OOC Stuff

OGRE MAGE
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Stuff

#41 Post by Rex »

At the table we play like Rose. Sometimes getting up and going to the next room over and often just passing notes, but it does depend a lot on the scenario and the group dynamics. I have found you actually end up with better role play this way as it forces the players to role play with each other more.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:00 pm Out of curiosity, if I may ask...... How does this style of play actually work when you are sitting around the table playing with friends in a face to face setting? Does everyone keep their ears plugged unless the DM points at them anytime the group splits up? Or is the DM constantly taking players aside for private conversations?
Unfortunately, I almost never have a chance to play in face-to-face games anymore.

Historically, however, the party splitting up was primarily handled in one of three ways:
  1. Open
    The DM will just take turns narrating what each group is doing. Players in the "other" group were welcome to pay full attention, tune out, take bathroom breaks, get snacks or drink refills. Whatever.

We used a lot of dry erase boards when we played, so unless the different areas were actively being covered (rarely), everyone had at least a general idea of what the other group was doing.

Occasionally, when it was the "other" group's turn, I would just tune out... but a majority of the time, my preference was to step away from the table.
  2. Side Sessions
    This and 'Note Passing' (next) weren't super common, but neither was splitting the party to begin with. If what needed to be shared between the DM and player/group was too detailed for a note, the groups were physically split -- DM's preference whether they stayed at the table or were the one to pull the group aside.
  3. Note Passing
    This was probably the most common.

Mainly because we all really loved when it happened!

It was always super cool to be the recipient of the private note from the DM. And when you weren't, it was fun to try to goad or prod the shared information out of the player that did receive it. There were times when I was DM'ing when I would pass a bogus or blank note to another player... just because the excitement level at the table definitely changed and all players instantly became more engaged. It was also fun to watch the player receiving the blank note squirm out of the badgering from the other players when they didn't believe no information was actually shared.

It's crazy, but growing up, secrecy was maybe my favorite part of the game.

I would almost always try to hide aspects of my character from the other players. I would be a fighter that walked around in robes and carried a staff -- but had a sword or dagger conveniently hidden inside my robes.

Or, I'd create a multi-classed character but exclusively play only one of the classes until just the right moment.

The shock or surprise when the brutish fighter, after multiple sessions, finally breaks out a Sleep spell was always so fun for me.

Those, honestly, were the moments I lived for.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#43 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks Dave!

As I often say, you're never too old to learn something new.

I think note passing and taking players aside is a fairly common practice for most DM's to disseminate private information. But I can honestly say that we never split up the players if/when the party got split up, intentionally or otherwise. That must have been challenging, but it does sound like it would work.

Lets do this then.....everyone play as they see fit and I will adjudicate accordingly. I know Q said he is willing to try filling in the info gaps where he can, so I will try to do the same. The last thing I want to do is to push someone towards playing in a manner they don't feel comfortable with.

If I notice issues along the way, we can discuss this further at that point.

I appreciate the input!

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by tarlyn »

I have only experienced it via Skype....

My D&D Tabletop used to be live until ppl moved to the U.S from Canada.

Players not in a scene log off and come back when msgd to come back..... It is a lot of fun to be quite honest and nothing wrong with it.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Spearmint »

. Have you perchance seen Redgrave or Carling?"
Great just blow our names in front of every village suspect. :roll:

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Quonundrum »

I edited out the names. No harm. No foul. He only mentioned them to give Redgrave and Carling a plausible excuse if they are discovered, but you're right, no need to spill the beans just yet.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#47 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluetongue wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:06 am Quicksilver Carling basically wants to do some acting of his own. Even in front of the accomplished bard, counting on his own charisma and +10% positive reactions to negate any initial impressions or negative scenario.
I don't think that 10% is going to help you while in the process of ransacking the mans private property. :?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Quonundrum wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:58 pm Lestadt(Michault)
Abraham wrote:Welcome to the House Of Abraham, good sir. I am Abraham, obviously. I didn't get your name. We should have 3 rooms available once this gentleman has chosen his. Unfortunately, I didn't get his name either.
:|
Lestadt wrote:Brandy also, if you have it. The name is Michault, by the way."
:P
OOPS!!!

Either the barman is hard of hearing, or the DM wasn't paying close enough attention. :oops: :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#49 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Just a heads-up for everyone....

I will be attending Garycon this weekend, so my time on here will be limited or possibly even nonexistent for the next 4 or 5 days.

I will try to get one more update posted before we leave, depending on when we see our last posters actions.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by dmw71 »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 pm I will be attending Garycon this weekend -
Have fun!
-- Project --
-- DM --

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by tarlyn »

Have fun!
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Spearmint »

I am fine with the forums and posts myself.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I am headed out for our spring vacation soon so my posting might be a little spotty for the next few weeks.

I will try to keep up with posts as best I can, but if I am MIA for a day or two, you'll know why. :D

Thanks!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by dmw71 »

Enjoy your break, man.
-- Project --
-- DM --

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by gurusql »

Have a great time :!:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#56 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:44 am Karloff Redgrave

Having already tried shouldering the door open to little effect, he shrugs.
I’m not sure I understand this.

Did I miss this attempt at some point?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Spearmint »

While the elf fiddles with the catches, he knocks on the door, waiting a moment then knocking again. If no one attends he will try the handle.
Sorry, perhaps I should have posted this too.

Redgrave: Open Doors 1-3 [1d6]=4

So I figured if it was locked he would try to barge it open.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#58 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Yes, that might have been helpful. :lol:

I will write that attempt into the next update, before you head off towards the south.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rex »

I am traveling to visit family today through Friday late. I am not sure if I will be able to post while I am there so feel free to NPC my character. I will be back Saturday.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks Rex!

Enjoy it!

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”