Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

#261 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Mounds, south west of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

May 11th 1066
08.45am.

Windy, light rain outside.
Light: Visibility on Moor low, restricted to 60'ft radius.
Lanterns: (Rickford) Firelight from brazier. Light spell (Moriartus).

Conditions:
Moriartus full health
Dougal full health
Fydmar -3hp
Cadeweed -3hp
Marcel -4hp and under Fear effect for this next round.
Two-Birds -5hp
Rickford full health, under Sleep spell effect.
Duval -2hp.
Barrett. Deceased.

The Oval Chamber.

Two-Birds casts her second and final cure spell upon the bleeding hobbit, -1hp bringing Cadeweed back to half health and upon his feet again. +6hp Together they pull the sleeping beauty of Rickford into the guard chamber, slapping him awake.

Moriartus adds more fuel to the fire with cracking open a ceramic flask but the splash only coats a minimal amount of oil to the burning Mummy, -1hp

Duval copies the mage but his thrown flask fails to hit the Mummy or break. He pulls upon the collar of Fydmar, dragging him away roughly from the lurching danger and into the storage room. The roughshoding finally shakes resolve into the dwarf and he recovers his composure.

The oval room creaks under the heat and pressure, threatening to cave in at any moment. Dust and dirt add to the smokey blackness, choking all in the room.

The Mummy is not distracted by the taunts of the ranger. Instead it is drawn to the frightened, frozen and screaming cleric of Ygg and whacks him across the head. Marcel -2hp. It hardly knocks sense into him for he still screams in fear, huddling down on his knees as the insatiable, burning hunger assails him.

Dougal attacks. A critical blow that penetrates the Mummy's throat, slicing open not a vein but a hemp cord and releasing the Mummy from the dragged burden of the boulder. The ranger realises his blade, a sharpened Claymore and cold of iron, is not sufficient to wound the Daddy of Undead.
everyone bar Marcel can act now. It looks desperate for him as he just kneels and screams in fear for one more round and the Mummy will have an advantage to attack him if it chooses.

Also the room is threatening to cave in, so those risking to melee another round could be trapped by the potential roof falling in.

So actions please.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Stuck between a mummy and a hard place, or rather, a collapsing roof, Moriartus knew they were running out of options, and quickly. The sight of the cowering Marcel suddenly morphed into an image of Friar John! His mind still struggling with the memory of recent tragedies, the stricken cleric of Ygg evoked yet another delusion in Moriartus's fragile psyche.

"Dougal, get him out of here, I'll cover you!" He struggles to yell through the choking black smoke filling the room. He backs away towards the passage furthest from Marcel and casts Magic Missile at the mummy.

Magic Missile: [1d4+1]=1+1=2

Plink!
Last edited by Quonundrum on Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Spearmint »

You won't be able to push him that way but can try to grab his collar and pull him free of the Mummy's grasp.

I will ask an initiative roll and a 4d6 vs Dex check to grab the cleric by the collar.

You could cover another more dextrous comrade and cast a magic missile or even try to hit him with the flask of oil that Duval missed with a rolls unopened on the floor?

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Quonundrum »

Okay. Thanks for the input!

With a Strength of 5, pulling is not an option, even if he is able to grab the collar with a Dexterity of 9 ... :lol:

Let me mull some other options and I'll edit my post.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Quonundrum »

Updated post.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#266 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Finally getting his wits, he calls to the others: Lets get out of here; this place can collapse at any minute. Hopefully crushing this foul thing.
He will make for the exit & if time will pull a flask of oil with the intention of making a puddle they can light if the mummy pursues.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Having just been attacked by his friend because of misunderstanding, raised from near death by Two-Birds and then pulled that same friend out of a burning space with a crazed mummy, he does what any sane halfling would do that volunteered to anchor the wizard's tug of war squad - he runs back in to pull out the frightened Cleric. "I am coming for you Marcel!"
Last edited by gurusql on Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Spearmint »

Cadeweed
I will ask an initiative roll and a 4d6 vs Dex check to grab the cleric by the collar.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by gurusql »

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"A'rate, Sir. I'm on it! Be carful!" The ranger helps Cadeweed get the cleric on his feet before helping him (and themselves) out of the place.

In case this is necessary Initiave [1d6]=5

Hard Ability Check [4d6]=14 vs 16 DEX

"Let's get aut o'here!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Mounds, south west of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

May 11th 1066
08.46am.

Windy, light rain outside.
Light: Visibility on Moor low, restricted to 60'ft radius.
Lanterns: (Rickford) Firelight from brazier. Light spell (Moriartus).

Conditions:
Moriartus full health
Dougal full health
Fydmar -3hp
Cadeweed -3hp
Marcel -4hp
Two-Birds -5hp
Rickford full health
Duval -2hp.
Barrett. Deceased.

The Oval Chamber.

The round of melee in the burning, heat intensive, collapsing chamber goes as follows.

