Meeting With Pelltar

OGRE MAGE
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Meeting With Pelltar

#21 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"As of now, these three items are the only material evidence we have directly linked to the assassin. We also have a possible person of interest related to each item."

"However, we must confirm these items were indeed in their possession to positively identify them as such."

"Does Balmorrow own a lute with a missing golden string, Abraham a garment with a missing red leather button, and is the whale on Harper's golden holy symbol bereft of a matching red ruby eye?"
Last edited by Quonundrum on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Spearmint »

Redgrave

Simmers. "Pelltar with respect. If we are confined to quarters, we should start with proper planning and considerations of what we do know.

These three men were seen coming in but not out? Do they skip by the sleeping guard or exit through the servants quarters. Pay a bribe for a guard to turn a blind eye or stay the night in some Keep room with a lady of fancy. What do they gain from murdering the Baron?"

He paces about the room, looking at the books and trinkets on the mages shelves. He is not trying to find any clues in them but he is flustered and tries not to raise it among the group as an issue.

Basically Redgrave, like all dwarves has an innate resistance to magic and though acknowledges we might all carry and use such enhanced or superior crafted items, to use one without the others knowledge could be taken the wrong way. With Lestrad focusing his 'shimmering glasses' on everyone and the items, (without checking sheets or inventories) Redgrave might feel he has had someone cast a Detect Magic spell upon him. Which makes him uncomfortable.

Just some dwarven roleplay.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling

"Master dwarf, be at peace. We are pitting our skills not to take advantage of each other but to solve a crime and bring some justice and closure to the tragic events. I am sure Pelltar values us all equally and each has a vital role to play in solving this mystery. Let us not get off on the wrong foot with suspicions about motives amongst ourselves."

He takes his quill and three paper pieces from his notebook, headlining each with a suspect's name;

Harper, the high priest.

Balmorrow, the bard.

Abraham, the innkeeper.

"So, anything we can find out we add to each sheet. Collect data, strands of information, rumours, where they go, who they see. Then
we can begin to unravel any threads."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

Lestadt curiously peers at the pacing dwarf through his odd, shimmering lenses, although perhaps a little too long for the dwarf's sensibilities.

"We also know each person of interest was seen by the south gate guard entering the town about an hour apart, starting at 7 PM the night of the murder."

"Draxon is correct. For all three to arrive on the same night mere hours before the murder is quite coincidental. Unless ... one or more were impostors in disguise."

"Abraham placed an order with a wine merchant. Presumably, this is something he does periodically. I suggest we interview the merchant to confirm. We can also determine what was ordered and verify it against Abraham's testimony."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by dmw71 »

Her attempt to conceal a flash of anger after Pelltar bungles her name fails. Anyone paying attention -- which is everyone -- can easily catch a not-so-subtle glare she sends in their host's direction.

She defiantly crosses her arms across her chest; then, after her forearms fall to rest on her bosom, an uneasy look crosses her face and she shakes her head uncomfortably while quickly uncrossing her arms. Her hands navigate to the arms of her chair, where her grip is tight enough to turn her knuckles white.

Until the wine reaches her.

She loosens her grip, flexing her fingers before accepting the bottle passed to her. She fills her glass to the brim, drinks the pour completely in one long, practiced swig, then fills her glass again. She either passes the bottle on, or sets it conveniently in front of her spot at the table if there's no one else to pass it to.

Between her fidgets, it is evident that she is processing everything she is hearing, but offers nothing at this point.

Until, a moment later.

"It wasn't me," she says flatly. Defensively.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

He caught the furious, indignant glare when Pelltar introduced Ashley's name, but at the time he didn't concern himself about it. It was irrelevant to the case.

Or was it?

Her unexpectedly defiant declaration of innocence was indeed relevant to the case, however. Why would she do so, unless ...

