This train is bound for glory

ateno
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: This train is bound for glory

#121 Post by bsongy »

Marco said:
He gives the business card to Hiro when he returns.

Hiro studies the map Marco provides. "Excellent work, Marco! We do not yet have a better business opportunity and this looks like a relatively straight forward job. I think we will take the job, unless we get a better offer at breakfast from Sir Lt Dyver." Hiro will notify Dev and Monte that he intends to breakfast with the gentleman, asks if they would also attend.

Hiro then checks in on the guards: Ophelia, Naddie, Dundee and Nevri. "Any problems today? Comments or suggestions?" Hiro will listen to any comments they have. When they are finished, he says "Naddie and Dundee. We will be breakfasting at Sir Lt Dyver's house to discuss a business matter. He is a military man. You two will be going along to provide an additional air of professionalism. I want uniforms washed and pressed tonight. Dressed and groomed by 0600 for inspection. The goal is for you two to look like the most professional soldiers possible. Do your best. Let me know if you need anything." Hiro will insure all four of the recruits are squared away for the night before moving on.

Hiro does his own research on Phoenix mining, Grapho Beeh and the nations adjacent to the island who may have claim on it. He particularly notes if any nation has started generating Notices to Mariners and Airmen for the surrounding waters or airspace, filed any legal paperwork to pay international fees for the islands population or natural resources, starting issuing weather reports for the island, and so forth. It would also be interesting if this island happened to be named the Isle of Manschee. Concerning Phoenix mining and Grapho Beeh, Hiro looks for any news articles, financial reports filed, stock offerings or dramatic movements in price, and so forth.

Hiro will then walk the ship, checking in on engineering, cargo and flight deck, making sure everything is in order.

Finally, past midnight, Hiro sets an alarm for 0500, then climbs into his bunk to sleep.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by ateno »

Marco

You are awaken at 5am with a knock and coffee and a local jam filled bread roll by Dundee.

Hiro
You are also awaken at 5 am with you caff and a local jam filled bread roll by Ophelia.

Arriving at the address, you have to park along side the road, a Large panel truck just leaves as you pull in.
You leave about a lane and a half for access, Luckily this road does not appear to be very well travelled.

At the head of the stairs you see Mr. Dyver with a wooden lower appendage and cane with a large base.

"Come in, the caterers just left." He points down the road.

"Neighbors will talk no matter what happens."

On a table with 12 chairs that looks like its not used much is a spread of eggs, breads, jams and meats, also a large pot of coffee is available.

"Your troops can sit here or at the staff hall, I don't mind eating with the real men, or women of the line."

After a bit a food and talk about the other worlds.

"So at the fort, all those years ago, the leadership council that took the place, that included me found the enemy's pay packet. It included precious metals and jewels and jewelry. which I found odd. We hid it in a lock box and buried it."

He pauses

"At the end is was just a Captain and I, I got hurt and after coming out of my coma and getting my head on straight I found the Captain had dies also and I was suppose to stand up for a award."

He drinks Caff with his shacking hand.

"So its still there, you are rich beyond my dreams, and might consider the months pay for a battalion minor change, but if we could go there, find it and retrieve it, I would say 50% would set me for my days, and perhaps allow some extra monies for your operations. You would geet first choice of the 50%. Could you help an broken soldier out?"
Last edited by ateno on Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by The Bindoner »

Hiro studies the map Marco provides. "Excellent work, Marco! We do not yet have a better business opportunity and this looks like a relatively straight forward job. I think we will take the job, unless we get a better offer at breakfast from Sir Lt Dyver." Hiro will notify Dev and Monte that he intends to breakfast with the gentleman, asks if they would also attend.
Monte replies: A civilised breakfast would be nice. Count me in.

He sets a personal alarm, to give himself time to exercise and shower before setting out.

Monte sits sipping at his coffee and eating a modest plate of food as the old soldier talks, listening intently.

When the man finishes Monte looks around his companions expectantly: This has the ingredients of an interesting expedition.

