Out in the black - 300-001

BackworldTraveller
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Out in the black - 300-001

#21 Post by Leitz »

"Interpreting data is a difficult but very useful skill." Angelo sat back just a little. "Consider what you just said; that you don't know how sensors work. Looking at the datapoints provided tells me that since I think data interpretation is important, then I need to help you learn sensors. If you are going to work hard for me then I will spend resources to ensure you can do a great job. Doing so will help me reach my goals."

Angelo kept his eyes on the pilot's console, but nodded down to the scene below. "Consider the concepts of goals and resources, and look at the mess below again. Not the entire thing, but one small piece at a time. For example, there are three patient transports on deck, but only one looks functional. The hospital's goals require three patient transports, and they are operating at one third of their capacity."

"Now, businesses spend resources to achieve goals. A hospital has a goal of treating patients in an effective and efficient manner, and having three patient transports enables that goal. We Free Trader have 'make a profit' as a goal, and helping customers reach their goals serves our goal. They transfer resources to us, we help them, and we both reach our goals. With that in mind, what could a trader do about the patient transports to make a profit?"

"Jackson, their artificial gravity will make setting down tricky, I think. We are happy to help, but I'm not one of those hot shot pilots from the vids. Maybe I'm a little better than whoever caused this mess, but maybe I've just been lucky until now."
Angelo grinned. "So, let's think this through. Setting down on the hanger floor is not a great idea, but if moving cables will help them, how can we meet both requirements?"

Angelo's real goal is to Persuade Ranjit that applying himself to learning and contributing is useful, if not millionaire making right off. The more motivated Ranjit is, the faster he will learn.

With that in mind, Persuade roll is 12 ( 8 + Skill(3) + Int (1) )

On a different note, I glanced at the "Training" post under "House Rules" (viewtopic.php?p=513858#p513858). As a trainer in a former life, I'd offer that most Level-0 skills can be learned in a weekend for normal skills, and in a week for Advanced Edu type skills. After Level-0, it becomes a matter of practicing, going back for training, and practicing some more. Given Angelo's goals of building his team, this comes into play directly.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Despite the obvious damage to the station, the Garrison appears to be ensuring that the ship is prioritised. Indeed those helping elsewhere seems to have been called there and local workers appear to be being moved off the wreck. All their military support seems to now be going to rescuing their personnel. You can understand the sentiment, but their ship isn't the only place things went wrong.

But that isn't all bad, the other rescue teams start to work their way through the wrecked hanger even as you spend time securing the roof. And the control tower contacts you again.

LDV Tender, can you please take team Echo-4 and secure that free-floating docking gantry. It may not be coming down for a while but it's orbit is going to come back close and it would be better stabilised and marked with beacons.

Getting Ranjit to scan the gantry, the results put it at nearly 40km away already. A quick calculation makes you realise that nearly two hours have passed since the accident - and you have been on station for over an hour!

Echo-4 takes the job - if you'll provide transport...which you probably have much option on really.

Do you have an opinion on the best way to tackle that? asks their leader? And how shall we "Secure" it?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Leitz »

"Let's get everyone aboard and refreshed. We have food, water, and coffee. We can hold position here for a few minutes while we refit ourselves and plan," Angelo said to Echo Four's leader. "Get some external atmo, make sure your suits are ready for a few more hours work, and have a sandwich."

Angelo nodded to Ranjit to help get everyone settled in and relaxed, and the he looked at Jackson. "I do not have the math or navigation skills to set the gantry in a good orbit, so my recommendation would be 'sitting still and far away'. If they have a beacon and some attachments, that would be useful. We have tools on the craft here, and on the Vita, but I'm not sure what is needed. You're the chief engineer, what do you think?"

Sorry for the delay!

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Leitz wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:34 pm Sorry for the delay!
No Problem - up to my eyes in "Reschedule the delivery due to Ukrainian situation agitating the markets"
Jackson looks at Angelo - My Astrogation is non-existent. But the tower should be able to give us a vector to work with. I'm not sure a straight tow will work - the damned thing will wriggle something chronic. So I'd go for a person at each end and slow the thing's spin with manoeuvre packs. How are you at playing about in Zero G? Or we get some remote thrusters and use those to de-spin the frame before lining the nose of the tender and shove...A nice frame would protect the nose. That I could build.

