2nd Scroll - The Holy Mountain

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

2nd Scroll - The Holy Mountain

#1 Post by jemmus »

It is a brisk early winter morning. Haruto and Taisho rise before dawn and meet the pilgrims at their inn. Inside, various Fuji-san-themed woodblock prints adorn the walls. They artists seem to have relied more on romantic views and bright colors more than artistic skill or aesthetic judgment.
The pilgrims from Kofu are assembled and prepared for the day. The samurai couple, the merchant couple, the older ronin, and the old peasant woman. But the two budoka are missing.

The innkeeper approaches and announces, Two of the pilgrims send their apologies, but they are indisposed and have to delay their ascent of divine Fuji-san for a day or so. I will leave it to the pilgrims to decide whether to stay and wait for them, or proceed today. Should the pilgrims decide to wait, an additional gratuity of three silver per person per day will be required for the upkeep of the yojimbo bushi guides. Please discuss among yourselves. He adds, My own modest thought would be to travel together as a group, “Breaking three arrow one at a time across a knee is very easy. But breaking three bound together is very difficult indeed.” He looks on hopefully and expectantly, all but rubbing his hands together at the thought of the extra lodging and yojimbo fees.

The couples discuss among themselves. The samurai husband says, We will go.
The merchant husband squares his shoulder and says in a similar tone, We will go.
The old woman ponders a bit and looks in her cotton drawstring pouch, shakes it. A little expensive staying here, neh? I'll go.
The ronin bushi's lined and creased face goes immobile for some moments. I'll wait, he says. Ganbatte. He bows to everyone heads presumably to his room.

Your yojimbo are waiting for you outside, pilgrim-sama, the innkeeper says. Would you like to purchase so o-mamori amulets for the trip? Just consecrated at the Fuji-san shrine yesterday. One silver each. I personally would not think to scale divine Fuji-san without asking for the blessings of the kami.

Do Taisho and Haruto leave today, or wait for the two budoka? You can split into separate threads if you leave on different days. Do they buy o-mamori?
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2nd Scroll - The Holy Mountain

#2 Post by ffilz »

Taisho will follow Haruto's lead but is inclined to go today. Assuming we go, he will purchase an amulet.

If we are ascending today, Taisho will also offer blessings to everone ascending.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Haruto finds the delay suspicious... he is inclined to wait, allowing time to find out what befalls the two budoka in his brother's town, ensuring his sister-in-law doesn't have to deal with unfortunate circumstance. "I paid your first night's lodging, neh? Surely waiting for our companions is not too taxing?"

But he instead looks to Taisho and defers to the wiser cleric. Whatever Taisho decides is wise, Haruto will follow.

When the o-mamori are offered, he of course purchases one. His has his own propitations to Fuujin every day, but supporting those who support his brother's town is good as well.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:01 pm Haruto finds the delay suspicious... he is inclined to wait, allowing time to find out what befalls the two budoka in his brother's town, ensuring his sister-in-law doesn't have to deal with unfortunate circumstance. "I paid your first night's lodging, neh? Surely waiting for our companions is not too taxing?"

But he instead looks to Taisho and defers to the wiser cleric. Whatever Taisho decides is wise, Haruto will follow.

When the o-mamori are offered, he of course purchases one. His has his own propitations to Fuujin every day, but supporting those who support his brother's town is good as well.
Sounds like we wait, Haruto (I assume in privacy to Taisho) offers valid concerns and his brother's wife was such a gracious host to us, Taisho is indebted to Haruto's brother.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by jemmus »

The shugenja and the gakusho decide to wait and not join the departing group. The pilgrims bundle up in their garments, don their wide straw hats, take their pilgrim's staves, and join their yojimbo outside. The one-handed ashigaru wears dai-sho and the old, thin one carries a yari. Both wear pieces of ashigaru armor. The domed breast and back plates of the old one's hang down too far and are much wider than his narrow ribs. The younger one says to the pilgrims, So, everyone has decided to reach the shrine halfway up the mountain, then turn back and return to the village. We should be back around an hour after the sun sets. Please stay together and do not get strung out on the trail. If anyone sees a danger, please call out an alarm.

A little after noon that day, Haruto and Taisho hear the sound of the marching Minamoto, Takeda, and Matsumoto army. It marches through Fujikawa-cho and continues south along the Fujikawa River. They see Kentaro in his unit and Hiroshi in his. The fellow travelers and now companions all bow to each other. Haruto and his sister-in-law see his brother and father together in unit of Takeda cavalry. All likewise bow to each other. It remains unknown whether the nearby Taira army will enter the town, or the allied armies will fend them off. And it remains to be seen whether they will ever see the four bushi again.