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#124 Post by bsongy »

GM said:
Monte sai:
Monte replies: A civilised breakfast would be nice. Count me in.

"Excellent. I will be interested in your opinion, once we hear the offer." Hiro continues "Perhaps we can arrange to accomplish both missions, if the locations and timeline workout."

GM said:
You are also awaken at 5 am with you caff and a local jam filled bread roll by Ophelia.

Hiro thanks Ophelia, then efficiently runs through his daily exercise, grooming and dressing. He gives Naddie and Dundee a quick inspection to see if they are in proper form, before the drive to Sir Lt Dyers home.

GM said:
On a table with 12 chairs that looks like its not used much is a spread of eggs, breads, jams and meats, also a large pot of coffee is available. "Your troops can sit here or at the staff hall, I don't mind eating with the real men, or women of the line."

"That is very gracious of you. Thank you." replies Hiro, gesturing to Naddie and Dundee to take their seats. For Hiro, this breakfast is a bit of test for the two recruits, an opportunity to see how they carry themselves in a social situation.

If Dev has accompanied the group to breakfast, Hiro makes a point to assist her with her chair, before taking his own seat.

Hiro pours himself a cup of caff, and prepares himself a small plate of eggs and meats.

GM said:

"So at the fort, all those years ago, the leadership council that took the place, that included me found the enemy's pay packet. It included precious metals and jewels and jewelry. which I found odd. We hid it in a lock box and buried it." He pauses "At the end is was just a Captain and I, I got hurt and after coming out of my coma and getting my head on straight I found the Captain had dies also and I was suppose to stand up for a award." He drinks Caff with his shacking hand. "So its still there, you are rich beyond my dreams, and might consider the months pay for a battalion minor change, but if we could go there, find it and retrieve it, I would say 50% would set me for my days, and perhaps allow some extra monies for your operations. You would get first choice of the 50%. Could you help an broken soldier out?"

Monte said:
When the man finishes Monte looks around his companions expectantly: This has the ingredients of an interesting expedition.

Hiro returns Monte's look, then to Sir Lt Dyers says "Of course we will help. How could we not come to he aid of a brave warrior such as yourself? Yes, we have expenses, but I am sure the 50% is fair. My primary concern is not in our payment, but in insuring that you, a noble soldier, can live out your life in comfort and dignity you deserve."

Hiro pauses to sip his caff.

Producing his handcomputer, Hiro displays the planetary map previously acquired by Monte. "Where is this Isle of Manschee? indicating the map. He will also inquire about the size of the lock box and where it is hidden on the island.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by ateno »

bsongy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:21 pm Producing his handcomputer, Hiro displays the planetary map previously acquired by Monte. "Where is this Isle of Manschee? indicating the map. He will also inquire about the size of the lock box and where it is hidden on the island.
http://tinyurl.com/27nswwrv

On the first full middle triangle on the map near the bottom is a 3 hex island called the Isle on Manschee.
You are about 4000 kilometers (4 hexes) Northwest of the top of the island.

Lt Dyver: "In my prime time it was a vibrant island of wanna be criminals and pirates. Local tough men owned small parts, but never fought each other, but never exchanged information. Our country was the main target but they took down the whole areas economics. After we put our heels to them, we stayed there for five years setting up a bit of a colony and taking reparations. Politics and policies changed, we pulled out. They are not a a group of about 7 kingdoms and pay homage to the OverKing of Manchee who rotates on death to the next kingdom, except for assassination, blah blah.

My fort is here....
Points to the western corner of the top and middle hex. Fort Chicong is a Star fort with a corner missing. We destroyed it on leaving. They built it back later, anyway I have some pictures saved from my days. If you look at the second picture a stairs, the portmanto is underground to the left as you enter.
Attachments
a3.jpg
a3.jpg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 696 times
a2.jpg
a2.jpg (318.99 KiB) Viewed 696 times
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (740.87 KiB) Viewed 696 times

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#126 Post by bsongy »

GM Said:
On the first full middle triangle on the map near the bottom is a 3 hex island called the Isle on Manschee.
You are about 4000 kilometers (4 hexes) Northwest of the top of the island.

