New feature added to dice roller: Character transfer

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

New feature added to dice roller: Character transfer

#1 Post by ToniXX »

I’ve added a new feature to the dice roller that allows users to transfer ownership of a character to another user. There is now a new icon associated with each character on the characters page called ‘x-fer’ (short for transfer).

When you click on this icon, you’ll be taken to a screen that asks you to enter the name of the user that the character will be transferred to. Note: It is important that you use the players username at the dice roller, and not their name at the forums. With most users, this is usually the same name, but not always. Be sure you have the correct username before you do the transfer.

Once the transfer has been initiated, the receiving user will see a message on his or her character page that they have a pending character transfer, and to click the character’s name to accept the transfer. If you are the user initiating the transfer, you can cancel it before the other user accepts the character by clicking on the text that says, ‘pending transfer to user xyz.’ You will be asked if you’re sure that you want to cancel the transfer, and if so, the transfer will be canceled, and the other user will no longer see the message of pending transfer on their character page.

If you encounter any problems using this feature, post in this thread and I’ll look into it.

Thanks for your continued support!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: New feature added to dice roller: Character transfer

#2 Post by Spearmint »

That might be a huge help. Plenty of games have great characters created only for players to drop out so being able to pass them over for adoption rather than create new ones to work into a given plotline will go down well.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Great addition for sure, I have picked up characters from others a couple of times and this would have been a huge help.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

I do have a question over this. The feature relies on two active players to consent but I find most often that the reason I need to transfer a character sheet for adoption is because one player is absent from the forum.

Can admin prompt this feature if necessary? I guess the worse outcome is for DM's to keep copies so that adopters can make a clone.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by ToniXX »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:01 pm I do have a question over this. The feature relies on two active players to consent but I find most often that the reason I need to transfer a character sheet for adoption is because one player is absent from the forum.

Can admin prompt this feature if necessary? I guess the worse outcome is for DM's to keep copies so that adopters can make a clone.
This is a really good point, and I've thought about it a lot the last couple of days. Here are my thoughts on the matter and potential solutions:
  • When a player exits a game, they can transfer their PC to the DM, who can then transfer it to a new player. This isn't the best option, as most of the time, when a player leaves, they usually just leave and not communicate their intentions and are never (or rarely) heard from again. Which leads us to...
  • The player leaves without communicating, so the DM can ask an admin to transfer the PC in question to them so they can in turn transfer it to a new player. What if the player does return, and isn't happy about 'losing' their PC in this manner? I'd argue that by leaving without communicating, that player has willingly relinquished their PCs for us to do anything we want with them.
Thoughts?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

That seems a good option. I think as longs as it has been a reasonable amount of time with no communication then you have relinquished control of your PC to the DM.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

I second the "good option, given a reasonable amount of time" parameter. There are sometimes extenuating circumstances, but usually not.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

Of course while been forced to NPC player characters who ditch unexpectedly for long periods, their beloved creations somehow get swallowed whole by giant snakes, fed to the werewolves, given guest of honour status at the harpy banquet or melted into ooze puddles.

All randomly determined of course.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

I love this feature and the proposal for abandoned PCs.

Another option - could we have a copy PC option? That would allows transfer without needing permission or admin help if anyone can copy any sheet. Copy would also be handy for quickly genning up similar NPCs where it makes sense to use sheets.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by ToniXX »

ffilz wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:43 am I love this feature and the proposal for abandoned PCs.

Another option - could we have a copy PC option? That would allows transfer without needing permission or admin help if anyone can copy any sheet. Copy would also be handy for quickly genning up similar NPCs where it makes sense to use sheets.
By saying 'anyone can copy any sheet' do you mean that people can copy PC that do not belong to them?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

ToniXX wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:26 pm
ffilz wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:43 am I love this feature and the proposal for abandoned PCs.

By saying 'anyone can copy any sheet' do you mean that people can copy PC that do not belong to them?
Yea, my thought was to allow anyone to copy any character sheet into their own. Considering you can always hand copy over everything, there's nothing lost. It would allow transfer of ownership of a character without needing any input from the original player. Or it could be used for "tournaments" where you have several groups run the same set of PCs through the same adventure
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

My own thoughts on copying is that I run campaigns where players keep their sheet personal so information, not just on stats but inventory items, conditions, skills, personae are kept secret and this copy by players ability could be abused by unscrupulous ones.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by ToniXX »

Interesting. This is good to know.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, how does the visibility of character sheets work? I've only ever seen them in a post where it looks like you can see everything?

Are the sheets shared with the GM?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

I think you can see your own sheets, posted sheets can be seen by anyone who can see the post and I assume admins can see them but don't know. In Spearmint's games I post my sheet in a private forum only the two of us can see.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:01 am I think you can see your own sheets, posted sheets can be seen by anyone who can see the post and I assume admins can see them but don't know. In Spearmint's games I post my sheet in a private forum only the two of us can see.
If someone can't see the sheet because it's posted in a private forum, then random folks shouldn't be able to copy it. You would need the sheet ID (whatever that looks like) to be able to see or copy it.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Ithril »

ToniXX wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:26 pm The player leaves without communicating, so the DM can ask an admin to transfer the PC in question to them so they can in turn transfer it to a new player. What if the player does return, and isn't happy about 'losing' their PC in this manner? I'd argue that by leaving without communicating, that player has willingly relinquished their PCs for us to do anything we want with them.
Thoughts?
I'm requesting transfer of character Harker from player Bluetongue, character Igber 'the Mop', from player atpollard, and character Traesta Malviere from Darithe. If possible, please transfer ownership to myself. I appreciate this function!

Thank you for your help!

I

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by ToniXX »

Ithril wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:27 pm
I'm requesting transfer of character Harker from player Bluetongue, character Igber 'the Mop', from player atpollard, and character Traesta Malviere from Darithe. If possible, please transfer ownership to myself. I appreciate this function!
The three users that you name here are all still active, so please request from them that they use the character transfer function to transfer these characters to you.
Thanks

Return to “Help and Support”