Ranjit chips in...And we'd need beacons. And some extra air. And thruster fuel. And maybe spare scrubber cartridges for the suits. Long safety lines? He looks pleased that he added something. And then he pulls out his phone and starts taking notes. You'll be sending me to find those, right?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Leitz »

"You are correct," Angelo said as he grinned at Ranjit. "You are learning fast."

Angelo looked around the compartment for a moment; taking in his own people as well as Echo Four doing their best to reduce his supplies of coffee and sandwiches. Like them, his vacc suit helmet was off, and everyone could see the real person. Angelo liked real people, even when difficult things needed to be discussed.

"Everyone, a moment of your time, please. We need to consider something. Echo Four, if I say something I shouldn't, please forgive me. However, an issue weighs on my mind and I'm not sure if it is real, or just my imagination."
Once he had everyone's attention, he continued. "The military should not have had this sort of issue, something seems amiss. They are also giving a lot of attention to the craft, and that also seems a little amiss. Usually a military accident that causes civilian problems is handled by a senior military person pledging all support possible to minimized civilian loss of life and property."

"That hasn't happened here, as far as I can tell. I do not know what it means, but I do want each of you to be aware of it. Such things, if they are real, have a nasty habit of causing even more problems if we are caught unawares."
He shrugged his shoulders. "As I said, it may not be real, but merely the perception of the moment based on lack of sleep and piloting early in the morning. Take it as you will, and then get back to work giving Ranjit the supply list to send back to Port. We'll head that way to get what we need, and then head out to the gantry."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Leitz wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:16 pm "You are correct," Angelo said as he grinned at Ranjit. "You are learning fast."

Angelo looked around the compartment for a moment; taking in his own people as well as Echo Four doing their best to reduce his supplies of coffee and sandwiches. Like them, his vacc suit helmet was off, and everyone could see the real person. Angelo liked real people, even when difficult things needed to be discussed.

"Everyone, a moment of your time, please. We need to consider something. Echo Four, if I say something I shouldn't, please forgive me. However, an issue weighs on my mind and I'm not sure if it is real, or just my imagination."
Once he had everyone's attention, he continued. "The military should not have had this sort of issue, something seems amiss. They are also giving a lot of attention to the craft, and that also seems a little amiss. Usually a military accident that causes civilian problems is handled by a senior military person pledging all support possible to minimized civilian loss of life and property."

"That hasn't happened here, as far as I can tell. I do not know what it means, but I do want each of you to be aware of it. Such things, if they are real, have a nasty habit of causing even more problems if we are caught unawares."
He shrugged his shoulders. "As I said, it may not be real, but merely the perception of the moment based on lack of sleep and piloting early in the morning. Take it as you will, and then get back to work giving Ranjit the supply list to send back to Port. We'll head that way to get what we need, and then head out to the gantry."
The leader of Echo-4 looks grim. The rumours are that it wasn't an accident, and there is a senior figure aboard the vessel who is nearly dead. They are angry because he used to command their Unit - before he was promoted to the Naval Staff. We are looking after our own and they are suspecting us of complicity.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Leitz »

"Yes, I'm sure destroying your own facility is good business,"
Angelo said. He took a breath, and looked at the leader. "I'm a businessman, and in difficult times it is easy to protect corporate interests. Most managers do just that, and we've seen how that plays out; failed business after failed business. Let me offer an entrepreneur's perspective."

He leaned forward, and smiled. "Consider that the military people are people, just like us. They are hurt, and pain makes us lash out. When I have an important customer with a problem, even if they caused the problem themselves, I make it my business to help them. When they have time to look at the situation rationally, and see that even though they lashed out at me for no reason, I helped them, they bring me so much more business that it is difficult to keep up with."

"If I were a team leader like you, I would consider how much my team, my family, and my company would benefit from helping solve this issue. There is an undamaged ambulance, put it at the disposal of the military. There is a huge debris field, make sure the military is kept up to the minute informed on how we are resolving that issue. There are military injuries; call in every worker and make sure the hospital operates at maximum capacity for as long as it takes."