Had a discussion offline, with the GM, about the location of the Isle of Manschee on the Grans Planetary map.
Hiro stares at the map, thinking about what it will take to complete the recovery of the pay box.

About the island, Hiro asks "What nation currently controls the island, or is the Overking the Supreme Authority? Any national military forces stationed there? What kind of forces do the strongmen and Overking maintain? Any travel bans to the island? Are the island pirates and smugglers, naval pirates or air pirates?"

About the fort, Hiro asks "A masonry star fort? Fort Chicong, must be a fifty to a hundred years old, yes? Which of the 7 strongmen or Overking currently holds Fort Chicong? Which part of the island is Fort Chicong located on? North is towards the top of the map, in the third map that covers the local region and farmland? I see the entrances to the underground magazines in each corner; can you provide a hand drawn map of any underground passages or galleries? Can you tell me how many floors and how many rooms per floor in each of these buildings? In regards to where you hid the lock box, I am not sure which staircase you are referring to; can you clarify? Which corner did you destroy before departing - NE, NW, SE, or SW? Did they build it back the destroyed corner to the original plan as when you were there, or did they make alterations?"

About the lock box, Hiro asks "Monthly pay for a battalion sized force? Includes gems and jewelry? How big, just approximately, is the box? How heavy is it? Could one man carry it? Where, exactly is it located? Buried, under the floor, in the walls, or elsewhere? How is it hidden? What would it take to access it?"

Hiro looks to Monte and any others attending the breakfast, looking to see if they have any comments.

"If the defenders place a machine gun, automatic rifle or small artillery piece at the C or the semi-circular indentations, it would have murderous lanes of fire. With the strong defensive walls, I think gaining entry, via stealth or subterfuge, will be key to success."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Stirling »

Marco Hulsebosch

Scoffs the doughnut, quaffs the coffee, gets to work duties.

Not sure what he is assigned to in a specific sense so settles in engineering. He will ping the mining operations director that Captain Watanabe is at another priority meeting but will engage him shortly with a consideration of his request.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by ateno »

bsongy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:49 pm About the island, Hiro asks "What nation currently controls the island, or is the Overking the Supreme Authority? Any national military forces stationed there? What kind of forces do the strongmen and Overking maintain? Any travel bans to the island? Are the island pirates and smugglers, naval pirates or air pirates?"
"The Overking controls the island, I think that area is controlled by 'Maxwell the Lithe, they were both leaders during the fight. The forces are that that someone can bring and swear to a bigger person, all the way up to the Overking. There is nothing really organized. Travel is allowed, people go there for the gambling and loose rules, but its expensive. Forces are a mix of air and navel. Some ground, which is why we won last time. I don't have enough politics to tell you who runs that area."
About the fort, Hiro asks "A masonry star fort? Fort Chicong, must be a fifty to a hundred years old, yes? Which of the 7 strongmen or Overking currently holds Fort Chicong? Which part of the island is Fort Chicong located on? North is towards the top of the map, in the third map that covers the local region and farmland? I see the entrances to the underground magazines in each corner; can you provide a hand drawn map of any underground passages or galleries? Can you tell me how many floors and how many rooms per floor in each of these buildings? In regards to where you hid the lock box, I am not sure which staircase you are referring to; can you clarify? Which corner did you destroy before departing - NE, NW, SE, or SW? Did they build it back the destroyed corner to the original plan as when you were there, or did they make alterations?"
The fort is on the west side of the island, please orent by the white road to the main gate. That road orients a hair north of west. The map is old and there is people living on the other side of the hills north west of the fort now. Those are magazines, it was a double door to a passageway to a dorr to a large room with three barred sections for storage of various grades of gunpowder. I can try and remember floor plans, but its been years, the majority of the buildings had 2 floors, officers in the left corner, barracks is the long building on the other side, horses against the gate. Main offices on other side of gate. Various offices and such like for a militaryu to run the 3 buildings on the left.
I believe there was a basement in the main office on the east side, wine, if I remember. Stairwell is is on the office building west side, see the smudge? The engineers told me they took out the SW corner before leaving. I have no idea what they did after that.

