Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Action Thread #7 - The Other Side of the Mountains

#61 Post by Stonjuz »

Knowing the danger, Stonjuz holds in the laugh stirring inside, but cannot help but say, "Those birds are gonna be t'eed off even MORE when we blow all this dirt out that front door."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Hey, fellows. Not sure if you can see from where you are, but the last visitor to this room got a knife in the ribs. I'm guessing it was the cleaning wench.

I'm gonna see if I can't hook it and drag it over to get a better look. I don't wanna step in there yet with all the dust. Who knows what lies under it?

Ozborn removes his grappling hook and rope and attempts to toss it just beyond the skeleton in an effort to hook some part of it and drag it back to the door. Maybe in the process he'll clear away some of this dust...

Not sure what kind of roll is needed here. Here's a d20 (Dexterity?):
[1d20] = 10

Unless someone tries to stop him, in which case he's open to ideas for how to proceed.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#63 Post by Sir Clarence »

"Here's my staff, if you want to test the floor." Andrin hands Ozborn his oaken staff if the thief wants it.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Afternoon - Eastern Platfrom/The Tower

Ozborn swings his grappling hook and hits the intended target. The old, corroded bones of the skeleton do not resist the impact shatter as the metal hook falls on them. It is obvious dragging the skeleton in anything resembling a cohesive whole will be impossible. Andrin offers his staff to the thief to aid him in trap detection.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#65 Post by Stonjuz »

"This guy has probably been up here just as long as the drawven ghost has been in the tower. What catastophe must have befallen these lands so distant from now? Anything I can do to help you lads?"

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh peers into the chamber to see if he can see anything of interest or note. He won't cross the threshold into the room yet.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#67 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor uses his spear to check the ground ahead and if no risk is evident he will step in the room.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Sir Clarence wrote:"Here's my staff, if you want to test the floor." Andrin hands Ozborn his oaken staff if the thief wants it.
After seeing that his skeleton grappling efforts will be futile, Ozborn accepts the staff that Andrin is offering. "Thanks, Andrin. Let's see what we can find here." Using the staff to prod ahead of him and feel for any irregularities in the floor ahead of him, he starts making his way across to the nearest of the dust covered boxes, or over to where the skeleton lies, whichever is closer. "Careful, Ogirdor. I guess that goes without saying. I'm worried about pressure plates and the like. I'd rather not discover them the hard way..."

When he gets near enough to one of the boxes, he will prod it to see what it's made of / how heavy it seems, etc. If all seems safe he will examine it more closely to see if it can be opened.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#69 Post by Stonjuz »

"Dont forget to look fer footprints over there.
I can cast Boccob's Detect Magic after you get done and the place is physicalled and all, 'fore ya go touching everything.
But Im pretty sure Ill have to rest soon afta that.
If the place IS magical, and I cant be sure, you may want to shield your eyes when that spell goes off in here.
But not yet.... do what you is doing first."

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor has been lost in thought, his mind taking him back to... someplace else. He suddenly shakes his head, his grin returns to its usual spot on his face, and he says, "What's that? Of course I can detect magic, my dwarven friend. But no, nothing to blow away this dust, I'm afraid." With that, he looks up to note what the ceiling is like in this place. Is it vaulted? Domed? Anything hanging around up there? Then he lets his sight sink into that place where magical items glow lively. Thurinor scans the entire room, as far as his magical sight will reach, and warns immediately of any auras.

OOC: Sorry fellows, got busy and also never got any email notifications for the last several posts, so didn't think I had missed much. Must have got into my spam somehow. Anyway...

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#71 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Afternoon - Eastern Platfrom/The Tower

The walls are bare and have no windows, the ceiling is flat and nothing hangs from it. The dust has not footprints except the ones the PCs are leving behind.

Several of the companions penetrate the room to investigate. Ogirdor prods with his spear, Ozborn with the staff that Andrin lent him.

