Character Generation

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Generation

#81 Post by ffilz »

Yea, we sort of stalled out... I owe a response about the type of ghost in the first game thread...

I hope I can get us unstalled soon, though I will be out of town next week, but bringing laptop with, so we'll see.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by jemmus »

I'm posting in the IC game thread now. Seems I forgot to subscribe to it, therefore didn't get any notifications.... :oops:
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:24 pm I'm posting in the IC game thread now. Seems I forgot to subscribe to it, therefore didn't get any notifications.... :oops:
Ah, you can subscribe to the whole sub-forum which means you will automatically be subscribed to any new threads.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Starbeard »

I'm still here. Ikuzo!

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by jemmus »

Got it, thanks. I'm going to lift a story from my wife's family lore about Grandpa Sanpei for Kiyoshi's character and backstory. Not what Kiyoshi has actually done, but for what he's up to.

Strong Sanpei, of the samurai Ikeda clan, set out from home and his little town on a sword quest. He would travel Nippon, looking for challenges and ways to perfect his skill with his swords. On the road, deep in the woods, he met a beautiful girl traveling alone. He immediately suspected her of being a kitsune. Good morning, bushi-san, she said.

Sanpei, knowing that fox wouldn't know how to behave as a human and interact with one, picked up a small stone and held it over his head. The supposed kitsune did the same.

Then he picked up a bigger one and held it over his head. The now confirmed kitsune did the same.

Then strong Sanpei grunted and hefted a huge one and managed to hold it over his head. The kitsune did the same, but she didn't have the strength for it. Its knees buckled and the rock came down on it. [It's unclear whether that finished it, or Grandpa Sanpei dispatched the kitsune otherwise. But the way it's told, the rock did the job].

Grandpa Sanpei continued up the road. But in the next village, he met a beautiful, real human girl. They got married and he stayed in the village. And that was the beginning of the Kozai family. And the end of his sword quest. The story always ends with a laugh, some embarrassment, and another laugh-- "He only got to the next village!"

[Players in the Honor or Death Bushido game will recognize this story. And Marullus from an old 5E game may recognize it too. (The druid character's story about the elf druid who set out on a "wisdom quest," spied beautiful elf maidens bathing, married the brave one, and only got to the next village). All stolen from this one. :)
PCs

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Starbeard »

"When Grandpa Sanpei came to the village he saw another beautiful girl, so he found a small rock and held it over his head. 'Bushi-san, you spend too much time with foxes', she said." :D

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by jemmus »

:lol:
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Marullus »

I liked that story! :)

Something wonky with the site... not getting any notifications for the past couple weeks, even if subscribed. I am trying to still check in as often as I get to sit down and do so.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:47 am I liked that story! :)

Something wonky with the site... not getting any notifications for the past couple weeks, even if subscribed. I am trying to still check in as often as I get to sit down and do so.
Yes, email notifications are not happening. Also PhP errors (which are probably connected).

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by jemmus »

It turns out that I left out an important part of the Grandpa Sanpei story. He was a poor village samurai. (In Bushido, maybe Samurai Caste, low rank). Before left on his sword quest, he announced it to everybody in the village and they gave him a big send off. "Ganbatte! (fight/persevere/good luck!)," all that.

The beautiful girl in the next village was the daughter of a rich merchant. So poor samurai Sanpei did pretty well for himself. But he was embarrassed to tell anyone back home that he only made it to the next village. So for a some months or years, everybody thought he was wandering Japan having sword quest adventures, while actually he was in the next village, married and living a good, quiet life.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001] The Adventure Starts

#91 Post by Marullus »

I hadn't looked at gear. I would like him to have far less coins, so please spend it on practical things.

He has a long-eared donkey named Yagi.
donkey-with-long-ears-in-an-alley-morocco-P0AT1T.jpg
donkey-with-long-ears-in-an-alley-morocco-P0AT1T.jpg (163.51 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Edited: Holy cow that's a big photo! Sorry, didn't look like that on my phone.

Also (on the donkey):
Some food
Water skins
Bedroll
50' rope
Tarp
Extra pick and shovel
(tarp, rope, and diggingtools key to being a gravedigger)
Burnable rags and pickings
(they cremate and don't embalm)

Then buying for this trip:
Frankincense resin for driving away spirits
A tiny silver bell for summoning spirits
Red ribbon for binding things
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Marullus »

Looking at Bankei's sheet. I don't see any skills? I am not sure how that landed. I want to roleplay towards his correct skills and knowledges.

Bankei Sheet

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by ffilz »

OK, I'll take care of adding those items to your sheet.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:47 pm Looking at Bankei's sheet. I don't see any skills? I am not sure how that landed. I want to roleplay towards his correct skills and knowledges.

Bankei Sheet
The non-combat skills are on the worksheet tab. I should do something to pull them onto the first tab also... Currently they are rather abstract on rating beyond the level of skill.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:35 pm I hadn't looked at gear. I would like him to have far less coins, so please spend it on practical things.

He has a long-eared donkey named Yagi.
donkey-with-long-ears-in-an-alley-morocco-P0AT1T.jpg

Also (on the donkey):
Some food
Water skins
Bedroll
50' rope
Tarp
Extra pick and shovel
(tarp, rope, and diggingtools key to being a gravedigger)
Burnable rags and pickings
(they cremate and don't embalm)

Then buying for this trip:
Frankincense resin for driving away spirits
A tiny silver bell for summoning spirits
Red ribbon for binding things
I'm not sure how to price the Frankincense, I don't see it in Land of the Rising Sun.

I have not seen any indication of any camping gear like bedrolls, what I've read is that travelers just curl up in their cloak.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Marullus »

Whatever you decide is fine. He has entirely too much money, so converting it to theme-appropriate goods works for me.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:53 pm Whatever you decide is fine. He has entirely too much money, so converting it to theme-appropriate goods works for me.
Well, now he's down to 12 silver and 23 copper. Actually, need to add some harness and such for the donkey. I may just rule a few silver for the incense. I'm guessing you would be happy with maybe a silver or two remaining and some copper?

Oh, lockpick kit, 10 s... And I already had incense at 1 c, 10 of those. Now you have 13 copper left...

Now I just need to load it all on the donkey.

A few more items and you're down to 27 copper. Hmm, the 30-1 copper-silver exchange makes for some fat purses...
Last edited by ffilz on Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Marullus »

Sounds good to me!

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by ffilz »

Now we just need to get the other two ready for the road...

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by jemmus »

Could Kiyoshi buy another quiver and full load of arrows to load onto the horse? I'm not sure if he does have a horse, but it looks like he does. If not, another full quiver that he'll pack, and maybe stash somewhere before entering combat-likely places, if the encumbrance is high. Otherwise the sheet looks good.
PCs

Return to “Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron)”