DataFeed: Operations, Protocols, Pacts, and Practices

Pulpatoon
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

DataFeed: Operations, Protocols, Pacts, and Practices

#1 Post by Pulpatoon »

System Reference Document: Free Starspiel
If you download the PDF, you can use hyperlinks in the document. Of course, it's all of six pages long so, you may not find that necessary.
FS Preview.png
FS Preview.png (1 MiB) Viewed 527 times
What’s Free Kriegsspiel?
What’s Star Frontiers?

In a Nutshell
  • I'll usually end my posts with a question or two about how you respond to the current circumstances.
  • Please respond with how your character intends to act.
  • If the outcome of your character's action in risky and in doubt, roll 2d6. The higher you roll, the better the result is for you and the more control you have of the narrative. Please use the Unseen Servant dice roller, and copy the roll into your post.
  • You can leave the results up to me, or you can propose how the narrative proceeds. I'll take this, along with your roll, into consideration when continuing the story. As referee, I have final say in what actually happens.
  • Please place your die roll and your suggested outcome in spoiler text.
Notes
  • We can vary how granular the action is depending on circumstances and fun. Sometimes we may do blow-by-blow combat, rolling for each punch. Other times, we may decide the entire combat with a single roll.
  • Initiative is based on posting. First come, first served. Please do not post multiple actions before other players have had a chance to respond.
  • Collaborative world-building is welcome. When you are narrating a proposed outcome, you can include ideas about the wider world, beyond the agency of your character. If you come up with anything that works against plans I have for the adventure, I'll exercise an editor's discretion.
  • This is a high-trust game. In the absence of rules, you are trusting me to make fair judgement calls, and we are trusting each other to make fun, interesting choices.
  • Speaking of which: Rolls can be made with advantage (roll 3d6, keep the best 2) or disadvantage (roll 3d6, keep the worst 2). I'm happy to leave this up to your good judgement. We all know that failure is at least as fun as success, right?
  • Please use the dialog and ooc tags, when appropriate.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: DataFeed: Operations, Protocols, Pacts, and Practices

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

The campaign number for the dice roller is:

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Pulpatoon »

Example of play/posting
GM-a-Tron Alpha wrote:The psychic moonbat flies at the innocent ducklings, screaming and firing brain daggers. The duckings quack in terror and try to run away, but they keep bumping into each other and falling down.
What do you do?
Player-Matic Mark 4 wrote:Spacely McHeropants throws himself between the moonbat and the duckings, hoping to take the brunt of the attack himself.
"Not another duckling will suffer this day!"
I'm rolling with advantage, because Spacely has a Tinfoil Hat of Psychic resistance.
Advantaged Roll [3d6k2]=7
Moderate result. I think Spacely protects the ducklings, but maybe his Tinfoil Hat gets crumpled.
GM-a-Tron Alpha wrote:Spacely is able to interpose himself between the ducklings and the Psychic Moonbat (taking 1 Hit from the brain daggers). The moonbat is unable to arrest its headlong flight, and crashes into Spacely. The impact knocks his tinfoil hat off, which lands on one of the fleeing ducklings.

The psychic moonbat is now scrabbling at Spacely's chest with its gnarled claws, trying to reach its teeth towards his unprotected neck. Meanwhile, a fleeing duckling, blinded by the tinfoil hat draped over its adorable little head, is running through a door marked "Cyber-Mangler in Operation." What do you do?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Pulpatoon »

System Update
Updated Die Results
  • Critical Success (12): Things go better than you expected.
  • High result (10,11): Things go as you intended.
  • Moderate (8-9): Mixed results negotiated between player and referee (fleeting success, partial success, failure with an upside, etc.).
  • Bad (3-7): Things get worse.
  • Fumble (2): Unexpected bad luck strikes.

New Character Ability Rules
Your Descriptor (Strong, Educated, Dexterous, Aware, Tough, or Charismatic) gives you a +1 to any applicable roll.
Skills give you Advantage (3d6 keep 2) on applicable rolls.

Return to “Free Starspiel (FKR/Star Frontiers)”