The boxes appear to be wooden lockers in bad condition. They do not appear to have any locks. The skeleton, clearly a dwarf now that it can be seen up close, was slumped right by one of them.

Thurinor follows his party members and beings using his witchsight to search the room for magical auras. He finds none.

[1d6] = 2

However, he does discover something else. On the western wall near the corner where it meets the northern one there is a concealed compartment of some sort, 1 foot square.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Vargr1105 wrote:The boxes appear to be wooden lockers in bad condition. They do not appear to have any locks. The skeleton, clearly a dwarf now that it can be seen up close, was slumped right by one of them.
Ozborn examines the box nearest the deceased dwarf to see if it seems to be trapped in any way.

"What do you think, Ogirdor? Shall I try to open one of these wooden lockers? What could go wrong, right? Perhaps I could hook my grapple to the lid and try to open it from the doorway... Thurinor? I'm open to suggestions." he yells over his shoulder.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin waits outside, keeping an eye on the other tunnel and the sky, should the crows decide to return.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor grins at Oz: "Sounds as good a plan as any I know. And there is a concealed panel of some sort back here...," gesturing, "that you might also want to check, though I doubt your grapple trick will work on it. Might be trapped, or it might not. Aren't we having a lovely time now?"

Thurinor's curious hands are clearly having trouble keeping themselves from trying to open the compartment before Oz can check it...

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#75 Post by zebediah »

ChubbyPixie wrote:
"What do you think, Ogirdor? Shall I try to open one of these wooden lockers? What could go wrong, right? Perhaps I could hook my grapple to the lid and try to open it from the doorway... Thurinor? I'm open to suggestions." he yells over his shoulder.
Good idea Oz, we should check everything here but there is no need to take unnecessary risks while doing so.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz stays back and lets the others investigate. He tries to position himself near Andrin and watches elsewhere.
"I'll be over here, scannin' about too."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by ChubbyPixie »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Thurinor grins at Oz: "Sounds as good a plan as any I know. And there is a concealed panel of some sort back here...," gesturing, "that you might also want to check, though I doubt your grapple trick will work on it. Might be trapped, or it might not. Aren't we having a lovely time now?"

Thurinor's curious hands are clearly having trouble keeping themselves from trying to open the compartment before Oz can check it...
"Hmmm. Concealed panel? ...ah, yes, I see it now. Nicely spotted. Well, now I'm curious. How about I check that out first, then grapple with the box?" Ozborn will make his way through the dust, prodding as before with the staff. He won't approach it directly, but will move up to the east wall and along it until he reaches the panel. Then he will check it over for traps - any mechanism that could release darts or poison gas or... rusty daggers.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#78 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 4 - Afternoon - Eastern Platform/The Tower

Ozborn prods his way to the concealed panel Thurinor found and checks the premisses for hidden dangers using his roguish expertize. He notes the panel is indeed trapped. A 5-foot square section of the floor right in front it is rigged to open if the panel is disturbed.

Andrin keeps a lookout but sees no sings of the birds returning.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by saalaria »

Varg - whats the gap in the wall in the middle of the bottom?

Swilbosh stands ready, outside the entrance in case things get spicy for the lads inside...

"Pleasssse be a way to thossse birdsss....pleasssse, pleasssse"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Vargr1105 wrote:Day 4 - Afternoon - Eastern Platform/The Tower

Ozborn prods his way to the concealed panel Thurinor found and checks the premisses for hidden dangers using his roguish expertize. He notes the panel is indeed trapped. A 5-foot square section of the floor right in front it is rigged to open if the panel is disturbed.
"On your toes, fellas. There's some flooring here in front of the panel rigged to drop away. I'm going to attempt to trip it. I'd recommend not standing right... here."
Oz stands to the side of the trap and raps on the panel with Andrin's staff, attempting to cause the floor trap to fall open. If that doesn't work, he'll try to hook a corner of the panel with the point of a dagger to pry it open and get a peek inside. All while not standing over the trap, of course.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”