Lady Tquia's Monkey [Risus]

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Lady Tquia's Monkey [Risus]

#1 Post by tibbius »

The Berudine poet, Dhal Sard, almost dances on the small stage as he punctuates his staccato rhymes with abrupt gestures of his hands and feet. He's mixing verses of the Prophet Idim with a scandalous tale of perverted romance between an Onderban merchant and a Native baroness.

You're drinking the cheap wine that they serve in the basement of Pretty Birds, slouching on cushions around a low table in the corner of the stone-walled room; your feet rest on the raw dirt of the basement floor. Oil lamps hung from the walls cast steady shadows and small spirals of smoke.

From a nearby table you hear a bit of conversation:

"... think the unliving really don't remember their past loves, or is it just some kind of weird taboo?"

"Don't think it matters. They simply won't acknowledge those they knew in life."

"Heard if they do, they drop down right away, they're done."

"Anyway, they don't like living folk to speculate about their ... situation. Best we talk of something else."

This will be a game of Risus, set in the City Around Empty Street. I'll discuss a few house rules and options with anyone who's interested in playing. The game most likely will involve stealing a monkey from a baroness' townhouse and delivering the beast to an alchemist, although I'm always open to players going off in unexpected directions - especially with Risus.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Lady Tquia's Monkey [Risus]

#2 Post by Leitz »

Undead, baroness, and alchemist make me think fantasy. Of course, modern fantasy, or even sci-fi fantasy is possible. Are you looking at "dark and gritty" or "light and fun"?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

I'm thinking more of a picaresque romp than a grinding misery.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by shaidar »

Ooh, I had to look up 'picaresque', so it's educational too :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:56 pm Ooh, I had to look up 'picaresque', so it's educational too :)
Yeah, me too. :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

Would the Risus Companion be useful, for the "full experience"?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by tibbius »

It's a fun read, but I think it is not really necessary to play in this game. But it is entertaining! If you splash out the money for it, I would be open to any suggestions for rules to be included from it.

However ... here is a link to a DRAFT of the setting book, in epub format.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

Thanks for the share.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:52 pm It's a fun read, but I think it is not really necessary to play in this game. But it is entertaining! If you splash out the money for it, I would be open to any suggestions for rules to be included from it.

However ... here is a link to a DRAFT of the setting book, in epub format.
I'm getting "permission denied" on the URL.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:02 pm I'm getting "permission denied" on the URL.
I told Google to share it, does it work now?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by The Bindoner »

No, I was asked to request access (which I did).

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

The Bindoner wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:31 pm No, I was asked to request access (which I did).
you should get an e-mail saying that access is granted
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by The Bindoner »

tibbius wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:33 pm
The Bindoner wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:31 pm No, I was asked to request access (which I did).
Thanks. Received and downloaded. :D

A lot of reading, I'll take in bite-sized chunks as I work :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:33 pm
Yup.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

I like the setting, has a bit of a Llankmar vibe, but different.

Early days yet, but any thoughts on characters? Still pondering, but currently thinking about a street urchin/artful dodger type.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:34 pm I like the setting, has a bit of a Llankmar vibe, but different.

Early days yet, but any thoughts on characters? Still pondering, but currently thinking about a street urchin/artful dodger type.
Sort of same character concept, 4th story lad (the first three stories are child's play), boyish charm. He works for Celia of Celia's oysters, so that connection is an option. Likely the pair know each other, even if they don't work together.

If you want to build them as a pair, lemme know. You've seen how I do back-story. :)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by shaidar »

Great minds, eh? Maybe I'll think up something else, like a street thug from staggertown, depending on what The Bindoner is thinking up.

We can still build in a link, such as the same orphanage.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Leitz »

Mine has "Abandoned by parents", and then picked up by the dancers as a cliche. Happy to build the link, I'll draft some back-story and send it over so you can tell me how they might integrate.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by shaidar »

I was thinking of 'Barely escaped a rampaging steam-powered tiger' and/or 'Broke the pankratist’s jaw with your weak hand', but still thinking how to work it in.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Leitz »

Here's what I have so far
####
Balanced on the peak of the palace guardhouse (4)
- 4th story lad

Boyishly charming (3)
- variant of "She smiled to see you – you have a generally charming personality, which aids you in daily life, commercial transactions, and tricky interpersonal affairs."

Abandoned by parents (2)
- Street smarts

Reading People (2)
- You saw the clockmaker’s secret affair on her face – always been skilled at reading people’s secrets from their faces and gestures. It’s almost but not quite magical, and you have to conceal it lest people freak out.

+3 Lucky Shots

Hook - Honest and Trusting. If he gives his loyalty to someone, then he is very loyal and won't cheat or slight them. He can steal, and then turns over everything before getting for his payment, etc.
###

So, if your character is more physical, that gives a Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser feel. The Bindoner usually comes up with interesting characters, and the potential of all three being from the same area/background/orphanage is an option. There are other street smarts options, and of course The Bindoner could come up with an upper class person for even more variety.

Return to “Looking for players or games”