About the lock box, Hiro asks "Monthly pay for a battalion sized force? Includes gems and jewelry? How big, just approximately, is the box? How heavy is it? Could one man carry it? Where, exactly is it located? Buried, under the floor, in the walls, or elsewhere? How is it hidden? What would it take to access it?"
"its in a portmantoo my boy, Heavy leather case 4' long, circular with a strap, about a foot or more diameter, made for one man. Under the stones that make the floor, a prybar and a bit of muscle would make short work of the floor. Just enter the room and turn left and dig.

Hiro looks to Monte and any others attending the breakfast, looking to see if they have any comments.
"If the defenders place a machine gun, automatic rifle or small artillery piece at the C or the semi-circular indentations, it would have murderous lanes of fire. With the strong defensive walls, I think gaining entry, via stealth or subterfuge, will be key to success."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Stirling »

Hiro returns Monte's look, then to Sir Lt Dyers says "Of course we will help. How could we not come to he aid of a brave warrior such as yourself? Yes, we have expenses, but I am sure the 50% is fair. My primary concern is not in our payment, but in insuring that you, a noble soldier, can live out your life in comfort and dignity you deserve."
'Great, very altruistic' thinks Marco. He looks at the LT Dyver. 'He's already risked life and limb. Now Hiri wants to risk ours, for what?

What stops us taking 100%? If we are being hired as mercenerary dogs of war. Enter pirate base, shoot on sight, shoot to kill, loot the goods, fly away into the night.

Rather than busting the gates down or sneaking in, can we not get an invitation? Go to the bosses masquerade ball, daughter's wedding, meatfeast barbecue?

If the treasure has been buried in place undiscovered for a while, we surely can take longer to study the place and fact find, gain contacts, check the place out.

Marco muses the above thoughts, staying silent as the basic overview is discussed.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by joertexas »

Stirling wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:08 am
'Great, very altruistic' thinks Marco. He looks at the LT Dyver. 'He's already risked life and limb. Now Hiri wants to risk ours, for what?

What stops us taking 100%? If we are being hired as mercenerary dogs of war. Enter pirate base, shoot on sight, shoot to kill, loot the goods, fly away into the night.

Rather than busting the gates down or sneaking in, can we not get an invitation? Go to the bosses masquerade ball, daughter's wedding, meatfeast barbecue?

If the treasure has been buried in place undiscovered for a while, we surely can take longer to study the place and fact find, gain contacts, check the place out.

Marco muses the above thoughts, staying silent as the basic overview is discussed.
Garett looks at the fort's plan to see if she has anything useful to add.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#131 Post by bsongy »

Hiro says to Sir Lt Dyers and crew mates gathered at the table "How about this for a concept of operations. We plan on take care our other bit of business first, since it is more time critical. But on the way out, we overfly the fort, taking pictures and collecting intelligence of the current situation around the fort. Once we are finished our time critical business, we fly back to the fort and visit the area socially -- see the sites, have a few meals, perhaps gamble a bit -- and during this social visit we can get a bit more detail of the situation on the ground. I would prefer finding a way into Fort Chicong via subterfuge, getting invited in in order to discuss a business deal with the warlord, attend a party being held there, host a barbecue, or so forth. We should also investigate who amoung the crew has Forward Observer experience; The ship's weapons would be our only option for support weapons."

Hiro listens to everyone at the table, insures Sir Lt Dyers that he will be in touch as soon as possible, says his goodbyes and departs with the group.

