Port Torvin

hedgeknight
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Port Torvin

#161 Post by Spearmint »

Gordansk

He doesn't volunteer to carry any box, already weighed down with the sins of Port Torvin upon his shoulders

Once outside and in relative freedom until he boards the Red Goose he trawls the quayside, buying an apple here, some bread there, hot meat pie of 'questionable meat variety', the paprika spice covers all. Caw flaps from the gables to peck any leftover morsels. He talks to his bird companion, lamenting the recent dead, still left hanging he noticed; and his press ganging into a mission to rescue/kidnap a girl from one family to another. "Are we agents of the cuckoo or the Raven?" he asks his carrion crow, wondering in regard to his predestined path set before him by the gods or the alluding to the fact of the avian that gets its chicks raised in another nest. "Who knows, maybe she will come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"

He will find a Seafarers Mission or some such outreach that exists to benefit the sailors and fishermen who trawl the bays and sail to the far shores. He is always keen on gossip and rumour, what is happening in other nations and how the Greyhawk wars have affected people. Refugees come from all over and it gives him a chance to learn of other cultures.

Once the evening is done and he can bunk down in a hostel or tavern, he will rise early and locate the boat taking them up the Javan River.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#162 Post by Darklin2 »

Well Bone what do you have that is "Special"? I am looking for a couple of large quivers and arrows to fill them. Say 8 throwing daggers and how about a couple of Fishing arrows and line also. Make that 4 bow strings and some string wax and a pint of fine mink oil to season my bow with. If you have a Magical Bow, Quiver or maybe a Bow that allows for strength power laying around maybe hit me with the price and see if we can make a deal.

I need two weeks Iron Rations and a pound of cheese and 3 loaves of Bread. I will get that across the street.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by hedgeknight »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:43 pm Cassius
"Well met. I did not imagine such a shop existed outside my dreams." The Archer starts talking shop and the oils used to maintain his bow, what cuts to make on arrows to make them fly true and bite deep. "I thought I well versed in bow care, but I suspect I could learn a great deal from you. Tell me, are you a purist or do you have an interest in more exotic arrows?"
Bones takes the praise with a smile and a slight bow of his head. "I remember one time in my youth, I visited a bowyer's shop in Dyvers. I know the owner probably thought I was crazed, because I just stood there and gawked for several minutes before remembering why I went there in the first place. Since that day, it has been a dream of mine to own a shop. Another few years down the road and here we are."
Bones looks around his shop with pride and then answers the eager archer's questions. He uses a special oil on all his bows, and while he won't tell you what's in it, he will sell you a small bottle for 3 gold. He has bowstrings a plenty, new (and old) quivers, and a plethora of arrows. "I am somewhat of a purist, but I also never turn down an advantage if my life is in danger. Let me show you what I mean."
Archer stuff.jpg
Archer stuff.jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Bones leads Cassius to a small counter where quivers and boxes of arrows await purchase. Bones steps behind the table, surveys the wall for a few seconds, and picks several arrows from various quivers.
"These arrows are enchanted with various magicks...most of which I couldn't replicate if my life depended upon it. For example, these arrows enhance one's ability to hit their target. [a.k.a. +1 arrows ;) ] While these are hollow-tipped for...erm...an extra punch, if you so desire such. This particular one is filled with some type of gas." He holds it up to a nearby lantern to reveal a swirling green mist inside it. "My friend calls it the Revealer - it will reveal hidden or concealed objects and enemies when fired into an area. I have three of these.
"Now, this one is a favorite of mine. It is a Silent arrow and when shot, there is no noise, not even a twang from your bowstring! And wherever it lands, it creates a zone of ultimate quietness. Ah, it's a marvel indeed.
"And these here," he quickly proceeds, not giving time for Cassius to respond, "can be quite deadly."
He picks up the first one, a red shafted arrow actually feels hot to the touch. "The target of his arrow is liable to be engulfed in a flaming shroud and die horribly, should they not find some way to extinguish the flames."
Bones gently lays the red arrow on the counter and picks up another, a bright green arrow (shaft and fletching) and he says, "When fired this arrow turns into a poisonous viper! If the gods will it, the target of this arrow will die on the spot! Be very careful with this one."
The third arrow Bones picks up is made of white ash wood and is quite exquisite. "My cousins taught me how to make these many years ago and I've been churning them out when I can ever since. This arrow can pierce any armor and with luck, will hold fast its target in place. I have six of these."

