A Return to 1e!

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: A Return to 1e!

#21 Post by Spearmint »

I was or still am, a player in another 1e game though that one seems to have stalled. So I can be your number eight to fill the spaces out.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by rredmond »

dmw71 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:59 pm
lich_queen wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:55 pm *biting a knuckle *

Okay, I’ll play if there’s room.
:lol:

You're in.
:lol:
WSF and secondary skills I’m going to have to re-look at. I knew you’d have a little Capt Crunch in your game. Looking forward to it. You’re in for a treat lich_queen!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dave I didn't mean to spoil it just figured fair warning I've died in your games but had a hell of a lot of fun doing it. Strangest sentence I've written probably. Seen someone else bring about their own doom before it too. Halfling dissecting giant frogs we defeated would be the most deserving/interesting death I've "witnessed" then again they did opt to do this barehanded. My memory is strange as hell sorry.

At any rate glad to be back in a game of yours Dave!
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

lich_queen
Scout
Scout

#24 Post by lich_queen »

rredmond wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:16 pm You’re in for a treat lich_queen!
Red, I’m not sure if that’s a good thing.

Btw, what is ‘WFS’?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by rredmond »

Weapon Speed Factor. A somewhat rarely used rule in 1e. But that was a mistake. I should have written WvAC, weapons versus AC, which is what Dave said he might use. It’s another rarely used rule in 1e. :lol:
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Did I miss it do we have a forum? Is it this: viewforum.php?f=1184 ? I want to make sure I subscribe to the correct game! :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:31 pm Did I miss it do we have a forum? Is it this: viewforum.php?f=1184 ? I want to make sure I subscribe to the correct game! :)
That's the one. Where you should also have a private forum. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#28 Post by Scott308 »

Hmm. Color me intrigued. Looks like you've got a full party, so I'll start the waitlist. I like playing old modules, since I didn't really play that many of them back in the day.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:32 am Hmm. Color me intrigued.
If you want in, there can definitely be room.

I have a feeling this game might splinter off into different adventuring groups, each working independently.

Or not.

Either way, many of the TSR-published modules suggest larger parties (or expect the use of hirelings) so having a single, larger group won't be the worst thing.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Modric
Guide
Guide

#30 Post by Modric »

Any room left? If not, I'd be fine on the wait list! Thx

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by dmw71 »

Modric wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:57 pm Any room left? If not, I'd be fine on the wait list! Thx
Absolutely! I'll get you added now.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Modric
Guide
Guide

#32 Post by Modric »

Awesome. Thanks!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Updated: Greyhawk Campaign Sandbox (1e)

#33 Post by dmw71 »

I have not reread the previous posts in this thread from when I originally posted this, but I expect much of it to be the same. Prospective players can as well.

Discussion from this post forward will be for the relaunch of my forthcoming 1e game which will be set in the Greyhawk campaign setting.

Which, I admit, I am still trying to fully conceptualize.

There's been a lot of support for launching this new campaign by running T1. I will almost certainly do this, or something extremely close to this as part of the upcoming campaign. The start of this, however, will still take me a bit of time to prepare for.

At the same time, I plan to open up the world of Greyhawk as a complete sandbox. Any player that would like to participate can pick a region on the Darlene map they're interested in and I'll spring up some seeds in that area and get them started.

This may result in a LOT of concurrent games -- both solo and group -- so while I plan to be checking in and updating in the forum pretty much daily (or multiple times a day), each individual game may feel to be progressing more slowly -- out of necessity, as there's a limit on how much I can do at a time.

In fact, any player that is interested in starting elsewhere in Greyhawk (by "elsewhere," I mean not in the immediate area of T1), I would probably be willing to get the game started immediately.

== Random Tangents ==

Expect the character generation process to be a collaborative effort between the player and DM, and likely vastly different from anything I have done before.

Most, if not all, of this character generation will be conducted in a private sub-forum.

The decisions we collectively make during this process will inform the specific starting areas within Greyhawk that your character will hail from, and where I focus my setting preparation efforts as I am no expert on Greyhawk lore.

This game will begin pre-Greyhawk wars, and potentially (if not likely) in 576 CY.