Once back on the ATV, out of presence of Sir Lt Dyvers, Hiro will comment to the crew "A month's salary for a battalion size unit should come to about 350KCr. But with Tech Level, jewelry and gems vice cash, and an irregular units in the battalion, that value can be as little as half that or as much as double that. If the treasure is there and we recover it, our 50% could likely be stretched even further under the '...first pick...' clause, with us splitting the treasure evenly in number but choosing the most valuable items. But above this, the armament at the fort is a valuable resource. Even a single, local tech level, medium machine gun and ammo could pay for our fuel and life support costs to the next system. But more information about Fort Chicong, and finding a way to be invited into the fort, will be key to success. What comments do you have?" Hiro gives time to listen top everyone's comments, criticisms and ideas.

Once finished the discussion about Fort Chicong, Hiro begins working on the 'time critical business', the island survey and serach for missing scouts. Hiro radios Grapho Beeh of Phoenix Mining, to see if an immediate meeting would be possible.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Stirling »

Marco Hulsebosch

"Great, well thought out. I can go with that." he says, agreeing to the suggested plan.
I will script a longer post covering any additions as I get time more free later in the week.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by joertexas »

bsongy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 am Hiro says to Sir Lt Dyers and crew mates gathered at the table "How about this for a concept of operations. We plan on take care our other bit of business first, since it is more time critical. But on the way out, we overfly the fort, taking pictures and collecting intelligence of the current situation around the fort. Once we are finished our time critical business, we fly back to the fort and visit the area socially -- see the sites, have a few meals, perhaps gamble a bit -- and during this social visit we can get a bit more detail of the situation on the ground. I would prefer finding a way into Fort Chicong via subterfuge, getting invited in in order to discuss a business deal with the warlord, attend a party being held there, host a barbecue, or so forth. We should also investigate who amoung the crew has Forward Observer experience; The ship's weapons would be our only option for support weapons."

Hiro listens to everyone at the table, insures Sir Lt Dyers that he will be in touch as soon as possible, says his goodbyes and departs with the group.

Once back on the ATV, out of presence of Sir Lt Dyvers, Hiro will comment to the crew "A month's salary for a battalion size unit should come to about 350KCr. But with Tech Level, jewelry and gems vice cash, and an irregular units in the battalion, that value can be as little as half that or as much as double that. If the treasure is there and we recover it, our 50% could likely be stretched even further under the '...first pick...' clause, with us splitting the treasure evenly in number but choosing the most valuable items. But above this, the armament at the fort is a valuable resource. Even a single, local tech level, medium machine gun and ammo could pay for our fuel and life support costs to the next system. But more information about Fort Chicong, and finding a way to be invited into the fort, will be key to success. What comments do you have?" Hiro gives time to listen top everyone's comments, criticisms and ideas.

Once finished the discussion about Fort Chicong, Hiro begins working on the 'time critical business', the island survey and serach for missing scouts. Hiro radios Grapho Beeh of Phoenix Mining, to see if an immediate meeting would be possible.
"I'd like to see any historical documents about the fort, including any personal journals or reports the past inhabitants have written," Garett says. "Oftentimes, there is much information there that isn't in the official records."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by The Bindoner »

Monte listens to the discussion while Hiro and the old soldier.

I think a social visit on our way to complete this time-sensitive task would be very useful. If nothing else, I can assess the effectiveness of our ship’s weapons against the defences, and advise where your FO should direct my fire.

In the ATV Monte adds: It will be interesting to look over the fort. Perhaps a coup de main operation will prove possible. We have the Cutter. The local tech doesn’t look up to damaging that.
"I'd like to see any historical documents about the fort, including any personal journals or reports the past inhabitants have written," Garett says. "Oftentimes, there is much information there that isn't in the official records."
A records search is a good idea. Old soldier's memoirs often have photographs and maps.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#135 Post by ateno »

Hiro
Before you go the Lt gives you a card of a gun manufacturer, DL arms with a address Drob is one of my only friends left, he said he would see you as a favor for me, he has quite the shotgun. At your leisure..