Any actions for today?
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Haruto wants to find the two Budoka in town and ensure there is no trouble. He also inquires with his sister-in-law in case there are issues to handle.

He looks with pangs upon his brother and father riding to war... he should be with them, too, but just donning the war would aggravate his breathing and risk his health spasms. After dusk when alone in the night, he cannot bear it further. He enters a trance to scry upon his brother, his father. To hear their concerns and see that they are alright. When he hears the events with the ducks, he ponders wryly, If so little can cause the entire army to flee, then these battles are better won by a Shugenja than a host of Bushi.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by jemmus »

Haruto inquires about the budoka at the inn. A server girl says, One moment please, I will ask them if they will meet you. The female budoka arrives from a room and greets the shugenja. When she learns that he is inquiring after their well-being, she says, I'm so sorry we have inconvenienced you and the other pilgrims. But my colleague feels that today is an inauspicious day to climb Fuji-san. Own of our teachers is from Okinawa. He practices a kind of Chinese augury called I Ching. The yarrow sticks indicated something like, "Efforts are not enough to move forward, you must select the correct direction and illuminate the way with intelligence." It is not so common for the I Ching to recommend not proceeding. But once it did, and we stayed, and the inn we were to reach the next day burned to the ground. Two people became no longer present. And it was said that an angry ghost started the fire by causing a maid to drop a lantern. So now my colleague closely follows the I Ching's advice. Perhaps we will make the pilgrimage tomorrow.

Haruto and Taisho enjoy a nice day and evening at the shugenja's childhood home, now his brother's house. Haruto's sister-in-law Shizue is too samurai to reveal any hint of concern over her husband's and father-in-law's safety. But the children seems to sense that now something is different, and now is not the time for carefree playfulness.

The next morning, Shizue says, It is said that the pilgrims who departed yesterday did not return last night, as planned. I hope they are well and they will return soon.

Actions?
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Did he see anything of his brother with which he can reassure the wife?

Haruto makes sure the pilgrims return in the evening when expected.

The following day Haruto returns to the budoka to confirm it is a more auspicious beginning. They can then climb with Taisho, the old samurai, and hired yojimbo.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by jemmus »

It's the day after the army passed through Fujikawa-cho. Haruto's spell shows him that his brother is safely marching with the rest of the army south.

Haruto visits the inn and again calls on the budoka. This time both of them meet with him. Tomorrow will be auspicious for ascending Fuji-san, the young man, Saburo, says. But the pilgrims who departed yesterday did not return last night as expected. I fear something has happened to them. Well then, shall we depart tomorrow morning before dawn?
Last edited by jemmus on Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Is this in the evening, so we depart in the morning, or are they suggesting we wait another full day to leave the NEXT morning, with people missing?

Haruto looks to Taisho for counsel if they advise another day's wait.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:26 am It's the day after the army passed through Fujikawa-cho. Haruto's spell shows him that his brother safely marching with the rest of the army south.

Haruto visits the inn and again calls on the budoka. This time both of them meet with him. Tomorrow will be auspicious for ascending Fuji-san, the young man, Saburo, says. But the pilgrims who departed yesterday did not return last night as expected. I fear something has happened to them. Well then, shall we depart tomorrow morning before dawn?
Yes we shall. Before we retire, Taisho will offer blessings that will last until dawn. Can I just roll for those if we actually have cause to use them?

Then on the mountain, at dawn, Taisho will offer fresh blessings. He will also do a Karma trance.

He will be watching for any signs of what happened to those who ascended today. Would it be appropriate to invoke a Kami to ask about them? He's not going to try and invoke the Kami of Fuji-san... Too high a rank (it doesn't seem to actually be listed but I can imagine...)

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by jemmus »

He's suggesting leaving the next morning before dawn. That would allow a round-trip in one day, if that's what people what to do. If you leave now (it's after dawn), you'd spend quite a bit of the return trip hiking in darkness. Do Taisho and Haruto intend to stay overnight to see the sunrise from Fuji?