I will be using/relying upon Greyhawk lore provided from the boxed set, but this will be my version of Greyhawk there may very well be deviations from official lore or canon.

Character alignment will be extremely important, and while I was tempted to test a five-alignment system (e.g. Holmes Basic or 4e), I will be sticking with the core nine-alignment system from the 1e rules.

While certainly more qualified or heroic than a common NPC, do not expect PCs to automatically be superior from a mechanical standpoint.

Expect to struggle.

Characters will begin the game poor! Potentially monk poor. PCs will need things and not have the money to acquire them immediately. Characters, especially early on, should expect to feel a constant need to become treasure-seekers.

Befriending NPCs will be important. Hirelings as well, potentially.

Languages are going to be featured more prominently in this campaign. The "common" tongue is a thing, but it is more of a lingua franca than a full language allowing full fluency between every PC and every other human/demihuman being they will ever encounter.

Greyhawk has many languages; expect these to be far more important than the generic "common" language. One of the experiments I am considering is the assignment of levels to languages spoken (for example, a PC may speak Flan 2, Elven 1, Goblin 1, etc...). I haven't fully fleshed this idea out yet (and I'm open to feedback/thoughts on this), but expect a level 1 language to represent a rudimentary understanding of that language -- but not fluency. I took one semester of Spanish in high school and remember very little of it. I can count to ten, and understand a few words of it, but would be absolutely incapable of conducting a meaningful conversation with someone whose first language was Spanish (and who spoke very little English). My level of 'Spanish' language would be 1... if I'm being generous.

Again, a system for this whole 'languages' idea I have in mind is something still very much under development.

This, actually, is one of the main reasons why a player/DM collaboration will be important during the character creation process. To determine what languages your PC will speak, and at what level of fluency.

Situation depending, plan to encounter significantly more role-playing situations than combat situations. If you're in a dungeon, obviously it stands that the risk of combat is significantly higher. In town, or while traveling, expect for a lot of NPC interaction.

The world is extremely human-centric, and human races will exist pretty much everywhere. Where your character was born may limit what non-human options are available.

More to come....
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by dmw71 »

Let's move the discussion from the general LFP thread and use this as the official recruitment post for my forthcoming Greyhawk campaign.

Feel free to discuss or express interest here.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rex »

I am very interested!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:14 am I am very interested!
I've added you to the forum and created a private sub-forum for you.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rex »

Thanks!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by dmw71 »

Note:
When expressing your official interest in joining this campaign, please also indicate where in the world (of Greyhawk) you'd be interested in exploring.

The T1 game will begin play in the general area of Hommlet. If you're interested in being a part of that game once it starts, please indicate as much (knowing that, because it's an official module and will take me more time to prepare, it likely will not start in the immediate future; whereas other random areas in Greyhawk (to be determined by the players), will likely get started more quickly).

It is fine to have multiple characters running in different places, though I am going to impose a limit of two characters per player, at least to start.
-- Project --
-- DM --

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by cybersavant »

What are your thoughts on a Grey Elf Bladesinger from Celene?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:14 am Note:
When expressing your official interest in joining this campaign, please also indicate where in the world (of Greyhawk) you'd be interested in exploring.
This could be a known settlement (e.g. Furyondy or Veluna City), a geographic feature (e.g. the Cairn Hills, the Isle of Serpents, or the Quetzal River, etc...), or really any place on Darlene's map.

For example, you guys pick a random hex in the Shield Lands:

Shield Lands.jpg
Shield Lands.jpg (163.69 KiB) Viewed 323 times

I would create an initial situation for that spot (e.g. maybe the player/s stumble upon a lost temple). The player/group could pursue this initial adventure seed -- or not.

If not, from this starting location, maybe the group wants to head to Critwall instead? Or to the Horned Society? Perhaps, while heading to the Horned Society, adventure takes them up or down the Ritensa River instead?

The possibilities are endless.

The point being, whatever location you guys pick, I will generate some adventure seeds and float them your way. You can elect to pursue them or not. If not, I'll need some additional direction or guidance as to what you're looking for.

To an extent, this campaign can be thought as being a highly collaborative worldbuilding experience.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Looking for players or games”