Chapter 3: The Path of the Righteous Man

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: The Path of the Righteous Man

#241 Post by Marullus »

Balygyr:
cybersavant wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:28 am By triggering this power as an Instant action and Committing Effort for the day, the psychic can retroactively declare that they brought along any one object that they could have reasonably acquired and carried to this point.
[/color]
This is a fantastic ability, but that's not quite how it works. You can't use it to find something in a search that isn't presently there.

You CAN use it to automatically allow you to have something in your pocket that you had a preminition to bring with you, as long as it was something you had access to earlier (in the farmhouse basement, back in Prudence, available at any TL2 general store, perhaps even back to your crashed ship). You don't need to pause to let me specify what it is, you can declare it. (I'll veto it if it is out of line.) As a rule of thumb, it needs to be carried easily, as you've been doing so all along.

Examples:
  • So, I had said there were uninstalled drone mods in the farm basement with the base models. You could say "oh, I stuck one in my pack" and install it in one day instead of manufacturing it here (two days).
  • It is reasonable to assume you had a telescoping pole, or thermal flare on your spaceship when it crashed, and both have 0 encumberance, so you could retroactively say "oh, I thought I might need a collapsable 10' pole!" and pull it out of your pocket.
  • I am likely to deny repeated attempts to produce the same item, particularly if it is Enc 1 or more. So, producing one is fine, but saying every day that "Oh, I happened to stick a drone mod/Type B battery/portabox in my pack, and so I have five of them over five days" is egregious.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by jemmus »

Marullus wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:00 am ...I don't understand. :?
Me either. :) Revised the post to coherent text.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#243 Post by cybersavant »

Marullus wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:11 pm Balygyr:
cybersavant wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:28 am By triggering this power as an Instant action and Committing Effort for the day, the psychic can retroactively declare that they brought along any one object that they could have reasonably acquired and carried to this point.
[/color]
This is a fantastic ability, but that's not quite how it works. You can't use it to find something in a search that isn't presently there.

thought i'd try anyway - still going to do a search; and that drone mod sounds good
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by Marullus »

redwarrior wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:44 am When Kimberly mentions leaving, Hansel will hand her the vehicle's keys (assuming he found them) and ask her if she has somewhere in particular that she is headed. After a moment, he will look to Taavi and pitch his voice a bit so it will carry Or would you prefer to travel with us? You seem to know how to stay calm handle yourself around danger.
jemmus wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:14 am Taavi his assent to Taavi and Kimberly and looks around to see the other marshals' reactions. Ms. Kimberly, where we're going likely won't be very nice, or safe. Maybe even worse than it was here yesterday.
Kimberly Brown pulls her short hair back and secures it in a ponytail with a thong, considering the men before her. She then takes the keys to the rugged SUV from Hansel and shrugs.

"Can't say I am keen to go anywhere worse than what you all did here yesterday..." she smirks. "If you don't mind me taking a shotgun or two off those bouncers, a girl can't be too careful."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#246 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel wishes Kimberly well and makes sure that she has extra shells for the shotgun before she takes off, then looks back to Taavi What's the play, boss?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#247 Post by greyarea »

Emile says, We either need to fish or cut bait. Use the portal or destroy it. I don't mind much which, but my teacher said that "the journey is the adventure."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by jemmus »

I agree, I don't think we can leave here knowing next to nothing about the portal, Taavi says. He picks up his reloaded rifle. Ready to proceed, marshals? Balegyr, can you give us drone support?

Not sure how much time Baleygr spent modifying drones, but I assume that's already done at this point. Assuming everyone agrees to investigate the portal, Taavi proceeds down to the portal entry.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Marullus »

You just rested one overnight. You need to decide how ma y workdays you give Balygyr for him to do any work at all (if you pursue swiftly, he gets none).

If you are usithe portal i need to know what day you are doing so, and if you are going tovthe Werewolf base or to Orbit with it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

I need a decision on how many days that is (which sounds like Balygyr saying how many days of work he wants to do).

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#251 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri

"Right now i can just give you light, and my interpretations of what i see through the drones. Mods will take hours or days, depending on what parts i can find. With Oliver and the AI, the work will go faster - it's just finding and fitting the parts. The portal is intriguing, but in my current condition i'll need support. Do we have a timeline?"
gaming since 1980

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by jemmus »

Taavi
We don't have a timeline that I know of. We can further scout out this place while you do your modifications.
Last edited by jemmus on Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#253 Post by greyarea »

Emile: Let’s take two days and then reevaluate from there.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

We need clarification from cybersavant what he does with his first two days, and then what his wish-list is for more days.

I'm not going to have further encounters here, but the situation will change based on how long you do choose to stay (as well as how you leave, and what your destination is).

