What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all)

#381 Post by tibbius »

tibbius wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:52 pm Hey, I'm back!

I'm interested in running 2400, specifically a mashup of Inner System Blues, Project Ikaros, and Resistors.

If you're interested in playing, I am willing to make the rules available to you. I also would urge you to buy them, as you can get an immense package of over 20 (mostly sci-fi) settings with scenario tables, etc. for $6.
I will add the 2400 games are ideal for play by post as most interactions are one-and-done as far as rolling dice. It's important for the GM to clearly state the risks associated with a situation, before the players choose how to act. The stated risks may be revised according to the players' proposals. Once action and risk are agreed, alia jacta est.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#382 Post by Eris »

Hello everyone! After a long absence I'm back and thinking about a game...

So, I've got a hankering to try running a very rules light fantasy game in the D&D style.

I'm thinking of using something hacked out of Searchers of the Unknown for the game.

I would specifically be using : Searchers d20 style, Spellcasters, and Demi-Humans (pages 7-9) with some homebrewed hacks.

Does this peak anyone's interest?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#383 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Welcome back Eris! :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#384 Post by Eris »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:51 pm Welcome back Eris! :)
Thanks for the welcome, GreyWolfVT.

I'll put a thread up to judge interest in a day or so. Searchers of the Unknown and maybe some Tiny Dungeon thrown in too. Searchers of the Tiny...I'm not sure about that name. ;)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#385 Post by Rex »

Welcome Back Eris!

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#386 Post by ffilz »

Yes, welcome back Eris. I'll be watching for your announcement.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#387 Post by tibbius »

I would like to run some of the Trilemma adventures, using METAL.
sample Trilemma adventure wrote:
Screenshot 2023-09-18 091556.png
Screenshot 2023-09-18 091556.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 949 times
METAL wrote:
# Making a Character
Roll 1d3+8 for your METAL (competence, alacrity, dexterity): clumsy 6, trained 9, masterful 12, heroic 15, monstrous 18.

For each point of METAL you may assign one point to a Knack (e.g., *swords*, *frogs*, *healing*). You may assign all points to a single Knack, or allocate points among several Knacks.

# Testing METAL
This is a game of player-facing rolls and dangerous actions. When you hope to avoid a *risk*, Test METAL by rolling 3d6. If you roll under your METAL, you escape the danger. Otherwise, you suffer the risk. It's assumed that anything you attempt succeeds, unless you suffer a risk that prevents that.

# Advantage or Disadvantage
If a situation is especially favorable, for example if you spend a point from a Knack, you may Test METAL with 2d6. If you roll 12 on 2d6, you suffer the risk even if your METAL is higher than 12.

If a situation is especially bad, for example if you have lower METAL than your opponent, you may have Disadvantage and must Test METAL with 4d6. You may spend a point from a Knack to cancel Disadvantage.

# Magic
To use magic, spend a point from your *magic* Knack and from whatever other Knack you want to use. Test METAL. You always roll 3d6 when using or resisting magic - no Advantage or Disadvantage. The risk of using magic is that the magic may turn against you.

# Non-player Characters
NPCs have METAL and may have Knack points. For example, a hag with 12 METAL might spend a *frogs* point to attempt turning the player into a frog, to turn their self into a frog, to speak with a frog, or to restore a player from being turned into a frog. A brigand with 6 METAL might spend a *swords* point to impose Disadvantage when a player Tests METAL for combat. Giving a foe any points in a Knack makes them much more dangerous.

When an NPC tries to *help* a player character, the player Tests the NPC's METAL to see if that works. Otherwise, players roll to evade risks presented by NPCs.

# Advancing and Recovering
Your *threshold* starts as the total of your points for Knacks. Count each time that you Test METAL. When your count exceeds your *threshold*, you recover all points for Knacks, you reset your count, and you also may: raise METAL by 1; allocate 2 additional points among existing Knacks; or assign 1 point to a new Knack. Then raise your *threshold* by 2.

# Wealth and Debt and Stuff
Wealth is measured by coins. The price of stuff is random by rarity: common, 1d3 coins; rare or expensive, 1d6 x 5 coins; exotic, 2d6 x 10 coins. You start with six things and debt for the most valuable thing. In settled places, roll 3d6. If it is less than your debt, they try to arrest you.

# Example foes
Goblin: METAL 6, spear 1. Bandit Chief: METAL 9, bow 2, sword 1. Group of bandits: METAL 12, sword 2. Sorcerer: METAL 10, fire 2, wounds 1. Angry Mob: METAL 18.

