What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all)

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#1 Post by VonAlric »

Barbarians of Lemuria is a good system. If you want something that emulates and gives a sword and sorcery vibe while playing, I would highly recommend it. I've played a live online game over a year ago and it was a good time and easy to work with.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

roryb
Guide
Guide

Re: What would you like to play/run? (Interest Catch-all)

#2 Post by roryb »

I'm always game for some BoL. ;)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

More about the module:
In the Land of the Faceless Sphinx

The land of Yar-Ammon is old -- and even older are its gods. In the desert city of Khadis, a colossal faceless sphinx broods over empty altars and forbidden secrets. Hungry beasts gather ever closer to the city gates, while strange plots are afoot in the royal palace. Legacies from the past haunt an old king, and the sinister priests of Zothur watch from the shadows of the throne.

Can you unravel the mysteries of accursed Khadis -- and live to tell the tale?
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

roryb
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by roryb »

Probably not, but would give it a shot. :smirk:

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by The Bindoner »

VonAlric wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:29 pm Barbarians of Lemuria is a good system. If you want something that emulates and gives a sword and sorcery vibe while playing, I would highly recommend it. I've played a live online game over a year ago and it was a good time and easy to work with.
BoL is a lovely simple system, ideal for Conan-style games. Characters are easy to build, the chargen incorporates backstory and character concept as skills/abilities, the mechanics encourage heroic play...

I would love to play, if I had the time. But I don't. :(

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by cybersavant »

that helps a lot. thanks. What about races and careers? Just a list should give me a good idea of choices.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by tibbius »

cybersavant wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:57 am that helps a lot. thanks. What about races and careers? Just a list should give me a good idea of choices.
For a quick summary of races (all human), you can download the setting pdf here: https://xoth.net/publishing/freebies/wo ... _guide.pdf and the map is below.

For careers, if it seems like it would fit a swords & sorcery story, go for it.

The setting pdf has some mechanical benefits for races and cultures, which I am basically not going to use for a BoL game. I might give a situational modifier for social situations - if your character is particularly in or out of their milieu - and perhaps some knowledge bits or special skills related to your character's cultural origin. (Like, it would make sense that a Khazistani would know how to ride, or that someone from Khora would have a basic understanding of boathandling, no matter what their careers have been).
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

roryb
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by roryb »

Heard much about Xoth, but never looked into it. It looks like a very evocative and thoroughly appropriate sword and sorcery setting, so I'm in.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

So what ever happened to that idea of Hedgeknight starting a 1e game? I am most definitely looking for another game or two to join right now everything is so slow even my own game I am running (mostly due to my DM pace) Really only got like 4 games sort of going right now by the looks of my Characters in active games on the roller.

I'll take a look at the recruitment posts but so far nothing in my line of interests.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Le Noir Faineant
Strider
Strider

Re: What would YOU like to play or run? (Interest Catch-all)

#10 Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Let it be known! Let it be known!

This one is looking for a game of "Stormbringer", to join as a player! :)

I'm currently in the process of reading and rereading a lot of the older stuff, and I want to run a game of "Mournblade" some time later this year.

("Mournblade" is the French variant of SB; despite my screen name, I'm not French.)

I've never played SB before, though, and I feel like I need to get my feet wet before I can confidently run this as a DM.
So, if you feel like you want to take an arguable rookie under your wing - let me know! :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Le Noir Faineant wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:25 am ... despite my screen name, I'm not French....
Nope! :)
Hey LNF, good to see you sir!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by tarlyn »

Le Noir Faineant wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:25 am Let it be known! Let it be known!

I'm currently in the process of reading and rereading a lot of the older stuff, and I want to run a game of "Mournblade" some time later this year.

("Mournblade" is the French variant of SB; despite my screen name, I'm not French.)

I've never played SB before, though, and I feel like I need to get my feet wet before I can confidently run this as a DM.
So, if you feel like you want to take an arguable rookie under your wing - let me know! :)

Hey Hey if it isn't my first ever online DM himself!

Howdy Raf you doin ok?
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by ffilz »

tarlyn wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:20 pm
Le Noir Faineant wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:25 am Let it be known! Let it be known!

Hey Hey if it isn't my first ever online DM himself!

Howdy Raf you doin ok?
Oh, I didn't notice this... Too bad I have never read any of the source material. I have 4th and 5th editions of Stormbringer and over 40 years of RuneQuest experience which should count for something in running Stormbringer...

Well, on top of this, I am trying to roust up interest for Cold Iron Samurai Adventures and there's no way I'm going to try and run multiple play by post games.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by hedgeknight »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:01 pm So what ever happened to that idea of Hedgeknight starting a 1e game?
He has been wandering around Greyhawk for the last few weeks, while plowing through the 1E material in the North, the Savage Frontier of the Realms.
And what I've found is I need to severely narrow my field of vision...I don't need to read everything to get started; I need to pick a hex or a small town, and let it roll. 8-)
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

That sounds like a good plan.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

hedgeknight wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm
GreyWolfVT wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:01 pm So what ever happened to that idea of Hedgeknight starting a 1e game?
He has been wandering around Greyhawk for the last few weeks, while plowing through the 1E material in the North, the Savage Frontier of the Realms.
And what I've found is I need to severely narrow my field of vision...I don't need to read everything to get started; I need to pick a hex or a small town, and let it roll. 8-)
A wise choice I had that same revelation the last time I attempted a game in GreyHawk though my mistake was taking an adventure from one setting and trying to mash it into GreyHawk.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm ...I've found is I need to severely narrow my field of vision...I don't need to read everything to get started; I need to pick a hex or a small town, and let it roll.
I agree with this 100%.

I was in the exact same situation. In Greyhawk. I finally stopped feeling completely overwhelmed after picking a specific location and starting to focus specifically on that region.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by tarlyn »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:58 pm
hedgeknight wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm ...I've found is I need to severely narrow my field of vision...I don't need to read everything to get started; I need to pick a hex or a small town, and let it roll.
I agree with this 100%.

I was in the exact same situation. In Greyhawk. I finally stopped feeling completely overwhelmed after picking a specific location and starting to focus specifically on that region.

When I've dmed FR I essentially do the same thing..... I do not know a whole lot about Greyhawk.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

tarlyn wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:01 pm I do not know a whole lot about Greyhawk.
Same. Sadly.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by SilverBen »

Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a comment on this thread after being silent for a while. I agree as well. I was a kid at the time FR and Greyhawk were growing in popularity and just felt intimiated with the sheer amount of reading material in those settings. Even today, I prefer the Moldvay/Mentzer or BECMI Rules Cyclopedia versions for their simplicity than these settings that require hours of research to satisfy player's expectations to be the same setting they remember. If I were to run a game, I would pick one of those rule simpler sets of MOldvay or BECMI.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Return to “Looking for players or games”