Intermission in Millhaven And Journey to Stomanell City

Ithril
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

Intermission in Millhaven And Journey to Stomanell City

#1 Post by Ithril »

As the fairgrounds are beginning to dissemble, you find yourselves free of the obligations that brought you to Millhaven's Grand Tournament. It is a bittersweet moment as you put the past and the fairgrounds behind you and travel to Millhaven for the next exciting chapter in your journey together.

Your reputation precedes you, and you are able to find housing at the Windrush Inn, near Windrush Mir (lake), at a discount cost. Nearby is the Angryvern Tavern where you can get food and drinks, and learn a bit more about Millhaven if you desire. as the evening of the 28 closes, you bed down together in a common room that was reserved for your party alone, a grand honor. It is yours for several days, and you can leave your personal belongings secured there.

It is now the morning of the 29th, and you gather in the common room in the Angryvern Tavern for your breakfast, mostly healed and refreshed from any injuries suffered in the contests. The tavern is a bustling place with a stereotypical barkeep, tawdry damsels waiting tables, a questionable gaggle of other patrons, and plenty of good food of all sorts. As the foods you ordered arrive, you begin discussing your plans.

Harker has learned some more pressing information regarding current events. If this results in a change of plans, that is okay. I should be able to prepare the adventure you choose without too much delay. Whatever happens you still have the journey from Millhaven to your destination, and that will give me a bit of time to prepare too.

Also, Rex, don't forget you still need to check that parchment the Duke gave to Conweena.
Okay then.... ;)

P.s. I have also posted some new maps for you to browse in the 'Maps' thread.
Last edited by Ithril on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Intermission in Millhaven

#2 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena will read the letter from the duke before heading down to breakfast.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Ithril »

I'm not going to make it all fancy like I did for the tournament announcement, but it's similar in the writing and parchment, if not the body and the content.

The parchment is sealed with the Dukes seal. The wax cracks and crumbles as you break the seal to read the letter.

It is very formally written, and entreats the aid of any brave adventurer in the lands. It seems that on their way to the tournament, the daughter of Uthelon Alant has been kidnapped! He is a member of the House of Ballinford, a kingdom to the Nordt. The Duke has offered a reward for her rescue. By His order, anyone presenting this letter will have a carriage and lodging in the City of Stomanell provided, on condition you rescue the helpless maiden.
Further details can be obtained when you reach Stomanell.

The letter closes : "Urgently, Duke Morchar Eldred, Duke of Stomanell, Lord Steward of His Excellency The Wise King K'Thosen"
Last edited by Ithril on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena will share the letter with everyone at breakfast and see what they think.

snarkdogg
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by snarkdogg »

Harker speaks with his companions. "My friends, I believe we should look into this foul kidnapping, but... ... my brother in the Order and friend, Thalas, has gone missing in or around the town of Bredon. I would ask that we travel to Bredon en route to the City of Stomanell and look for Thalas. I believe it is only a short detour and it would set my worried mind at ease to find out the status of my friend."
Last edited by snarkdogg on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Ithril »

Consult the map;
Breden is between Millhaven (your current location) and Stomanell City, but at least a day's journey Nordt of Millhaven.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble nods in agreement and indifference. "I think as long as we don't spend too much time there. There is a reward for sure if we go find that girl that's missing. I like the sound of that"

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Ithril »

Until I get my mapping software fixed...
Local Area.jpg
Local Area.jpg (793.22 KiB) Viewed 844 times
SCREENSHOTS FTW!

Now that I'm home, I can give you better context. Breden is 173 43 miles from Millhaven. Stomanell is 436 109 miles from Millhaven. Because of the forest and the swamp, there is no direct road from Breden to Stomanell.

Naturally, 'things' will happen in either place during the time that lapses while you deal with the other city.
Last edited by Ithril on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath listens to Harker and Pebble. After considering for a moment, he speaks, My troupe is disbanded for the season after the late festival. I'm not sure I'm all that fond of pretending to magic for a few coppers at that. I'm game for the road and what it brings!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"It sounds like we have a plan, we could start out after breakfast."

snarkdogg
Runner
Runner

#11 Post by snarkdogg »

How far can we travel in a day? Do we all have horses?

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath is a pedestrian

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Ithril »

I'm confused.
Are you going to Stomanell City, or Breden? I need to know asap.

