Investigation #6: The Historical Site Part 2

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Investigation #6: The Historical Site Part 2

#101 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:24 pm For my clarification when you say "shadowy" are you trying to hint that Jeniveve does not appear to be human/living and looks like a spirit or ghost or that she merely was sneaking around in the shadows?
Good question! Literally in this case is all the lights are off and it is dark outside. So a girl dressed all in black in the dark against the slightly brighter white house moves towards you because, of course, a blind person doesn't need lights on.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#102 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bluehorse wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:59 pm
GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:24 pm For my clarification when you say "shadowy" are you trying to hint that Jeniveve does not appear to be human/living and looks like a spirit or ghost or that she merely was sneaking around in the shadows?
Good question! Literally in this case is all the lights are off and it is dark outside. So a girl dressed all in black in the dark against the slightly brighter white house moves towards you because, of course, a blind person doesn't need lights on.
thank you. That helps my reply stands then if it was more the other way I was going to make some check rolls.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:24 pm Roy looks at Jeniveve and raises an eyebrow "Uh, are you ok? What happened to the others? Over the phone it sounded like you all had something really bad going on here? Is everyone ok?"
Jeniveve gives that creepy smile of hers that is somehow expressed in those blank white eyes as well. Their all busy elsewhere. I had to make sure to send them out so we could conduct this quietly. Dont worry. They will be fine, and my mother is sleeping soundly after the draft i slipped into her wine. So it is just the three of us.

She tilted her head up slightly towards Roy. Shall we go? she extends a hand.

GreyWolfVT

#104 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy looks at Jeniveve and replies "Alright, uh yes, lets get going. I hope we don't get into trouble with your mum or the mayor for this. How much do you know about what is going on on our end?" he asks helping her into the Ecto 1 and helping with any bags she has.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#105 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Just you then? All right, let's go. When everyone is settled in the Ecto, Lionel heads back to the bar, hitting the lights and sirens when they get a few blocks away from the house.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker slips Mac's "chaser" into a pocket and begins researching. He's looking for all the details he can find about Staton Blackwell and Drake Harrison, especially anything he can find about the interaction that led to the curse.
[8d6]=29 ghost [1d6]=4 brains +3 BP
While he taps and scrolls, he lights one of his own hideous-smelling cigars.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Bluehorse »

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 9pm
Dark, Cooling.

Okay still working out the time, things are actually syncing fairly well. Mac, I need you to hold off your next roll now. We are into the next "pocket" (and actually still ahead for an hour, but you are all caught up for the next few rounds until 2am at which time the difficulty goes up, etc.

Drake Harrison knocks back his next round without any issue and one has to wonder if he is even able to taste it at this point... being dead and all... Mac cannot deny that he is feeling effects now after 5 hours of keeping up with a ghost, but somehow he is keeping just ahead of the alcohol. The last time he drank this much was graduation night at GBU. The next morning he was throwing up while laughing because his roommate woke up with a goat in his bed. To this day neither of them knew how they got home much less why the goat was there... or wouldn't say... The ghost of Staton Blackwell watches quietly, apparently resigning himself to the role of spectator as Joker realizes he feels incredibly calm as compared to before. Not at all drunk or tipsy or even giddy, just... okay. Everything is okay.

He begins looking over the PKE readouts and sees much of what he saw before. The ghost and Mac are somehow connected. Their energy signatures have become intertwined, the signals from Drake are clearly holding onto Mac, suppressing them and anchoring him to the bar almost like a remote possession, but it is very incomplete. Likewise, he can now see Stanton is intertwined with Drake. It is Stanton whose energy is clearly dominant here, holding onto Drake, creating a sort of psychokinetic daisy chain of energies. There is an undercurrent, almost a single "thread" of energy linking all three that is almost undetectable, but it is there. Perhaps this is the power of the curse itself, binding them all. It is also clear that this single energy signature, minute though it is, is handedly repelling the overwhelming aura of Marshall Reeves who has been watching this exchange with more interest ever since listening to the exchange between Stanton and Drake almost an hour ago. Still, he is silent but intense.

Meanwhile...

Lionel & Roy drive back the way they came to aid the Blackwell descendants pick up the blind and oddly creepy leader of D.O.O.R., Jeniveve Joniet. Every time one of them looks back at her she has that same weird smile on her face, and despite those milky white eyes it always seems like she has been and continues to stare directly at you every time you look at her.