Monte
The Bindoner wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:45 pm "Perhaps a coup de main operation will prove possible. We have the Cutter. The local tech doesn’t look up to damaging that."
Do remember Monte, the Cutter is painted as a scout enforcement vessel at this time. Might need a bit of clandestine painting, this TL can remove it, but paint wont hold up in space.

Grapho Beeh is available and when you arrive you are asked to park between two zeppelins. A carriage ride to the building shows a wide 3 story building and Phoenix Mining is on the eastern half or the second floor.

"Gentlemen, Lady, hello and welcome! So glad you could come by. I have a transcript of he last 12 hours of data from the spaceport.

Going thru it you not nothing out of the ordinary, except the navigator was feeling ill on arrival back to the ship on a away mission to pick up a downed drone. No one else was complaining and it was a explained as a 'slight fever and general feeling of blah'. They had a medic 1 Communications terminated with a blast of static right before take off during the final checks.

"So that's what I got, I have a local guide I can send with you that has a lot of experience and languages with many of our brethren. I hope that acceptable."

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#136 Post by bsongy »

Marco said:
"Great, well thought out. I can go with that." he says, agreeing to the suggested plan.

Garrett said:

Monte said:
"I think a social visit on our way to complete this time-sensitive task would be very useful. If nothing else, I can assess the effectiveness of our ship’s weapons against the defences, and advise where your FO should direct my fire."

GM said:
Before you go the Lt gives you a card of a gun manufacturer, DL arms with a address Drob is one of my only friends left, he said he would see you as a favor for me, he has quite the shotgun. At your leisure..
"Very good point, Garrett." While still at breakfast, Hiro will ask Sir Lt Dyers for a list of names of persons he knew were deployed to the fort, at any time, including previous commanders of the fort and so forth.

Turning to Monte, Hiro will ask "Do you think we should stop for a social call near the fort before our 'time critical task', after, or both?"

Hiro thanks Sir Lt Dyvers for the gun manufacturers card.
Later, In the ATV...

Monte adds: It will be interesting to look over the fort. Perhaps a coup de main operation will prove possible. We have the Cutter. The local tech doesn’t look up to damaging that. A records search is a good idea. Old soldier's memoirs often have photographs and maps.
Hiro agrees with Monte. Handing over the list of personnel associated with the fort, that Sir Lt Dyers provided, Hiro says "Garrett could you do some INVESTIGATING, see what you can find out about the fort. Perhaps there will be some HISTORY books or other sources you can find. Monte, you seem rather STREETWISE, knowing who to talk to concerning pirates & smugglers. Perhaps you can find some rumors about what kind of activities are currently ongoing at the fort. Once that is done, if you can do a map study, looking for ways to STEALTH closer to the fort without being seen, in case that becomes necessary, that may serve us well. Marco, would you be willing to make a plan to RECON the fort from the air, picking out the best flight plan to guarantee we get good imaging from all sides. Garrett may be of help with the air RECON plan since she has a good background with SENSORS. We could also use an additional RECON plan from the ground, indicating our best guess where to get the best views of the fort and it's defenses. Gunnar may be of some help with your tasks, he has RECON and HEAVY WEAPONS experience . As well as any of the recruits. Please call on them."

Turning to the two recruits, Hiro asks "What observations do you have about that meeting?

On the way over to Phoenix Mining, Hiro calls the gun manufacturer and inquires the possibility of purchasing eight pump shotguns.
At Phoenix Minining....
Grapho Beeh is available and when you arrive you are asked to park between two zeppelins. A carriage ride to the building shows a wide 3 story building and Phoenix Mining is on the eastern half or the second floor."Gentlemen, Lady, hello and welcome! So glad you could come by. I have a transcript of he last 12 hours of data from the spaceport. Going thru it you not nothing out of the ordinary, except the navigator was feeling ill on arrival back to the ship on a away mission to pick up a downed drone. No one else was complaining and it was a explained as a 'slight fever and general feeling of blah'. They had a medic 1 Communications terminated with a blast of static right before take off during the final checks."So that's what I got, I have a local guide I can send with you that has a lot of experience and languages with many of our brethren. I hope that acceptable."
Hiro makes a point of bringing the two recruits to this meeting also.

