What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all)

#481 Post by Starbeard »

Leitz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 pm
Starbeard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 pm For rules, the plan is quite literally to play Chainmail and the D&D draft as-is, but swords will be laserswords, crossbows will be blasters, clerics will be Jedi, and we'll be riding gigantic ostriches and jetsticks on alien planets, Flash Gordon and John Carter style.
This mechanic can play out pretty cool, check out how Scarik does it. The first post under "Rules Updates" has his link to the rules, too.
Cool! I like all the thought Scarik's put into it. Playing classic D&D with Chainmail is a great hoot, everyone ought to try it once. It will be interesting to see how it plays with the game draft, because the connections are made much more explicit than in published OD&D—though it turns out there are still some opaque ambiguities that need to be hammered out, almost certainly splintering it back into individual interpretations anyway. Which is nice in its own way, everyone gets to put their own stamp on it.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#482 Post by Starbeard »

Dicey wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm
Starbeard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:34 pm
Assuming I can get 2-4 players invested, in May I'm planning to start a Star Wars game, with a twist, in commemoration of the (late) 50th anniversaries of the conceptual drafts for both D&D and Star Wars. Yes, we will use the 1973 draft of D&D to play a game based on the 1973-1974 drafts of Star Wars.
Try this I would Mr. Starbeard!
Great! I'm still humming and hawing over a few things, like whether to make Jedi a proper fighter multiclass, or to just stick with clerics even though it makes them less than capable as fighters. Or whether to literally use the weapon lists as they are or to make special rules for laser weapons. In keeping with proto-Star Wars there will be tribal aliens, so the tech difference might matter; but also in keeping with proto-Star Wars, the aliens can still be quite a threat so maybe it doesn't matter so much if swords and lightsabers, crossbows and blasters have the performance.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#483 Post by Rex »

For Jedi, maybe clerics and lightsabers are more deadly. That way fighters still have a role to play in combat.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#484 Post by Leitz »

I tend to avoid multi-classes, and end up with a blended class with unique abilities. So a cleric for Jedi, with their special abilities as "spells" and the light sabres as high penetration weapons.

On the concept of low tech troops, it depends on if you're using training levels and morale. Historically, high elan/well trained low tech troops can overcome many tech advantages.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#485 Post by rredmond »

Dicey wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm Try this I would Mr. Starbeard!
:lol:
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#486 Post by ybn1197 »

I know it was just released but is there any interest in a Metamorphosis BX game? It is essentially old school Gamma World using a MiniBX hack. I love post-apocalyptic games but so many of them are bloated with rule sets. This one is 104 pages (booklet sized) and based on B/X; it doesn't look bloated looking at the table of contents.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#487 Post by Edeldhur »

Since I have been curious about the ruleset, I would like to play an old, classic D&D module (like B2, T1-4, or Against Giants, along those lines), but using the Shadowdark system. Really curious to see if they 'mesh' well.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#488 Post by Rex »

A little bit of DM work up front and I don't see why it couldn't work. Probably wouldn't be something I would as I think there are better systems for it but should be fine.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#489 Post by cybersavant »

what is the Shadowdark system?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#490 Post by Edeldhur »

cybersavant wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:30 am what is the Shadowdark system?
This right here: https://www.thearcanelibrary.com/pages/shadowdark

You can download the free quickstart rules if you want to take a look.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#491 Post by Rex »

There is a game going on here using the Shadowdark rules if you want to take a look.

viewforum.php?f=1492

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#492 Post by Edeldhur »

Rex wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:19 pmThere is a game going on here using the Shadowdark rules if you want to take a look.

viewforum.php?f=1492
Thanks! I will take a look.
I am actually in a Discord Shadowdark game, but wanted to see how it works specifically for classic D&D modules.

Return to “Looking for players or games”