body of [untranslatable] whom you may refer to as Hilberth. My intention/purpose on this voyage was to pursue mercantile contracts for [untranslatable][untranslatable][untranslatable] on the account of [untranslatable]. I am afraid/in a state of sad realization that these contacts are now [untranslatable] for purposes of [untranslatable]. But I am elated/in a state of hopeful expectation that we have survived and will soon be rescued to pursue new contract opportunities.”

The elderly vrsuk couple pipe up with chipper voices: “And we’re Kallt'kan and Chrt'kltal, retired civil engineers. And you must be Goran’s new friends? So very pleased to meet you!”
PCs
Kallina: 1 of 5 Hits remaining.
Bertie: 2 of 4 Hits remaining.
Sku Vonn: 2 of 4 Hits remaining. (stimdosed)
Goran: 2 of 4 Hits remaining.

NPCs
Hilberth, Fungal Creature: 1 of 1 Hits.
Interlocutor Kdantk (Stripey Vrusk): 1 of 1 Hits.
Kallt'kan & Chrt'kltal (Elderly Vrusk): 1 of 1 Hits. (I’m going to count them as one NPC, for now)

Actions?
Next Update: Wednesday!
Last edited by Pulpatoon on Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Rex »

Kallina

"Bertie can you spare a minute to use a med kit on me? I am not feeling to good."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by shaidar »

Bertie wipes the sweat from her brow. As each passenger introduces themselves she nods.

"The environmental systems are now stable, they were fried! While Jeeves is my friend, he will not suffer if we hold off repairing him. I should try and heal as many as I can before we arrive, starting with Kallina."

How many rolls can I make in the time we have?
Last edited by shaidar on Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Starspiel (FKR/Star Frontiers)”