THE GAME - 01

atpollard
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: THE GAME - 01

#81 Post by Rex »

Bella

Bella will examine the door for traps and locks and see what she can do.

"Let me look it over, I have some training in this sort of thing."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by shaidar »

Donn keeps watch at the intersection while Bella works.

"Keep the candle for your work, I don't need it."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Rex »

Bella

"Thanks."

She goes to work.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

July 17: (+4.3 hours)

#84 Post by atpollard »

July 17: (+4.3 hours) Belladonna, Oritran & Donnchad

Tran held the candle while Bella examined the door for traps and found none. It was an exact match to the sell door from room #5 and simply barred from your side. Once again, she easily lifted the bar and the door swung open with a loud creek of wood on wood.

This time, the smell from the room with the door was bad, but not horrifying and the 4-foot by 8-foot room held only a single prisoner. The tall, pale being with fragile-looking bones visible through paper-thin skin stretched over slender arms and legs sat in a corner with his arms bound tightly behind his back in several locations with rawhide strips. It appeared that the hide had been bound wet and allowed to dry … shrinking and dislocating his arms from their sockets.

As Bella enters with the candle, the elf squinted as his eyes adjusted to light after so long in total darkness. After a moment, he stares as Bell and addresses her in broken ‘Halfling’ … (note that he spoke well, but was unable to pronounce certain consonants so the result was Halfling with a very strange accent to it) … “Greetings People of the Meadow. You must be Druidess Belladonna. Wizard Oritran speaks highly of you.”
Last edited by atpollard on Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

July 17: (+4.4 hours)

#85 Post by atpollard »

July 17: (+4.4 hours) Belladonna, Oritran & Donnchad

Stepping into the corridor, as Auréyien is desperate to get out of his cell and would not allow an opportunity of an open door to go unused, he continued speaking with Bella (his dislocated arms still bound). “I am Warrior Auréyien of the Park Spire”

In the corridor, Auréyien spotted the Dwarf and addressed him in equally heavily accented Dwarven “Greetings Western Guild. Sympathies for your fallen comrade. May the sky welcome his spirit … he was a brave warrior and died without shame.” (The reference to the sky meant nothing to the Dwarf … it must be an Elven thing.)
Last edited by atpollard on Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Rex »

Bella

Bell will free the elf, cutting his bonds with her dagger.

"I wish we could meet under better circumstances Auréyien. It is not looking good here."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by shaidar »

Donn nods at the elf, wondering what other bizarre occurrences will happen this day, perhaps a troop of humans will turn up.

"Thank you, his soulfire will return to the eternal flames of the creators forge, as it is for all good dwarves. I am Donnchadh Forgebright of the Copperblood forge. How did you end up down here?...Are you injured, the creator has gifted me a simple spell of healing this day."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

July 17: (+4.5 hours)

#88 Post by atpollard »

July 17: (+4.5 hours) Belladonna, Oritran & Donnchad

“It is not looking good here.” said Bella as she cut his arms free. Cut free, the arms of the Elf hung limp at his sides with his shoulders twisted at odd angles.

“That doesn’t look right.” whispered Tran … master of the obvious.

“Are you injured? The creator has gifted me a simple spell of healing this day." responded Donn.

“I would be grateful for your assistance.” replied Auréyien, “Unfortunately magic will not fix this.” The elf knelt and smiled. “If one of you could manipulate my arms to place them back into my shoulder. I believe that you will need to pull outward and twist it back into the correct position.”
( Whoever tries must roll DEX or less on 1d20. Success = 1 point of damage to Elf and use of arms restored. Failure = 1d6 damage to Elf and arms still dislocated. )

Auréyien turned to address Bella “Things are looking better all the time.” he chucked softly “I have had a great deal of time to listen, and it seems that the great victory that they were promised turned out to be a staggering defeat to the Dwarves. There is dissention among the ranks and great dissatisfaction with the chief over the very high casualties.”

Bella saw a frightening gleam in the eyes of the Elf … Donn recognized the resolve of a warrior when he saw it in another warrior (This Elf was vulnerable, but he was neither harmless nor gentle … these Trollkin were in trouble. )

“They are a community wounded, divided and at their most vulnerable. No little halfling. Things are looking better than they have in a long time. If only I can regain the use of my arms, it is these Trollkin that will find today to be a very bad day.” said Auréyien.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by shaidar »

Donn

"If the trollkin are as you described, then this must be taken advantage of. I must tell my forge so they can organise an attack. Now, let's get your arms sorted..." he peers at the delicate looking elf "...I'm not sure that I won't do more damage than good if I try to fix your arms, my forge work is more strength than finesse."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Rex »

Bella

"I will try, please remain still."

She grits her teeth and attempts to place his shoulders back in.

Dex check (14) [1d20]=10

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

July 17: (+4.6 hours)

#91 Post by atpollard »

July 17: (+4.6 hours) Belladonna, Donnchad, Oritran, Cynog & Auréyien

With a loud POP, the Auréyien’s arm fell back into its socket and the elf bent his elbow and moved his hand. Bella repeated the process for the other arm.
(FYI: Auréyien, HP 11 (6+5), Current Damage 5).
“Thank you, Druidess Belladonna.” said Auréyien as he stretched stiff muscles. “I go to recover my blade and kill anything that stands in the way."