The Duke's petition to Conweena will provide horses for all of you, even a carriage if required, but only to take you to Stomanell City.

PHB pg120; Cross Country Movement:

A normal day's marching lasts for 10 hours, including reasonable stops for rest and meals. Under normal conditions, a character can walk twice his movement rate in miles in those 10 hours. Thus, an unencumbered man can walk 24 miles across clear terrain.

Characters can also force march, intentionally hurrying along, at the risk of exhaustion. Force marching enables a character to travel 2 ½ times his movement rate in miles (thus, a normal man could force march 30 miles in a day). At the end of each day of the march, the character or creature must roll a Constitution check...A -1 penalty is applied to the check for each consecutive day spent force marching. If the check is passed, the force marching pace can be continued the next day. If the check fails, no more force marching attempts can be made until the characters have completely recovered from the ordeal. Recovery requires half a day per day of force marching.

Even if the Constitution check fails, the character can continue overland movement at his normal rate.

One drawback of force marching is that each day of force marching results in a -1 penalty to all attack rolls. This modifier is cumulative. Half a day's rest is required to remove one day's worth of force marching penalty. Characters who have managed to force march for eight straight days suffer a -8 penalty to their attack rolls; it takes four days of rest to return to no attack roll penalty.

Overland movement rates can be increased or decreased by many factors. Terrain can speed or slow movement. Well-tended roads allow faster marching.

And
DMG pg123 Increasing Overland Speed

A mount can be pushed to double its normal daily movement rate, but only at the risk of lameness and exhaustion. Any creature moving overland at double speed (or any fraction thereof) must make a saving throw vs. death.

If the saving throw is successful, the creature is unaffected. If the saving throw is failed, the creature is lame or spent; it can't travel any farther that day. Thereafter, it can move only at its normal movement rate until it is rested for at least one day. For each successive day a horse is ridden at double movement, a -1 penalty is applied to the saving throw.

Horses will move at a rate of 24 miles per day as well, however the mitigating factor here is encumbrance. the movement rate for people walking unencumbered is 24 miles a day. You guys are carrying things, so you will travel double your rate of movement in miles per day, assuming a 10-hour march, which includes short breaks and rests, stopping to eat, etc. Also, you are limited to the pace of the slowest member, Conweena, Harker and Pebble all have a rate of 6, as you are equipped now. Traesta has a rate of 1 (WHAT! ? I'll have to look that over to see what happened, it has to be an error, so if that bears out, something will need to be arranged differently). Otherwise at best you would be limited to a walking distance of 12 miles per day. At any rate (sorry for the pun) if you attach a cart or wagon to a set of horses, they will move at half normal rate (12 miles/day), but the encumbrance restrictions are practically limitless for all intents and purposes considering the equipment you have now. You also have the option of driving them a little faster because you are in a hurry. Although this will cause a penalty for the horses, you as travelers will not suffer the same penalties in combat, or the requirements to rest afterwards. Naturally you can push them to a quicker pace, less than double rate with a modified penalty that will not be as harsh.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Conweena

We can get horses and ride if everyone is OK with it.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Ithril »

Rex wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:35 am Conweena

We can get horses and ride if everyone is OK with it.

But Harker is the only character with a riding proficiency; the rest of you would have to do daily 'fall' checks, and there may be other penalties. I think the best option would be either a cart you could all ride in, or a wagon possibly with a coach who can potentially be a source of information on the way. (hint hint hint) :wink:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Sounds like the coach is the best option if it will handle everyone and there gear.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Ithril »

Rex wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:00 pm Conweena

Sounds like the coach is the best option if it will handle everyone and there gear.

Okay.

If I don't hear otherwise by Sunday, I will assume that is the course of action. If everyone voices agreement before then, I'll post sooner. If there are any changes purchases or anything else you want to address before we begin the journey, post it quickly!

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble is good with whatever. He is not one for logistics and travel planning!

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath finds riding in a wagon or carriage infinitely preferable to walking. :D

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Ithril »

With plans all set, Conweena leaves to arrange for the wagon, which is a simple matter. The wagonmaster provides a really nice wagon and four strong horses to pull it. He tells her the driver will arrive at their lodgings early in the morning, and to be ready.

You all spend the day bidding farewell to your former companions, and making certain your provisions for the trip are ready.

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”