Feel free to insert any kind of questions or dialogue you like, we can have some retro or flashback posts as needed. Case in point:
Roy to Jeniveve "Uh, are you ok? What happened to the others? Over the phone it sounded like you all had something really bad going on here? Is everyone ok?"
JJ Of course. Everything is as it should be. I had to send the others on another job. It is perfect for them. There is a cemetery out by the interstate that needed rededicating. All the traffic on either side of it has made the spirits there restless, especially those that were paved over. They are grounding the more restless spirits and will be busy with that all night. I had to make sure to send them out so we could conduct this quietly. Dont worry. They will be fine, and my mother is sleeping soundly after the draft i slipped into her wine. So it is just the three of us.
Roy looks at Jeniveve and replies "Alright, uh yes, lets get going. I hope we don't get into trouble with your mum or the mayor for this. How much do you know about what is going on on our end?"
JJ I can handle, Mother, don't worry. The Mayor... well, what he doesn't know won't hurt him. He is dabbling too much as it is. I know you are trying to save your friend from Drake Harrison who has snaggled him into the death curse of my many greats grandfather Stanton, who is trying to assist where he can but is also limited in what he is allowed to do other than haunt Drake for what he did. Don't underestimate little gifts. You're friend, Joker is also suffering from his close encounter with Father Belmont and his best fiend. I'm glad my grandfather was able to help him with that problem, but after tonight he will need rest for what is coming. You're as prepared for that as you can be, but not as much as you think. It is time to call in favors you have earned from others. Also there is the risk of the girl, Julia. She is strong, otherwise she would have fallen already, but the influences here are very old and you need to resolve that quickly before it is too late for her... though... hmmm... perhaps it already is... But we won't know about that until a much later date in the past. But that is just how the world works, I am arfaid.

Here is the breakdown:
Each round will be 1 hour (for now) just to get things going.
Round 1, You just need 1 roll for Muscle at easy. So 5+ and you are good. PASSED!
Round 2 PASSED with GHOST DIE!
Round 3 PASSED!
Round 4 PASSED!
Rounds 5 through 8 is 2 mod rolls. PASSED!
Rounds 9 through 12 is 1 mod roll and 2 hard rolls.

Drinking Rules:
Failure means you gain a penalty because you are getting drunk. Each penalty ups the difficulty of the following rolls, so this can go badly very quickly depending on Mac's endurance. You can spend as many BP as you like.

For every failure in a round, you will lose 20BP.
For every Ghost dice that comes up a 1, you have a reaction that will cause a roll on my part to see what happens BP-wise.
Failure with a Ghost will be both.

If you fail all your rolls in a round, you only lose the BP which can be a big hit towards the end.
If you fail all rolls in a round plus ghost, then you pass out and lose the "game"
If you drop to 0BP you pass out and lose the "game"
Actions?

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 212/217 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 256/256 @
Roy O'Dowd: 337/355 @@
David "Mac" McAuslan: 261/289
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 506/584

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die. Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Rex »

Mac

Holding for now.

GreyWolfVT

#109 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy "Sounds like you know a fair bit of what is going on then. So we have multiple ghosts or spirits in the historical site that are I suppose a mass hauting though most are not doing anything harmful some that were not good people in life however apparently are under some sort of witch curse or so said the one Mac is stuck drinking with, the ghost marshall is trying to keep the peace where he can but in some cases he has no actions he can take against some of the stronger cursed spirits." is Roy's summary of the events currently.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Urson »

Joker

There is an almost audible 'click' as Joker connects the dots. He takes Mac's 'chaser' from his pocket and walks over beside Mac. Mac! Have a can of Trailblazer- it's a local craft beer. Cut the taste of all that whiskey.
He very calmly- using every ounce of Cool he can manage- sets the 'chaser' on the bar beside Mac.

[8d6]=32 ghost[1d6]=6 cool: 3 +6 BP
FA FO

Scott308

#111 Post by Scott308 »

Eh. I'm not too worried about the mayor. He told us to stay away and this is twice now we've been to meet you since that talk. I just want to do whatever we can to help the people- living or not- of the area. If that means we consult D.O.O.R., then that's what we do. I trust you. I do NOT trust the mayor. He's only concerned with things that make him money or gives him power. The citizens don't matter unless they align with his goals.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#112 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy adds in "Yeah don't get me wrong I don't trust the mayor one bit. But I'm worried eventually he will discover we have been consulting with D.O.O.R. and he did get Ecto1 fixed for us fast. Mind you I'm willing to bet he just bought us a new one. I trust the folks of D.O.O.R. more than anyone else in the area so far."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Bluehorse »

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 10pm
Dark, Cool.

Wow, has anyone else had major crash problems with the internet lately? Two major things I have not been able to keep working has been my gmail and this site, seems to be getting better and I hope this post goes through, finally! Thank you for being patient!
Urson wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:09 pm[8d6]=32 ghost[1d6]=6 cool: 3 +6 BP
Drake doesn't seem to care. Wasting your time with that Greenhorn... but be my guest. he snickers.

