Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Barrow Mounds: Mummy, the Return.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

Helix village, Duchy of Aerik.

May 20th 1066.
8.00am
Weather: good, light breeze, cloudy.
Heavy mist upon the Barrow Moor restricts visibility to 60'ft.

Conditions: none.

After a hearty breakfast at the inn, taking a large trestle and benches to gather and feast upon bowls of honeyed porridge oats, (eaten standing up as Highland tradition dictates), extra rashers of bacon and freshly toasted bread.

A large group, fronted by Moriartus. Plans have been laid to trek south to the Barrow Mounds and return to 'The Mummy Barrow' and search for extra concealed rooms. To aid the tunnelling and excavations, the Mercenary Guild have covered the cost of some experienced miners and equipped a pack mule Eeyore to haul a small cart along.

Also joining from the guild is Two-Birds, a cleric of Silvanus.

Bolstering the group are some new characters, Dalin, a dwarf just returned from a curtailed expedition that ended when some members became infected with a fungal disease. Venwynn, a ranger who has been scouting the Blackened Forest and humanoid tribes near a marble shrine.

Dougal, Fydmar & Cadeweed return to the Barrows, a little wiser and wealthier than before.

I am just halting here as one more new character arrives in town, Durgo who you could add to the team if he posts in the Brazen Strumpet thread.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Barrow Mounds: Mummy, the Return.

#2 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo comes in all of 6ft tall wearing Hide armor and strutting his young 17 yrs of age, Man, I'm hungery for some breakfast. He waits for the server to acknowledge him and asks, "Oats, bacon and bread please. A nice breakfast drink too."

Durgo looks around the room and adds, "I'm looking for work if'n there's any to be had. I can fight good enough and I got a strong back."

Durgo goes about eating his breakfast and offers 3 copper extra for the food. He minds his own business hoping an offer is available for work.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

I have reposted this message in the Brazen Strumpet Tavern thread, so go ahead and recruit him and then I will update this as you trek away.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Procures a freshly slaughtered pig and has it delivered to the expedition's cart. -3gp

Was a door of some kind included with the supplies? Just checking as he mentioned it to Osen.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

As it happens, Dalin was travelling with Eeyore the mule previously and it was carrying a two piece oak door with metal reinforcements.

Made to measure for 'The Potter's Barrow, it might suffice with some extra framing for securing another portal.

A pig carcass is supplied from the Helix abattoir.

Helix village, Duchy of Aerik.

May 20th 1066.
10.00am

Dougal and Venwynn lead the way, following a meandering trail through the peat bogs that winds south into the Barrow Moor interior. The path, though well travelled is still unfamiliar for little observable features are seen beyond thickets of tall marsh grass and crooked trees. The terrain is generally level ground but deep furrows and ruts carved by receding waters and boggy pools make an ever changing landscape.

A few yards behind them the two dwarves, Fydmar and Dalin walk abreast followed by Moriartus and Two-Birds, the quartet of miners with the pack mule and bringing up the rear, Cadeweed and Durgo.

A couple of miles into the Moor and you are in the vicinity that Dalin trekked when his group were assailed by the Fungicides. Though no lurking predators are ambushing you, the sense of eerie dread and that 'we are being watched' feeling is ever present.

everyone post here and include a 1d6 roll in your post please.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus plods along, his staff sinking into the soft earth of the moor with every step. He is quiet and contemplative on the dreary hike, the usual lit cigar to improve his mood is missing from his free hand. In fact, those astute enough may recall he drank much less wine in the tavern, as well.

It was certainly another oddity, as he typically carried a bottle of the premier accommodation's complimentary wine. Whatever the reason, one morning he emerged from his room with a significantly tighter control of his vices.

[1d6]=5

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo replies to the individual, I haven't been to the "Mound" yet. Dwarf Erik ey, and you might be? So, what's this Mound place all about? I have to say I don't know my way around Helix very well.

To everyone, "If you need me to lead us to a place just let me know where to go."

[1d6]=2
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#8 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin looks to Fydmar the experienced scout and sighs "Well newbie. The mounds hide all sorts of foes so best be on your toes." the dwarf chuckles a bit not having intedid to talk in rhyme. As he takes a second scouting position to try and double their scout coverage between him and Fydmar. "Keep your eyes peeld and head on a swivel Durgo." he offers as advice for being in the mounds.

