Quest to Rescue Lady Barunnas Alant, House of Ballinford

Ithril
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest to Rescue Lady Barunnas Alant, House of Ballinford

#701 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Igber
Someone's written on the floor - in big letters in blood!

Smacks of magic!

Igber sees the step is rough and sloping. He lays a sling cord along the step edge to coral the pebbles and set his trap.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#702 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath Will move to the stairs to look get a better view of the writing * see if he can tell if it is a summoning or a holding/warding spell.

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#703 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker grimaces.... commenting, "..I knew leaving the books somewhere instead of thy hand was a mistake. Never is abrogating a dangerous burden a "Good" Idea...it smacks of cowardice in the face of responsibility... and NEVER ends well! But such is immaterial now... they are gone and we will deal with those consequences together."

Then Harker looks up and pans his gaze about the chamber... and scowls...

"Something wicked has awoken and it is a different evil than what was infesting the cave... matters may be worse now."

He returns his gaze to the party, "We do not know the cave system, we only know that through that door leads into the tower and a potential exit. To try to use the caves as a battleground to fight a hit and run tactic against the tower residents is nonviable considering our lack of situational intel... but we DO know the interior of the tower. So barring someone with a more compelling better plan I'm going to kick that door in and storm the towers defender ~ I'll risk whatever unknowable traps hinder the way to fight for our freedom and exit the tower! We cannot suitably rest in the caves and to stall here over unfounded fears of traps is to invite disaster..We Must take BOLD Action... and the Exit is through that door AND I'm willing to take Point to force our exit!"

"So. Any better Idea or plan that is viable? Cause now IS the time to decide ~ I trust Coweena's Sword Arm and Traesta Stalwart Wisdom Over any unknownable hazards beyond that door!"
"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#704 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena just shakes her head, "Axe arm."

"Seriously, we need to be prepared to face something worse than anything we have so far."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#705 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rex wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:12 am Conweena

Conweena just shakes her head, "Axe arm."

"Seriously, we need to be prepared to face something worse than anything we have so far."
We have faced skeletons and zombies. Could we face that giant snake again? I didn't like it the first time! And maybe there is something down here that might give us better resources to fight whatever we now face out there?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#706 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble looks at each of the exits and then the blood on the floor. He grips his sword tight unsure of which way to go next. "Whichever way you think best to put this evil down..."

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#707 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath ignores the commentary on leaving the book, despite being tempted to point out that it would have left both of his hands full, and unable to cast or fight. Instead he points out This circle has something to do with time. I cannot tell what, but I fear it is some sort of a trap. I agree, we must move into the tower most quickly! Lead on!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#708 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena falls in as the head into the tower.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#709 Post by gurusql »

Sorry, I had a question on a private message from the GM and I have not posted as I am waiting on a clarification.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#710 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

"I agree that we should act boldly and quickly, I sense the blood of the serpent seems to be a source of stronger magical energies. It has somehow been enchanted, and the strength of it's power seems to be growing." whispers Traesta as she readies her mace, "Lead on Harker, I will follow."

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#711 Post by Ithril »

Igber regathers his cord and sling stones while Harker and the rest of the group make ready to storm the steps. The door at the top is shut tight, but it opens out onto the floor above, and it seemed in good repair when you used it last, but you don't recall, (and cannot tell) if there is a bolt to it on the other side or not.

I want to give any of you another chance to specify any details before we proceed.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#712 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena readies her axe and shield so she can move through the door quickly once opened.

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#713 Post by sunphoenix »

Harker nods.

But spares one comment of reassurance to Coweena, "Not worse, but new and somewhat different ~ worry not! Together we will vanquish all foolish enough to bar our way!"

Pulling one of his oil vial from his pack he will turn back to the doorway of the circular room and splash the lamp oil on the painted blood writing on the floor. Then lighting his lantern will pull a strip of cloth from his clothing and lite it on fire hefting his spear to dangle to burning cloth from the tip over the oil spilled on the floor writing and ignite it!

He will wait a few moments for the oil to all catch fire hopefully ruining the blood stained writing upon the floor... though he is not idle as he repacks his gear ~ snuffing his lantern again.

Then he hefts his sword and shield and heads for the door to the tower entering the circular room. He tries the door if its barred he will lean his bastard sword against the wall draw his dagger and slip it between the door boards to lift the bar and open the door... opening it for Coweena to pass through as he retrieves both sword and dagger as needed.

Otherwise he opens the door and enters sword and shield in hand leading the way into the tower making NO attempts at stealth he does not head directly for the exit but is ACTIVELY Seeking opponents to engage in battle in the best position he can spot for tactical fighting {meaning doorways or tight hallways where two shoulder to shoulder with shields can hold off many ~ where numbers cannot be used to easily overwhelm}...!
Last edited by sunphoenix on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#714 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena will move through the door once opened and secure the entry for the others. Scanning the area for any potential foes or monsters.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#715 Post by gurusql »

Traesta

"We should burn the blood, I am worried that we will be running into some blood magic like a glyph. Does someone have some oil to do that? Then we charge the door."

sunphoenix
Guide
Guide

#716 Post by sunphoenix »

gurusql wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:07 am Traesta

"We should burn the blood, I am worried that we will be running into some blood magic like a glyph. Does someone have some oil to do that? Then we charge the door."
Ooc: You did not read my post?

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#717 Post by Ithril »

sunphoenix wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:33 pm Ooc: You did not read my post?

I was watching for it, and missed it too.

Harker lights the oil he spilled on the floor.
There isn't nearly enough to cover all the runes, but he does the best possible, pouring the most of it as Traesta indicates. He lights it, and black smoke erupts from the dull flames the flicker in layers across the film of oil.

The door isn't bolted, neither does it open easily. Perhaps it has stuck?

Suddenly, there is a not so subtle bang from the door in the Sount wall of your circular tower basement chamber. Another double bang motivates your group. Something is coming through that door whether it opens, or it has to break it down. Another loud bang is accompanied by the sound of splitting wood, and the arm of an all too active corpse reaches through the hole, searching. More loud bangs follow, and the door will not last much longer. Choking smoke starts to accumulate along the ceiling of the chamber.

I'll need an open doors roll from Harker. 1d20, Success on 11 or above. Normally it would be 9 or less, however it will be easier to reverse this roll to make the following players' rolls dependent on it. Everyone else rolls initiative (1d10), I'll adjust it according to my understanding of your marching order:
Harker, Conweena, Pebble, Dorath, Igber, and Traesta last just in case something gets through that door in the cellar. (+2 per place cumulative).

The first player who rolls above Harker's roll (and everyone in line after them) will not make it through the doorway for the first round, but will make it through on the second round.
Last edited by Ithril on Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#718 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Initiative [1d10]=1

For once my crappy rolling is beneficial.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#719 Post by Ithril »

Rex wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:12 pm For once my crappy rolling is beneficial.

Not that it's likely to matter, As long as Harker makes open the door, Conweena is virtually guaranteed to be able to escape the chamber below the tower as well.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#720 Post by Rex »

I figured with a 1 roll that would be the case.

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”