Mac takes the chaser offered by Joker after he has a revelation of what might be going on before him. Mac feels a hint of that numb burn in his throat go away as the beer mixes oddly with the belly full of whiskey, vodka, gin, and everything else that Drake Harrison as ordered so far tonight. Then... relief. Mac feels many of the encroaching negative effects soothing away from his system, the wooziness, the churning in his belly, all of it. He feels every bit as good as when he walked in, better in fact.

Marshall Reeves eyes Mac and then turns to Staton Blackwell who non-challantly shrugs, but there is a bit of a twinkle in his eye when he turned to Joker before resuming his observation of Mac and Drake.

Lionel & Roy:
GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:52 pm Roy "Sounds like you know a fair bit of what is going on then... multiple ghosts or spirits in the historical site... a mass hauting... some sort of witch curse... no actions [Marshall Reeves] can take against some of the stronger cursed spirits." is Roy's summary of the events currently.
Jeniveve Joniet Mass hauntings, yes. But the curse my grandfather laid out was personal again Drake over there. That is why they are linked. Witches and other magic users can laid down curses, sure, but the most powerful ones are our death curse when we can make what amounts to a final wish at the moment of our death. It call down all the power we possess all at once on whatever we direct it at. In this case, my grandfather cursed the man that murdered him over a drink at this bar. It didn't go as he had planned, which is the dangerous part. It is raw energy and not always as controlled as other spells we weave through ritual which can been more intricate.
Scott308 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:42 pmLionel "Freight Train" Williams
I'm not too worried about the mayor. He told us to stay away... this is twice now we've meet you since that talk. I just want to ... help the people- living or not... If that means we consult D.O.O.R., then that's what we do. I trust you. I do NOT trust the mayor. He's only concerned with ... make[ing] money or... power. The citizens don't matter unless they align with his goals.
Jeniveve Joniet nods as she listens. I'm glad to hear you trust us, but believe it or not, the mayor isn't as bad as you, or anyone else thinks, especially himself. And he wasn't always like this. she turns more or less towards Lionel We're all made up of good and bad one way or another, and it would be a shame if we were all condemned by a minute amount of our total actions, wouldn't you say?

Marshall Reeves turns his gaze on her at that point. Careful, witch... You're view on things are badly tainted.

Jeniveve Joniet just smiles. I assure you, I see just fine. the blind girl says with mischief in her tone.
GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:19 pmRoy adds in "Yeah don't get me wrong I don't trust the mayor one bit. But I'm worried eventually he will discover we have been consulting with D.O.O.R. and he did get Ecto1 fixed for us fast. Mind you I'm willing to bet he just bought us a new one. I trust the folks of D.O.O.R. more than anyone else in the area so far."
Marshall Reeves turns to look at Roy now. I'll make note of that for The Judge.

Jeniveve Joniet on the other hand just grins wider. Thank you, Roy. If you need help staying clear of the Marshall, let me know.
We have charms for that sort of thing.

The sky and the ground as well as the building around your rumble as she says that and Marshall Reeves is clearly no happy with where the conversation is heading. As I said before... Careful... he says in measure caidence, looking at you all as the clock ticks on as well as the drinking contest... Eventually it is midnight and time to roll for the final leg of drinking.

Here is the breakdown:
Round 1, You just need 1 roll for Muscle at easy. So 5+ and you are good. PASSED!
Round 3 PASSED!
Round 4 PASSED!
Rounds 9 through 12 is 1 mod roll and 2 hard rolls. CHASER

Chaser: Mac took the chaser so things change up a bit. You have to still make the same rolls as before but you get a free re-roll. All the previous rules apply, but with the reroll you have a better chance of shrugging off negative effects. You are still going for >20 on the hard rolls.

Drinking Rules:
Failure means you gain a penalty because you are getting drunk. Each penalty ups the difficulty of the following rolls, so this can go badly very quickly depending on Mac's endurance. You can spend as many BP as you like.

For every Ghost dice that comes up a 1, you have a reaction that will cause a roll on my part to see what happens BP-wise.

If you fail all your rolls in a round, you only lose the BP which can be a big hit towards the end.
If you fail all rolls in a round plus ghost, then you pass out and lose the "game"
Actions?