While Cassius is drooling and thinking about the arrows, Bones steps aside to help other customers. He sells Zan a pouch of sling bullets, even throwing in a few extra, "for good luck," he says. (24 bullets for 2 silver.)
Darklin2 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:45 pm Well Bone what do you have that is "Special"? I am looking for a couple of large quivers and arrows to fill them. Say 8 throwing daggers and how about a couple of Fishing arrows and line also. Make that 4 bow strings and some string wax and a pint of fine mink oil to season my bow with. If you have a Magical Bow, Quiver or maybe a Bow that allows for strength power laying around maybe hit me with the price and see if we can make a deal.
Bones listens and nods and walks Sai over to the counter where Cassius stands and explains again the "special" arrows. He also says he has plenty of quivers and arrows, fishing arrows too with stout line to go with them, bow strings, wax, oil..."yes, all of that is here. Tell me exactly what you wish to purchase? I'm glad to help."
Winter is coming...

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#164 Post by Darklin2 »

The third arrow Bones picks up is made of white ash wood and is quite exquisite. "My cousins taught me how to make these many years ago and I've been churning them out when I can ever since. This arrow can pierce any armor and with luck, will hold fast its target in place. I have six of these."

Sai

I will take 2 capped quivers and 40 Sheaf arrows. 2 Fishing Arrows with the string. A pint of the bow oil and 3 spare strings. What is the cost of the White Ash wood arrows each? I may be interested in a couple of those if the price is right.
Last edited by Darklin2 on Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#165 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan looks at what Bones has to offer for the heck of it then asks "Got any crossbow bolts that can ensnare er anythin' like that? Yah know specialty quarrels."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

If allowed, he will pick up the red arrow and experience it firsthand. "These are truly marvels, every one." The Archer coos over the arrows while examining them. "This, Sai, this is magic I can get behind. Tangible, real."

Cassius's child-like wonder does nothing to help his bargaining power, but he tries to put on a serious front. "Practically, I would need two strings, two score plain arrows, and maybe a sealable quiver? A bottle of that oil to try out, I'm curious about how it compares to my own. As for wants, that silence arrow calls out to me, as do the Revealer and the red one."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by hedgeknight »

Darklin2 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:03 pm Sai
I will take 2 capped quivers and 40 Sheaf arrows. 2 Fishing Arrows with the string. A pint of the bow oil and 3 spare strings. What is the cost of the White Ash wood arrows each? I may be interested in a couple of those if the price is right.
Bones listens to Sai's order and begins to fetch everything on the list.
Oil - 3 gold
Capped quivers - 2 gold
40 sheaf arrows - 2 gold
2 fishing arrows w/string - 1 gold
White Ash arrows - 100 gold each
GreyWolfVT wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:23 pm Roan looks at what Bones has to offer for the heck of it then asks "Got any crossbow bolts that can ensnare er anythin' like that? Yah know specialty quarrels."
Bones nods to the Dwarf, thinks for a second, and then raises a finger in a "Aha!" moment, and wanders off to return in a few moments with a wooden box. Inside, the box is lined with packing straw protecting a half-dozen gleaming bolts. Bones gently lifts one from the box. "These came all the way from Dwarven craftsman in Ulek; a good friend of mine. He says these are stun bolts, where upon impact, the head shatters and releases a shock force that stuns the target; it could kill them too, for all I know. Anyway, these are not cheap, but since they were made by a fellow Dwarf, I could sell them to you for what I paid: 500 gold for the box. What do you think, good sir?"
Monsieur Rose wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:54 pm Cassius
If allowed, he will pick up the red arrow and experience it firsthand. "These are truly marvels, every one." The Archer coos over the arrows while examining them. "This, Sai, this is magic I can get behind. Tangible, real."

Cassius's child-like wonder does nothing to help his bargaining power, but he tries to put on a serious front. "Practically, I would need two strings, two score plain arrows, and maybe a sealable quiver? A bottle of that oil to try out, I'm curious about how it compares to my own. As for wants, that silence arrow calls out to me, as do the Revealer and the red one."
Bones flinches when Cassius boldly picks up the red arrow, chuckles nervously, and gently takes the arrow from the eager archer. He then gives the cost for Cassius' order and "wish list":
Oil - 3 gold
Capped quiver - 1 gold
40 arrows - 10 silver
Silence arrow - 100 gold
Revealer arrow - 150 gold
Red arrow - 100 each or 250 for all three.

