Helix: The Rosy Quartz Jewellers & Moneylenders.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Helix: The Rosy Quartz Jewellers & Moneylenders.

#61 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo adds, "I'm green but not that green. Perhaps I can go to Ironguard to fetch a better price then. That trip though is a bit of a trek. I could do a side job guarding a caravan going there perhaps to make it worth my time though. Perhaps you can do a bit better price?

[4d6]=14 vs CHR 12
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz Jewellers and Moneylenders.

Durgo and Gur Hirwen offer and counter offer, each trying to gain a few coins advantage. That advantage, certainly in the negotiations lies with the gnome.

While he tries not too give a 'take it or leave it' offer, he suggests that without cracking each geode open, he is bidding on instinct and experience.

He counts out more than three hundred gold coins, piling them in three tall towers hoping the young warrior salivates over the rising stack as he deliberately counts them out, one by one, "Two hundred and forty eight, two hundred and forty nine, two hundred and fifty, two hundred and .... ... three hundred and twenty seven.

There, a little bonus to seal a deal man to man, or gnome as it were.

Now you can hump these geodes around the Citadel, hawking them to all sorts of swindlers and charlatans masquerading as gem-smiths. No doubt word will spread, young boy, alone in a hotel suite, swag bag under his mattress. No telling what vagabonds lurk in the Citadel dark alleys, supposing you get there with bandits on the trade route and Sauron skin flayers lurking by the river.

On the other hand, we can shake a deal and I will move this mass coins over here then crack open the geodes in turn. We then agree to add to or subtract from the coin pile according to what we discover inside. Hollow rocks with inert crystal flakes and you leave with nothing. Find a worthy gem and you might double your money.

Deal or no deal? +327gp, take some risk or take back your rocks?"

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Let’s just say I’ll take the deal on faith.St. Ygg provides for me and I’m not a greedy man. If you truly get more than you think was fair perhaps you can tithe a small portion to the chapel in our names and remember me next time we haggle who got the better deal, good sir. My hand on the deal then 327 gp

Durgo pleased with the deal and manages to factor in the church
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz Jewellers

Durgo leaves, +327gp clinking in his much heavier belt pouch but his back lighter for loosing the sack of rocks.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#65 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven eventually goes to see his little friend Gur at his shop. He shows the gnome the varnished urn, the pewter mug, and the ale horn they found on their last delve.

"How is my favorite gnome who's name sounds like he is always angry?" He jokes.

"I brought you a few more trinkets to make an offer on, if you see anything you like, that is."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal enters the store (probably not at the same time as Sven).

"Good evening dear, how are things with you these days? I heard about that poor dwarf being kidnapped by the vile lizardmen, horrible news really. But I also picked up that some stout men where setting out to clear that up. Let's hope for their safe return.

I was wondering what kinds of gemstones or crystals, or even rare minerals you have in store? You see, I am conducting some research as to the supernatural properies of gems, to see if they can be harnessed for the good of the community. All sanctioned by Lord Krothos of course.

I don't need big or fancy stones, nothing like that, just something to get me started. I have several things for trade.

Raisin bread?"
She produces a small package out of her basket.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz
Sven eventually goes to see his little friend Gur at his shop. He shows the gnome the varnished urn, the pewter mug, and the ale horn they found on their last delve.
"Mr Jolly you are a bigger Mercenerary that those rascals at Osen's guild.", the gnome raises his spectacles for a deep look into your eyes, "yep! I knew it Barrow Fever has turned his pupils into $$$ signs." he laments the mage's desire to cash everything, turning to inspecting the goods.

"Varnished urn. Nice, solid, few scratches. Good for flowers or perhaps the ashes of greedy adventurers. Forty-five gold.

Hmm, pewter mug. Would look better with a frothy ale filling it to the brim. Heavyweight, simple design, no leaks or chips, big handle. You can get a gauntleted fist grabbing it. Shame it doesn't come as a pair that you can bash together in celebratory victory with a comrade. Twenty eight gold.

An actual Ale Horn. Kill a barbarian chief did you? Now this is much nicer. Different quality ivory than the mask. Wide hollow, tapers to a fine point, rim and buckles in nicely fitted gild. Lovely two-headed creature design."
he puts it to his ear, "Hark, I can hear the sounds of battle, the howling of wolves and the jangling of purses.

One hundred and Seventy-seven gold."

Sven listens, not sure if Gur Hirwen can actually hear wolves howling or he is just taking the mickey, good naturedly of course.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz
"I was wondering what kinds of gemstones or crystals, or even rare minerals you have in store? You see, I am conducting some research as to the supernatural properies of gems, to see if they can be harnessed for the good of the community. All sanctioned by Lord Krothos of course."
Base gemstones, those listed as 'Ornamental' (DMG pg26) can be bought from the business for 15gp each considering it is a seller's market. He will have a few of each in stock in some shape or form.

Semi-precious stones may be available, subject to random roll, Fancy or Precious at a reduced chance. Any stone could be imported to order, subject to enough time and money.

