Chapter I: Volokarnos

Lance
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

Chapter I: Volokarnos

#1 Post by Lance »

The Vaults of Volokarnos: "Orcs have been spotted near an ancient burial complex housing the resting places of old patrician families, and a famous warlord. The masters of the nearby town want the orcs gone... and are willing to overlook a bit of discrete grave-robbing on the side."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter I: Volokarnos

#2 Post by Bluetongue »

Fairfax sits in the boat waiting to land on shore, or perhaps he is still back in the tavern discussing plans.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Finethorn
Ingwe, my dog, is snuffling about the young Fairfax's feet which gives me a good excuse to engage him in conversation.
Strange times young-un. Orcs in the Patricians' tombs. I can't help feeling that the desecration of the dead by such creatures is an afront to the gods. But if you bury your ancestors and stack them with expensive goods, it's not too surprising that an enterprising group come to rob the place!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Urson »

Harlan
The scarred dwarf with no beard spits pipeweed juice on a lump of sandstone. He holds out a hand, palm open, to introduce himself to the dog.
How the buggerin' hell are ye supposed to honor the dead, then? Pretty words? Flowers, maybe? His tone when he says 'flowers' makes it clear the idea would be an insult.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Nym

"Honoring the dead is important for sure."

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Lance »

Arrival: Arriving from the north, after a short boat trip (sponsored by the Captain's Council), your party arrives at the nondescript island holding the Vaults of Volokarnos. The road heads into a hillscape gone wild where only scattered oil tree groves and piles of carved stones betray former human habitation. This land is forlorn, with a few shepherds in the island interior, and some fishermen along the coast. The vaults open from the south-western end of a rocky ridge reaching into the sea. This small peninsula is surrounded by sea from three sides; its sides are steep and dominated by barren limestone. At the end of the path, now barely visible, you find the half-collapsed, overgrown main entrance to the once-famous bath-house and pilgrimage destination.

Once you find a way through, you (I assume) light whatever light sources you wish and start down the dust clogged and insect-ridden path down into the Vaults.

After a few minutes, you arrive to something looking like an entrance hall. Ancient, tiered fountains carved from the marble of the cavern wall - once fed by tragic stone faces - reveal themselves to you. They contain silt, debris, and weeds. Further in, you come to a door on the eastern wall, above it a plaque reads “NO ENTRY". To the north, another corridor continues into darkness. Everything is silent and about as warm as the day you left behind.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Nym

"I will cover the opening going further in while someone checks the door." She moves so she can see down the corridor as far as possible, bow at the ready.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Finethorn
Ensuring his waterbottle is full, and that Adras is suitably loaded with the appropriate extra sacks and other gear from the party (Including the extra food), Finethorn will climb the entrance and take a quick look around the neighbourhood - and having concluded that the dusty island has nothing of immediate threat will return to the party and ask...
So - What will be the order of our party? Swords to the front? Bows and magic users further back...Adras where he can be protected?
And while the group mithers, he tries his luck with Ingwe...Ingwe: Sit!
Noticing Nym heading in, he shakes his head in disbelief

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

Before going deeper, we should establish a marching order.

Hondo (cleric) would like to be in the 2nd rank.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Nym

Nym doesn't care about location, she has a bow and polearm and wears heavy armor (banded) but no shield. She also has Sleep memorized. She probably makes a good second spot behind a Halfling, Gnome or Dwarf.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Bluetongue »

Fairfax

Nocks an arrow in his short bow.

"So we are hear to hunt orcs. Okay. Let's see if one is up this north passage.", he walks at Nym's shoulder, a little shadow to the taller adventurer.

"Here piggy, piggy, piggy", he whispers.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

Rooney

"Alright, let me see how much 'No Entry' the residents actually want."

He says and takes out a set of thieves tools. He adjusts some pliers and skeleton keys and a long wire pick to check over the door keyhole and seal to try and establish any sign of a trap being sprung should we open the door.

Rooney find traps vs 14% [1d100]=28

"If there are any, I could not detect one. ", disappointed in his lack of skills, he readies his sword prepared to kick the door down next round.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Finethorn
Rooney. Can you get that door checked? Mr Stoneledge and Mr Basalt. I can cover you with my bow in case the other side is occupied if you can cover Rooney's tinkering. Eronin. Can you stand by with whatever it is that you do?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:22 pm Rooney

"Alright, let me see how much 'No Entry' the residents actually want."

He says and takes out a set of thieves tools. He adjusts some pliers and skeleton keys and a long wire pick to check over the door keyhole and seal to try and establish any sign of a trap being sprung should we open the door.

Rooney find traps vs 14% [1d100]=28

"If there are any, I could not detect one. ", disappointed in his lack of skills, he readies his sword prepared to kick the door down next round.
Any talking or movement on the other side?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Urson »

Basalt
Before entering, Harlan lights a candle and sets it inside the lantern. He snuffles and snorts, as if trying to scent orcs. He'll cheerfully take a front-row position, moving to the right if the space is wide enough for 2 abreast.
He chuckles when Finethorn calls him 'Mr Basalt'. Basalt's fine- or Harlan. No "Mr." here. He sets the lantern on the floor, then squints to inspect the 'No Entry' sign. Is it new? Or is it a remnant from when this place was active?
FA FO

doppelganger
Guide
Guide

#16 Post by doppelganger »

Weezel Stoneledge
Holding his spear and a torch, the dwarf follows the group examining the door and scowls. Let's one of us get a listen at that there door, he grunts. We need some quiet!

If there is room at the door, Weezel will step forward and put his ear towards it to listen.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Spearmint »

Rooney
Any talking or movement on the other side?
"There's plenty out here."

He packs his lockpick tools away giving space for the dwarf to lend his ear.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Finethorn
Does this door open inwards or outwards? What type of handle mechanism does it have? Does it have a visible lock?
What's the best way of opening that then Rooney? You or the Dwarves?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by ybn1197 »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:26 pm Finethorn
Rooney. Can you get that door checked? Mr Stoneledge and Mr Basalt. I can cover you with my bow in case the other side is occupied if you can cover Rooney's tinkering. Eronin. Can you stand by with whatever it is that you do?
Eronin scowls slightly at Finethorn. "Light your ass up with a magic missile is what I can do," he mumbles under his breath. He holds his lantern high so that its light better illuminates the area for this working on the door and keeping an eye on the open passage.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Lance »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:22 pm Rooney find traps vs 14% [1d100]=28

Indeed, you see no sign of traps.
BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:27 pm Any talking or movement on the other side?
None of you hear any noise from the other side.
Urson wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:14 pm He sets the lantern on the floor, then squints to inspect the 'No Entry' sign. Is it new? Or is it a remnant from when this place was active?
It seems about as ancient as the rest of your surroundings.
BackworldTraveller wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:24 pm Does this door open inwards or outwards? What type of handle mechanism does it have? Does it have a visible lock?
It opens inwards, or away from you. It has a long handle with a key hole underneath.
Similar to this
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:00 pm She moves so she can see down the corridor as far as possible, bow at the ready.
The corridor continues into the darkness but you can't pick out any details without a light source. It seems empty.

Return to “Exploring Erillion (LL)”