Haruto, though he's had a rather isolated youth at the shrine, picks up on the social cues. It's obvious that both budoka are of the heimin caste. And he knows that the budoka Saburo is behaving as a peasant speaking to someone of a much higher social station. The people of Nippon in that position are not expected to say what's on their minds or ask of the other person's plans, and certainly to make suggestions about what should be done. He looks and Saburo and his companion Rumi. He has seen that they have the confidence and poise gained from hard training. But they hide it behind deference, and only stand there before the young samurai patiently smiling.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by jemmus »

ffilz wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:40 am Yes we shall. Before we retire, Taisho will offer blessings that will last until dawn. Can I just roll for those if we actually have cause to use them?

Then on the mountain, at dawn, Taisho will offer fresh blessings. He will also do a Karma trance.

He will be watching for any signs of what happened to those who ascended today. Would it be appropriate to invoke a Kami to ask about them? He's not going to try and invoke the Kami of Fuji-san... Too high a rank (it doesn't seem to actually be listed but I can imagine...)
I think you need to roll for the nighttime blessings to see how much shugendo Taisho gets. Then in the morning again, so that Haruto knows if he has a blessing to spend. Don't forget to update your sheet with the shugendo gains. And you guys don't forget to use your blessings bonuses. I said I wouldn't remind you about that again, but I did. :)

Invoking a kami to find out what happened to the missing pilgrims is fine. I'll have to read again about what's involved in that. The kami of Fuji-san is a vast one, and as elemental as Fuujin-kami, kami of the wind. She's the kami of not just Fuji-san, but of all of the volcanoes of Nippon. There are a lot of them. Her name is Konohana-sakuya-hime, ("cherry blossoming princess)." Cherry blossoms are the soul of the family and all that is good and right with the world in Nippon. Like Fuujin, she's one of the kami who lived on the Earth long before Nippon and humans were created. She has appeared in Nippon only once-- to aid a pilgrim. He saw her as a beautiful, rather shy, and kind young woman in a pure white kimono, looking from a spot on a shaded woodlands trail in the distance.

In this game, invoking any kami will involve going to the Kakuri-yo Hidden World realm of the kami, and moving about as a human traveling in its own kami manifestation. The more times anyone does that, and the higher level the go in their profession, the more chance of drawing the attention of the greater kami is. As are the chances to become favored and invited to solely devote to a particular kami. That's generally a good thing. But travelers to this realm know that demons live there too, and some of them can manifest in bodies on Nippon. Without really knowing it. For example, bakemono-sho. Hungry man-eaters who don't full know that their little kami on the other side are thriving or hurting according to the misery to humans they cause. The bakemono-sho feed on the bodies, and their kami feed on the misery and suffering.

And it can go the other way. Getting attention in the Hidden World can be a conveyance for getting presence in Nippon. A pathway, and perhaps even a physical body. A live one or a dead one, a collaboration with and an evil old cat, the body of a battlefield bushi reunited with its head dropped by a fleeing enemy.... The possibilities are about limitless. When men kill thousands of other men in war in the Open World of Nippon. And privation comes to everyone, and peasants steal food from their neighbors, merchants hire thugs, samurai fear and betray. Only ninja and demons thrive in such times. The demons of the kakuri-yo peer hard, chuckle, and plan.

The discip
Last edited by jemmus on Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Because spell use needs to be consequential, I haven't been recording Shugendo unless you say so. "I scry on my family" has been worked into roleplay, but I haven't been assuming.

(I don't think I understand what you're implying about social cues.)

With Taisho's affirmation, Haruto also confirms they will set off early in the morning before the dawn. He and Taisho intend to climb and then also stay overnight, and invite the others to stay for the dawn as well.

Is it just the two budoka, or is the old samurai also coming? Any of the rest of the company? Hired yojimbos?

Haruto thanks his sister-in-law, and tells her what his visions have shown, they are yet safe and marching onward. "We will pray for the protection of the kami upon him, and upon father." Which he then does, and will do upon Mount Fuji.

Any decisions, or are we heading out?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:20 am
ffilz wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:40 am Yes we shall. Before we retire, Taisho will offer blessings that will last until dawn. Can I just roll for those if we actually have cause to use them?

I think you need to roll for the nighttime blessings to see how much shugendo Taisho gets. Then in the morning again, so that Haruto knows if he has a blessing to spend. Don't forget to update your sheet with the shugendo gains. And you guys don't forget to use your blessings bonuses. I said I wouldn't remind you about that again, but I did. :)
OK, who all is accompanying us?

The dawn blessing will occur partway up the mountain.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by jemmus »

The man budoka ventures, If the samurai-san intends to stay the night on Fuji-san and see the sunrise tomorrow, then we can leave now. The pilgrims who didn't return may be in trouble, and if we leave sooner we may have more chance of helping them. The bushi pilgrim here at the inn intends to view the sunrise also. He has said that he can depart for the mountain at any time.

