OOC Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC Discussion

#1 Post by Marullus »

Discuss anything you want here, keeping OOC out of the IC play as much as we can.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Discussion

#2 Post by Enoch »

Hey all, I'm James, Andrew's friend. Looking forward to this!
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

buddha
Squire
Squire

#3 Post by buddha »

Howdy James! This is Buddha. I'm very curious to see how this all works! Seeing as how a bunch of us are new to pbp gaming, I hope you and Andy feel free to let us know if there's anything we can do to improve play as we go!

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Enoch »

Will do- but seeing as this appears to be much more of a collaborative storytelling than a more mechanical hack n' slash, I think we'll avoid a lot of the perils of pbp roleplaying anyway (a simple fight taking three weeks to resolve because a day or two passes between each person rolling initiative, etc.).

Looking forward to roleplaying with you.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

I thing Buddha and George already know James from my wedding or from the Burning Empires game or Monsterhearts game run... a decade ago? :shock:

James is right - Turn based combat is really slow and bad for PbP generally. As a PBTA game, that shouldn't be a problem here.

I enjoy play by post because I like to believe my descriptive writing is far better than my improv acting. :lol: Having time to think about and write a roleplay inject vastly improves quality over my live games because my brain is generally slow.

I am excited to try this game here because it is collaborative expository fiction; I think it will play well.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

I think Chuck isn't enamored with playing a Nest, so he can of course reroll or pick. We also are seeing if George has time to roll a character.

I'm hoping to get time tomorrow or Monday to post the introduction and first move. :)

mightywombat
Squire
Squire

#7 Post by mightywombat »

Hey, James. I'm Ed and I have been gaming with these guys for the last... what, now, seven years? It's hard to believe that it's been that long since I moved to the area. Anyway, most of the PBP games I've done have fizzles out, so I'm hoping that this one manages to stay the course! I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Well, I obviously didn't get to post by Monday. :)

I was unsatisfied with the Incursion I picked originally as it didn't match the characters. Since the theme of Trophy Dark is "a last adventure" and not "a first adventure," I went through the incursions and picked one that I think better matches your concepts so far.

Regicide.

This story is in Ambaret, with an uprising against the monarchy, the doors of the royal palace already sundered during this day. In this wildly, frighteningly, magical world, it is the King and his court whose powers create law and order. Who subjugate and bridle the raw power of the Kalduhr forest at the heart of the realm. Who structure the realm into roads, towns, and cities for the benefice of men.

...It is the King who ordered Toram's village destroyed in war. Who imprisons the heir of Naganeh within the palace.
...It is the royal magic which subjugates the Caliginous Grove, a preserved piece of the Kalduhr at the city's heart that allows subjugation of the greater forest through magical principles of sympathetic magic.
...It is the King who is the object of the seething hatred of the Witch of Nevask, raw emotion that Nimah feels in her soul each time she wakes, a wish for vengance for a deep and personal wrong.

Chuck and George, if this helps solidify concepts, make and place your characters as people who would be present in Ambaret for the insurrection.

sixgunninja
Squire
Squire

#9 Post by sixgunninja »

Marullus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:55 pmRegicide.

This story is in Ambaret, with an uprising against the monarchy, the doors of the royal palace already sundered during this day. In this wildly, frighteningly, magical world, it is the King and his court whose powers create law and order. Who subjugate and bridle the raw power of the Kalduhr forest at the heart of the realm. Who structure the realm into roads, towns, and cities for the benefice of men.

...It is the King who ordered Toram's village destroyed in war. Who imprisons the heir of Naganeh within the palace.
...It is the royal magic which subjugates the Caliginous Grove, a preserved piece of the Kalduhr at the city's heart that allows subjugation of the greater forest through magical principles of sympathetic magic.
...It is the King who is the object of the seething hatred of the Witch of Nevask, raw emotion that Nimah feels in her soul each time she wakes, a wish for vengance for a deep and personal wrong.

Chuck and George, if this helps solidify concepts, make and place your characters as people who would be present in Ambaret for the insurrection.
I think Neven can fit into this quite nicely. As a refugee from one of the King's wars, or seeking the Banner of the Nameless Legion from the palace.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

sixgunninja wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:20 pm I think Neven can fit into this quite nicely. As a refugee from one of the King's wars, or seeking the Banner of the Nameless Legion from the palace.
Awesome! I edited him into the Regicide thread. Go ahead and make your initial post there.

Does this capture a start-point well?
Neven, a scout returned from war. Though war marks his soul, he wanders alone without a unit. Perhaps a survivor, or a deserter, this wandering refugee seeks the lost banner of The Nameless Legion to heal what was lost... or taken from him. (Rituals: None.)
Foraging, Hunting, Paths, Disguise. Ruin: 1 / 6
Perhaps he knows Toram, who is a survivor of a town sacked by the King's army...

buddha
Squire
Squire

#11 Post by buddha »

I created a character for the Dice Roller, but I'm not sure what macro to use for the light/dark dice thing and what the protocol is for when and how to roll the dice. I'm going to do it offsite for this initial roll, since it's really just for color, but any help for the future would be much appreciated!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Yay for posts! :D I love the story you guys are creating.

As for rolling...
I would just type it out with a text label in the "Roll on the Fly" option attached to your character name and not worry about macros. Just list the number of [1d6] in each category.

Code: Select all

Light [1d6][1d6] Dark [1d6][1d6]

mightywombat
Squire
Squire

#13 Post by mightywombat »

Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:07 pm Perhaps he knows Toram, who is a survivor of a town sacked by the King's army...
I dropped Neven's name in my scene. I figured he, more than anyone else, would have known about the heir being captured and brought back to Ambaret. Maybe they met in Naganeh when his cult was rooted out, or maybe Toram just found him in a tavern and coaxed the story out of him lubricated by ale.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Awesome! I assume Chuck's busy with other prep today ;) . Hopefully he has time to post for Neven tomorrow or early this week, then I'll move the scene forward. I love everything so far! :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

Chuck and George, how are you doing? I'm okay holding for you if you think you can get to it this week.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

With confirmation from Chuck and George to proceed, we'll kick off with just the three characters. (This smaller group is actually recommended as optimal for the system, so that's okay.)

My apologies for the length of time for me to sort this out and post, things have been overwhelming here. We can continue at whatever pace you guys desire... I don't expect more than once a week, but I do hope I can personally do better than the once-a-month this was. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

* Bump *
How are you guys feeling?

mightywombat
Squire
Squire

#18 Post by mightywombat »

I was just thinking earlier tonight about what the status of the game was. I'm still here for it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Oh sweet!

Go post your IC reply to the last move when you can. I will move the story once we have everyone.

mightywombat
Squire
Squire

#20 Post by mightywombat »

Sorry it's taking me a minute to get this done. Work has been super busy lately and school is kind of intense this semester. I will post a reply as soon as possible.

Return to “Dreading the Kalduhr Forest (Trophy Dark)”