So Ms Fiveclover, what do you have in mind?" the gnome takes cash obviously or can reach a reciprocal trade agreement, maybe taking a potion in trade.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#69 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:14 pm The Rosy Quartz

"Mr Jolly you are a bigger Mercenerary that those rascals at Osen's guild.", the gnome raises his spectacles for a deep look into your eyes, "yep! I knew it Barrow Fever has turned his pupils into $$$ signs." he laments the mage's desire to cash everything, turning to inspecting the goods.

"Varnished urn. Nice, solid, few scratches. Good for flowers or perhaps the ashes of greedy adventurers. Forty-five gold.

Hmm, pewter mug. Would look better with a frothy ale filling it to the brim. Heavyweight, simple design, no leaks or chips, big handle. You can get a gauntleted fist grabbing it. Shame it doesn't come as a pair that you can bash together in celebratory victory with a comrade. Twenty eight gold.

An actual Ale Horn. Kill a barbarian chief did you? Now this is much nicer. Different quality ivory than the mask. Wide hollow, tapers to a fine point, rim and buckles in nicely fitted gild. Lovely two-headed creature design."
he puts it to his ear, "Hark, I can hear the sounds of battle, the howling of wolves and the jangling of purses.

One hundred and Seventy-seven gold."

Sven listens, not sure if Gur Hirwen can actually hear wolves howling or he is just taking the mickey, good naturedly of course.
Sven quickly pulls out his pocket mirror to verify if his eyes have indeed changed.

"Ah, good one Grrrrr. You almost had me going there for a segment."

"Though I would love my own warehouse filled with the long lost treasures we find, we also like to eat and drink. Do you have any idea how expensive building materials are to get here in Helix? Well, yes, I suppose you do, but I digress."

He takes the horn back and listens inside himself, falling for the gnomes tricks a second time.

"If this is as nice as you say, perhaps I will hold onto it. Maybe use it in a Guild ritual to toast our newly joined members from now on or something."

Willing to part with the other two items, Sven nods at the offer. "How about a nice round 80 gold pieces for the pair?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Spearmint »

Willing to part with the other two items, Sven nods at the offer. "How about a nice round 80 gold pieces for the pair?"
"Sold or bought rather." Gur counts eighty coins out.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#71 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven bows and makes the sale.

"Always a pleasure, good sir!"

"Say, when you sell these items I bring in, do you document to whom, or where they go, by any chance? I have this sinking suspicion that I'll eventually sell away an item that I will need back at some point."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by sastaz »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:50 pm The Rosy Quartz

So Ms Fiveclover, what do you have in mind?" the gnome takes cash obviously or can reach a reciprocal trade agreement, maybe taking a potion in trade.
Gerdal

"Three hematites if you will, good sir. And you wouldn't by chance have any (reads from scribbled note) carnelians, chalcedonies, chrysoprases, moonstones, ambers, alexandrites or jets?" She clears her throat and puts the note away. "Sorry to bother you like this but I'm doing some studies which requires these base materials, hope you understand."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz
"Say, when you sell these items I bring in, do you document to whom, or where they go, by any chance?
"On a general level no. Gems are often traded just to make a more transportable wealth, designer trinkets or common relics like the Varnished Urn will just go to random auction if they don't take a local.buyer's fancy. More unique items might go to specific collectors, what we call 'soul gems' might attract Collegiate maesters, items with cultic thematics possibly go to sage Monks and dabblers in the occult. Certain notable items might get registered from the Duchy standpoint. You know finding a gold coin in a farmer's field is just your lucky day but strike a motherlode vein and the Duchy will claim interest.", the gnome counsels Sven.

Gerdal you can buy the base Hematite gems at his marked up price, -15gp each. He checks his stores and inventory,
carnelians, chalcedonies, chrysoprases, moonstones, ambers, alexandrites or jets?
. He says he can import what he doesn't have in stock, if you give him a week to make arrangements. Buying in each gem in triplets, 4 gem types x 45gp.

He has carnelians, ambers and jets in stock. Just mark off quantity purchased and reconcile the total price.

Rosy Quartz: gems availability vs 1-2 [1d6]=2[1d6]=6[1d6]=6[1d6]=5[1d6]=2[1d6]=5[1d6]=1

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by sastaz »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:44 pm The Rosy Quartz

Gerdal you can buy the base Hematite gems at his marked up price, -15gp each. He checks his stores and inventory,
carnelians, chalcedonies, chrysoprases, moonstones, ambers, alexandrites or jets?
. He says he can import what he doesn't have in stock, if you give him a week to make arrangements. Buying in each gem in triplets, 4 gem types x 45gp.

He has carnelians, ambers and jets in stock. Just mark off quantity purchased and reconcile the total price.

Rosy Quartz: gems availability vs 1-2 [1d6]=2[1d6]=6[1d6]=6[1d6]=5[1d6]=2[1d6]=5[1d6]=1
Gerdal

"Excellent, let me have one of each (hematite, carnelian, amber, jet) for now, and I will get back to you if I need to make an order. Always a pleasure. Good day sir."