"Did they log any of the vital signs of the Navigator?"

"Was the static just on the video or trivid feed? Or was their a similar disruption on the telemetry?"

"What is this local guide's name? What is his work experience? I would have to meet him or her, before giving my answer on acceptability."

After giving the rest of the crew time to ask questions, Hiro begins negotiating the terms of the contract. "Mr Beeh, you have spoken in generalities about our payment for this operation, about paying for a month's charter. But just so there is no misunderstanding, what exact amount will you be paying us? We will be paid in advance? Are we to conduct the survey? Or are we to find the missing scouts? Which do you think should take precedence? What happens if we are unsuccessful with either task?"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by joertexas »

bsongy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:58 amHiro says "Garrett could you do some INVESTIGATING, see what you can find out about the fort. Perhaps there will be some HISTORY books or other sources you can find.
"Of course," Garett replies with a nod. She will start with determining what data sources are available to her here.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Stirling »

Marco Hulsebosch

Sets about the Recon tasks from a bird's-eye view

Marco: Recon 1 skills check [2d6+1]=6+1=7

and any advantage from a ground assault.

Marco: Recon 1 skills check [2d6+1]=5+1=6

Nothing obvious appears to him it seems.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by ateno »

bsongy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:58 am
While still at breakfast, Hiro will ask Sir Lt Dyers for a list of names of persons he knew were deployed to the fort, at any time, including previous commanders of the fort and so forth.
"Oh, I don't have that info, we held it for 2 and a half months, then I was in rehab when we gave it back.

Turning to the two recruits, Hiro asks "What observations do you have about that meeting?

Dundee: He's a straight forward man with nothing to hide, he also wants friends, he's outta money.

Naddie: I wound set the rules with him right away, you might end up with a company of 'Those that were no longer needed.'
Naddie references a short lived vid series of old people taking drastic action, because of age they are the least to be missed or does not need to be cared for. Most popular was 6 getting together is a water rights dispute and blowing the river to change the route.

On the way over to Phoenix Mining, Hiro calls the gun manufacturer and inquires the possibility of purchasing eight pump shotguns.

No phone, you were given the card to call.
At Phoenix Minining....

"Did they log any of the vital signs of the Navigator?"

No they did not, just a temperature of note.

"Was the static just on the video or trivid feed? Or was their a similar disruption on the telemetry?"

Radio static

"What is this local guide's name? What is his work experience? I would have to meet him or her, before giving my answer on acceptability."

Maris Riane, 25 years a mix of hunting guide, secret recon work for his country, master of the rifle, pistol and sword.

After giving the rest of the crew time to ask questions, Hiro begins negotiating the terms of the contract. "Mr Beeh, you have spoken in generalities about our payment for this operation, about paying for a month's charter. But just so there is no misunderstanding, what exact amount will you be paying us? We will be paid in advance? Are we to conduct the survey? Or are we to find the missing scouts? Which do you think should take precedence? What happens if we are unsuccessful with either task?"
They should have finished the survey, if you could find them or at least the survey info, that would be acceptable but don't think me crass, those crewmen's lives are important.. You would be hired at standard contract rates on a day by day basis, and when successful, you would receive another 30 days of contract as a fee, on top of the contract I believe the commission rates at finance is 250 credits per person per day, plus 750 for the ship. Daily check ins, weekly reports as such. do you need a weeks pay to buy fuel and supplies?

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#140 Post by ateno »

joertexas wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:00 am "Of course," Garett replies with a nod. She will start with determining what data sources are available to her here.
At the starport, you can find a grade school level of education (4 paragraphs on the incursion) that is set for the TAS. You might want to see if you could find a local library and study there.

Return to “Koninkrijk - Adventures in a Pocket Empire (Mongoose Traveller)”