Angelo pointed at the leader. "I don't know who to talk to so that these things are done, but you do. You have the ability to make a huge difference here, and to solve a problem before it gets much worse. You are a leader, will you lead?"

Persuade roll 12 (8 + 3 + 1)

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by BackworldTraveller »

I'd love to...but we are tasked from stopping that gantry from landing on the heads of those guys down there - or spinning into the hospital. There's only me and my 4 rock-hoppers and you guys - I aren't the boss, much as I'd like to be!

You've convinced me...but the guys you need to convince are down there and in the admin block. Now - shall we do our bit before the sky falls in?

And with that, the crew chief starts for the stores looking for a set of thrusters and a nav beacon - clearly having an argument with someone on a comms channel, but you can't overhear!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Leitz »

"We will get things done," Angelo said. He didn't push, but talked to each of the team about who might the right person be to talk to, and who did they know in the admin building. It was just like being a broker; find the right set of connections to the perfect buyer. Ranjit and Jackson knew people, and Angelo helped them see how the connections they had could bring them one more step closer to success.

All the while piloting the craft and helping Ranjit keep up with finding everything on the list.

Angelo is concerned about the military issue, and will do what he can to find the right people to talk to. He can use the names and connections already made, and may get a chance at making things better. While it would normally be easy, the stress of the crisis probably make it more difficult.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Leitz wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:35 am Angelo is concerned about the military issue, and will do what he can to find the right people to talk to. He can use the names and connections already made, and may get a chance at making things better. While it would normally be easy, the stress of the crisis probably make it more difficult.
I hope you do.
Ranjit appears to have connections - he's found some new grav-stabilizers (Rolled a natural 12) in the garage of a yacht that hasn't visited since before the occupation. I saw them when some friends and I were mucking about after leaving a club is his only explanation - though the blush suggests that there may have been more than just "Mucking about".

He is then working through the rest of the list as the team prepare their suits and EVA gear. Can't be skipping an opportunity to check the suits

The team leader engages with Angelo and Jackson.

Can you get us within 50m and we'll jump the distance. We have 100m tethers so a miss won't be a disaster (though we'll try to avoid that). We'll aim for the centre of mass, and then work our way out to the ends - out movement should slow the rotation and make the stabilising easier. Who's the Remote Ops guy? (Jackson raises his hand) Well let us get secure before you start tweaking the controls - don't want you throwing us off.

Any suggestions?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Leitz »

"Quite right, I don't want to have to fly around the thing to pick you up again. Let me get a suggested course from Port, and we'll work on that. Assume we'll go about half as fast as we could go; this is risky business and we haven't worked together before." Angelo said. "How long can your people work for and stay alert? One hour? Two? Let's plan a break in there, with a reasonable task list. Get what we can done and then take a break to evaluate. Nothing is flying into the hospital in the next few hours, we have time."

He sat back a little, and shrugged. "I apologize if my solution isn't flashy or fancy. My main goal is for all of us to go home in one piece."

Angelo gave them the heads up after he double checked the astro-course Port Control had sent over. "Time to earn our pay."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Leitz wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:27 am "Quite right, I don't want to have to fly around the thing to pick you up again. Let me get a suggested course from Port, and we'll work on that. Assume we'll go about half as fast as we could go; this is risky business and we haven't worked together before." Angelo said. "How long can your people work for and stay alert? One hour? Two? Let's plan a break in there, with a reasonable task list. Get what we can done and then take a break to evaluate. Nothing is flying into the hospital in the next few hours, we have time."

He sat back a little, and shrugged. "I apologize if my solution isn't flashy or fancy. My main goal is for all of us to go home in one piece."

Angelo gave them the heads up after he double checked the astro-course Port Control had sent over. "Time to earn our pay."
Not flashy is fine - and we are paid by the hour!

And with that, the team scramble aboard.