Since you plan to spend the night on Fuji-san, you don't have to leave at tomorrow predawn for a round-trip. The group will be Taisho, Haruto, Saburo (budoka), Rumi (budoka) and the ronin bushi. Do Haruto and Taisho want to leave today?
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Haruto agrees.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:56 pm The man budoka ventures, If the samurai-san intends to stay the night on Fuji-san and see the sunrise tomorrow, then we can leave now. The pilgrims who didn't return may be in trouble, and if we leave sooner we may have more chance of helping them. The bushi pilgrim here at the inn intends to view the sunrise also. He has said that he can depart for the mountain at any time.

Since you plan to spend the night on Fuji-san, you don't have to leave at tomorrow predawn for a round-trip. The group will be Taisho, Haruto, Saburo (budoka), Rumi (budoka) and the ronin bushi. Do Haruto and Taisho want to leave today?
We shall depart immediately then.

Taisho will attempt a trance:

Was actually BCS 12 (I forgot to include the training for the skills on my character sheet) but still fails...

Taisho will bless the group

Everyone but Haruto has a blessing +6 on all BCS (Karma 55/10). Taisho's is a crit (was that double effect?) When the blessing is called on, the character can roll [2d3] for duration.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by jemmus »

Wow, +6, that's pretty powerful. I think before when there was crit on a blessing, the character got two blessings for that day.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by jemmus »

If the samurai-san, and gakusho-san wish to depart this morning, Saburo says, We will prepare now. And we will inform the bushi-san. Haruto notes that the young heimin man isn't so presumptuous as to say "shugenja-san" and guess at his profession. Let us meet here in a quarter of an hour. He and his companion Rumi bow and depart.

At the designated time, the rugged, middle-aged ronin appears. He wears the usual pilgrim garb, but it appears that under it is a samurai armor cuirass. Dai-sho are at his waist. But he carries a pilgrim's staff and wears a pilgrim's wide straw hat rather than a bushi's kabuto. He bows at the waist to Haruto and Taisho and says the usual Yoroshiku, onegai shimasu. He doesn't make eye contact or announce his name. It seems that he doesn't intend to establish any long-term relationships with the fellow pilgrims.

Saburo and Rumi reappear, also in pilgrim garb and with pilgrim's staves. We are ready, Rumi says. The pilgrims, including the taciturn ronin, bow their heads to receive Taisho's blessings. Just in time, the innkeeper spots what's going on and hurries over. Ah, the honored pilgrims are departing for sacred Fujin-san! The bushi yojimbo guides have not yet returned. I recommend that you hire a guide to get you through the Sea of Trees and to the trailhead. Many people get lost in the forest, you know. He looks the group over and does a quick calculation. Not a bushi, I regret, but you know how it is with the war and all. Five silver moons.

Now the ronin speaks, his eyes hidden below the rim of his wide hat. He says sternly, You contracted with us for four bushi guides and gave the other group only two. Ten copper for you and I'll give the guide himself four silver. The innkeeper doesn't dare object. [Hai, arigato gozaimasu! Be careful and have a safe trip!

Before long an ancient, stooped peasant man who seems to be about on his last legs meets the group outside. He's bundled up in thick winter clothing and wears a straw raincoat and heimin farmer's hat. He's got two water crocks and a packed furoshiki. He bows and looks in the pilgrim's faces with gray, slightly filmed-over eyes. He mutters in a monotone. I'll guide you through forest and then back to the town. This old body isn't strong enough to go to the top and back again. Be careful in the forest, please. Don't pick fruit or flowers. Don't gather nuts. Don't go mushroom picking. If you know how to use magic, it's better not to use it. Don't wash your feet and wipe your face with the water of any beautiful brook. If you see a beautiful sight, don't wander off sightseeing. If you a gold koban or a sea turtle shell comb, don't take it. Don't pick up a tanto in a fine lacquered sheathe. It's like he's going through a list of things that he's seen go wrong. Don't sing songs, laugh, or chat loudly. Do not whistle a happy tune.

He thinks a minute and continues. Do not stroll along as a couple and speak of this and that that couples speak of. If someone died or is facing death... better not to think about them until you're on Fuji-san. Don't follow any trails. Just follow my back, without looking around. Well then, let's go.

Actions? Any questions for the guide before you reach the forest?
PCs

Return to “Honor or Death (FGU Bushido)”