Return to the Surface I

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Return to the Surface I

#1 Post by dmw71 »

The Well
The original party, having been informed that the strange circumstances in which they were forced to enter the dungeon are now resolved, request that the newcomers lead them back to the base of the well... which, it turns out, was very nearby!

Well.jpg
Well.jpg (133.56 KiB) Viewed 658 times
(Note: The party members are spread out on the map for illumination purposes only.)

The newcomers backtrack and lead the original party to a dark, 40-foot-square room with a thin layer of sand covering the floor; and walls decorated with graffiti and dented, rusty shields.

However, looming overhead, the sight of a giant opening -- the previously closed well -- seems to be of primary importance.

Rope
Still at rest at the bottom of this 40-foot-diameter well is the rope, which is attached to a simple pulley mechanism overhead that Durnan, the proprietor of the Yawning Portal, charges 1 gold piece per individual to lower and raise dungeon occupants.

Noise
While waiting for her turn to be lifted, Baroness Nella is convinced she hears soft, retreating footfalls coming from the north... which is odd, considering the well and the corridor the group entered from to the south appear to be the only points of egress.

It costs 1 gold piece per character, but everyone is lifted back to the surface.

Here is where I will need each player to chime in with a list of plans for their character.

• Resting requirements.
  • Inventory requests.
  • Anything else you want to accomplish on the surface before venturing back into the dungeon again.

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Return to the Surface I

#2 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Lika

"How odd. When do you think this well appeared? Would we have even found it if these fine people didn't just come down it? The mind boggles."

Lika will take the opportunity to fly up the well if space permits, assuming Nella doesn't call a halt because of something...

He will buy waterskins to make four and check for any local wanted posters. She wants to be sure her quarry hasn't been found yet. He will also inquire as to how long they've been down there. Time can be tricky.

If we do a short rest, Lika can heal people twice. A long rest and a reset, expedition-wise, may be a good idea.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Unari

Unari will buy waterskins to bring hers to 4 and iron rations to get to 10 days.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Computer +1 »

Dougan Rivers arrives to the top of the well in a huff. He paid an urchin to keep watch and let him know before the next group of adventures set off to explore the dungeons but when the message arrived he was too late to join. Cursing his luck he gathered up materials he felt would be essential and made his way to the well. Packed to the brim, the tall lanky man arrives and looks for the group freshly emerged up the well.

To the party he asks Excuse me, but are you all planning on heading back down? Perhaps I could join you? Undermountain is woefully under researched, there are significant gaps in written material and most of what exists becomes out of date so quickly. I myself am attempting to fill some of these gaps perhaps to be published as a guide as such. He holds in his ink stained hands a journal with several visible notes sticking out of it. My name is Rivers, Dougan Rivers. Abjurer and Sage.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ravenn4544 »

Xanlanan will also lend whatever coin is necessary to the logistics of water. He was initially paying attention to that discussion, but got quite distracted with the secret door and the oddity of the well itself.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

"Well then, Dougan Rivers," says an elegant noble woman as she emerges from the group, "we are of common purpose. I am the Baroness Nella, or the Honorable Lady Ghent, should you prefer. I am endeavoring to sketch and paint the architecture and features below to improve just such a scholarly endeavor," she smiles warmly, pulling her sketchbook and an armful of canvases from her pack. "Come - I've reserved a private room for the evening and you can attempt to win the approval of my companions before we begin."

Once everyone is settled into the private room at the Yawning Portal, Baroness Nella produces three more bottles of fine wine from her backpack, pausing and reconsidering, leaving just the last one within. "Best to keep one... just in case." She uncorks each and palces them out on the long wooden table between them. "Luckily, my cousins here - House Phylund - have a generous supply of Tashluta vintage. Please, assist me in drinking it this evening as we celebrate this new companionship! Please tell us of yourself, especially for those that are joining us new. The others have been tested by battle, of course, but our acquaintance is only a few days longer."

After the introductions, Nella displays her sketches of the area below once more.
"There is the area just north here from the room where we met - that which is just east of the mirrored hallway - and that is where the observers likely link to. We have not explored that quarter. I would be less interested - as anything so near the well is well-trodden - except for the mystery of whom is watching the well. Otherwise, there is only a single room we are aware of that we didn't explore."

She points to the candlelit hallway at the bottom left corner, jabbing it with her finger. "Then this... this is where we expect to go next, and where there is a greater mystery and perhaps greater challenge. Whatever host keeps it clean and well lit is providing a show of their magical capability. We don't know what we face, but it promises to be more interesting... and perhaps more of a challenge, meriting more companions."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#7 Post by Scott308 »

Gruuthuk

The bugbear will happily help himself to the wine, grabbing a bottle and taking a big slug without bothering to pour into a glass. He'll then hold it out to anyone else who wants some.

He will pick up two more waterskins and some more arrows. He'll also spend some time using his kit to make some poison.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Lika

Lika bursts from the well like a geyser, quickly reaching the ceiling and having to abort their joyflight. Once they descend, they take Gruuthuk up on his offer and enjoy the used bottle of wine.

"I agree with the Baroness, that clean hallway is the most intriguing. Aside from the mystery of the peephole, of course."

What's the vote, short or long rest? Lika gains only a little extra mechanically for a long rest. (a 3d6 healing pool of dice)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:42 am He'll also spend some time using his kit to make some poison.
I love this idea!

But...

Per the rules on 'Crafting and Harvesting Poison,' you can use the downtime rules regarding 'Crafting' to create items.

1. In 5 gold pieces per day increments.
  2. And the process will cost half the total market value in raw materials.

So, considering a vial of basic poison costs 100 gold pieces, it will take Gruuthuk 20 days to craft it and will require spending 50 gold pieces for the required raw materials.