Reminder:
You were told to put anything you want on the account of Count Tydan ;)
"Anything else, my new friends?" Bones asks.
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT

#168 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan eyes widen with interest until the price is dropped "I'm interested but ain't got that kinda coin at tha moment. I wonder if tha count would count this as part a me payment."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#169 Post by Darklin2 »

Sai

Well since the Count is buying I will take all 6 of the White Ash arrows. Do you happen to have one of those folding composite long bows the Elves use with such extreme accuracy or maybe a Masterwork Composite Long Bow with more distance? If so I will take those too. Always best to be prepared for anything.

He starts stuffing his requests in his pack and strapping the quivers along side his pack.

GreyWolfVT

#170 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan slaps his head with his hand "Dun forgot that bit, tha count is payin so yeah I'll take them bolts Bones."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Cassius

"A fair price, even if the Count wasn't paying. Deal."

"How delicate are these arrows? You make me a bit nervous, you know." He chuckles as Bone flinches and takes the arrow back.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Karaunios »

Vilana

"I will have one quiver with those magic [+1] arrows if possible." Instead of the original quiver with regular ones.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by hedgeknight »

Bones is momentarily confused when Roan wonders aloud, "I wonder if tha count would count this as part a me payment."
"Count Tydan sent you to me, did he? Well now, that's a horse of a different color!"
And he begins anew as Roan and the others confirm their orders. "Coming right up, gents! A masterwork bow, you say? Let me see what I have." He returns in a minute or so with a beautiful oaken bow in a leather sleeve. He hands it over to Sai. "Just finished that one last week. Let me know how it fires when you return to the Port."

Cassius pipes in. "How delicate are these arrows? You make me a bit nervous, you know."
Bones smiles. "Well, you don't want to drop one point down, I can tell you that! That'll roast every nut you have!"
He's still chuckling to himself and lifts his head to ask a question...when he sees Vilana walk up to the counter. :o Bones stops what he is doing, blinks a few times, flushes with embarrassment, and then stammers, "C-can I be your servant, erm, of-of service, my lady?"

"I will have one quiver with those magic [+1] arrows if possible." Vilana says.
Bones nods quickly and fetches the quiver of magical arrows. "Th-there's only ten. I-I should have more in a few weeks. When you get back."

Please feel free to continue role-playing this scenario, but I'm starting a new thread...here: https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 48&t=12079
Also, please make sure you add all of your new items to your sheet; if it ain't on your sheet, you don't have it. ;)
Winter is coming...

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Karaunios »

Vilana faintly smirks at Bone's comment. "Well, maybe you can provide me with another one of your wonderful bows and maybe a out of the ordinary long sword." She points at her own sword, hanging from her belt, to avoid any confusion.

GreyWolfVT

#175 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roan takes the bolts, and thanks Bones. added 6 stun bolts to inventory

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by gurusql »

Zan

Zan is sure to carry the scroll that the Count offered to speak lizard man

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by hedgeknight »

Karaunios wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:51 pm Vilana faintly smirks at Bone's comment. "Well, maybe you can provide me with another one of your wonderful bows and maybe a out of the ordinary long sword." She points at her own sword, hanging from her belt, to avoid any confusion.
Bones flushes red again. "I-I'm afraid I don't have any other bows like the masterwork bow I just sold to Sai. However, I do have some regular bows, should you need one. Erm...follow me."
He directs Vilana to a small rack of bows, unstrung, near the wall. There are at least a dozen or so, all very well crafted of various woods, but predominately made of ash wood.
"As for the long sword, you'll have to go to an armory for that. There's one a couple of stores down."
He smiles nervously and looks at his feet, glancing occasionally at Vilana's face.

Last reminder: make sure all of your purchases are on your character sheet. ;)
Winter is coming...

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Karaunios »

Vilana

"Hm... Alright..." Says the elf, ignoring the bowyer's reactions. Her focus lies on the bows. She will check if any is any better than her short bow.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by hedgeknight »

Vilana examines the bows Bones has for sale, and is impressed with his workmanship. Some bows are plain while others have intricate carvings all along the wood. None appear to be any stronger or stouter than the bow she carries.
Winter is coming...

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Karaunios »

Vilana takes on of the carved bows. They're going to be paid by the count, so... She tried to get a bargain for her "old" one. ", How much would you give me for my current bow?" She takes advantage of the situation and looks directly at the bowyer, smiling.

Return to “Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2e)”