Lestadt settles back a bit further into his chair, unwilling to broach this new subject, at least for now, especially as she appears rather capable with the business end of a sword.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Spearmint »

Redgrave

"We are in lockdown? Is that just this room or can we explore the Keep and Citadel. It might be worth doing so before heading anywhere else."

He is fine with the suggested record keeping.

"What is happening with the Baron's body? I guess us gawking over it is out of the question.

Also, does anybody know you have formed this investigation team? Do we get to strongarm folk into giving us answers or can we get some official stamp of approval? Become deputised as it were?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#28 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Pelltar answers questions as they arise. "All of your points are quite logical so far."

"Baron Grellus was last seen going to his bed chamber sometime last night. His body was discovered by one of the chambermaids early this morning.

"I am not certain if we are under pressure time wise, but if my assumptions are correct, I don't believe the killer has finished his work yet. I myself could be in danger. Hells, if this truly is a professional assassin we are dealing with, any one of us could be in real danger. You should all know that going in. One foolish mistake could be the last one you ever make."

He points to Redgrave next. "My question exactly, my friend. Who has the most to gain with the Baron out of the picture? Problem is, I haven't been able to put my finger on that answer yet."

The mage smiles when Carling starts taking down notes and sorting through information, but keeps his attention on Redgrave for the moment.

"It is imperative.......imperative, to remember throughout your entire investigation that this is a secret mission that only the people in this room know about. I am trying to ascertain the truth through people I believe and trust completely. If any of us divulges the purpose of this group, accidentally or on purpose, I believe it will result in the failure of this mission. There will be no strong-arming of anyone. Have I made myself crystal clear master dwarf?"

"Another thing to keep in mind.......if the killer should happen to learn of what we are trying to do here,......."
He lets the last very real warning about the possibility of being assassinated hang in the air a moment.

"I can handle getting any bits bits of unknown information around here, but I assure you if 7 people start walking through the castle or streets of Restenford, accosting anyone who looks guilty with concerning questions, this quest will be over before it starts. As I mentioned already, I believe your investigation starts in Garrotten. Blowing your cover by bullying folks in the streets is the last thing we need to do right now."

He hangs his head in sorrow again. "The body........is with Cannon Qualton....in the castle church. And the good priest assured me that there was nothing more he could do for the poor soul."

After a sniffle or two, the normally stoic mage wipes his nose on his robe sleeve and awaits more questioning.

Actions?/Questions?

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"A clandestine investigation it shall be, Pelltar. Although, to your point about seven people interrogating the people of Restenford, the same applies and perhaps even more so in Garrotten. One ought not to disturb the strands while in a spider's web."

"We have Abraham, Balmorrow, and Harper to investigate. I suggest that each of us develop aliases and cover stories, giving ourselves different reasons to naturally interact with them and their associates."

"I could pose as an arts and music connoisseur interested in meeting Balmorrow, the illustrious bard, one whose reputation obviously precedes him. Perhaps even show an interest in purchasing one of his lutes for my collection ..."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"I am a wanderer by choice and although I doubt I am well known, I am known to some. Even in Garrotten, so I think it best if I stick with my real identity."

She seems to contemplate something for a few minutes.

"If we choose to split up, which seems wise, we will need a way to communicate with each other in secret."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling

"Is there a regular stage to Garrotten? I don't think we all have horses or ponies.

It is clear at the moment then, asking questions in the Restenford is not an option. Perhaps some tout could sell seven tickets to the next Garrotten theatre show, that gives us a reason to travel there. We could come back here if needed in a couple of days."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Spearmint »

Redgrave

"I have all I need with me so can leave in the next coach.

Is there anything else we can accomplish here before we go?"

He heeds the warnings from Pelltar.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"A good idea, but we don't know the theater schedule. A couple of us could pose as interested, wealthy patrons, having listened to Balmorrow's performance here. That still leaves Abraham and Harper, though."