Monsieur Rose wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:33 pm What's the vote, short or long rest? Lika gains only a little extra mechanically for a long rest. (a 3d6 healing pool of dice)
Twenty days will definitely qualify as a long rest. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Alright, guys, let's get it together here.

Those most in position to benefit from the return to the surface are the original party members. I just need to know how long you plan to stay above-ground (one hour for a short rest; one night for a long rest; or maybe even the full twenty days needed to allow Gruthuuk the time needed to craft his poison). I will let you know the cost for this stay depending upon how long it will be.

As for any purchases, anything in the PHB is available at cost. There's also the rain catcher. Feel free to shop on your own; adding any items purchased and deducting whatever coins spent.

Finally, can I have everyone indicate their readiness to continue by simply replying in this thread. I'm particularly concerned with a couple of our new members (namely, Direjackalope and torkill, whom haven't posted since November 21st and November 20th respectively).

Please:
  1. Reach an agreement on time spent on the surface,
  2. Make any purchases, and
  3. Be ready to take the second dive into the dungeon over the weekend, or maybe Monday depending upon the timing of the responses to the above requests.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

While Lika and Nella refresh in short rests, Xanlanan is through half his spells and needs a long rest. All three of them and Gruuthuk also need some hit points that are more easily restored by a long rest.

I advocate a long rest, purchase of waterskins to get to two per person (math noted previously) and the rain catcher with barrel if Gruuthuk wants it.

I don't think we are considering 20 days at this juncture (the second half didn't get to adventure at all yet) unless Gruuthuk wants to advocate for it.

...I also hope some folks jump in and roleplay introducing their characters and sharing the story so far IC. :)

For simplicity, Nella offered to pay for all of that from her bank account, if that gets us moving. I think that all tracks with the IC plan as well:
Marullus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:39 pm Baroness Nella considers thoughtfully, then nods in concurrence with Lika and Unari. "Quite so. It will be good to see the inside of the Yawning Portal and have a good night's rest. I will gladly secure a back room table that we can discuss and plan freely, rather than doing so here, if you prefer." Turning to the newly-encountered companions, she adds, "If your enthusiasm is not dampened by only a hundred yards of adventure, we would be glad to add you to our number, should you agree to set out afresh tomorrow. A night of discussion would save save you a fair bit of trouble and I believe our next route will be best-served by a larger group of companions."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#12 Post by Scott308 »

Gruuthuk

We take time to come up, so spend night here. Go back in morning. Drink tonight! He will tell the newcomers a bit more of what the party has faced so far. Found mirrors that made shadow come out and attack. Stayed out of hall after first shadows. Don't know what on other end. Found dead guy, head bashed in with shovel. Broken statue. Lots dead goblins. Some got away. Bugbears try ambush us. Not good as me, though. They dead now. Anyone spending any time at all with Gruuthuk will quickly realize the best place to be is somewhere upwind of him. His table manners and personal hygiene are atrocious. His filthy fur is matted and quite possibly crawling with things best not thought about. At seven and a half feet tall, it is unfortunately rather difficult to avoid the wafting stench he emits. But when combat is imminent, he is a good person to have on your side, as his blades and arrows leave death in his wake. His size belies his agility, as he is rather more dexterous than one would think for his height.

I admit I hadn't looked at the crafting rules before. There is no way I'm going to spend 20 days up top to make one vial of poison. The money we would spend on room and board would probably make that a more expensive proposition than just buying poison- but at 100gp a vial it is way overpriced for what it does.

Gruuthuk does buy two more waterskins for a personal total of 4. He also picks up an extra quiver full of arrows (total of 35 now). I think the raincatcher may be of use. Gruuthuk can attach it to his backpack and carry it. I'm not actually sure how useful a barrel would be. We'd have to either keep moving it as we advance through the dungeon, or continually backtrack anytime we needed to use it, and that may not always be easy- or possible- but he is willing to carry it back down if we wish to give it a go.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Computer +1 »

Dougan is relieved that someone from the party acknowledged him. I am charmed Lady Ghent and thank you for your invitation. I am quite excited to see your drawings! Perhaps a joint scholarly effort could be beneficial to both of us..

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Lika

Long rest it is.

Lika does notice the matted fur of Gruuthuk and inches closer to determine what, if anything, is crawling around on him. "Master Gruuthuk, if you aren't going to eat those bugs, would you mind terribly if I sample them?"

"The food here is adequate, but a dash of spice always makes things nicer."

They will join the conversation about architecture and conjecture about origins of the mirrored hall and clean corridor.

It looks like the injured are:
Gruuthuk 25/36 HP
Nella 23/29
Lika 29/39
Xanlanan 18/33
Xanbin 28/35

Lika will heal as they can.
Cure Wounds: [3d8+3]=17+3=20 For Xanlanan ! now at 33/33
Cure Wounds: [3d8+3]=9+3=12 For Gruuthuk, now at 36/36
Healing Light [1d6]=4 For Nella, now at 27/29
Healing Light [1d6]=4 For Lika, now at 33/39
Healing Light [1d6]=6 For Xanbin, now at 34/35

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

Thank you! I was looking to this last post for details and I don't know where to find Xanbin's injury.

The long rest will reset everyone to full hit points, so we're good to go in the morning.
I don't see any spent hit dice; but it would restore two HD per character (I think) if we had spent them.
Xanlanan gets back his spells on long rest.
Lika gets back her spells and Nella gets back her Ki on either short or long rest.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Unari

I got my D&D Beyond account fixed. Unari updated, added more water skins and rations. I am all for the water catcher, very useful item, but Unari is a poor choice to carry it due to her small size/average Strength. Maybe we should spend some coin on healing potions?

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”