A Rush and a Push (IC)

tibbius
seanfsmith
Scout
Scout

Re: A Rush and a Push (IC)

#81 Post by seanfsmith »

Eyeless

"We would be the same as that," Eyeless says. His vision lingers on the sheriff's weapon, pocked and patinaed though it is, the careful polish of high grade gun oil is unmistakable. "They call me Eyeless. Those there are known as Violet, and there over Quicksilver."
Running Halls of Geryon Playing Drago Bisque
NAZl SLAGS GET lN THE BlN

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by tibbius »

Sheriff Dawkins nods with careful respect, the kind that a hunter gives to a group of herbivores that are individually large enough to trample the hunter. The Sheriff's deputy enters the room. She's a low wide woman who sweats. She looks at the three of you with a calm demeanor, then glances at Vee and the Sheriff. She settles herself against the glass front wall of the room. Like the Sheriff, she has her thumbs on her gun belt.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by kalstone »

Violet

"Susie told us about something that's carryin' off people at sundown. We'd be willin' to take a crack at stoppin' it, but we need a little more info about what's been happenin'."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Pulpatoon »

Peppermint

A thin man in a sweat-stained linen suit knocks on the machine shop's door.
"Sheriff? Postal clerk asked me t' drop this off with you, and yer secretary managed to get across as you might be down here." He hands the sheriff a fold of paper, and then lingers, half-hoping for a tip.

Looking around at the others, he nods a greeting. "Quite the convocation you've got here. Vee holding a sale or some such?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by tibbius »

Sheriff Dawkins starts to speak, then frowns as Peppermint distracts him. He takes the folded sheet and sticks it into his pants pocket. "It happens unpredictable like, two times now. Both times was a person by themself, seems like they stopped at the traffic light, and something just ... ripped the door of the car right off the hinges, like. And gone! Left some tracks, looked like it went right down into the gulch ... Don't have the per-son-nel to hunt it down, right?"

The short wide sweaty deppety nods vigorously. She has a serious look on her face. That seems to be her resting face.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Pulpatoon »

Peppermint

Giving Violet and the droids a more directly appraising look, he says, "Oho! You planning a beast-huntin' expedition?"

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by kalstone »

Violet

"So no one has followed those tracks? What's down there in the gulch?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by tibbius »

"Down at that end," says the Sheriff with a directional hand gesture, "there is Shady Acres. Up at the end where the tracks go, ... the gulch ends at the base of the mesa."

The mesa ... that's where you saw the shining panels of the solar ranch from the far side of town, when you arrived.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Pulpatoon »

Peppermint

"It's... let me see, Miss Violet, Quickstep, and Deadeye, right? I'm pretty handy with names. If'n you folks are planning on following those tracks, I hope you won't mind me tagging along. I'm a doctor, y'see, and if... well, if there's any survivors of th' Beast's attacks, I reckon they'll need some serious patching."

Stifling a wet cough, he unwraps a red and white candy and starts sucking on it to settle his chest. "People 'round here have taken to calling me Peppermint."

seanfsmith
Scout
Scout

#90 Post by seanfsmith »

Eyeless would cock an eyebrow if he had one.

"Glad to meet, Pepper. I am always happier when we've got doctor's fingers in reaching distance."

They turn to face the lawmens.

"There's a solar farm out that way, I recollect? Who's lot is that? Surely they aren't as pleased with a murderous beast chilling down in their lightfarm."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by tibbius »

"Funny thing is," the sheriff's female sidekick says abruptly, "they ain't seen it."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by Lance »

seanfsmith wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:55 pm Eyeless

"We would be the same as that," Eyeless says. His vision lingers on the sheriff's weapon, pocked and patinaed though it is, the careful polish of high grade gun oil is unmistakable. "They call me Eyeless. Those there are known as Violet, and there over Quicksilver."
Aww, you didn't use my genius code names! :D
tibbius wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:56 pm "Funny thing is," the sheriff's female sidekick says abruptly, "they ain't seen it."
Quicksilver nods "This narrows potential hiding places down significantly. What is the shortest way into the gulch, preferably with vehicles? I fancy a look-see from the bottom."
Pulpatoon wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:20 am Peppermint

"It's... let me see, Miss Violet, Quickstep, and Deadeye, right? I'm pretty handy with names. If'n you folks are planning on following those tracks, I hope you won't mind me tagging along. I'm a doctor, y'see, and if... well, if there's any survivors of th' Beast's attacks, I reckon they'll need some serious patching."

