Chapter 3: The Path of the Righteous Man

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Path of the Righteous Man

#181 Post by Marullus »

In the barroom upstairs, Báleygr Gangleri watches via the drone and lets those near him know what's going on. "Its not the women, but some sort of tentacled beast."

Shadrach swears at Báleygr's words. "Shit, more shadowspawn." He pounds down the stairs as fast as he can, setting the butt of the spike-thrower against his shoulder and sweeping the staircase with its muzzle. "Grim, lov." The beast, difficult to see in the gloom, seems to careen off the walls as it flies past the soldier and down the stairs, the pair leading as Taavi joins behind.

In the room below, the mass of dark tentacles is quicker than they expected. Before they can even get their weapons to bear, a pair of tentacles shoots out and grasps Balygyr's drone, ripping it in half. As the basement drops into utter and complete darkness, they hear the metalic pieces clattering to the floor. The acrid, foreign smell of the beast, the chortling rumble deep in its gullet.

Hansel fires a blind spray of burst fire at where he believes the creature to be - the room too dark even if he were wearing his low-light goggles - the bullets riccocheting off the concrete walls but the muzzle flash revealing where the mass of tentacles and teeth has moved in the blackness of the room.

Emile's panspectral optics kick in, the creature eerily not having a heat signature, but being colder than the surrounding room. The invocations on his guns glow faintly in the dark of the room as he fires a round right through the creature's center mass (-8). The round tears through its flesh, ichor spilling freely from the wide wound.

The creature lets out an unholy screeching noise and lashes out with its tentacles at Emile, but the gunslinger is able to side step them as Hansel fires another blind spray, this time recalbrating to hit the creature, a spongy, dry noise with a faint splorp, as if the creature is absorbing and adjusting. (-4). Emile gets off another shot with his second hand, wounding the creature's other side (-4).

That's one and two. Shadrach and Taavi arrive now and act on round three. the basement has been plunged into pitch darkness when you arrive.

OOC:[/ooc]
Taavi Init [1d8]=6 Monster Init [1d8]=8[1d20+5]=17+5=22[1d10]=10 Emile [1d20+4]=20+4=24[1d6+3]=1+3=4 Hansel [1d20+5]=19+5=24[1d12+4]=5+4=9
Monster [1d20+5]=5+5=10[1d10]=1
Balygyr Init [1d8]=7

Initiative:
8: Monster
7: Balygyr
6: Shadrach, Taavi
5: Hansel
3: Emile

Round 1:
Monster goes first - tentacles tear apart the drone. Darkness falls.
Emile shoots the thing (-8)
Hansel misses.

Round 2:
Monster attacks Emile. Misses.
Emile hits it (-4)
Hansel is blind, but still hits (-9 for half damage is -4)

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#182 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel, guided by the strobbing afterimages in his eyes, puts one more burst into the creature's general location, some of the rounds at least hitting home, and maybe serving to light the room for his companions.

Combat rifle burst [1d20+5]=18+5=23 damage [1d12+4]=1+4=5
damage being halved, would either be 2 or 3 depending on rounding

Not sure on burst ammo expenditure. for an M4 it would be 3 rounds per, leaving 21 in the magazine, but space combat rifles may have larger bursts? Like I think the M4 should... :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Marullus »

Burst Mode
Some weaponry can fire in burst mode, allowing the
wielder to fire three rounds of ammunition for a +2 bonus
to hit and damage against the target. For projectile
weapons, this means firing actual bullets, while energy
weapons spread the beam or run the circuits hot to
project additional power. Dumping more ammunition
than this at once is generally impractical; energy weapons
would melt down and projectile launchers would
buck uncontrollably. True suppressive fire is usually
only possible with Heavy weapons.
:D

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#184 Post by redwarrior »

Reading is fundamental! :D

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#185 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri activates another drone and sends it to the stairs, keeping as far up as possible while still giving the marshals some light. "I'm fast running out of drones. AI, once we're clear of the present danger remind me to add mods to the remaining ones, if we have any by then."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#186 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach pounds down the stairs until he reaches the spot where the wall falls away and the bannister begins. He quickly wedges the barrel of the bolt-thrower into the angle to brace it, flips it to burst-fire, and tries to make out the shape of the thing in the sporadic light of gunfire. Grim leaps past him, disappearing into the gloom.