Fydmar uncorks some oil, laying a trail of lubricant that could ignite under the steps of the lurching Mummy if it follows through the storage chamber. Duval next to him, picks up and hurls the flask of oil that he tried to crack open upon the creature last time but has the same result, the heavy flask bouncing harmlessly off the flaming cadaver as it bashes his torso and rolling on the floor at the Mummy's feet. Rickford follows suit, adding a second flask to loll about.

There is a minimal implosion though upon the creature as arcane energy erupts from the mage's finger, Moriartus' 'finger of doom' triggering -2hp damage upon it. Two-Birds invokes a holy blessing upon her oak Quarterstaff. The domain gift enhances the stout weapon to be able to breakthrough the resistance to non-magical weapons but in the tight confines, she cannot land a telling blow.

Marcel screams, uttering a prayer for his soul's salvation, a divine intervention at the hour of his death. Two angels do risk life and limb to attempt to rescue him from the jaws of death. Dougal misses the kneeling cleric but Cadeweed grabs him by the collar and pull him a few feet.

The mummy, slow to react would reach the cleric to land a potentially fatal blow but underneath the unstable roof, the above weight of boulder previously dislodged by the ranger, crashes through the sagging rafters and caves the roof in. It lands on top of the Mummy, earth, stone, boulder pinning the creature to the floor. Crucially the two flasks at its feet suffer a crushing blow to crack open and marinate the Mummy as it tries to wriggle free. -5hp

Two-Birds has to dodge free of the incoming collapse as she is the only one still in melee with the Mummy. She is partially caught underneath and takes -4hp putting her health into negative equity. (-2hp).

next round

The Mummy begins to struggle free but his necrotic energy burns out as the flaming oil continues to crisp the critter and turn the cadaver husk into embers of life. -5hp. It is released from its state of undeath.

The group, hunkering down in the two side rooms, drag the unconscious cleric away. The Mummy, dead. Barrett, dead. Two-Birds, comatose, everyone else thankful to be alive.
Upstairs though you find a second challenge. Half of the chamber has collapsed into the Oval room below. Your exit to the exterior now blocked by more stone and earth. You will have to dig your way out, but for now, in the light of the brazier embers and under the watchful gaze of the bronze jackal statues, you can consider the encounter and your options. Marcel invokes a Light spell. "The blessings of Ygg, we live." he says, a little ashamed of his bout of fear.

actions please.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Quonundrum »

Is Barrett's body buried under the rubble, or could I send an Unseen Servant in to retrieve his gear?

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus fumbles with his coat as he reflexively searches for the bottle of complimentary wine usually tucked away in an inside pocket. He sighs, recalling the last bottle was emptied en route on the Moor. Reaching to his belt, he is again thwarted as the pouch of cigars was tossed last night at the zombies in a futile attempt to distract them.

He rubs his deeply furrowed brow with a slightly trembling hand and surveys the room's condition. "I suppose it's just as well with Two-Birds in her current condition. Mr. Fydmar, please assess the effort required to dig ourselves out. I expect we will spend another day and night here, regardless."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Spearmint »

Is Barrett's body buried under the rubble, or could I send an Unseen Servant in to retrieve his gear?
yes he is buried along with the Mummy. You would have to dig him out while shoring up the roof from further collapse. Not impossible, just needs planning.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#275 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Hah, I figured that one! (to Moriartus) On it. He will attempt to ascertain the likelihood of the ceiling collapsing if they were to attempt to dig themselves out. If nothing else comes up, his next action will be to determine the same if they were to remove enough rock to see if there was anything of value in the sarcophagus.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"I can provide an unseen servant to assist with moving any smaller pieces of debris. It is incorporeal, so falling debris is not a concern ... unlike to ourselves, that is."

Casts Unseen Servant and directs it to assist per Fydmar's instructions.

Spell Recovery (17): [4d6+1]=14+1=15

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed volunteers to help Fydmar. While he may not know as much about these things as the dwarf, he does know a thing or two about living in a hole. :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Spearmint »

Casts Unseen Servant and directs it to assist per Fydmar's instructions.
It can only be directed by the mage but between the three of you, (Fyd & Cade), you can begin to carefully move the cave in stones and lumps of earth. The US could drag up to 40lbs, so able to roll stuff away. It is going to take a while though to assess the true nature and risk of the cave in. Basically the entrance dugout collapsed into the Oval Chamber below. The risk is more of the main chamber roof collapsing.

While this area is being surveyed, you can also check out the two siderooms (guard room and storage room) as they are still accessible.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Karaunios »

I'm sorry guys, but I'm quitting the game. For no other reason than lack of time. I started recently a new job completely out of my domain and it has me pretty stressed learning the ropes, and with way less time than before. I hope I don't leave you guys in a situation, also with Spearmint having to play yet another npc.

It's been a pleasure and have enjoyed the game.

Cheers
Last edited by Karaunios on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Good luck with the new job!

As Fydmar begins his assessment of the barrow roof's structural integrity, Moriartus investigates the storage room to inventory the objects there.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”