Stifling a wet cough, he unwraps a red and white candy and starts sucking on it to settle his chest. "People 'round here have taken to calling me Peppermint."
"Glad to meet you, Pepperbox. We indeed plan to get ourselves in harm's way. If you're inclined, you're welcome to join us."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Pulpatoon »

Lance wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:05 pm "Glad to meet you, Pepperbox. We indeed plan to get ourselves in harm's way. If you're inclined, you're welcome to join us."
Peppermint looks over at Violet and tilts his head to indicate Quicksilver, before stage-whispering, "Th' droids got a scramble. Ain't processing names right."

Looking to the sheriff, he says, "Looks like you've got a right posse of helpful souls, ready to wander the wilderness after whatever's been snatching away yer citizenry. I don't suppose that's worth a deputization, and perhaps a requisition or two of some equipment? Tracking tech, heavy firepower, medical gear for hauling back any survivors as we might find?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by tibbius »

As Sheriff Dawkins opens his mouth, you hear a quick sequence of noises - heavy footsteps, a squeal of brakes, a metallic crunching impact, a noise of metal being shredded and bent, a brief human scream or yelp of fright, and then more heavy footsteps. You all crowd up against each other as you move to look out the door of the machine shop lobby, but by the time you get outside, all you can see is a small yellow car flipped over on its side beneath the flashing amber traffic light, which is bobbing fiercely back and forth as if something had struck it. The driver door of the small yellow car has been violently removed and thrown aside, it lies on the street about ten yards from the car.

"Well shiyut," says the Sheriff.

"Shiiit." agrees his sweaty deputy.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

seanfsmith
Scout
Scout

#95 Post by seanfsmith »

Eyeless

"I got this, officer."

Eyeless sprints out the door, hoisting his longhorn shooter as they go.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by tibbius »

Eyeless perceives that with the setting of the sun the air has gotten notably cooler; their temperature sensors are flipping between yellow and green on their internal dashboard. Also, the daytime breeze has dwindled to almost still air.

A cloud of pink dust lingers over the gravel parking lot to the right side of the street, toward the gulch.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Pulpatoon »

Peppermint
"Everyone, how 'bout two of you start after... whatever you can follow, and one of you come with me to collect our rides.

"Sheriff, I know you got yer hands full, but that poor soul's screams are still echoing off the clapboards. Can you muster any support in the time it takes us to get the rides?"

FarseersSeeFar
Squire
Squire

#98 Post by FarseersSeeFar »

Boomy

"We'll ain't that some'n... I missed the action again." From alongside the edge of the Sheriff's office walks an aged man, a greying, trimmed beard clung to his face, which was shrouded by a worn leather hat. The ember of a disposed cigarette that he up and used illuminated his face slightly. Everything about him seemed old, yet tough.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by kalstone »

Violet

"I'll head after it. Anyone who wants to, come along."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Pulpatoon »

kalstone wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:06 pm Violet

"I'll head after it. Anyone who wants to, come along."
Peppermint: "Yer riding the walkin' bird, right? I'll bring it up from the stable when I get my goat."
FarseersSeeFar wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:22 pm Boomy

"We'll ain't that some'n... I missed the action again."
"Old Timer! You free? I need a hand fetching rides for these folks. I'll pay you a sawbuck or two if'n you can help."

Return to “A Fistful of Crypto (24MBB)”