Requested Roll [1d6]=1
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Burial mounds." He states abruptly in clarification to Durgo's question. "Contructed centuries ago, they dot the Barrowmoor's landscape. Where we are heading to though, is a wide meadow a day's journey south of Helix that contains a large cluster of these tumuli. The area is corrupted and the undead are a persistent threat to explorers ... and worse."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo's first thought is, "I guess I'm in the shit now. He's both brave and scared shitless, thankful he's wearing brown pants."

He asks making sure to keep his voice steady, "Sooo, have you encountered anything yet and how the best way of fighting some of these things. I haven't really fought much of anything yet and only sparred with other humans. I'm yours to command my new friends to the betterment of the group. I shall act on my own accord if not directed otherwise. My dad once told me that nothing ventured - nothing gained. He also said that information was power and I'm short on information. Teach me to be an adventurer and I shall be a better sword for you.

Durgo gathers his courage and draws his sword and prepares his shield arm. He has a lantern and only uses it should they need the extra light.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

The ranger scouts ahead of the group and, at one of those moments when he rejoins then to report on what he sees, he makes a remark concerning the powerful undead that can be found in the burial mounds. "They're very powerful, tae the point that my sword dinna dae anything against that mummy. What can ye dae in a situation lake that? Run. That's all that's left."

[1d6]=4

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

"Durgo, the land is wild and many of us carry an image of a foe we are looking to take down. Perhaps we have just heard about it or we barely escaped with our life from it. I am sure over the campfire you will get to hear some of those tales."

Random d6 [1d6]=6

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
(to Dalin) Rumor has it that Eric the Red's planned expedition is likely to have a high death rate for little gain. That's put a damper on my enthusiasm.
(to all) Yeah, but we took out that mummy now didn't we. (smiles)
He keeps his X-bow in hand and ready as he scans the area.
[1d6]=2

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by tarlyn »

Karaunios wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:05 pm Dougal

The ranger scouts ahead of the group and, at one of those moments when he rejoins then to report on what he sees, he makes a remark concerning the powerful undead that can be found in the burial mounds. "They're very powerful, tae the point that my sword dinna dae anything against that mummy. What can ye dae in a situation lake that? Run. That's all that's left."

[1d6]=4

Venwynn

"True, DOugal but cain't a priest do something against the undead? Rumors I heard probably just an old wives tale."

[1d6]=6
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

scottjen wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:39 pm Fydmar
(to Dalin) Rumor has it that Eric the Red's planned expedition is likely to have a high death rate for little gain. That's put a damper on my enthusiasm.
(to all) Yeah, but we took out that mummy now didn't we. (smiles)
He keeps his X-bow in hand and ready as he scans the area.
[1d6]=2
Dalin to Fydmar "Nonsense, the reward is in the journey and showing proper respect to our lineage."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
(to Dalin) Didn't say I wouldn't go, mind.
Just so we can fight better as a team, what weapons do you favor?

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin pats his crossbow "Well this has done some good by me. I throw axes, and swing swords as well as a club when times call for it." the dwarf says with a bit of a smile hoping this clears the information up as to what weapons he uses.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, south west of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

May 20th 1066.
8.00am

The group pause, walking slower through the area where Dalin previously encountered the Fungicides. Strange skeletal undead, animated by a corrupt fungi that belched poison who sought to infect the living with a necrotic disease.

It is not creeping things lurking in the grasses that dare to predate upon the group. Dalin, crossbow in hand, points his trusty weapon skywards as he aims towards an imaginary target whilst talking weapons and creatures with the group. It is that action that helps him alone catch sight of large bat-like wings flying above that circle around in the mist. In the thick veil, the gray silhouette is hard to see against the swirling fog. But definitely the creature seems to have turned around intent in swooping in.

the 1 in 6 success from Dalin means the group is not surprised. The dwarfs calls out as a large winged creature, lithe and sleek like a lizard with a tail as long as its body.

Those who met Greybeard will remember his story of how one
Stavro was taken by a winged beast. His death cry was all we heard and the torch he dropped the only memory left behind, that and his blood pooling on the ground.
Those equipped with range weapons may attack (or take cover) others needs to ready an action as the dragon-kin swoops, death from above.

initiative and actions please.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed will stay quiet and take cover by the nearest tree and sling a bullet at the dragon-like beast.

Initiative [1d6]=5
Attack with Sling[1d20+2]=2+2=4, Damage with Sling Bullet S/M [1d4+1]=1+1=2 L [1d6+1]=2+1=3

Marking that as a lost sling bullet

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Will find the nearest cover to hide in & fire his X-bow.
initiative [1d6]=6
X-bow attack [1d20+2]=3+2=5

Return to “Completed Expeditions”