I did not understand your comments regarding prices, but can I assume all of these are +50% off the list price in the DMG? 15 + 75 + 150 + 150 = 390 gp?
Last edited by sastaz on Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Spearmint »

-390gp. Yes, I see my mistake, I thought you listed just base stones. Yes, the mark-up is +50% for a basic uncut, marble sized gem you can experiment with.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by sastaz »

It's all good. I listed all gems Gerdal could possibly afford which had (reputed) properties that suit the game :)

390 gp deducted.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal returns on July 8th again.

"Mr Huwen, I'm back, as you can see. I had some interesting progress with the hematites i purchased from you just a week ago. You don't happen to have more in stock? I'm thinking" she counts, mumbling for herself "around 200 gold coins worth of it?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Spearmint »

Gerdal, you can buy +14 Hematites for -200gp

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Stirling »

Rosy Quartz Jewelers and Moneylenders.

July 7th Happy to be fully healed and rested from wounds received, he would normally celebrate in the tavern, but upon this day, I visit the gnome businessman with a business proposition of my own.

I will take my 'little black book' ledger and go to cash in the receipts lodged after negotiating with Mazzah over the scroll we found in the Potter's Mound. Reuben's Hallowed Ground trek.

Of Eldon there has been no sight for weeks but his huge, slobbering mastiff Sarge is still in the Brazen Strumpet kennels with my horse and I covered the kennel fee these last two months. The hound will make an excellent guard dog and I heard from Bollo that Gur was interested in acquiring one so I will bring the dog along.

I know Tamson the miller's son, is still around so will ask Gur Hirwen to pay or keep that in his account and I have heard from one of Pernicious's wenches that Dalin is off on an errand for her, so will keep his on account for him to cash in when he returns.

Of Fapp Bublu, his parents work supplying vegetables for the Foul Pheasant, so in his absence, send his money or receipt there That is all local people accounted for.

Then I have the forged Last Will & Testament supposedly signed with a bloody fingerprint of Savant, using the Testament document I received from Vicar Othar after I helped translate the Sauron ledgers here:
During our search of the Barrow we obtained tomes detailing Sauron rituals and edicts which we gave to the chapel. My transcription was not the best, Vicar Othar has these volumes.
The Last Will & Testament of Savant is waxed sealed, using the signet ring of the nurse Sister Flora who worked in the hospice at the time of the blaze. So that should add another touch of authenticity and legitimacy.

So, I want to present the transaction contract document signed by Mazzah which should still have Savant's signature and inked fingerprint visible. I will hand over the forged Will of Savant which named me his heir should 'tradegy or misfortune happen', hoping the blood stained fingerprint matches the inked one on the other document.

I also have my own receipt to cash in my one hundred gold.
Mazzah casts a Read Magic upon the scroll that was found in the urn of the coffer from the pottery mound secret room. Hallowed Ground expedition.

He finds that the wizard script on the scroll has a strange new spell and one with a specific focus in mind. It seems to centre upon creatures related to earth elements and causes them to melt into clay or fall apart. The spell needs more research but holds some power of transmutation on it.

"I would pay to transcribe this and then send my ledgers to the elders of the Collegiate Arcanium in Ironguard. This may be the rarest find though it's worth is unknown. I can offer 500gp now and in a few weeks when the report is returned, advise you of any findings of interest."

Savant to discuss with expedition group and decide: Dalin, Eldon, Fapp, Vann Hector

The Read Magic cast upon the scroll reveals it to contain a spell that summons a guardian creature. Not a guard dog but some elemental being with an association to 'earth'.

"Fascinating. Sort of things wizards and druids go mad for. I am already mad so that counts me out and Bjornak gets madder every day." he hands you (Savant) the scroll back.

this was done. We agreed to give Mazzah access to the scroll in order to copy the spell and pay us 100gp each, so 600gp not 500gp when his studies were complete. We asked for a copy of the spell once the Collegiate had researched it.

resolution:

A copy of the scroll was eventually given back to Dalin Silverhand, see #185. The coinage was not paid out but lodged with the Rosy Quartz, Vann Hector had a 'Bearer Bond' to the value of 100gp lodged for each expedition participant, including Tamson, after negotiating an increase to include the miller's son.

These were never shared out as folk split into separate expeditions, so Vann Hector still has all six receipts.
"Gur Hirwen my entrepreneurial colleague. How are you? A guard dog is needed, I hear and this faithful hound is looking for a new master ...

Now to business. I would like to cash in my chit and unfortunately as you know, my dear cousin
died in the hospice blaze, naming me in his will as he lay on his hospital bed.

This chapel headed parchment was penned by attending clerics as he lay dying, breathing his last and is sealed with wax to prove its untampered authenticity. I believe it names me his heir and after my period of mourning I can claim my inheritance rights. God rest his soul."

Vann Hector: forgery vs 35% [1d100]=37

He shuffles his feet a little uncomfortable, sweat on his brow. If I need a distraction from close inspection of the documents I will step on the dog's tail.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#80 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wow!

I am starting to understand why some of you so vigorously recruit the types of players who like to bail out of the game after a handful of posts.
:lol:

Return to “Settlement: Helix”