BP Spending

Brownie Point Pool:
David "Mac" McAuslan: 261/289

GreyWolfVT

#114 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy clears his throat "Ok perhaps I should rephrase that. I trust the marshall here a lot so far he is the only ghost or spirit that has tried to help us, or at least prevent trouble from the other spirits and keep the peace even in his after life. If he were still living I'd trust him a lot." the Irish-American tries to clear up his mispoken words having thought he said them back on the car ride not in front of all the ghosts. "I should also clarify that I might trust the mayor more if he wasn't acting like he was hiding something and trying to cover up a bigger issue locally. He's a bit more trustworthy than some car salesman we did a commercial for."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Rex »

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker says nothing, but grins around his cheroot. He nods slightly to Blackwell, and then busies himself with readings from his PKE.
FA FO

Scott308

#117 Post by Scott308 »

Yeah, the mayor has given us a few reasons why he may not be real trustworthy. But, politicians, right? Haven't had any other politicians I've talked to, so I guess I really don't have a reference if he's better, worse, or the same as others. He's been elected, so he must be doing some things right. I mean, he did bring us here. Maybe he had financial reasons, but I like to think we've made a difference in the lives of the good people of Fort Smith, so he gets credit for that, whatever his reasons might have been.

GreyWolfVT

#118 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy moving along to the solution of the problem "Jeniveve, so how exactly do we get Mac out of this?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Bluehorse »

Drinkin' With the Dead
September 17, 2018 6am
Dark, Cool.

Big Time Skip here! Mac succeeds in his final roll so I don't want to drag this out more than needed.

Roy works hard to quell any displeasure in the ghost/potential angel of vengeful justice with how he had misspoken. The Marshall says nothing but continues to watch the drinking contest even as the hours tick away ever closer to the morning. Lionel adds to his own thoughts about the mayor and other motivations.
GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:22 am Roy moving along to the solution of the problem "Jeniveve, so how exactly do we get Mac out of this?"
Jeniveve smiles as she holds out her hand almost like she were feeling something in front of her. I believe... he is doing exactly what he needs too...

Mac slams down the last shotglass and though there is no way he isn't feeling fatigue by now from the all nighter along, just as the others are, somehow he feels like he has a leg up still. He can feel something inside him, break. Something that was holding him before seems to simply no longer be there. He finds her can move again.

Drake Harris knocks back his last drink and looks over at Mac lazily only knit his brow and look frustrated. What the hell... You've lasted longer than I would have thought... longer than anyone else...

Stanton Long enough. he chimes in for the first time in hours.

Drake looks irritated. What do you mean? Bartender! Another round now! he growls.

Marshall Reeves perks up and stands up straighter, looking like he is suddenly ready for action and pulls out a large revolver, pointing it at The Green Eyes Ghost of Drake Harris! You're under arrest!

Jeniveve smile widens and she turns more or less in the direction of her grandfather who turns and looks at her as well and they seem to share a moment of happiness as something tangible snaps in the air, breaking and releasing a heavy tension that everyone had not realized was there.

Drake looks at the Marshall and then to Mac and Stanton. NO! he yells angrily and shakes his fist at the bartender. Drinks! NOW!

The Bartender runs out from behind the bar and out the door leaving Drake staring after him in shock as his power over the situation begins to crumble around him.

Joker has been able to keep his mind working as he watched the PKE the entire night and the readings have been fascinating watching how the curse and the chaser (counter curse) have been fluctuating but it was Mac who still carried it through and caused the entire thing to begin crumbling down. The connections between Drake, Mac, and Stanton have all broken, as well as whatever Extra-Perifial Energy Conjunctions or EPEC (Trademark pending) that he has observed over the last 6 hours. He has some amazing data to share later, but most importantly, everything he has gathered is also synced to the other equipment.

Marshall Reeves cocks back his revolver and it begins to glow with what can only be described as fire inside the inlays and etchings all over the gun itself. One way or another, you are coming with me.
MarshallsGun.jpg
MarshallsGun.jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Drake looks at the gun and for the first time looks scared. I'll... I'll pour the drinks myself!

Jeniveve holds up a hand. Too late. The sun is rising. she grins and just like that, the first rays of yellow sunlight begin to shine in through the windows.

Here is the breakdown:
Round 3 PASSED!
Round 4 PASSED!
Rounds 9 through 12 is 1 mod roll and 2 hard rolls. CHASER PASSED!

Chaser: Mac took the chaser so things change up a bit. You have to still make the same rolls as before but you get a free re-roll. All the previous rules apply, but with the reroll you have a better chance of shrugging off negative effects. You are still going for >20 on the hard rolls.

Drinking Rules:

Actions?

BP Spending
Mac -6 to rolls.

Brownie Point Pool:
David "Mac" McAuslan: 255/289

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Rex »

Mac

"I told you Drake, I have never encountered anyone who could out drink me."

Return to “Mission Archive”