Hit Points:
Báleygr Gangleri (AC 13) 6 / 6
Shadrach (AC 16, 17 Shadows) 15 / 15 (+3 second night, +3 third night)
Hansel Shatner (AC 15) 23 / 26 (+3 second night, +3 third night)
Emile (AC 15) 10 / 10
Taavi Perttu (AC 14) 14 / 14 (+3 second night)
Nora (AC 13) 16 / 16 (+3 second night, +3 third night)
Oliver (AC 10) 3 / 3
Kimberly Brown (AC 14) 3 / 3

Hansel gets treated [1d6]=5[1d6]=6

Hansel needs some minstration at the hands of Nora, but everyone else gets past their bumps and bruises. By the end of the initial two days of downtime, everyone is fully healed.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#255 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri would like to first and foremost weaponize the drones,, failing that suggestions from the AI or Oliver
gaming since 1980

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Marullus »

Balygyr got:
Three Primitive Drones (TL3, Enc 2 each)
Two Stalker Drones (TL4, Enc 2 each)
Two Sleeper Drones (TL4, Enc 2 each)
I think he's used up all three primative drones - one as a kamikaze bomb on the roof, two shot down. Confirm is that right?

That means he's fitting the TL 4 drones, now (p. 80-81). The Stalker drones are TL4 antigrav, can have 3 Fittings, and have a 2km range. The Sleeper drones are TL4 antigrav, have an inherent Stationkeeping fitting and can loiter for days instead of hours between commands, they can have 4 fittings and have a 100km range. Without costing a fitting, all drones are wired for camera (in which I've included spotlights) and sound (which I've interpreted as both microphones AND speakers), but advanced capabilities beyond that require installing an Observation Suite.

You have just found the following surplus weapons (that remain unclaimed):
Weapons:
- Laser Pistol (Worn condition, two Type A cells)
- Revolver (Lightly Damaged, -1 to hit/damage)
- Revolver (Broken, unusable until repaired)
- Shotgun (Lightly Damaged, -1 to hit/damage)

(a semi-auto rifle was claimed by Hansel and another shotgun was claimed by Kimberly Brown. If any of the above were already claimed by a PC, let me know.)
Assuming you're arming the Stalker drones: it takes two fittings each (one for the weapon and one for the Ammo Unit). You have just found two broken revolvers (1d8, range 30/100) that could be repaired and then converted, or you can sacrifice a more valuable weapon from current inventory. (Manufacturing the drone component instead of converting doubles the time... so he can manufacture a drone-rifle mount by spending two days in this case, instead of the one day.)

- Balygyr must succed on a Difficult 10 skill check with his Fix skill to repair each revolver. He can have a +2 bonus from the workshop and helpers. If he fails, he needs to use a different weapon or accept its penalties as fixing it is currently beyond him.
- It then takes one day each to install it as drone weaponry, two days for both drones. This is another Fix check, difficulty 10. Failure means he spent the time but not the materials and can try again by spending another day.
- Rigging the Ammo Unit with it won't cost extra time or checks. If he chooses NOT to install the ammo unit (and keep two open fittings instead of one) then the drone can only hold 6 bullets and can't be reloaded until it comes back and lands and is handled out of combat. If it has the Ammo Unit, then then drone can be directed to reload itself with a new 6 bullets as a Main Action. These bullets still need to be tracked from inventory.

For Balygyr's personal aptitudes:
- His Tinker feat doesn't help here as-written because these aren't Mods that you then need to maintain (I'm letting you make them good enough to cost you that). The cost reduction portion of your feat is something I've also already calculated in by not charging you any cost to do these things.
- You can use your Sense the Need ability to pull 1 Enc worth of components you need from your pack because "you thought you'd need that some day." This could be 1 charge of explosives for a bomber fitting, working parts needed to build a revolver, laser pistol, SMG, or mag pistol fitting, or one load (12 doses) of the injectable medications needed for a Medical Support fitting.
- He's a better hacker than tinker right now, but that doesn't apply here. :)

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by jemmus »

Taavi has an undamaged semiautomatic pisto and an undamaged laser pistol. He can donate either one.
PCs

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#258 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel can donate either the combat/semi-auto rifle or his laser rifle to the cause. I think that the laser rifle would make the better choice, as it has greater standoff, so less likely to loose a drone to return fire. But good with either.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#259 Post by cybersavant »

Marullus wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:58 pm I think he's used up all three primative drones - one as a kamikaze bomb on the roof, two shot down. Confirm is that right? correct
That means he's fitting the TL 4 drones, now (p. 80-81). The Stalker drones are TL4 antigrav, can have 3 Fittings, and have a 2km range.

You have just found the following surplus weapons (that remain unclaimed):
Weapons:

Assuming you're arming the Stalker drones: it takes two fittings each (one for the weapon and one for the Ammo Unit).
This could be 1 charge of explosives for a bomber fitting, working parts needed to build a revolver, laser pistol, SMG, or mag pistol fitting, or one load (12 doses) of the injectable medications needed for a Medical Support fitting.