The passenger seats are all taken with Jackson and the team. The team leader breaks out some chocolate. Imported from Shelter, this! Fantastic stuff but costs a fortune. I'm told it has a 0% VAT grown content. He shares pieces around.

after a few minutes, the ship is about halfway to the broken landing arm when the team leader looks up from his comms...Anyone heard of a Siwan Guard Captain called Tyr? - Apparently he's survived the crash: The guard are treating him like some form of injured demi-god.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Leitz »

"Heard of, never met," Angelo said. He paused, and then continued. "Doing things with their boarding troops, if I remember correctly. Which suggests that they are planning a lot of boarding, I suppose."

While Angelo would love to be thinking through an approach to Tyr, he kept Ranjit practicing on the sensors while he did his piloting. He knew his limits and preferred not to push his luck.

Roll 8 (6+1+1) for Pilot

Not sure what options there are for making connections. Ranjit needs the console time but his mind will keep going on the contact idea, so that's a win for us. Angelo will keep the idea boiling in his sub-conscious but actively focus on piloting. He's not really an adventurer, even if he plays one in the game. :)
Last edited by Leitz on Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The role of pilot is, in this case, not the most glamorous - fly to near the lose item - watch the crew float over to the rotating structure, and crawl their way slowly up it - and then watch as they float back...with Jackson then slowing the rotation using the attached pads. The most actual flying is when the whole show is slowed and the boat has to be slowed in concert - a fairly routine manoeuvre.

This gives Ranjit and Angelo a few minutes to talk while Ranjit watches for flying objects.

That crash is going to mean the Station is going to need supplies. Do you think that's why they hired us for a whole week - quick dash to wherever to pick them up?

If it is, I wonder if it will leave any space for us to bring anything for ourselves? If we could work out which station we were going to we might get some idea of what we could get (or take). After all, we'll probably have an empty hold as we go!

Is there anyone you know that might help find out in advance?

Should you choose to do so: To find a contact: 2d6+EDU DM+Skill DM

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Leitz »

"I'm sure we all have contacts, the question is, what are the right choices?" Angelo said. He thought for a moment, and then contacted (1) Force Leader Gurlin Lal. "Force Leader Lal, I know you are busy and I will be quick. My ship has four low berths and ten staterooms at your disposal if you need them in the current emergency; no charge. Power is minimal but functional. Your logistics skills are superb and I doubt you need anything. However, if you do, I will be setting up a logistics run as soon as we make the local space safe for transit." He paused. "Take care, my lady, and do not hesitate to let me help."

He took a deep, slow breath, and then smiled before sending the next comm. "Chief Buyer Anderson this is Angelo Domici. I will be organizing a logistics run to help with the current crisis as soon as we make local space transit safe. Probably the rest of the week, so if you have time and a list then I look forward to it. Domici out."

Angelo leaned back, and then looked at Ranjit. "Your turn, who do you know? There are different stake-holders here; those in need, those who have funds to invest, those who sell, and those who have transports but possibly not the funds to capitalize on such events. I have funds but a questionable ship. We can take that, or we can rent space on another hauler. We have a few days to decide and we've just let the military know that we'll help them as best we can."

1. Interactive Voice/video if possible; recording if not. Doing his best to Persuade her to take up the offer, if she needs it.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Leitz wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:45 pm "I'm sure we all have contacts, the question is, what are the right choices?" Angelo said. He thought for a moment, and then contacted (1) Force Leader Gurlin Lal. "Force Leader Lal, I know you are busy and I will be quick. My ship has four low berths and ten staterooms at your disposal if you need them in the current emergency; no charge. Power is minimal but functional. Your logistics skills are superb and I doubt you need anything. However, if you do, I will be setting up a logistics run as soon as we make the local space safe for transit." He paused. "Take care, my lady, and do not hesitate to let me help."

He took a deep, slow breath, and then smiled before sending the next comm. "Chief Buyer Anderson this is Angelo Domici. I will be organizing a logistics run to help with the current crisis as soon as we make local space transit safe. Probably the rest of the week, so if you have time and a list then I look forward to it. Domici out."

Angelo leaned back, and then looked at Ranjit. "Your turn, who do you know? There are different stake-holders here; those in need, those who have funds to invest, those who sell, and those who have transports but possibly not the funds to capitalize on such events. I have funds but a questionable ship. We can take that, or we can rent space on another hauler. We have a few days to decide and we've just let the military know that we'll help them as best we can."