Spike-thrower: [1d20+3]=10+3=13, [1d20+3]=17+3=20, damage [3d8+1]=17+1=18
Grim's Attack: [1d20+1]=4+1=5, damage [1d10]=8
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Marullus »

The black, ichorous tentacles lash out again at Emile, the gunslinger fending them off, slipping away from their foul, sticky touch.

Shadrach appears on the stairs, blessing his new weapon with a prayer while he is rapid-firing metal spikes into the center mass of the creature. (-18) Hansel's combat rifle also rattles with burst fire, the room lit by muzzle flare. (-2)

For a long moment, there is nothing but the sound of Grim gulping and swallowing in the still darkness that follows, before Balygyr's new drone hums, hovering down the stairwell from above, bringing a new spotlight. The spectral hound slinks off away from the spotlight when it arrives, the sticky black remains of what was the monster now just splatter all over the floor.

The door on that wall hangs cock-eyed, burst from its hinges, a short hallway visible beyond in the spotlight's glare. A blue glow eminates from an open door on the left-hand side, a wide-open space dark and forboding at the hallways end.

OOC:
Last edited by Marullus on Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#188 Post by redwarrior »

hansel quickly grabs several loose rounds to top of his magazine. In for a penny, in for a pound?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by jemmus »

Lawyer Taavi was trained to always hope for the best, but prepare for the very worst. He replies from the top of the stairs, Let's get our salvaged goods to the truck before investigating another possible source of danger.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach nods. "I can keep watch over the hall while you all haul it up." He grabs the box of stakes set aside for him, kneels, and begins thumbing them into the internal magazine by feel, his eyes constantly roving over the short hallway.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#191 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel will grab boxes and start hauling them up. Once topside, he will grab his low-light goggles and move around his other gear (will hold onto the combat rifle, leaving his laser rifle in the scabbard above - I'll redo my readied items list in a bit). Once the identified items are shifted, and his gear is seen too, he'll look to grab the MREs and generally useful miscellaneous stuff to toss in the truck - assuming everything hasn't exploded by then!

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by jemmus »

Taavi also lugs his box of loot to the truck. He keeps the grenade with him, though. Baleygr, your high tech parts are in the box. He unslings his semi-auto rifle and heads back downstairs.
PCs

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#193 Post by cybersavant »

jemmus wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:38 pm Taavi Baleygr, your high tech parts are in the box. He unslings his semi-auto rifle and heads back downstairs.
Báleygr Gangleri "Thanks. I'll keep the drone down there, but back a bit. I'm losing too many."
gaming since 1980

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Marullus »

Hansel, Taavi, and Emile begin hauling crates of goods up the the flatbed truck. Kimberly and Nora help to lift the crates up onto the truck bed and tie them down with straps.

Meanwhile, Balygyr watches through the drone, shining the spotlight on the smashed metal door after the others have ascended the stair, trusting they'll be able to cross the smashed bar by the tail-lights of the truck. Shadrach waits alone in the downstairs, his gun trained on the empty hallway, waiting on-guard.

A female voice calls out from the dimly-lit doorway on the hallway's left side. "Please," it pleads, "Please, don't kill me. Just rob me, please. You've... you've already taken everything. Destroyed all..." Her voice catches on a sob. "Just go. There is nothing else left for you here. Promise no more of this wanton destruction and nothing will follow you. You have my word. Please just... no more."

The heartfelt tone of the voice touches Shadrach deeply. With all of his training from the church, he is certain. Everything the voice said is true. He feels for its pain.

OOC:
Mental save for Shadrach [1d20]=1
Shadrach is utterly convinced that what the voice says is true.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#195 Post by greyarea »

Emile suggests, Let’s go back down and end this.

Sorry for the lack of posting: I never got updates for some reason!

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#196 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel nods his agreement at Emile’s words. There are at least three of those… stripper demon things and one wounded mortal lackey down there… an I think someone said something about‘dimensional energy’. If we’re going to be wearing these badges, we probably need to take care of this, so this place can go back to being an honest clip joint. He makes sure he’s got a round seated and the selector on burst, ready to go in while watching for any signs of danger.