# The Iron Hand of Fate
Ask a question. Roll d6. Odds are yes, evens are no. 1-2 is bad, 5-6 is good. 3-4 is surprising.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

zagygthemad
Scout
Scout

#388 Post by zagygthemad »

Greetings all, Zagyg the Mad here, just back on here a week or two ago. I'm looking for 1E or 2E AD&D mostly, Rules Cyclopedia okay too, games I might join. I'm in a few now, looking for a few more. Still learning to use everything, so you might need some patience. I'm 62 years old, started playing AD&D 42 years ago. OSRIC and BECMI are okay too. If you have an opening, let me know! Thanks!

Zagyg/John

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by Leitz »

zagygthemad wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:48 pm Greetings all, Zagyg the Mad here, just back on here a week or two ago. I'm looking for 1E or 2E AD&D mostly, Rules Cyclopedia okay too, games I might join. I'm in a few now, looking for a few more. Still learning to use everything, so you might need some patience. I'm 62 years old, started playing AD&D 42 years ago. OSRIC and BECMI are okay too. If you have an opening, let me know! Thanks!

Zagyg/John
Give this a look, we're just about to start our first adventure. It's B/X and Chainmail

zagygthemad
Scout
Scout

#390 Post by zagygthemad »

Thanks, I play B/X a bit too, I'll check it out!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#391 Post by Leitz »

Not on my radar at all, due to real life load, but I just binge watched the Dresden Files TV show. Very interesting setting, seems very difficult to game. You'd have to mix WoD, Monster Hunters International, the tv show Grimm to really have the right material.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by jemmus »

I read one of the books, and it was really fun. The writer has an almost Douglas Adams ridiculous approach to conveying story events. I'd bet a good RPG could be done. Maybe a very loose-form, RP-based one. Of existing RPGs, I have no idea which one would work best. But there's probably one out there.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Leitz »

jemmus wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:32 am I read one of the books, and it was really fun. The writer has an almost Douglas Adams ridiculous approach to conveying story events. I'd bet a good RPG could be done. Maybe a very loose-form, RP-based one. Of existing RPGs, I have no idea which one would work best. But there's probably one out there.
So far the only game systems that come to mind are Fate, which I'm not sure I like as much as I thought I would, and a crunch-lite adaptation of HERO system. IIUC, the Dresden Files game system itself was based off of Fate.

I bought the first book, supposedly the books and the TV shows have some differences.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by Rex »

Speaking of Fate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresd ... aying_Game

The books are pretty god, I have read most of them.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:03 am Speaking of Fate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresd ... aying_Game

The books are pretty god, I have read most of them.
Cool. Not sure Fate works with PbP though. Have you given any more thought on how to improve it?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by Rex »

I haven't, we tried it some and then abandoned it. Dresden would be a neat way to try but Fate really is a poor system for pbp.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by jemmus »

Fate was fun, I thought, and very good for getting creative storytelling input from players. Unfortunately, I was busy at the time and never really woodshedded on reading the rules. We were all learning the game together, so it would take two interactions to complete an action: the player's roll and post, and GM explaining the additional options from the roll. Over time, the players would have been able to do that with one post. I think. Again, I didn't have much time or energy to really digest the system at the time.

I think Fate would be great for a certain group of players. It would be good for a group of players who like RP and creative storytelling, and are patient about the pace of how the adventurer unfolds. And it seems that it might need a GM who's very open to things being very sandboxy, with things going all kinds of directions based on players' input. And the results of NPCs' rolls and "input as well.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#398 Post by tibbius »

I'm working on a re-boot / re-imagination of Avalon Hill's Magic Realm. I would like some people to play test it.

I have designed over 30 games in the past few years. Mostly variations on Maze Rats or 2400, but also some really original stuff. People seem to like playing the games I write - I have lots of repeat customers on DTRPG.

This game is one of the original ones. It's inspired by Magic Realm, and hopefully will feel familiar, but it's different in many significant ways.

Some features:
- a blissful faery queen's market place, where the unwary can be trapped forever;
- a grim and boding faery king's fortress, hard to access, but ...;
- five distinct villages;
- five distinct forests;
- five distinct heaths;
- five distinct mountains;
- five distinct caverns;
- six different categories of magical songs;
- a streamlined dice-pool combat system with discarded dice (mashup of original Magic Realm chit system with @scarik's advanced Chainmail system);
- saving throws using dice of various sizes (thanks for this idea as well, @scarik);
- distinct rules for magic, missiles, melee, and other stuff (NO unified theory here);
- sixteen distinct (pre-gen) characters to play.

Any interest?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Elysium777
Strider
Strider

#399 Post by Elysium777 »

I’d like to try out Shadowdark

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by Rex »

If you are willing to DM, we have a group ready to play a Shadowdark game. If only as a player you could probably join if we find a DM.

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewforum.php?f=1430

Return to “Looking for players or games”