- Balygyr must succed on a Difficult 10 skill check with his Fix skill to repair each revolver. He can have a +2 bonus from the workshop and helpers. If he fails, he needs to use a different weapon or accept its penalties as fixing it is currently beyond him.
- It then takes one day each to install it as drone weaponry, two days for both drones. This is another Fix check, difficulty 10. Failure means he spent the time but not the materials and can try again by spending another day.
- Rigging the Ammo Unit with it won't cost extra time or checks. If he chooses NOT to install the ammo unit (and keep two open fittings instead of one) then the drone can only hold 6 bullets and can't be reloaded until it comes back and lands and is handled out of combat. If it has the Ammo Unit, then then drone can be directed to reload itself with a new 6 bullets as a Main Action. These bullets still need to be tracked from inventory.

Báleygr Gangleri

"I'll just work on one drone for now. I'd prefer to add that laser to it, and also a med mod. That way i can support you with both offence and medical aid if necessary. Then we can check the portal."

gaming since 1980

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Marullus »

Ambiance: Theme Song

Kimberly gratefully takes up the keys to a nice pickup truck, the working shotgun, and the extra ammo and disappears down the road, the plume of dust from her offroad tires fading from the horizon after a few hours.

Everyone else rests and recovers, injuries tangibly mending over the course of days. The Heavy controls the two sleeper drones, which loiter high above the repurposed strip mall, providing overwatch of the surrounding area to prevent surprises. While some vehicles are spotted in the distance, nothing comes close enough to be a concern to your group. With your free time, you are free to also take whatever else is in the empty building.
Marullus wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:25 pm 280 40 rounds of ammo (Four cases of 60, one scattering of an open box with 40. 1 Enc per case, or 1 enc per magazine, or 1 enc per 20 loose.)
Hansel - Two 30-round magazines
Taavi - two cases of 60 rounds each
Shadrach (via Hansel) - Case of 60 spike-thrower ammo

6 5 Type A power cells
Hansel - 1 Type A power cell
22 transportable packaged meals-ready-to-eat
Taavi - 5 TL5 Spare Parts

15 common items
- 4 Bedrolls
Emile (2), Taavi (1) - 3 Grenades
- Utility Tarp
- 3 Oil Flasks
Taavi (1) - 2 TL2 Toolkits
Taavi (1) - 3 Crowbars
- 20m Hemp Rope (TL 1)
- 5 Stims
3 uncommon item
- 3 TL3 Spare Parts
Taavi - TL4 Medkit

Weapons:
- Revolver (Broken, unusable until repaired)
Hansel - Semi-Auto Rifle (Worn, no penalties)
- Shotgun (Lightly Damaged, -1 to hit/damage)
- Shotgun (Worn, no penalties)

Armor:
Taavi - Hide Armor (AC 14, Enc 1)
- Shield (AC 13 or +1 AC, Enc 2)
Hansel - Old Terran Clothing (AC 13, Enc 0)
- Scrap Mail (AC 15, Enc 2)
Hansel - Harmony Armor (AC 16, Enc 1)

Random Belongings:
- Link-interfaced sensory record
Taavi - Apartment or home keycard
Taavi - Ultra-sharp wire cutters
- Fleet recruitment holoflyer
- Long synthsilk robe
- Fingertip laser pointer
Taavi - Hidden flyer for a rebel group
Taavi - Keycard to rebel base

Hansel - bottle of whiskey

"I'll just work on one drone for now. I'd prefer to add that laser to it, and also a med mod. That way i can support you with both offence and medical aid if necessary. Then we can check the portal," says Báleygr.

Báleygr sets to work on kitting out one of the anti-grav stalker drones, sequestering himself in the mechanic's shop. The Heavy pulses a gentle blue light as it provides commentary on the poor state of the technology available here, by its estimation. Oliver is glued to Báleygr's side, trying every moment to chatter with questions, be indispensible, or both. Nora loiters leaning against the doorjam of the garage, watching Oliver. Her tension gradually lessens.
Hansel donates his laser rifle. (Remove from your sheet. Báleygr pulls a starship medpak from his duffel. "I had a feeling I'd need this," he comments, disassembling both TL4 items into a dizzying array of components on his worktable before reconfiguring them into the drone chassis.

The work takes longer to finish than expected; at the end of the second day, Báleygr is not finished. The group waits a third day before the mechanic's table is cleared of spare parts and the drone hovers successfully, passing its testing phase and certified for use.

You now have one stalker drone equipped with a laser rifle, ammo unit, and medical support fittings (and with no fittings to spare).

...what's next?

Return to “Dust to Dust (SWN)”