Notice [3d6c1+2]=10+2=12

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by jemmus »

Taavi unslings his rifle and heads down the stairs. Agreed. Any place that would host Petr as a VIP has got to be wicked from top to bottom. Let's see if we can finish the last ones off.
PCs

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#198 Post by Enoch »

Marullus wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:24 am OOC:
Mental save for Shadrach [1d20]=1
Shadrach is utterly convinced that what the voice says is true.
I would like to point out I have Sacrilegious Scorn, which gives me a +2 to magical or mundane effects created by Shadows or Shadow Cultists. I am only mostly utterly convinced that the voice is true. I mean, still a Nat 1.

Shadrach lowers the barrel of the spike-thrower. "No-one's here to rob you. If the goods in this store-room were yours, we'll return them. C'mon out. I won't hurt you."

He senses more than sees the presence of the hellhound between him and the shadowy doorway, and dismisses the creature. "Grim, nestajati."

He calls into the darkness once again as he shoulders his weapon. "Come on out. I'll protect you. I know you're scared; there was a den o' vampires here. Nasty things, but we've cleared them out."
Shadrach holds his arms wide, open palms out, to show his peaceful intentions.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#199 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri continues to monitor via the drones.
gaming since 1980

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Marullus »

Ambiance: A Little Wicked

The door on that wall hangs cock-eyed, burst from its hinges, a short hallway visible beyond in the spotlight's glare. A blue glow eminates from an open door on the left-hand side, a wide-open space dark and forboding at the hallways end.

A female voice calls out from the dimly-lit doorway on the hallway's left side. "Please," it pleads, "Please, don't kill me. Just rob me, please. You've... you've already taken everything. Destroyed all..." Her voice catches on a sob. "Just go. There is nothing else left for you here. Promise no more of this wanton destruction and nothing will follow you. You have my word. Please just... no more."

Shadrach lowers the barrel of the spike-thrower. "No-one's here to rob you. If the goods in this store-room were yours, we'll return them. C'mon out. I won't hurt you."

He senses more than sees the presence of the hellhound between him and the shadowy doorway, and dismisses the creature. "Grim, nestajati."

He calls into the darkness once again as he shoulders his weapon. "Come on out. I'll protect you. I know you're scared; there was a den o' vampires here. Nasty things, but we've cleared them out."

As Hansel, Emile, and Taavi descend the stairs, they hear his words and see Shadrach holding his arms wide, open palms out, to show his peaceful intentions.

As a telepath, Taavi recognizes the hallmarks of mental influence and speaks in a gentle but firm tone to Shadrach. "Any place that would host Petr as a VIP has got to be wicked from top to bottom." Shadrach is uncertain, but willing to proceed to visual inspection, checking on the plight of the female voice.

Guns leveled and ready, the four men and one floating drone with a spotlight proceed down the cooridor to the doorway on the left.

Through the doorway is a medium-sized square room, the blue light a combination of pulsing radiation coming through an adjar door on the far left side of the rear wall and the emergency track lighting around the ceiling here. A stage fills the back half of the room, a large and ornate wooden chair centered upon it, and sitting on the chair is a an etherially beautiful woman, long platinum blonde hair cascading around the thin shoulder straps of her provacative dress. A metal rolling rack of clothing is pushed to the right side of the stage, the room otherwise bare.

"Please," she pleads agan, "Please, don't kill me. You've... you've already taken everything."
Shadrach recognizes her voice immediately, glad to see she's safe.

"...but I know my appeals don't move all of you. You came anyway. Look, with guns drawn." She looks utterly saddened, disappointed. "Merciless dealers of death." She turns slightly, the fabric of the dress stretching slightly to expose more of the skin between her breasts. "To shoot me... if nothing else will do." She pauses only a moment, letting the silence hang between you.

"But I already know what you want," she interjects, her voice cool and liquid, just before any trigger pull decision can be made. "Even the death of everyone here does not satisfy you, no. You... you want the Sons of Vukodlak, she says the name slowly, with a thick slavic accent. "I will gladly give them to you, if you in exchange cause no harm here." She points to the door behind her with a dismissive wave. "Simply go through that door and you can have them. If I'm lying, you can come back and kill me. But I never lie. The truth is far... more delicious."

She arches a single eyebrow, looking over you, then settling her gaze on Taavi for the answer.

Return to “Dust to Dust (SWN)”