"To Zahra's point, a method of secret communication would be ideal ... any ideas? If we arrive as strangers, it need not remain so, however. Pseudo introductions can give us ad hoc reasons to meet for meals or other business." He air quotes the last word for emphasis.

"I don't think there is much else to do here in Restenford, although I will need to change into more suitably upper middle class clothing."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"I am always ready to travel quickly."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

"Given that there are seven of us, which is to big a group to wander around together in secret, and that no group should have less than 2, I would recommend that we break-up into 3 groups. Two of 2 and one of 3. We could have two predefined meeting places for each meal, and allow the groups to exchange information by having each team attend both locations. We could start with each team chasing down one of the leads.

Now, if we could only establish a secret sign for help. . . "

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Moonday, Noon
Clear and Cool

While the investigators come up with an alias and discuss possible hand signals, Pelltar adds a bit more information to the mix.

"I can provide you with private transportation using my own enclosed coach and driver who I know can be trusted. However, he will not stay in Garrotten overnight, so he will return as soon as he drops you off. He can let you out a mile or so from town so you aren't all seen arriving together. Where you decide to go from there will be entirely up to you, just remember to keep this business as quiet as possible."

"You may hold onto the 3 clues as evidence if you wish, as long as they are not lost or stolen. I understand that you will want to talk to the three most obvious suspects, but I can tell you this. I have known Abraham for several years now, and have been to his House many times. If that kind and caring innkeeper has anything to do with killers for hire, I must be the biggest fool on this island."

"As most of you already know, even though Garrotten is shadowed with dark rumors about an assassins guild working directly under the nose of the town's Mayor, there has never been any proof of this provided in any fashion. So I suggest again that you tread lightly while there."

"What I am asking each of you to do is plain. Figure out who killed the Baron and why. I would also like you to bring the killer back here to Restenford if you can, so they may receive the justice deserved for such a heinous act of evil. Alive if possible, dead.........just as good."

Questions/Actions?

If there are no more questions, once I hear from each player that their character is ready to travel, we will get this investigation underway.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt/Michault

Lestadt returns to board the coach wearing distinctly different attire; distinguished and urbane versus the unassuming hues of brown and leather. He is sporting a cream silk shirt with a standing collar and pitch pearl buttons, complemented by a pair of aubergine twill trousers with small onyx buttons, and in his right hand a polished mahogany walking cane capped with a large obsidian sphere.

"How do I look? Pompously artsy?" He asks with an accent most certainly not native to the Lendorian Isles, but more akin to one from the far off kingdom of Keoland, perhaps.

"As Pelltar inherently trusts Abraham and his innnocence in this matter, I suggest we seek lodging exclusively at his inn. I will be using the alias Michault, an aspiring art patron and amateur music aficianado."
Last edited by Quonundrum on Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Spearmint »

Redgrave

"I'm Redgrave and I'll stay that way. Splitting into three groups sounds too thin, we can go a three and four at most. Better for protection. If assassins, plural are in on this murder then we need to progress with care."

The dwarf grabs his gear. The three clues and three suspects is a start, he expects more to come about as we ask a few questions. Rough housing might not be in vogue around the citadel but in Garrotten, it probably is par for the course considering its reputation.

"So theatre bard and tavern innkeeper first, then we can seek out the cleric."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt/Michault

"Redgrave has a point and if we use two meeting places it's more natural with two teams to alternate between them. Considering there may be situations which call for a slightly more intimidating approach, a team more suited to this method is appropriate. I suggest Redgrave, Carling, Zap, and ... yes, definitely Ashley."

The last suggestion was made after glancing at the half-elf's usual dour demeanour. "That leaves Zahra, Draxon, and myself as the other team. As for a secret sign, we should use something flexible ... how about any gesture performed in quick succession. Say, tapping a foot twice, blinking twice, coughing twice, you get the idea."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"Sounds good, we can always mix up the groups later if we need to."

Maybe we should start a clues/info thread to keep track of stuff like our secret signs.

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”