"Warrior Donnchad, I invite you to join me in recovering your possessions and avenging your companion.”
(I delayed interaction with the Halfling prisoner to buy as much time as possible for some PLAYER to decide to join the game and make him whoever they wanted. Since nobody stepped up by Monday, allow me to introduce the NPC Halfling: Cynog the Trader (Druid-2) (ST:12; IN:14; WI:14; DX:8; CO:14; CH:15) HP 8 (2+6), Current Damage 4).
Cynog introduced himself as a Trader from the Village of Noddfa (a Halfling word meaning “Sanctuary” or “Refuge”) which he claimed was “near the Great River” . Cynog picked up a sturdy old leg bone from the Trollkin skeleton chained to the wall to use as a small club and announced that he would stay with Bella and Tran. “Wherever you are going, I am going.”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rex »

Bella

"Tran, Cynog, I think it best if we all stay together. Are you willing to stay with Donnchad and Auréyien?"

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Tran & Cynog

#93 Post by atpollard »

"Are you willing to stay with Donnchad and Auréyien?" Bella inquired.

"Awesome" responded Tran enthusiastically, "I'm going to explore The Maze with an actual Dwarf and an Elf. This is better than I could have hoped for."

Cynog just nodded. "Wherever you go." he repeated softly.
Donnchad is aware, but free to say something or nothing ... The MAZE is an extensive network of interconnected tunnels and caverns that extend on for miles beyond mapping, and is located within a mile of this location. However, no matter what the adolescent Halfling believes, THIS small cave dug by Trollkin is NOT The Maze. There is a tiny chance that it may be connected to The Maze, but there are THOUSANDS of small caves in this area and only one MAZE. (The Dwarves live in The Maze and it is distinct).

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Rex »

Bella

"We will stay with you, our best chances of success lay together."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by shaidar »

Donn
Auréyien wrote:"Warrior Donnchad, I invite you to join me in recovering your possessions and avenging your companion.”
Donn looks at the elf, a grim smile on his face, "I'm glad of the invite, sir elf. There are many dwarves that need avenging this day."
Tran wrote: "Awesome" responded Tran enthusiastically, "I'm going to explore The Maze with an actual Dwarf and an Elf. This is better than I could have hoped for."
Donnchad laughs, a short sharp bark "I'm sorry, lad. This isn't The Maze, just some trollkin tunnels. And I agree that we should stick together, there is strength in numbers."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

July 17: (+4.7 hours)

#96 Post by atpollard »

July 17: (+4.7 hours) Belladonna, Donnchad, Oritran, Cynog & Auréyien

The group returned to the ‘stuck’ door at the end of the tunnel, however this time you had far greater strength to throw at the door and the Dwarf and Elf easily shoved it open and quickly advanced into the Stone Room (#1) alert and ready for trouble. All was quiet.

(Since there are more of you and most of these tunnels are narrow, let’s come up with a single-file marching order and a double-file marching order. The NPCs have no opinion and will agree with whatever Belladonna and Donnchad decide.)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Rex »

Bella

Suggestion:
Single File: Bella (front), Aure, Tran, Donn (rear)

Double file: Bella/Aure (front). Donn/Tran (rear)

This is just an idea, open to anything really.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by shaidar »

that's fine, Don, probably doesn't want to be too near that candle anyway. Although, if the elf is taller than everyone else, then maybe he should go at the back

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Rex »

Bella

We could put Aure at the back. He is the only fighter in the group but he is probably the fastest in the group as well.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Combat Turn 1

#100 Post by atpollard »

Marching Order: (front) Bella, Donn, Cyn, Tran, Aure (rear).
Bella:
Trollkin:
Donn: (1-3)

Trollkin:
Trollkin:
July 17: (+4.81 hours) Belladonna, Donnchad, Cynog, Oritran & Auréyien
Combat Turn 1:
Through the hole cut in the stone wall and south, down the narrow timber-reinforced excavated tunnel the group proceeded. As Bella approached the bend in the tunnel, she spotted a guard at a crossing of two passages ahead (#2 – “a”). She signaled for the group to halt and attempted to surprise the guard with her stealth advantage and Back Attack. As Bella passed the jog in the tunnel, she was startled by a scream from behind … a second guard had been hiding at “b”. Bella had stepped into a well-planned ambush and fumbled for a moment as both guards (a & b) attacked from opposite directions simultaneously.

Donn immediately perceived the ambush and danger as the Trollkin launched their attack. Fortunately, he was able to rush forward and with a great shove propel the frozen Bella past the ambush – causing the attacks to miss her.

This placed Donn at the head of the party near “b” with the group in a line stretching to room #1 … Two Trollkin Guards (AC 7) at #2 and Bella at the intersection (just past “a”).

(Domm can roll an attack with 1d6 damage vs AC 7 against a Trollkin. Bella regains her composure and stands up this round. Bella and Donn can roll “to hit” and they strike first in Combat Turn 2. NPCs are surprised in Turn 1.)
Last edited by atpollard on Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tir tywyllwch - "Land of Darkness" (Blueholme)”