1. Interactive Voice/video if possible; recording if not. Doing his best to Persuade her to take up the offer, if she needs it.
Ranjit looks at Angleo with surprise. Err...

...I dunno. I was looking at the scanners. Err...
Who's going to be flying your ship? Aren't we contracted to fly this vessel for a week?
And I thought you said it was a wreck?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Leitz »

"Think on a different scale, and from a different direction," Angelo said. "Is the Vita in need of repair? Certainly! It would take extra work to fly her now, but it could be done. Decent sized cargo hold, too. Now, if the only thing we can do to help in the current crisis is to fly this craft back and forth, we will do that. However, that won't let any of us reach our larger financial goals, will it? Remember, you're acting as an intern for me. Will that make you skilled and rich? I doubt it. You will learn a lot, I hope, and my plan for all of us is to become wealthier. But you need to plan on surpassing me; that's where you will find your own victory."

He smiled. "We agreed to run this craft for a few days, while the situation is hectic. That gives us time to think the situation through and to prepare. Running the Vita means more work, so the reward must be much higher. Which means we must not simply run off to buy something in the hopes that it has value, but that we can see what the unmet needs are. If the cost is great, we can find friends who are willing to invest with us. My reputation is that I arrange good deals and that I do right by my friends. This lets me use millions of credits that I might not otherwise have access to."

Keeping an eye on the work at hand, Angelo tapped the controls for a slight course correction. "So, we help now and build our plan for what comes next. Perhaps the Vita can't make the trip, but then perhaps we can buy space on another vessel and still make a profit? Things to consider, my friend."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Leitz »

Angelo smiled warmly, and send another comm. "Becka, mia bella, I am working to help with the current crisis and will miss tomorrow's dance practice. Please forgive me. We will be making the space lanes safe for a few days and I will be planning a buying trip in the near future. If you know of any significant opportunities, let's talk. I've also mentioned this to Chief Buyer Anderson, but I know she's busy."

"Let's plan on rescheduling dance practice, I'm three left feet most of the time."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Becka
It's OK - the teacher will be relieved. You are only really good at dancing when...well you know! She sounds slightly embarrassed by what she's said!

Look the place is a hornets nest and the boss is watching me! Some bigwig is coming in from the crash - with the Hooligans moving him to the front of the queue. Got to go. I'll talk once the rush is over

And she hangs up.

Ranjit
The boss is quite distracting when he monologs - and how he caught Becka is anyones guess - but he does have a certain charm!

Eyes-up boss: Those space jockeys are jumping back over

Angelo
Ranjit reminds you that you need to concentrate on your flying - if one misses, you'll be fishing for workers. Fortunately, they appear to be competent and all land back on the boat on their first attempt.

Team Leader & Jackson
OK Jackson - lets stabilise that thing.

OK Boss!

And the boom is slowly brought to a stand-still relative to the asteroid - and moved to 10km off.

And that, is that...Safe, simple and neatly done. So lets get back dirtside, get the suits recharged and get our heads down. We're off-shift. Captain, they want you to land, take a break and be ready for a cargo run in 12 hours. Emergency Coordinator has the details - and he wants to talk to you face to face.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Leitz »

"Ranjit, tell me about your friends that go through garages. Well, tell me via resumes, perhaps we can find more garages?" Angelo said, and smiled. "I'll review resumes after I rest. One page resume, to include an answer to 'how I can specifically help in the current crisis'. They might get hired, if we can find any saleable goods in those garages. I'm going to chat with the Emergency Coordinator and then sleep; be ready for any supply needs or tasks I send you."

When Jackson made it back, Angelo added, "Jackson, you heard the 'be ready to roll in twelve hours' plan? Can you make sure fuels, life-support, food, and whatever else you think we need is ready to go? Also, Ranjit is on the lookout for things we can transport and sell. If you think of something, let's talk about it. We have a few days on our agreement, and I'd like to be ready to move shortly thereafter. If we can take the Vita, so much the better. Risky, but you'll make the final call on that."

Once they set down and congratulated the Team on their work, Angelo went off to see the Emergency Coordinator. After that, sleep. Blessed sleep.

Return to “A new Heaven? A new Earth (Traveller)”